Why we fight the Covenant in Halo 4

I found out why we fight the Covenant again in Halo 4. They are a faction of the Covenant (now making two Covenants) called Storm. They take the beliefs of the original Covenant and continue them and are apparently looking for a weapon on Requiem which the Prometheans want no one to have. What are your thoughts?

Here’s were I found out about this tidbit of info if you want to see more detail.
http://www.examiner.com/article/halo-4-s-storm-covenant-faction-officially-revealed

Should probably hide that under a spoiler button

It’s still a stupid explanation for the Covenant. After everything that happened to them, to go back on beliefs that were disproven conclusively.

> It’s still a stupid explanation for the Covenant. After everything that happened to them, to go back on beliefs that were disproven conclusively.

Old habits die hard for some I suppose. :confused:

> It’s still a stupid explanation for the Covenant. After everything that happened to them, to go back on beliefs that were disproven conclusively.

Eh it’s just like old racist folk in America, It’s been proven stupid and wrong but they believe it cause thats all they know

> > It’s still a stupid explanation for the Covenant. After everything that happened to them, to go back on beliefs that were disproven conclusively.
>
> Eh it’s just like old racist folk in America, It’s been proven stupid and wrong but they believe it cause thats all they know

I think it’s a bit different. I do get train of thought behind it, but stereotypes and personal experiences can have a lasting impact on someone’s views on others. The Covenant believed the Halos would send them to heaven, 343 Guilty Spark confirmed that is not the case.

> > > It’s still a stupid explanation for the Covenant. After everything that happened to them, to go back on beliefs that were disproven conclusively.
> >
> > Eh it’s just like old racist folk in America, It’s been proven stupid and wrong but they believe it cause thats all they know
>
> I think it’s a bit different. I do get train of thought behind it, but stereotypes and personal experiences can have a lasting impact on someone’s views on others. The Covenant believed the Halos would send them to heaven, 343 Guilty Spark confirmed that is not the case.

Well, kinda of I guess… not all of them heard it from guilty spark though… they heard it out of the mouths of those whole believed him.

its like the nazis, they got pretty much doped in WWII, but there is still others around who think what they did was right, and if they ever get the chance they might try again

> > It’s still a stupid explanation for the Covenant. After everything that happened to them, to go back on beliefs that were disproven conclusively.
>
> Eh it’s just like old racist folk in America, It’s been proven stupid and wrong but they believe it cause thats all they know

Yeah, same thing with the Nazis. They have been proven that -Yoink!- wasn’t a German “messiah” and that he was only out to fill his sick need for the murder of all kinds of races, religions, and sexual affiliations, and that he diddn’t leave them to return to bring them back on their feet, he just commited suicide to save his own skin from the Soviet invasion of Berlin, and they still follow and worship him and his beliefs.

Is it a stupid explanation or is it showing how some members of the covenant could be stubborn and persistent in completing the Great Journey?

It’s the same as people today who refuse to use local transportation simply because they are racist. Racism has died down a heavy lot since the 1900s but they are too stubborn to accept that the law doesn’t agree with racism and segregation like it used to.

The old Covenant will still be there, on Earth following the Arbiter and the loyalists.

> > > It’s still a stupid explanation for the Covenant. After everything that happened to them, to go back on beliefs that were disproven conclusively.
> >
> > Eh it’s just like old racist folk in America, It’s been proven stupid and wrong but they believe it cause thats all they know
>
> I think it’s a bit different. I do get train of thought behind it, but stereotypes and personal experiences can have a lasting impact on someone’s views on others. The Covenant believed the Halos would send them to heaven, 343 Guilty Spark confirmed that is not the case.

Some of them after decades of war couldn’t just swallow peace with humans. They probably thought that everyone that said peace was the correct path, and that the Prophets were wrong, were heretics. Humans weren’t exactly happy eather in Glasslands…

> >
>
> Yeah, same thing with the Nazis. They have been proven that -Yoink!- wasn’t a German “messiah” and that he was only out to fill his sick need for the murder of all kinds of races, religions, and sexual affiliations, and that he diddn’t leave them to return to bring them back on their feet, he just commited suicide to save his own skin from the Soviet invasion of Berlin, and they still follow and worship him and his beliefs.

Yah true but there are only neo--Yoink!-’s and they deny the -Yoink!- lol… whackos

> Some of them after decades of war couldn’t just swallow peace with humans. They probably thought that everyone that said peace was the correct path, and that the Prophets were wrong, were heretics. Humans weren’t exactly happy eather in Glasslands…

And I HATED Glasslands for that very reason. Over 25 years of war and bloodshed and after it ends, oh we have to start ANOTHER fight and not learn a damn thing. And for the folks saying they didn’t hear Guilty Spark, you really think something like that would’ve be broadcasted across the Covenant fleets?

It makes perfect sense considering that the same goes for beliefs in the real world. Why should the Covenant be any different?

> > > > It’s still a stupid explanation for the Covenant. After everything that happened to them, to go back on beliefs that were disproven conclusively.
> > >
> > > Eh it’s just like old racist folk in America, It’s been proven stupid and wrong but they believe it cause thats all they know
> >
> > Yeah, same thing with the Nazis. They have been proven that -Yoink!- wasn’t a German “messiah” and that he was only out to fill his sick need for the murder of all kinds of races, religions, and sexual affiliations, and that he diddn’t leave them to return to bring them back on their feet, he just commited suicide to save his own skin from the Soviet invasion of Berlin, and they still follow and worship him and his beliefs.
>
> Yah true but there are only neo--Yoink!-’s and they deny the -Yoink!- lol… whackos

Yeah. Why would you deny something that has been proven to have happened? I guess that’s a similar mind set to the Covenant post Human-Covenant War. As I stated in my earlier reply to DecepticonCobra, old habits die hard for some I suppose.

>
> It makes perfect sense considering that the same goes for beliefs in the real world. Why should the Covenant be any different?

Except real religions have not been presented actual proof that their religions are false. I get old ways die hard, but it seemed the Elites at the very least were smart enough to start to question what they were told and so it was easier to ally with humanity in the end against the Loyalists. Not so much anymore and it would seem they brought their human killing ideology back, even thought was was founded on a lie as well.

> >
> > It makes perfect sense considering that the same goes for beliefs in the real world. Why should the Covenant be any different?
>
> Except real religions have not been presented actual proof that their religions are false. I get old ways die hard, but it seemed the Elites at the very least were smart enough to start to question what they were told and so it was easier to ally with humanity in the end against the Loyalists. Not so much anymore and it would seem they brought their human killing ideology back, even thought was was founded on a lie as well.

Humans are smarter than animals but some are less intelligent than others. Same goes for Elites

> > > > It’s still a stupid explanation for the Covenant. After everything that happened to them, to go back on beliefs that were disproven conclusively.
> > >
> > > It makes perfect sense considering that the same goes for beliefs in the real world. Why should the Covenant be any different?
> >
> > Except real religions have not been presented actual proof that their religions are false. I get old ways die hard, but it seemed the Elites at the very least were smart enough to start to question what they were told and so it was easier to ally with humanity in the end against the Loyalists. Not so much anymore and it would seem they brought their human killing ideology back, even thought was was founded on a lie as well.
>
> Humans are smarter than animals but some are less intelligent than others. Same goes for Elites

And when one group of humans tries to exterminate the other, the victims don’t tend to try and replicate that same behavior. Why would the Storm Covenant continue killing humans when that was based on a confirmed lie by the Prophet of Truth…who then tried to kill the Elites?

> > > > > It’s still a stupid explanation for the Covenant. After everything that happened to them, to go back on beliefs that were disproven conclusively.
> > > >
> > > > It makes perfect sense considering that the same goes for beliefs in the real world. Why should the Covenant be any different?
> > >
> > > Except real religions have not been presented actual proof that their religions are false. I get old ways die hard, but it seemed the Elites at the very least were smart enough to start to question what they were told and so it was easier to ally with humanity in the end against the Loyalists. Not so much anymore and it would seem they brought their human killing ideology back, even thought was was founded on a lie as well.
> >
> > Humans are smarter than animals but some are less intelligent than others. Same goes for Elites
>
> And when one group of humans tries to exterminate the other, the victims don’t tend to try and replicate that same behavior. Why would the Storm Covenant continue killing humans when that was based on a confirmed lie by the Prophet of Truth…who then tried to kill the Elites?

I’d hate to use uncertain knowledge in a debate, but I read somewhere that some factions of the covenant were already on Requiem and other planets searching for artifacts from Forerunners. The faction on Requiem and other planets may not be informed about the end of the human war or that the Prophets betrayed the Elites. Also victims in some cases will replicate the behavior of their offender, it’s a psychological thing. It’s like lighting a match then causing a wildfire, the wrong actions of the offender could lead to something like the victim starting a mass genocide. Such suddel things can have such extreme effects.

I’ll put it down to weak storytelling to allow a situation where the UNSC can fight the Covenant (or something akin to the Covenant) again. I really would like to know the meaning behind the name… because it sounds just as cheesey and out of place as Infinity.