Why team Osiris? H5 missed opportunity...

Want to start by saying I am completely fine with team Osiris and I like all the units members, including Locke, but upon thinking today I feel a good opportunity was missed for Halo 5. I was thinking about Kilo 5 today and (I should note I still have not finished the 3rd book in the trilogy so I could be very well wrong for thinking this) couldn’t help but think where 343 could have taken this story had they used Kilo 5 instead of Osiris.

There is, I believe, a 5 year window between Kilo 5 trilogy and Halo 5 so plenty of time to integrate the ODST members of K5 into the S-IV program. Then, you can bring Black box into the main lore as Naomi’s AI. It would also be a great way to integrate Osman into the main lore (by main lore I am speaking of game campaign). Plus, Kilo 5 has two males and two females (so team balance is maintained). They would be much more experienced and interesting as a team too since they have established lore and people are more familiar with them. Speaking of Naomi…

The piece she could bring to the puzzle I think would be bigger than anything Locke can (even if a narrative is played where it turns out chief saved him on Jericho VII). She is John’s surrogate sister as well as the rest of Blue team. we know Naomi cares about John (not in a lover kind of way) so the emotional strain of having to hunt John and Blue team down could cause for some compelling story telling. Add the fact that she knows the full truth of the S-II program which can get sprinkled in. Then her being a S-II would throw the S-IV/Locke haters through a tizzy. 343 has been trying to sell Locke but a lot of people aren’t buying. Some seem to hate Locke because he has no interesting back story and because he is an S-IV. but what happens to those people if he is replaced by an established character with a complicated story and who is also a S-II like John? makes things a lot more complicated. There are a few other reasons I would have liked to have seen Kilo 5 as a preference but I don’t want to make this too long.

What do you all think?

The Kilo-V hate is far greater and more logically sound than the Locke hate.

Then there’s also the fact Osman has no place in active duty while she’s in charge of ONI…

I’m not saying Osman would be flying around space with them lol. I just meant interacting with them like Paragnosky (sp?) did. i also, well through two book at least, never felt any hate towards Kilo 5 and actually liked the team (was neutral on Osman and continue to be so). ONI as a whole on the other hand…

Interesting concept…

Kilo-5 was just a stepping stone for Jul 'Mdama, they were never fit to be main characters in a game.

> 2533274829152751;5:
> Kilo-5 was just a stepping stone for Jul 'Mdama, they were never fit to be main characters in a game.

I agree it was largely for Jul, but doesn’t mean that they had to just leave K5 in the dust. The fact that Naomi captures Jul in Thursday War adds yet another element too, since Osiris is supposed to confront Jul on the opening mission. Jul himself seems like he will be getting very little action in main game lore.

Meh, I’m not sure.

> 2533274964189700;2:
> The Kilo-V hate is far greater and more logically sound than the Locke hate.
>
> Then there’s also the fact Osman has no place in active duty while she’s in charge of ONI…

Not really. Kilo 5 hate mostly stems from Halsey fanboyism than from any particularly logical reason to hate them.

And what exactly is the problem with Osman as commissioned naval admiral being the head of a naval intelligence department?

I don’t know, I think bringing back fan favorites like Buck was a good call. For people who haven’t been keeping up with the news, things like this are gonna be a huge deal. Although you’re somewhat right, it would have been extremely interesting if atleast 1 member of Osiris was a Spartan II. But we’ll see.

> 2535468947915585;9:
> I don’t know, I think bringing back fan favorites like Buck was a good call. For people who haven’t been keeping up with the news, things like this are gonna be a huge deal. Although you’re somewhat right, it would have been extremely interesting if atleast 1 member of Osiris was a Spartan II. But we’ll see.

Pretty much this. It is making a tough pill easier to swallow.

> 2533274913936758;8:
> > 2533274964189700;2:
> > The Kilo-V hate is far greater and more logically sound than the Locke hate.
> >
> > Then there’s also the fact Osman has no place in active duty while she’s in charge of ONI…
>
>
> Not really. Kilo 5 hate mostly stems from Halsey fanboyism than from any particularly logical reason to hate them.
>
> And what exactly is the problem with Osman as commissioned naval admiral being the head of a naval intelligence department?

Kilo-V has a pretty open ignorance of lore and generally dis-favorably portrays many other established characters as well. Halsey just got the shortest end of the stick as the books bent lore just to make her look worse, as well as made established chars suddenly harbor intense hatred for her. There’s the ‘view point’ argument, but then there’s Mendez hating on her despite the fact he just finished training 900 child suicide super soldiers himself. The entire cast seems to ignore their own failings because halsey is devil -Yoink!-, and it comes up in completely unnecessary and irrelevant ways. The newer books have retconned most of Kilo-V’s changes out of existence shows even 343 saw the problems with the books.

Locke hate on the other hand is largely based on a few lines from trailers taken out of context and without knowing the full story. It relies largely on gut feelings and people misassociating him with ONI.

And no, I’m not a halsey fanboy. 343 could have had locke’s first mission be to kill her instead, and as long as it didn’t throw in a bunch of pointless -Yoink!- references along the way I’d be fine with it.

And I meant osman isn’t squad member material due to her position. I am sorry for communicating this incorrectly.

> 2533274913936758;8:
> > 2533274964189700;2:
> > The Kilo-V hate is far greater and more logically sound than the Locke hate.
> >
> > Then there’s also the fact Osman has no place in active duty while she’s in charge of ONI…
>
>
> Not really. Kilo 5 hate mostly stems from Halsey fanboyism than from any particularly logical reason to hate them.
>
> And what exactly is the problem with Osman as commissioned naval admiral being the head of a naval intelligence department?

he means that as CICONI she would not be in the field.

> 2533274808191918;1:
> They would be much more experienced…
>
> Speaking of Naomi…

Pretty sure Buck and Locke have more combat experience then the ODSTs in Kilo-5

Naomi is way to close to the situation.

> 2533274844984484;12:
> Naomi is way to close to the situation.

Concidering blue team literally volunteered to go AWOL with chief, I definitely agree.

Even amongst a cast that bashes halsey like a bitter ex, Naoimi was generally still a regular S-II. Her perspective did get shaken up by some revelation about Halsey lieing to her (which is odd, given how truth had specifically been a priority when dealing with the kids…), but she just seemed hurt and not someone who’d be out t take down chief.

> 2533274844984484;12:
> > 2533274913936758;8:
> > > 2533274964189700;2:
> > > The Kilo-V hate is far greater and more logically sound than the Locke hate.
> > >
> > > Then there’s also the fact Osman has no place in active duty while she’s in charge of ONI…
> >
> >
> > Not really. Kilo 5 hate mostly stems from Halsey fanboyism than from any particularly logical reason to hate them.
> >
> > And what exactly is the problem with Osman as commissioned naval admiral being the head of a naval intelligence department?
>
>
> he means that as CICONI she would not be in the field.
>
>
>
>
> > 2533274808191918;1:
> > They would be much more experienced…
> >
> > Speaking of Naomi…
>
>
> Pretty sure Buck and Locke have more combat experience then the ODSTs in Kilo-5
>
> Naomi is way to close to the situation.

“They would be much more experienced and interesting as a team

Notice the last part of that sentence that you quoted of mine lol. I was referring to K5 having more experience working together as a unit than Osiris does since they have recently been thrown together and are still learning each other. Some of the posters above have gotten off on the Kilo 5 trilogy going against the lore such as Mendez attitude toward Halsey. I’m not even talking about the stuff and for the sake of things that stuff should be ignored because that was pretty bad. I am talking strictly about Naomi, Vaz, Mal, and Deveraux along with BB. That is all.

You do make a good point on Naomi being too close to the situation, but in a situation like this where you are trying to get a valuable asset back maybe being too close may be good and could be used to an advantage. Though, I did not even consider that point on her being too close and I do have to kind of lean in that direction that it while interesting, in a real world military situation she would not be a candidate to seek out the Chief for those reasons (her being too close to him). Oh well, sounded good at first lol

Know what would be really, really interesting? Gray team + Naomi :stuck_out_tongue: (i kid, but seriously haha)