Why the Br SHOULD be the best

So just from getting on the forums here after what seems like forever, I’ve been hearing a lot about why the AR should be able to kill someone with a BR at a good distance, and I don’t quite understand why people don’t understand Halo’s balancing system. I also don’t understand why people think that it’s just what weapon you have that matters, not how skilled you are with it. Anyways, I’ll try to help people understand.

  • FIrst off, in any FPS ever made there is always going to be the “Best weapon overall”, and for Halo 2-3 that has been the BR. Well why the BR? The reason the BR is the most powerful is because it takes the most skill to use, especially in Halo 3. Now does that mean that the BR was overpowered in Halo 3 compared to other weapons? No, of course not, anyone that isn’t stupid can easilly kill another player at close range with the AR or SMG, and guess what? The guy using his BR against the close quarters AR is screwed. Another point to be made in this is that the AR doesn’t take much skill to use, it was designed to be an easy to use weapon at close quarters. Now because the BR could kill another player with the AR at a decent distance, bungie decided it would be a good idea to reduce the range of the BR so that you couldn’t snipe people like in Halo 2 with it, which would have rendered the AR almost totally worthless, UNLESS you make the AR’s range extended.
  • Making the AR’s range extended? That is what 343 did in the Halo 5 beta to make up for the BR acting more like it does in Halo 2 than Halo 3, and to me it simply ruins the way the weapons work and the gameplay period.
  • Another thing to point out about Halo 5 is how much bullet magnetism everthing has, and if not bullet magnetism, then why is it so easy to land shots on targets period? If Halo 5 retains how easy it was to land shots on people similiar to the Beta, then this (for me anyways) will ruin Halo just like it did with Halo 4.
  • So reguarding the last 2 bullets together, this means that when fighting someone in Halo 5, for instance a quick 1v1 battle, if the guy with the BR rushes towards the enemy with an AR, he is most likely going to die, but if he camps far away than he will easilly kill his enemy. Now you’re probably saying to yourself, “well duh of course that’s going to happen, that’s how it worked in other Halo games”, and that would be partially correct. However, In other Halo games the skill gap was larger, meaning that maybe the guy with the BR can get very close to the guy with the AR, and still kill him because, he is simply better. The problem with Halo 5, again like I said before, is how easy it is to land your shots with any weapon period, this means that even though one person is better than the other, the guy with the BR has to resort camping back with his BR because he knows the enemy can easilly outgun him with the AR no matter what he does at close range.
  • And finally, what about BR battles? In past Halo games the better guy would come up on top almost every time in a BR battle, simply because he was better, but now, since the BR is easy to use, neither of the 2 guys have that big of a chance to even miss their target once, so what happens? Well the answer is really easy actually, the winner is the person who shot first a huge chunk of the time, and I know for a fact that is wasn’t like that in past Halo games, but guess what? It is now.
  • Lastly, to help clarify on how easy the game is, lets start with a simple percentage that I completely made up in my head. So lets say that Halo 3 started someone off at a skill level of 25%, so there was a huge margin of skill left, a 75% chunk that you had to learn or get better at. So another example is Reach, lets say it started people off with a 50% skill level already, so they can only have a 50% more increase to get better, it’s easier than Halo 3 to get used to and be better at just because of the easier game mechanics, alright? But then Halo 5 comes out, and holy poop sauce the game starts you at a 75% skill level, wow not much to learn is there? Only 25% to get better. This means that most people are now on even ground in Halo 5, because it’s so easy to get a little better, but once 25% better… you are at max. That is how the Halo 5 beta felt to me, if I’m getting all my shots in with the BR and so is everyone else at the start of the Beta, then yes the game is too easy. And sadly enough, this is how basically all newer FPS games are feelling to me, and it’s obviously because the market is bigger for casualls than for competitives, it’s just sad that there are no games out there anymore that take a decent amount of skill, I just hope Halo 5 won’t have that huge given percentage of skill like it did in the Beta.Ok, I’m really getting sick of people saying that I’m thinking the BR should be the best weapon… and leaving it at that. Im saying THE BR NEEDS TO BE THE HARDEST WEAPON TO USE BUT STILL BE THE BEST OVERALL. So do you people understand that the BR shouldn’t be the weapon of everyones choosing, because most people shouldn’t be able to use it if they are a noob, that’s what other weapons are for.

No ones gonna read all that.
And I don’t know what ur trying to say but I will say this…

its about time the AR was relevant.
Halo4 was ALMOST usable!
Halo5s is perfect!

I can an still out Shoot AR users with my BR and I guess that’s why I not sooking about the AR.

When I used the AR in h5 it was actually fun for the first time. The only thing i would nerf on It is the head shot bonuses when zoomed in. And even that’s not too OP.

like I said in my post which I now know you didn’t read, in Halo 5 the AR might as well be a guarenteed kill at close range, obviously that means it’s not useless, especially against a BR

Not even going to read, if the title is relevant than weapon balance is a nonexistent concept to the OP, and if it isn’t than it’s clickbait that I don’t support.

again, if you would read this through you would understand why the title says what it says, the BR should be the most powerful non power weapon, but only if it’s the hardest non power weapon to use

Lol, I almost quit reading after the classic “The BR takes skill” line, but the “Halo 5’s bullet magnetism is almost as bad as 4’s” line is what finally did me in. If it wasn’t for the badge, I’d say you didn’t even play the beta.

Condense your wall of text, come back with more logical arguments, and we’ll talk.

I am in full support of taking the BR down as the go-to most powerful non power weapon in halo. I’m sick and tired of everyone using it exclusively at the higher ranks. I’ve already played those games. Let’s let other weapons shine for this one IMO. I read through most of the OP, not all of it. The last point really confused me about skill rank. I think a smaller skill gap is a good thing, but then again I fall under that

> 2533274832140639;1:
> - casualls

category.

Happy Haloing!

> 2533274973030620;6:
> Lol, I almost quit reading after the classic “The BR takes skill” line, but the “Halo 5’s bullet magnetism is almost as bad as 4’s” line is what finally did me in. If it wasn’t for the badge, I’d say you didn’t even play the beta.
>
> Condense your wall of text, come back with more logical arguments, and we’ll talk.

The BR was easy to use in the Beta, along with every other weapon, if that doesn’t convince you than there is no point in arguing because it’s evidently just preference.

> 2533274803493024;7:
> I am in full support of taking the BR down as the go-to most powerful non power weapon in halo. I’m sick and tired of everyone using it exclusively at the higher ranks. I’ve already played those games. Let’s let other weapons shine for this one IMO. I read through most of the OP, not all of it. The last point really confused me about skill rank. I think a smaller skill gap is a good thing, but then again I fall under that
>
>
> > 2533274832140639;1:
> > - casualls
>
>
> category.
>
> Happy Haloing!

that is fine for going under the casual category, it’s just that maybe the casuals shouldn’t be about as good as the competitives in every friggin game that is next gen lol, there just isn’t a game for people like me to play without getting frustrated because everything is so easy for everyone.

> 2533274832140639;9:
> > 2533274803493024;7:
> > I am in full support of taking the BR down as the go-to most powerful non power weapon in halo. I’m sick and tired of everyone using it exclusively at the higher ranks. I’ve already played those games. Let’s let other weapons shine for this one IMO. I read through most of the OP, not all of it. The last point really confused me about skill rank. I think a smaller skill gap is a good thing, but then again I fall under that
> >
> >
> > > 2533274832140639;1:
> > > - casualls
> >
> >
> > category.
> >
> > Happy Haloing!
>
>
> that is fine for going under the casual category, it’s just that maybe the casuals shouldn’t be about as good as the competitives in every friggin game that is next gen lol, there just isn’t a game for people like me to play without getting frustrated because everything is so easy for everyone.

Why can’t casual gamers be better at a game than competitive gamers? It’s not that crazy of a concept. IMO, what makes someone good at Halo is map positioning, situational awareness, and teamwork. Not how good they are with a spawn weapon.

> 2533274832140639;8:
> > 2533274973030620;6:
> > Lol, I almost quit reading after the classic “The BR takes skill” line, but the “Halo 5’s bullet magnetism is almost as bad as 4’s” line is what finally did me in. If it wasn’t for the badge, I’d say you didn’t even play the beta.
> >
> > Condense your wall of text, come back with more logical arguments, and we’ll talk.
>
>
> The BR was easy to use in the Beta, along with every other weapon, if that doesn’t convince you than there is no point in arguing because it’s evidently just preference.

The BR wasn’t that easy to use in the beta. If you came across another Br user at a close distance to eachother it was harder to aim/strafe and get the kill than in any other Halo game. But you keep up with your false truths and long paragraphs.

Br never took skill, except h3. But everyone wanted team brs it wasnt fun. The ar takes more skill to use in any halo - h2 smg also - than the br ever did. (if you kill br person with ar, your skilled, h2 smg kill a br person, that takes skill, not 4 head shots ,repeat)

> 2533274803493024;10:
> > 2533274832140639;9:
> > > 2533274803493024;7:
> > > I am in full support of taking the BR down as the go-to most powerful non power weapon in halo. I’m sick and tired of everyone using it exclusively at the higher ranks. I’ve already played those games. Let’s let other weapons shine for this one IMO. I read through most of the OP, not all of it. The last point really confused me about skill rank. I think a smaller skill gap is a good thing, but then again I fall under that
> > >
> > >
> > > > 2533274832140639;1:
> > > > - casualls
> > >
> > >
> > > category.
> > >
> > > Happy Haloing!
> >
> >
> > that is fine for going under the casual category, it’s just that maybe the casuals shouldn’t be about as good as the competitives in every friggin game that is next gen lol, there just isn’t a game for people like me to play without getting frustrated because everything is so easy for everyone.
>
>
> Why can’t casual gamers be better at a game than competitive gamers? It’s not that crazy of a concept. IMO, what makes someone good at Halo is map positioning, situational awareness, and teamwork. Not how good they are with a spawn weapon.

Like I said before, there needs to be 1 weapon that is the best overall, but it must be the hardest to use, obviously it isn’t the hardest to use in Halo 5 if everyone can easilly use it. Also, what I was basically saying about the skill percentage and crap, is that it’s too easy to reach close or to 100%, meaning that you can’t get better in terms of aiming or whatnot, it then just comes down to being cheap like in destiny.

> 2533274819051113;11:
> > 2533274832140639;8:
> > > 2533274973030620;6:
> > > Lol, I almost quit reading after the classic “The BR takes skill” line, but the “Halo 5’s bullet magnetism is almost as bad as 4’s” line is what finally did me in. If it wasn’t for the badge, I’d say you didn’t even play the beta.
> > >
> > > Condense your wall of text, come back with more logical arguments, and we’ll talk.
> >
> >
> > The BR was easy to use in the Beta, along with every other weapon, if that doesn’t convince you than there is no point in arguing because it’s evidently just preference.
>
>
> The BR wasn’t that easy to use in the beta. If you came across another Br user at a close distance to eachother it was harder to aim/strafe and get the kill than in any other Halo game. But you keep up with your false truths and long paragraphs.

I didn’t say JUST THE BR, I said all weapons are too easy to use, and in my opinion, the aiming and just basic “feel”, are very similiar to Halo 4

I only read the first sentence of your first point at the moment, but you’re wrong. Not every FPS has to have a “best gun ever.” Have you ever played Quake? The only gun that is truly “best ever” is the BFG because it’s designed that way as the only power weapon; every other gun is viable and skillful and balanced, able to kill based on circumstance and the player’s skill. The BR is a crutch and dominates every other gun barring power weapons.

And imagine that, a close range weapon will shred at close range. Come now OP, that’s what the AR is supposed to do. It won’t get you anywhere mind you, since the AR can only kill once per reload, and in the hands of a skilled player, a BR can still outshoot an AR at close range. You have thruster for a reason, use it wisely. But if I were a pro, I would likely say something like “if you get killed by an AR user, it’s your fault because you were out of position, with the wrong gun. Quit making excuses and do better next time.”

You DO know that they are nerfing the magnetism correct?

> 2533274832140639;1:
> - Lastly, to help clarify on how easy the game is, lets start with a simple percentage that I completely made up in my head.

Then the percentages, and your point are completely useless and arbitrary.

No weapon should be better than any other outside of its niche.

At close range: Shotgun=Energy Sword>Magnum>SMG>Assault Rifle

At Mid-Range: Battle Rifle = Light Rifle

At Long Range: Sniper Rifle>Spartan Laser>Light Rifle>DMR

And that’s not including other Power Weapons that don’t necessarily fall into a range category like the Hydra or Rocket Launcher.

The only time the Battle Rifle should beat someone at close range is if they’re skillful enough to survive at close range against someone who has an SMG. The SMG was a mini-SAW. You weren’t surviving unless you were careful.

The Battle Rifle is not a tier of its own. It should not surpass all the other non-power weapons. You NEED to use the rest of the sandbox. It’s a case of Rock, Paper, Scissors. If the Battle Rifle was outside of the other weapons, it would become Rock, Paper, Scissors, Volcano. Someone with a DMR should know better than to challenge someone with an Assault at long range, someone with a BR should know better than to challenge a DMR at long range or an AR at close range. And someone with an AR should know better than to challenge someone with a BR at mid range and a DMR at long range.

Let’s change gears for a moment here Cheaptastic, what change do you propose will make the BR feel better to you? And please don’t say “make it more like Halo X,” suggest some real changes. Bullet spread, fire rate, reload rate, etc. You’ve already spoken about magnetism, which we know 343i is working on fine-tuning, so what else would you like to change?

> 2533274915983628;12:
> Br never took skill, except h3. But everyone wanted team brs it wasnt fun. The ar takes more skill to use in any halo - h2 smg also - than the br ever did. (if you kill br person with ar, your skilled, h2 smg kill a br person, that takes skill, not 4 head shots ,repeat)

Would you, yourself or anyone who liked this post, please care to elaborate the bolded part and explain how the AR or the SMG are more “skill demanding” than the BR? I don’t care which weapon is the most skillful in absolute terms, but I wish to understand how such a claim can be made.

> 2533274803493024;17:
> Let’s change gears for a moment here, what change do you propose will make the BR feel better to you? And please don’t say “make it more like Halo X,” suggest some real changes. Bullet spread, fire rate, reload rate, etc. You’ve already spoken about magnetism, so what else would you like to change?

Lol, alright, I like where you are going, BTW I’m a huge nerd so… anyways the BR should be very accurate at close to mid range, but to reduce the amount of camping with it the spread from after medium range should not be as accurate, maybe 2 bullets out of 3 in the burst should, but the last should have a good chance to miss, OR, make the BR not have hitscan, so then form long range you have to lead your shots, also making it impossible to hit a guy if he is strafing from long range. Now, about how long the burst needs to be, in Halo 5 it is very fast… bad idea, 343 is tricking people into thinking it has a burst but is secretly making it more like a dmr. Because the burst is so fast you do not need to keep your reticle on an enemy as long, making it easier to use. I don’t know much about auto aim or aim assist, but halo 5 definetly has too much of one of those, or maybe it’s just bullet magnetism, I can’t really tell, but I would hope the majority of BR fans would at least agree with me about the burst.
AND LASTLY, the BR formula in Halo 3 (yeah I mentioned a Halo game) is Sin x (.15) x world units. Halo 5 is bigger, meaning the spread needs to be less, which is another problem I have with the game, the map size, but that is a totally different subject that I won’t talk about right now lol

> 2533274798011936;15:
> I only read the first sentence of your first point at the moment, but you’re wrong. Not every FPS has to have a “best gun ever.” Have you ever played Quake? The only gun that is truly “best ever” is the BFG because it’s designed that way as the only power weapon; every other gun is viable and skillful and balanced, able to kill based on circumstance and the player’s skill. The BR is a crutch and dominates every other gun barring power weapons.
>
> And imagine that, a close range weapon will shred at close range. Come now OP, that’s what the AR is supposed to do. It won’t get you anywhere mind you, since the AR can only kill once per reload, and in the hands of a skilled player, a BR can still outshoot an AR at close range. You have thruster for a reason, use it wisely. But if I were a pro, I would likely say something like “if you get killed by an AR user, it’s your fault because you were out of position, with the wrong gun. Quit making excuses and do better next time.”
>
> You DO know that they are nerfing the magnetism correct?
>
>
>
>
> > 2533274832140639;1:
> > - Lastly, to help clarify on how easy the game is, lets start with a simple percentage that I completely made up in my head.
>
>
> Then the percentages, and your point are completely useless and arbitrary.

First off, all that needs to be said, is that if I am going against a decent person in halo 3, and I have a BR and he has an AR, I can still kill him at close range becuse he’s bad and I’m good. Im not trying to brag or anything, other people can do it too, but in Halo 5, that is not the case most of the time. ALSO, AGAIN, I think that ALL the weapons in Halo 5 are too easy to use, at least in the Beta.