Why the MA37?

It’s true that Halo Infinite is trying to evoke classic Halo aesthetics, but why did 343 choose the MA37 from Reach over the MA5B or MA5C from CE or 3? I’m aware of the weapons shortage theory that everyone has for the reintroduction of old tech, but why specifically the Reach AR? Theories?

I don’t know too much about existing theories, but could it be that the AR used at the time of the events in Reach is more resistant to tampering by smart AI that have gone rampant/rogue? Additionally, maybe it’s the most advanced weapon that is resistant to such tampering which is why the UNSC is choosing to use it.

Here’s a theory I’ve just come up with:

That isn’t an MA37. It’s the latest iteration of the MA5… perhaps even called an MA6. The fact that it looks like an MA37 could be because the UNSC recognized some of the benefits from that particular design and chose to reintroduce that design going forward.

Probably not the case, but I figured I’d throw my two cents in.

Because they wanted it to look like the MA37.

This obsession with needing a “lore” explanation for every visual change is how we get nonsense like the “nanobots” explanation for Halo 4. When we have something like this where it is very clearly an AR of some type, I don’t see we why we can’t chalk it up to artistic license and call it a day.

Most probably it’s just a placeholder. The textures of that specific model are more muted, so it’s easier to use in a trailer. I guess something among those lines was the real reason for why 343i used it, It’s among the most probable resons realistically speaking. I doubt the AR design/version in Hi wasn’t even decided upon back than!

> 2533274819446242;4:
> Because they wanted it to look like the MA37.
>
> This obsession with needing a “lore” explanation for every visual change is how we get nonsense like the “nanobots” explanation for Halo 4. When we have something like this where it is very clearly an AR of some type, I don’t see we why we can’t chalk it up to artistic license and call it a day.

You make a fair point. Sometimes I do feel that 343 goes too far with their lore justifications for every minute detail. Chief’s armor in H4 is a great example of 343 overthinking the issue instead of just coming right out and saying they wanted to try a different art style (I still kinda cringe thinking about the nanobots thing).

But as a lore nerd, it’s just fun to come up with theories and ideas about the stuff we are shown and given by 343. The problem that often arises is the community is dissatisfied with a decision by 343 and demand an explanation. Since 343 is just trying to make their fans happy while also doing their own thing, they come up with lore explanations for every little change they make.

Though to be fair, 343 loves cramming Easter Eggs wherever they can. They even apparently had a bet going for how long it would take for us to find the hidden Cortana dialogue. So sometimes there’s more there than meets the eye, and discussing an aspect of some piece of content can be illuminating in that respect.

> 2533274824050480;2:
> I don’t know too much about existing theories, but could it be that the AR used at the time of the events in Reach is more resistant to tampering by smart AI that have gone rampant/rogue? Additionally, maybe it’s the most advanced weapon that is resistant to such tampering which is why the UNSC is choosing to use it.

Ah, yes, hackable non-electronic guns.

> 2533274819446242;4:
> Because they wanted it to look like the MA37.
>
> This obsession with needing a “lore” explanation for every visual change is how we get nonsense like the “nanobots” explanation for Halo 4. When we have something like this where it is very clearly an AR of some type, I don’t see we why we can’t chalk it up to artistic license and call it a day.

Except that Halo is a franchise that always has lore tied to its artistic choices. Gameplay is obviously going to be separate because Chief wouldn’t run at one speed throughout a mission, for example. It’s fine in other games, but the art and lore have always gone hand in hand (though one might go before the other) in Halo and there are people like myself who always appreciate that effort.

The nanobots thing isn’t the greatest explanation admittedly, but that’s on 343i rather than lore fans to sort out. It’s safe to say 343i loves lore too because their lore since then has been pretty solid for whatever explanations they have. Tying lore and art together only leads to a more unified and fitting universe and I hope to see that continue.

> 2535462145233570;7:
> > 2533274824050480;2:
> > I don’t know too much about existing theories, but could it be that the AR used at the time of the events in Reach is more resistant to tampering by smart AI that have gone rampant/rogue? Additionally, maybe it’s the most advanced weapon that is resistant to such tampering which is why the UNSC is choosing to use it.
>
> Ah, yes, hackable non-electronic guns.

I don’t know if you have looked at the AR recently, but there is a fairly large screen right on top. There is also a computer contained within, so it’s not accurate to call it “non-electronic.”

> 2533274824050480;8:
> I don’t know if you have looked at the AR recently, but there is a fairly large screen right on top. There is also a computer contained within, so it’s not accurate to call it “non-electronic.”

The MA5 series uses an electronic system to let you know how much ammo it has, what direction is magnetic ‘north’, and a few other ‘housekeeping functions’ (The last part’s according to Halopedia and likely maintenance related). But there’s nothing electronic about the safety or the gas system, or really any part of the gun that allows it to fire.

And if that ends up the excuse, it’ll be as bad if not worse than Power Armor cryosleep nanobots.

> 2535462145233570;9:
> > 2533274824050480;8:
> > I don’t know if you have looked at the AR recently, but there is a fairly large screen right on top. There is also a computer contained within, so it’s not accurate to call it “non-electronic.”
>
> The MA5 series uses an electronic system to let you know if it’s clean, how much ammo it has, what direction is magnetic ‘north’, and a few other ‘housekeeping functions’ (Likely also maintenance related.) . But there’s nothing electronic about the safety or the gas system, or really any part of the gun that allows it to fire.
>
> And if that ends up the excuse, it’ll be as bad if not worse than Power Armor cryosleep nanobots.

Ahh I see what you’re saying now. Agreed, that wouldn’t be too great of a story really.

Aside from telling us that the old artstyle will be incorporated into Infinite, the answer for the MA37’s appearance is rather simple in my mind. With the UNSC on the defensive against the Created (especially since Earth was hit with an EMP blast at the end of H5, likely knocking out their manufacturing capacity to make weapons), they’ll have to scavenge for older, outdated weapons and tech like the MA37 to compensate for weapon shortages.

For me, it’s safe to assume the Swords of Sanghelios would do the same. For example, they’d bring back the original Plasma Rifles to arm their forces should Storm Rifles be in short supply.

it might just be the most readily available, as there were a lot left over from the war

The Reach AR looks pretty dang cool.

> 2535429593088083;11:
> Aside from telling us that the old artstyle will be incorporated into Infinite, the answer for the MA37’s appearance is rather simple in my mind. With the UNSC on the defensive against the Created (especially since Earth was hit with an EMP blast at the end of H5, likely knocking out their manufacturing capacity to make weapons), they’ll have to scavenge for older, outdated weapons and tech like the MA37 to compensate for weapon shortages.
>
> For me, it’s safe to assume the Swords of Sanghelios would do the same. For example, they’d bring back the original Plasma Rifles to arm their forces should Storm Rifles be in short supply.

Is the MA37 “outdated” though? Im pretty sure Misrah hasn’t adjusted the internal workings of the MA line in over a century. Its really just the external parts.

I don’t think its the MA37 more of a clone of it. We saw in H5 that the assault rifles could change. Different optics, scopes, attachments etc. The MA37 looks like it has a detachable ammo counter so if they wanted to embrace an attachment system than going for a look/clone of the MA37 would be best suit.

But thats my opinion, plus the MA37 is probably one of the best looking

> 2535429593088083;11:
> Aside from telling us that the old artstyle will be incorporated into Infinite, the answer for the MA37’s appearance is rather simple in my mind. With the UNSC on the defensive against the Created (especially since Earth was hit with an EMP blast at the end of H5, likely knocking out their manufacturing capacity to make weapons), they’ll have to scavenge for older, outdated weapons and tech like the MA37 to compensate for weapon shortages.
>
> For me, it’s safe to assume the Swords of Sanghelios would do the same. For example, they’d bring back the original Plasma Rifles to arm their forces should Storm Rifles be in short supply.

Not to mention that dozens of core worlds and even more colony worlds that were glassed resulting in a devastated economy on a logistical level. New ships, weapons, etc should result in less than 50% production. Not to mention the work force was essentially murdered due to the war. Like I can’t see the UNCS getting any large and new ships and armies without a huge time skip or access to forerunner/ancient human armories. Using any outdated or alien equipment would be extremely rational at this point for halo.

Maybe they liked the look of it the most. Sparth said something along the lines of Infinite’s art style being a combination of the best all the Halos have to offer.

I think it would be very interesting to introduce different generations of all weapons for Infinite, especially for Warzone. I know it would be taxing to make the textures but imagine playing warzone, going to AR, and having the choice between the MA5C or MA5D! BR55 or HBR85? M6C or M6G? Likely it won’t happen, but considering Infinite is going all out, it’d be amazing to see.

> 2533274795098161;5:
> Most probably it’s just a placeholder. The textures of that specific model are more muted, so it’s easier to use in a trailer. I guess something among those lines was the real reason for why 343i used it, It’s among the most probable resons realistically speaking. I doubt the AR design/version in Hi wasn’t even decided upon back than!

If they’re reusing textures from H2A and HW2, then it would make sense for it to be a placeholder as the AR in HW2 was the MA37 (Which made sense as the Spirit of Fire has been gone so long).

> 2533274859620752;13:
> The Reach AR looks pretty dang cool.

A fair point.

> 2533274819446242;4:

Visual changes need lore explanations though. If what we see in the games is canon, then why would we not want an explanation?

> 2535435902217648;3:
> That isn’t an MA37. It’s the latest iteration of the MA5… perhaps even called an MA6. The fact that it looks like an MA37 could be because the UNSC recognized some of the benefits from that particular design and chose to reintroduce that design going forward.
> Probably not the case, but I figured I’d throw my two cents in.

I think the next generation of MA5 would be the MA5E. An MA6 platform would be too similar sounding to the M6 series of magnums.

> 2535462145233570;7:
> > 2533274824050480;2:
> > I don’t know too much about existing theories, but could it be that the AR used at the time of the events in Reach is more resistant to tampering by smart AI that have gone rampant/rogue? Additionally, maybe it’s the most advanced weapon that is resistant to such tampering which is why the UNSC is choosing to use it.
>
> Ah, yes, hackable non-electronic guns.

Hackable, non-electronic guns that have a wireless connection to your helmet’s HUD. A connection that can be hijacked into the helmet’s operating system and shut down remotely. /headcanon

> 2533274973681092;18:
> > 2533274819446242;4:
> > This obsession with needing a “lore” explanation for every visual change is how we get nonsense like the “nanobots” explanation for Halo 4. When we have something like this where it is very clearly an AR of some type, I don’t see we why we can’t chalk it up to artistic license and call it a day.
>
> Visual changes need lore explanations though. If what we see in the games is canon, then why would we not want an explanation?

Because it often ends up resulting in ugly, messy explanations that only make things more cumbersome and otherwise holds back artistic expression.

I don’t need an explanation for this Scarab to know its a Scarab and that it is likely going to Scarab things. Likewise, I don’t see much value in twisting ourselves into knots trying to explain why the UNSC still has Assault Rifles…

Trying to seamlessly hold together the various artistic decisions from a huge number of different artists across numerous artistic mediums is not feasible. And the explanations we do get from trying to do this are often disappointing and rarely adds anything of value to the narrative. RE: “Nanobots” or “Actually they are a different phenotype.”