Why was Jul 'Mdama shafted in the Campaign?

This is one of the big things about the Halo 4 story that has bothered me. Like 'em or not, the first two Kilo-5 novels set up Jul 'Mdama and his reformed Covenants appearance in Halo 4. Yet, why was Jul 'Mdama essentially tossed aside in terms of importance until Spartan Ops? There are some details that indicate that he was meant to have a bigger role, I don’t buy that it was Jul who said “Didact” when the Didact was released from his Cryptum in the cutscene in which that event took place.

The Halo 4 Prologue terminal was about him and his Covenant arriving at Requiem and dialogue from when David Anthony Pizzuto was playing the Didact, before he sadly passed away, indicates a more direct role in the story for the Sangheili. Here is the scene in question. I can only surmise that the person saying they were “Pilgrims on the path of enlightenment” was a Sangheili and even more likely to be Jul.

I just still don’t see why he had no real role in the main campaign. It isn’t like he doesn’t have any background that couldn’t be incorporated. I’d have loved to see him be the primary antagonist to Chief before the Didact showed. Probably would’ve made his appearance in Spartan Ops more meaningful than his name being dropped by Lasky and then just coming into the picture.

Corba can you check your link please. Leads to a 1 hour documentary about Halo not a scene.

Thanks

Agree with what you say. Maybe Jul was the missing levels

> Corba can you check your link please. Leads to a 1 hour documentary about Halo not a scene.
>
> Thanks
>
> Agree with what you say. Maybe Jul was the missing levels

Should’ve been one of those “Link video at current time” kinda of deals. The clip is in there at around 14:50 in. YouTube is weird sometimes.

> I don’t buy that it was Jul who said “Didact” when the Didact was released from his Cryptum in the cutscene in which that event took place.

I never got it when they said this, because when you watch that scene, every Elite there is a Minor Elite. So unless Jul felt like wearing a Minor Elite harness, I don’t really see how it could be him. Doesn’t really sound like him either in comparison to how he sounds in SpOps.

I sort of took it as an example of how much further ahead Jul was when it came to his plan. You didn’t even see him, he was just doing that much better than John, for almost the first time in Halo history.
However, there were points of seeming oversight, like that scene with the Didact. But in saying that, a lot of things got weird when the Didact showed up, so…

After playing through Spartan Ops, I could’ve sworn the Sangheili you’re talking about was named Carmen Sandiego.

Because John was on his own Journey, through John’s actions (predefined) caused the didact to awaken and then that was his Priority, the whole fight with Jul was between him and the UNSC. And besides, if he did have a roll in the campaign odds are he would have been killed off, without him we would not have the basis for Halo (5) which basically revolves around the Janus Key.

I wished we saw jul and Didact talk to one and other get the mental thinking between the two and their overall plan. It would of been invaluable incite between the two.

I think the simplest answer is that they made a decision to feature Jul in SpOps. It’s clearly evident that there were separate writing teams for each project and each one did their own thing.

Blame Josh.