Why was Halo 5's story so bad?

I’d just like to share an excellent video uploaded on YouTube by The Act Man.

His constructive criticism should be given the attention it deserves and should be directed directly to 343 on behalf of all of us.

Click HERE to watch part 1

Click HERE to watch part 2

Yes I love the Act Man. I just wish he’d upload more videos. I hope 343 sees his videos.

It is one man named Brian Reed. That is why the story is bad.

> 2533274974081836;3:
> It is one man named Brian Reed. That is why the story is bad.

This. The guy’s a comic book writer, and he looks at Halo 5 and thinks the comic approach will work with a totally different medium with a totally different idea than comics.

> 2535456575907503;4:
> > 2533274974081836;3:
> > It is one man named Brian Reed. That is why the story is bad.
>
>
> This. The guy’s a comic book writer, and he looks at Halo 5 and thinks the comic approach will work.

One must also lay blame at the feet of those who approved his hiring. This is more an trend with the 343/MS connection. One step forward (H4 campaign), 8 steps back (H5 campaign).

i think the halo 5 campaign was fine. i found it just as enjoyable as 4’s. not having chief as the main guy, does not automatically make it a bad campaign, it’s not like he is the only one on the cover.

my issue with the halo 5 campaign, is the issue i have with all halo campaigns, the missions themselves are SUPER boring.

they need to really take the call of duty approach (yes the call of duty approach) and put it on rails, not make it a corridor shooter of course, but a little more streamlined

like talking to sarah palmer was really a mission objective??? or walking around and listening for the wherabouts of blue team? seriously??

the missions drag on too long and you have too much space. are MY personal issues with the halo 5, and even more so, halo campaigns in general

> 2533274827519891;6:
> i think the halo 5 campaign was fine. i found it just as enjoyable as 4’s. not having chief as the main guy, does not automatically make it a bad campaign, it’s not like he is the only one on the cover.
>
> my issue with the halo 5 campaign, is the issue i have with all halo campaigns, the missions themselves are SUPER boring.
>
> they need to really take the call of duty approach (yes the call of duty approach) and put it on rails, not make it a corridor shooter of course, but a little more streamlined
>
> like talking to sarah palmer was really a mission objective??? or walking around and listening for the wherabouts of blue team? seriously??
>
> the missions drag on too long and you have too much space. are MY personal issues with the halo 5, and even more so, halo campaigns in general

I agree on halo not being all about chief, unfortunately not many like to see it that way. I do disagree on halo playing as “boring” tho. Even h5 has some fun to be had, the main issue with h5 is terrible execution and the false ads that gave us different impressions on the game, that and how h5 really isn’t a sequal to h4 being how h5 negated so much that h4 setup. I also disagree on taking the CoD approach cuz CoD has yet to have a good campaign since MW2 if you ask me. I also disagree on the campaign having to much space, if you really look at it, every halo is pretty much a corridor game with a few open spaces here and there.

> 2533274827519891;6:
> i think the halo 5 campaign was fine. i found it just as enjoyable as 4’s. not having chief as the main guy, does not automatically make it a bad campaign, it’s not like he is the only one on the cover.
>
> my issue with the halo 5 campaign, is the issue i have with all halo campaigns, the missions themselves are SUPER boring.
>
> they need to really take the call of duty approach (yes the call of duty approach) and put it on rails, not make it a corridor shooter of course, but a little more streamlined
>
> like talking to sarah palmer was really a mission objective??? or walking around and listening for the wherabouts of blue team? seriously??
>
> the missions drag on too long and you have too much space. are MY personal issues with the halo 5, and even more so, halo campaigns in general

Don’t take this the wrong way, but I hope they don’t take your advice. You want more rail sequences? You, as the player, enjoy being limited to watching a really predictable sequence unfold and have little to no say with what’s going on?

I mean… to each their own I suppose but this modern trend of limiting player choice needs to go away. We don’t need less choice, we need more.

You also say the mission may drag on and have too much space. I don’t get that. Since when have people wanted a short campaign? Halo 5 was the shortest mainline halo game to date with the smallest battle spaces. You want more of that as well?

I think it is universally agreed upon that the 3 “missions” where you talk to like 2 people were a horrible decision.

> 2533274812650916;8:
> > 2533274827519891;6:
> > i think the halo 5 campaign was fine. i found it just as enjoyable as 4’s. not having chief as the main guy, does not automatically make it a bad campaign, it’s not like he is the only one on the cover.
> >
> > my issue with the halo 5 campaign, is the issue i have with all halo campaigns, the missions themselves are SUPER boring.
> >
> > they need to really take the call of duty approach (yes the call of duty approach) and put it on rails, not make it a corridor shooter of course, but a little more streamlined
> >
> > like talking to sarah palmer was really a mission objective??? or walking around and listening for the wherabouts of blue team? seriously??
> >
> > the missions drag on too long and you have too much space. are MY personal issues with the halo 5, and even more so, halo campaigns in general
>
>
> Don’t take this the wrong way, but I hope they don’t take your advice. You want more rail sequences? You, as the player, enjoy being limited to watching a really predictable sequence unfold and have little to no say with what’s going on?
>
> I mean… to each their own I suppose but this modern trend of limiting player choice needs to go away. We don’t need less choice, we need more.
>
> You also say the mission may drag on and have too much space. I don’t get that. Since when have people wanted a short campaign? Halo 5 was the shortest mainline halo game to date with the smallest battle spaces. You want more of that as well?
>
> I think it is universally agreed upon that the 3 “missions” where you talk to like 2 people were a horrible decision.

Actually they honestly werent that bad, only took a minute or two to complete each one.

> 2533274827519891;6:

Its numbered halo game and thats not really the problem anyway. Locke was as dull as it gets and he held the spotlight for most of the campaign. And dont even get me started on things like Jul Mdamas death which was just thrown in their to make Locke look cool (when really it just made Jul look like an idiot).

> 2535406272231884;9:
> > 2533274812650916;8:
> > > 2533274827519891;6:
> > > i think the halo 5 campaign was fine. i found it just as enjoyable as 4’s. not having chief as the main guy, does not automatically make it a bad campaign, it’s not like he is the only one on the cover.
> > >
> > > my issue with the halo 5 campaign, is the issue i have with all halo campaigns, the missions themselves are SUPER boring.
> > >
> > > they need to really take the call of duty approach (yes the call of duty approach) and put it on rails, not make it a corridor shooter of course, but a little more streamlined
> > >
> > > like talking to sarah palmer was really a mission objective??? or walking around and listening for the wherabouts of blue team? seriously??
> > >
> > > the missions drag on too long and you have too much space. are MY personal issues with the halo 5, and even more so, halo campaigns in general
> >
> >
> > Don’t take this the wrong way, but I hope they don’t take your advice. You want more rail sequences? You, as the player, enjoy being limited to watching a really predictable sequence unfold and have little to no say with what’s going on?
> >
> > I mean… to each their own I suppose but this modern trend of limiting player choice needs to go away. We don’t need less choice, we need more.
> >
> > You also say the mission may drag on and have too much space. I don’t get that. Since when have people wanted a short campaign? Halo 5 was the shortest mainline halo game to date with the smallest battle spaces. You want more of that as well?
> >
> > I think it is universally agreed upon that the 3 “missions” where you talk to like 2 people were a horrible decision.
>
>
> Actually they honestly werent that bad, only took a minute or two to complete each one.

And that’s the problem. I want a longer campaign (as do most people). Two minutes to complete them, and having them be considered missions is absolutely absurd.

One of the main reasons is due to they had rewrite half way through development taking a lot of their time off Halo MP.

Because Microsoft heard the cries of the worst kind of fans and try to appeal to them. This included bringing cortana back.