Why the AR will never be "good"

The AR and storm rifle will not be nearly as effective as BR/DMR/Carbine in almost all situations, for the same reason they sucked in every Halo to date:

Automatics exist (in Halo) as a go-to weapon for casuals who have limited skill in tracking a target. While the AR is a relatively weak weapon, it’s aim-assist and bullet magnetism levels are high enough to make it the more lethal choice for an unskilled player.

As much as a lot of people would like it to be as effective as the precision weapons, making it a worthy alternative to the BR/DMR/Carbine, it is needed to fill the role of a beginners choice weapon.

But from what I have seen… The Automatics absolutely dominate in close quarters.

I don’t think it is a matter of being as effective as precision weapons, just a matter of being effective at all. I don’t believe in having guns for the sake of having guns. Each weapon should have a viable role and I rather enjoyed using the AR/Storm/Repeater at PAX. If you catch a precision weapon user off guard at close range they are pretty much screwed. The automatic weapons in 4 are pretty deadly when compared to past Halo games, but they do have a definite range of effectiveness.

That being said, I’ll probably be using the BR or Light Rifle 80% of the time.

Oh look… a thread taking cheap shots at casuals.

lol, that Horse is dead my friend. Anyway… from the footage I’ve seen of the new AR, like Veluxier just said it’s dominating. I’m going to be using it a lot.

they may never have been good, but you can’t say that autos WILL not be good. It is 343i’s choice weather they want to make them a piece of crap or something that can actually kill in less than 1 clip and can actually be effective in a range of more than 5m. The videos so far have been promising in the amount of damage autos are doing, but so far burst firing looks obsolete and that’s comparing to halo reach which I though was pretty bad in that area.

all automatics are niche weapons covering the CQC niche in different ways, use them outside of there niche and they’re useless because they’re a very specific weapon.

precision weapons are the all round utlitiy weapons, designed to be used at most ranges while not being over powered in other weapon niche areas, this weapon is the go to weapon because of its usefullness while niche weapons are secoundairy to have control over a certain niche when needed.

sadly though, automatics have always been underpowered making this logic quite faulty which is a shame really.

The AR is never meant to be good, it is the staple weapon.

why can’t the AR change roles? also you do realise, if you add a skill gap to the weapon, bad players will still be bad with it. the only difference is that good players will be good with it.

even something as simple as bonus headshot damage coupled with recoil (when your aim lifts upwards like with the h2 smg) instead of spread/bloom (when your reticule enlarges) adds actual skill to the thing and rewards better aim/more skill.

Let’s not just beat around the bush. A fully automatic precision skill weapon. I personally think it could work, be balanced and supplement the primary weapon sandbox.

A few of them look fine…

Still not sure what one im going to use yet but that will come with time…

Whatever weapon that seems basic and has the shortest kill time and even shorter time for error is considered a staple these days. Even still, auto weapons are meant more for suppression than mere killing. If a person who can whittle down a person’s shields while his partner used precision weapons, then that would be considered a standard military tactic.

> A few of them look fine…
>
> Still not sure what one im going to use yet but that will come with time…

I’m just going to what I did in Reach.

Less than 500 automatic kills out of over 60,000 total.

OP, i respectfully disagree with your opinion.

Halo is science fiction. Fiction on Human weapons in halo is based on human weapons in the real world. Automatics exist today, they have their tactical usefulness in the world, like any weapon made to kill a man, they have pro’s and cons.

What you’re saying could be used in anything, I could argue that the sniper is useless because i like to fight in close quarters. Personally I think the sniper is a cowards weapon I prefer things to be me more up close and personal. I am, admittedly an AR fan.

My point is, the weapon exists because a counterpart exists today. And remember that multiplayer was an add on to the original halo, CE. The weapons were originally given rolls in campaign to be good against certain AI’s. Since CE the weapons have been tweaked and balanced because of this. 343i has gone -reset- on the franchise, while taking it forward, knowing how popular halo multiplayer is. Its there for a reason.

> OP, i respectfully disagree with your opinion.
>
> Halo is science fiction. Fiction on Human weapons in halo is based on human weapons in the real world. Automatics exist today, they have their tactical usefulness in the world, like any weapon made to kill a man, they have pro’s and cons.
>
> What you’re saying could be used in anything, I could argue that the sniper is useless because i like to fight in close quarters. Personally I think the sniper is a cowards weapon I prefer things to be me more up close and personal. I am, admittedly an AR fan.
>
> My point is, the weapon exists because a counterpart exists today. And remember that multiplayer was an add on to the original halo, CE. The weapons were originally given rolls in campaign to be good against certain AI’s. Since CE the weapons have been tweaked and balanced because of this. 343i has gone -reset- on the franchise, while taking it forward, knowing how popular halo multiplayer is. Its there for a reason.

No doubt there is a point you are making somewhere in this post, I just can’t find it.

I think you are making an assumption that 343 likes and will continue on with “tradition.”

Storm Rifle looks like it eats shields for dinner. That’s the only on I’m interested in.

and here I thought this was going to be about campaign

> > A few of them look fine…
> >
> > Still not sure what one im going to use yet but that will come with time…
>
> I’m just going to what I did in Reach.
>
> Less than 500 automatic kills out of over 60,000 total.

Yeah after playing a bit I will chose what to go with maybe depends on, the playlist – Im not sure so many options

> Let’s not just beat around the bush. A fully automatic precision skill weapon. I personally think it could work, be balanced and supplement the primary weapon sandbox.

kind of like the focus rifle?

> > Let’s not just beat around the bush. A fully automatic precision skill weapon. I personally think it could work, be balanced and supplement the primary weapon sandbox.
>
> kind of like the focus rifle?

are we forgetting reachs needle rifle? halo CE magnum?..