Why was Erebus VII abandoned...?

I know there is a 99.9% this won’t get brought up in future parts of the Halo story, but I wanna know, why exactly was Erebus VII abandoned, and why we never went back, so far. This is very eerie and mysterious, I like it :).

The creatures maybe.

Maybe it will be expanded upon in future media, or even Halo 5. Like Erickyboo said, probably has to do with the creatures in the tanks.

> Maybe it will be expanded upon in future media, or even Halo 5. Like Erickyboo said, probably has to do with the creatures in the tanks.

You know thats my one bone to pick with Halo lore, humans have no doubt seen THOUSANDS of alien fauna and flora. Maybe some easily “domestic” enough to use, other probably to exotic and dangerous like those on Erebus VII.

However why don’t humans capture them and i don’t know unleash them on the covenant or on innies?

It would certainly scare them, pretty severe scare tactics.

Is it ethical?

Yes, because the likelihood of the enemy knowing how to fight such dangerous beasts is next to none.

Anyone think those creatures could be a Pheru sub-species that was imported to Erebus VII?

> Anyone think those creatures could be a Pheru sub-species that was imported to Erebus VII?

Funny you mention that, they always struck me as something like that.

> Anyone think those creatures could be a Pheru sub-species that was imported to Erebus VII?

I dunno, Pheru were described as being natural herbivores.

If those things are herbivores than I don’t wanna know what the plants they eat are like.

> > Maybe it will be expanded upon in future media, or even Halo 5. Like Erickyboo said, probably has to do with the creatures in the tanks.
>
> You know thats my one bone to pick with Halo lore, humans have no doubt seen THOUSANDS of alien fauna and flora. Maybe some easily “domestic” enough to use, other probably to exotic and dangerous like those on Erebus VII.
>
> However why don’t humans capture them and i don’t know unleash them on the covenant or on innies?
>
> It would certainly scare them, pretty severe scare tactics.

That’s like trying to use bears, wolves, elephants and other such animals in battle though. It’ll have serious downsides that weigh down the upsides.

> Yes, because the likelihood of the enemy knowing how to fight such dangerous beasts is next to none.

Does that make it ethical though? Forcing vulnerable, non-consenting creatures that have no idea of the concept of war to fight your battles for you? It’s a bit like using children (Whoops, that hasn’t been done in the Halo universe before though has it?).

> > > Maybe it will be expanded upon in future media, or even Halo 5. Like Erickyboo said, probably has to do with the creatures in the tanks.
> >
> > You know thats my one bone to pick with Halo lore, humans have no doubt seen THOUSANDS of alien fauna and flora. Maybe some easily “domestic” enough to use, other probably to exotic and dangerous like those on Erebus VII.
> >
> > However why don’t humans capture them and i don’t know unleash them on the covenant or on innies?
> >
> > It would certainly scare them, pretty severe scare tactics.
>
> <mark>That’s like trying to use bears, wolves, elephants and other such animals in battle though. It’ll have serious downsides that weigh down the upsides.</mark>
>
>
>
> > Yes, because the likelihood of the enemy knowing how to fight such dangerous beasts is next to none.
>
> <mark>Does that make it</mark> <mark>ethical[</mark>/b] <mark>though? Forcing vulnerable, non-consenting creatures that have no idea of the concept of war to fight your battles for you? It’s a bit like using children (Whoops, that hasn’t been done in the Halo universe before though has it?).</mark>
> **
[/quote]
Well you have good point there.**
> But i am not saying that they start replacing the ranks with space dragons lol but i mean as a way to scare them maybe release them behind enemy lines with armor and only enough to survive a couple shots. In that way when the UNSC moves in the enemy is already scared to death and we pick them off.
> And nice allusion to children ;))))

> Maybe it will be expanded upon in future media, or even Halo 5. Like Erickyboo said, probably has to do with the creatures in the tanks.

I’d like it to be featured in an episode of the Halo TV series. That would be quite entertaining.

War is -never- ethical. No matter the situation, or the circumstances. It’s always morally wrong to attack someone who has done wrong, but people will do it anyway. When it comes to fighting a war, animal life is no exception. I’m not saying it’s a good thing to throw animals in the mix of this war, but they are at the same verge as humanity at this point. Either fight back, or perish. So in this case, I’d have to say it is right to use animals to kill, or even scare, the Covenant forces, but it’s never ethical.

War itself is unethical. This question is rhetorical.
Unethical: Yes.
Needed: Yes. (As much as people would love it not to be needed, we do need war.)

I haven’t seen the map myself in H4, but its possible that it was abandoned because of failed experimentation or something to that degree. We know ONI has been up to some pretty shady deals in the past (Mona Lisa event) so its entirely possible something similar was happening here and it got out of hand.

Pheru were herbivores but that was over 100k years ago. Evolution, my friend. Change over time.

Yeah, they could be related to the Pheru infected with the Flood powder. Thus driving the Scientists insane when they were exposed to it, possibly resulting in a mass-suicide. Either way, it’s a dark concept.

That forest in the background is so creepy.

I really wish I could explore it. That would be the coolest level ever.

I really want to know now

This is out there, but what if it’s explored in Mortal Dictata

> Is it ethical?

Considering how the native animals would get killed by the Covenant anyways. . . I guess it wouldn’t hurt to use them.

Back on topic, I once made a topic about how the creatures may be linked to the Promethean Crawlers.

Link Here

Besides that, they’re probably going to be completely irrelevant to the story, and we’ll never hear about them again.

Well, with the planet being called Erebus, something was bound to go wrong.

> > Is it ethical?
>
> Considering how the native animals would get killed by the Covenant anyways. . . I guess it wouldn’t hurt to use them.
>
>
> Back on topic, I once made a topic about how the creatures may be linked to the Promethean Crawlers.
>
> Link Here
>
> Besides that, they’re probably going to be completely irrelevant to the story, and we’ll never hear about them again.

Actually, The Crawlers are not related to any composed being. They are just constructed by Watchers from raw materials in the ground during battle.

If anything, I’d think that the creatures on Abandon are mutated Pheru. And when the ONI Scientists were studying the planet, they were exposed to the Precursor powder. The powder’s effect on the scientists minds likely drove them mad, and they probably all committed suicide in insanity. Or maybe they started eating each other… What fun.