Why such a big file

I know this topic has scene plenty discussion but I really don’t think it’s been settled. Halo 5 is way too large of a file size. It currently sits just under 92 GB. That’s just ridiculous. If a game like BF1 is able to provide better textures, rendering, and sound, while managing a 46 GB file size, Halo 5 should be able too as well.

I can’t give you a legitimate answer as I didn’t create the game. Maybe someone with actual developing experience could give you some ideas, but until then it’s all just speculation. If I were to guess, I’d say that Halo 5’s engine is generally older and suffers from a variety of issues (physics comes to mind). It also wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of the data was just clutter (i.e. things not actually used in the game).

Well, the simple answer is we don’t know. obviously the game has something going on under the hood, but we don’t know what it is.

Some people say it’s because 343 doesn’t compress their files. Of course, we don’t have any official statements confirming anything, so it’s all just speculation.

Because it’s full of awesomeness :wink:

> 2533274936879727;1:
> I know this topic has scene plenty discussion but I really don’t think it’s been settled. Halo 5 is way too large of a file size. It currently sits just under 92 GB. That’s just ridiculous. If a game like BF1 is able to provide better textures, rendering, and sound, while managing a 46 GB file size, Halo 5 should be able too as well.

Star Wars: Battlefront is 30GB with all updates installed. Hell, the MCC with 20GB of updates and ODST added on sits at 87GB!!! A collection of five campaigns (six if you count Spartan Ops) and over 100 multiplayer maps is smaller than Halo 5!!!

BF1 does not have FORGE…which is, essentially, an entirely ADDITIONAL program added on top of the game itself.

> 2533274936879727;1:
> I know this topic has scene plenty discussion but I really don’t think it’s been settled. Halo 5 is way too large of a file size. It currently sits just under 92 GB. That’s just ridiculous. If a game like BF1 is able to provide better textures, rendering, and sound, while managing a 46 GB file size, Halo 5 should be able too as well.

I was actually thinking about making a third one of these threads but you beat me to it, I have already made two:
When it was about 70GB.
When it was about 90GB.
The first one is more rant then actually thinking about why its like this, also my comparison to Reach is very wrong. But as for now at like 97, nearly 100GB, I really do not know what is causing it, I really wish 343 would say something as its pretty strange when we have games with better graphics (not offending Halo 5 graphics, they are good) and more stuff. Forge could be part of it, but from what I hear from my friend about DOOMs snapmap, I give that second thought. And MCC has Halo 2A forge, Halo 3 forge and Halo 4 forge… plus a tone more maps and modes.

I personally think its forge or the large amount of armor models and textures… or Halo 5 just has a really big AR sound file.

Please don’t revive old topics, thanks.