Why stop at a second trilogy?

I’ve been hearing a lot lately the idea of John-117 dying at the end of the Second Halo Trilogy i.e. Halo 6. I must ask why? Why must 343i even end the series there? Imagine 11 or 12 years down the road the Second Halo trilogy has come to a close, why should it end? The Halo Universe is massive with a near limitless amount of possibilities. I think the idea of a Halo 7, 8, and 9 released in 2020, 2023 and 2026 or about that general time to not be a bad idea. As long as the games remain fun, each new game is a new experience and tell a wonderful story that also does not feel dragged on. Instead of something like the Call of Duty games today where each new game is at its heart a reskinned version of the previous ones each new Halo would be NEW and fun while still keeping the core Halo feel.

Think about it this way. Halo has a wonderful Universe full of stories to tell and places and events to see. If Halo games just stopped, they were just ended the Universe would die with it. Soon after there would be no more Halo novels, the Halo universe will gather dust and any questions left forever unanswered, any story left unfinished would be left untold. There would never be anything new in the Haloverse again. The active communities we have now would dwindle and fade.

No one wants this to happen. So why let it die?

The Universe can only be in peril so many times in one lifetime. If they continue the story again and again and again with “Save the Universe” it will get stale. At the moment a second Trilogy makes sense because it still connects to the old one. We’re getting to see the bigger picture and all that. But to continue with a third or fourth “epic” trilogy would be too much. More games like Wars, ODST and Reach would be neat though. Fill in the gaps or do back story. That would still work for me.

However I love Halo for the Universe. If they never made another game again I would still be happy as long as they continue expanding the Universe with Novels and what not.

Heros don’t live to be old & change is good.

John dying would not signify the end of the series, but the end of his story. With his final fate absolute 343i can explore new possibilities, and give us fresh new experiences and perspectives. You never want to run a character dry. The second trilogy, as mentioned above, makes sense; but after that 'Chief needs to have his rest.

> John dying would not signify the end of the series, but the end of his story. With his final fate absolute 343i can explore new possibilities, and give us fresh new experiences and perspectives. You never want to run a character dry. The second trilogy, as mentioned above, makes sense; but after that 'Chief needs to have his rest.

I agree with this completly, I would love for Halo to continue after the second triolgy, but not with chiefs story. Mabye like a new project that oni has been working on.

yes i agree with the above post, it would be cool to see if there were another spartan program that oni kept secret sort of like grey team but a whole new breed. What if they were like predator and had heat vision and several armor abilitys at the same time! But yes i love masterchief but i don’t want to play 20 years of masterchief, he has to go out like johnson i believe i shed a couple tears when he died. Thats how important it is to let people go because if you become to attached it will turn into metroid prime. But i would like to have another odst just without all the flashbacks and being stuck in a sandbox game.

Look at Star Wars. Fifty odd years after the films the Galaxy’s still getting blown up a dozen times a year.

Halo is like Star Wars. It has a huge timeline with millions of possible stories. If they wanted they could make a game for each individual Spartan. If it would up to me Halo would have some “main” games, not all necessarily linked by their place in the story but their gameplay style, these games would all be FPSs. Then you’d have “side games” that have different gameplay styles and fit into different genres. We’ve seen this with Halo Wars but it could be taken further. If any of these side games are successful they could breed new series within the Halo Universe.

I’d also like to see a Halo game akin to Star Wars Battlefront, both in terms of gameplay and their handling of the story. They have all the classes to do such a game and they don’t have to be canon.

> yes i agree with the above post, it would be cool to see if there were another spartan program that oni kept secret sort of like grey team but a whole new breed. What if they were like predator and had heat vision and several armor abilitys at the same time! But yes i love masterchief but i don’t want to play 20 years of masterchief, he has to go out like johnson i believe i shed a couple tears when he died. Thats how important it is to let people go because if you become to attached it will turn into metroid prime. But i would like to have another odst just without all the flashbacks and being stuck in a sandbox game.

can i ask you what you don’t like about metroid prime? I’m not criticizing you, I just don’t understand how it fits into what you’re saying as there have only been 4 metroid prime games, and if you mean metroid in general you have to understand that there have actually only been 11 games (one of which was a remake) in it’s 25 year history, some of which had huge gaps between them.

I think they should end Master Chief’s and Cortana’s story at 7. Considering Bungie made that number a reoccurring theme in the universe, I think it would be appropriate.

But I really do hope 343 expands the franchise into bold new genres, such as a Dead Space-esque horror survival game, a squad-based Marine/ ODST game, and even Halo Wars 2. The Haloverse is massive and vastly untouched in comparison to John’s story. There’s still 30 years of the Human-Covenant War to dip into.

I didn’t want H4 to be a start of an new triology, but oh well…

By the time a third trilogy has come out, gamers might have changed their taste in gaming and 1st person shooters might not be popular like they are now.

A trilogy of trilogies… That would be interesting.

oh god you people want to run the series to the ground

I wouldn’t believe that Master Chief’s story arch would continue, but why not end on 7? One Final, FINAL Fight for the Chief? It makes sense with that being the number of nearly anything in the lore to the universe right? And it could be massive! One Final Game- something that could take years to make and for everyone to look forward to, as long as it was done right of course.

Halo’s after that though, most likely expanding to new genres: MMO, RPG, another Halo Wars. Why Not?
And we could still have some first person shooters on the side-why not head back to Harvest? A Marine based campaign.
Possibly a Naval Battle story in there, something like EvE…
everything’s possible for this game, Halo has yet to fail anyone.

sorry to multi post but why not anything based on the civil war prior to First Contact? Maybe the game itself would include that discovery and make it somewhat of a horrifying yet intriguing moment, the interaction that spawned all games? sounds story driven and fun enough for me

Did 343i ever say they wouldn’t be making anymore games after Halo 6? :confused: I don’t ever remember hearing anything like that. And I’m pretty sure Microsoft won’t ever let Halo die. They might let Master Chief’s saga come to an end, but I highly doubt the series ever really will. I personally see Halo becoming something like the Legend of Zelda, Mario, or Metroid series. Even if they bring the series to a definite close with Halo 4’s trilogy, there is still loads of stuff in the past not fully expounded on, there will probably (and I hope so at least) many spinoff games similar to ODST and Halo Wars.

And I really don’t get why people think Master Chief has to die at the end of the new trilogy >_> Doing that would just be stupid if you ask me, killing off the hero is an overused cliche, Halo has always been about breaking out of the mold of cliches.

Because at a certain point it becomes milking. A second trilogy is already under heavy skepticism by all to see if it can live up to the original trilogy Bungie made.

At some point, you just have to let it go.

I can get behind “side-story games” like Halo Wars 2 and ODST 2. But we all have to remember that things, good or bad, must come to an end, or it just becomes silly. Like Star Wars.

I don’t think the franchise will die if the games stop. When I see videos of Halo fans at PAX and ComicCon, and see the amazing work Halo fans do posted all over the internet, I’m inclined to think they won’t stop when the games do! It’s a way of life for many! :slight_smile:

But slightly more on topic. I love the universe of Halo too. But it’s way too early to plan for a third trilogy. Microsoft might not even be making consoles in 2020 and the rights for Halo may have been sold to pay the bills. Or maybe they’ll be top dogs in the console market (or whatever games market there will be). Either way, it’s way too early to even think about. Not just that, but I don’t think I’ll know how I feel about this idea until at least after I’ve played Halo 5. And that’s a long time away. I might be sick of Halo by the end of the second trilogy. Who knows.

> Did 343i ever say they wouldn’t be making anymore games after Halo 6? :confused: I don’t ever remember hearing anything like that.

Did I ever say that I might be married in 6 years? Seriously, 6 years is so far away, what would even be the point of a developer saying whether or not they will be making more games of x? They probably don’t even know if they’ll be working at the same studio in 6 years.