Why Sprint?

I know there are many hate threads on Sprint. And apparently only 11% don’t want it in Halo 5 (I find that hard to believe).

anyway. Why do they want it so bad? Why do they keep finding ways to keep it in Halo? That’s what I don’t understand.

They have to change so much to add it in. Why not try it without it?

edit: I would like to add that I’ve played CoD (a lot actually. IV, all the way up to BO2), and I still don’t want sprint added to Halo.

Instant kill times in CoD allow it. It’s always who sees who first. Not, who can outshoot the other 1v1, or team shooting an opponent.

I like sprint in other games. I don’t want it in Halo. It takes too many shots to drop your opponent. I think it messes with gameplay way too much.

Halo 2:A may not be the perfect game, but it’s a lot better than H4.

Because most people not in the non halo community like sprint.

I don’t hate sprint, as long as hip fire stays accurate.

Because CoD has it, CoD is the most likely entry to shooter for little kids today and since most Devs think people are stupid nowadays they want to share as many mechanics as possible with other FPS (taht does not only apply to 343 but the whole gaming industy)

After playing so many FPS with sprint, people start to expect it and it becomes industry-standard. Try playing a game which features sprint and then play Halo 3. It will drive you insane. And I’m speaking from experience.

> 2533274832934804;4:
> After playing so many FPS with sprint, people start to expect it and it becomes industry-standard. Try playing a game which features sprint and then play Halo 3. It will drive you insane. And I’m speaking from experience.

Will it?
Actually whenever I switch back to H3 (dont get me started on HCE ) I realize how amazing that gameplay was…
Sprint os OK for stuff like BF but should have no place in Halo…but I think this has been discussed over and over

> 2533274832934804;4:
> After playing so many FPS with sprint, people start to expect it and it becomes industry-standard. Try playing a game which features sprint and then play Halo 3. It will drive you insane. And I’m speaking from experience.

I disagree you with you completely. Word for word.

Because for a game to be fun it should not feel like shooting fish in a barrel.

also chief seemed to do a decent sprint on delta halo after killing the prophet to avoid that death ray.
just sayin’

> Sprint makes maps massive. All useful points are too far away for a player to use base speed (moving and shooting) in a decent amount of time, not to mention the space between players is now, on average, increased. Try playing Prisoner or Beaver Creek with Sprint. Go ahead. Reach has an anniversary collection. Spoiler: you -Yoinking- can’t.
>
> Lines of sight are muddled because movement negates the use of weaponry. If I can’t move and shoot (and because maps are huge, I can’t,) then I am under insane pressure to get to cover because I can’t reciprocate anyone shooting at me. Therefore, lines of sight must be closed down to allow players to Sprint to their heart’s content, rather than have combat be initiated as soon as you step onto the map. Try playing Hang Em’ High with Sprint. You -Yoinking- can’t.

> “Sprint” does not fit the definition of movement, however. Halo’s Sprint is movement without use of weaponry in a single direction. In order to strafe, move backwards, or shoot my dang gun, I must be reduced to a crawl on a massive map. In order to do anything important, I must move slowly on a larger map. This is different than moving slowly on a smaller map, or faster on a larger map. Therein lies one of my greatest qualms with this mechanic. What is it? Is it an addendum that now players must stare directly forward and cripple themselves to travel from place to place? Is it a designated “tuck your tail between your legs, spin around and run the -Yoink- away” button? Is it an attempt to fit a mechanic into Halo to pretend it’s still relevant, even though, as population charts would indicate, it only stopped being so around 2010?

> The open center of a 4 v 4 map without Sprint is a place of death and judgment. It’s where -Yoink- gets real and all the big firefights happen.
>
> With Sprint? Well, the centers of Countdown, the Cage, Asylum, Reflection, Powerhouse, and Zealot become ghost towns. At least in 4, they had the bright idea to stick giant pieces of geometry in the middle of all the maps. After all, if the center of Guardian is too big, and the lines of sight too wide, than fighting there means that you must be reduced to a snails pace, and moving there means that you can’t shoot back at whoever is shooting at you.

These are just my reasons. There are many others with many other reasons.

EDIT: -Yoink- I misread the entire OP and every comment that followed. I’m an idiot…It’s kinda sad because I really like what I just posted. :frowning:

> Reasons to keep Sprint?
> - I can Sprint. Why can’t a super Soldier?(I’d like to see you Sprint across a battlefield.)
> - I like to Sprint.(I don’t. We’ve proven nothing.)
> - Two speeds are suddenly initiated, the increased speed required to move about the map, and the speed that sets a player into combat. By using Sprint the way it is, teammates may reach combat areas faster.(This is an interesting argument, and the only one that actually attempts to meet anti-sprinters on their level. Props to the one guy who thought of it. However, such a distinction between travel and combat has never been needed before in classic Halo. If not for massive -Yoinking- maps, such a concept would be wholly unnecessary.)

> 2533274832934804;4:
> After playing so many FPS with sprint, people start to expect it and it becomes industry-standard. Try playing a game which features sprint and then play Halo 3. It will drive you insane. And I’m speaking from experience.

Are you okey with Borderlands the Presequel or evolve? Do these games fit your industry-standard?

> 2533274809432820;9:
> > 2533274832934804;4:
> > After playing so many FPS with sprint, people start to expect it and it becomes industry-standard. Try playing a game which features sprint and then play Halo 3. It will drive you insane. And I’m speaking from experience.
>
>
> Are you okey with Borderlands the Presequel or evolve? Do these games fit your industry-standard?

They have sprint.

> 2533274857398125;10:
> > 2533274809432820;9:
> > > 2533274832934804;4:
> > > After playing so many FPS with sprint, people start to expect it and it becomes industry-standard. Try playing a game which features sprint and then play Halo 3. It will drive you insane. And I’m speaking from experience.
> >
> >
> > Are you okey with Borderlands the Presequel or evolve? Do these games fit your industry-standard?
>
>
> They have sprint.

Then Halo 5 Guardians should adapt their sprint, because you are able to shoot instantly even though you sprint in those games.

"The difference between time you aren’t able to shoot when it comes to sprinting (as it is in Halo reach to Halo 5) and reloading is huge.You sprint minutes each game, but you reload for less than 7 seconds every game.Any feature that forces you to go into an animation for more than 15 seconds every game, is terrible for Halo. Of halo the features 343 or bungie added, sprint (as it is in Halo Reach to Halo 5) is the only feature that surpasses those seconds by minutes, and it is the only feature, of all the features in Halo, that has an impact on all the other mechanics in the game.____Even all the other features combined still doesn’t come close to the amount of seconds sprint hinders you to shoot, alone. Out of all the horrible things that has been added to Halo, the Halo 5 sprint is the worst, and the most game-changing. Having the Halo 5 sprint in Halo 5 work like Evolves/The Borderlands the pre sequel sprint would be so much better for Halo, making it feel much more like a Halo game again."

I am fine with sprint, however after playing Halo 3 a lot, i would much rather they take it out in Halo 6 and beyond. It brings more negative symptoms than positive symptoms. look at truth; its a great map, but its been elongated to almost twice the size to correctly utilise sprint. But despite this, i am completely ok with sprint being in Halo 5.

> 2533274928710760;12:
> I am fine with sprint, however after playing Halo 3 a lot, i would much rather they take it out in Halo 6 and beyond. It brings more negative symptoms than positive symptoms. look at truth; its a great map, but its been elongated to almost twice the size to correctly utilise sprint. But despite this, i am completely ok with sprint being in Halo 5.

Worth saying a surprising number of people hate both Midship and Heretic, I’m one of those people. That said I love Truth.

> 2533274878335704;13:
> > 2533274928710760;12:
> > I am fine with sprint, however after playing Halo 3 a lot, i would much rather they take it out in Halo 6 and beyond. It brings more negative symptoms than positive symptoms. look at truth; its a great map, but its been elongated to almost twice the size to correctly utilise sprint. But despite this, i am completely ok with sprint being in Halo 5.
>
>
> Worth saying a surprising number of people hate both Midship and Heretic, I’m one of those people. That said I love Truth.

Because it plays nothing like Midship or Heretic. Midship and Heretic plays almost the same.

> 2533274878335704;13:
> > 2533274928710760;12:
> > I am fine with sprint, however after playing Halo 3 a lot, i would much rather they take it out in Halo 6 and beyond. It brings more negative symptoms than positive symptoms. look at truth; its a great map, but its been elongated to almost twice the size to correctly utilise sprint. But despite this, i am completely ok with sprint being in Halo 5.
>
>
> Worth saying a surprising number of people hate both Midship and Heretic, I’m one of those people. That said I love Truth.

Heresy!

See what I did there?

i like sprint

> 2533274878335704;13:
> > 2533274928710760;12:
> > I am fine with sprint, however after playing Halo 3 a lot, i would much rather they take it out in Halo 6 and beyond. It brings more negative symptoms than positive symptoms. look at truth; its a great map, but its been elongated to almost twice the size to correctly utilise sprint. But despite this, i am completely ok with sprint being in Halo 5.
>
>
> Worth saying a surprising number of people hate both Midship and Heretic, I’m one of those people. That said I love Truth.

And where does this surprising number come from, may I ask?

> 2533274878335704;13:
> > 2533274928710760;12:
> > I am fine with sprint, however after playing Halo 3 a lot, i would much rather they take it out in Halo 6 and beyond. It brings more negative symptoms than positive symptoms. look at truth; its a great map, but its been elongated to almost twice the size to correctly utilise sprint. But despite this, i am completely ok with sprint being in Halo 5.
>
>
> Worth saying a surprising number of people hate both Midship and Heretic, I’m one of those people. That said I love Truth.

Get out.

JK, but seriously I don’t get you.

Why is 343 keeping sprint in Halo 5 despite all the backlash from the competitive Halo community? Well that’s a simple question to answer, it’s because of immersion! Just kidding it’s because 343 wants everybody to play a sprint simulator because they think that the majority of their fan base are handicap people that have been in wheelchairs their whole lives. Okay being serious now the real reason why 343 is keeping sprint in Halo 5 is to please the console peasants that believe the illusion that sprint speeds up the game play in Halo when the truth of the reality of it doesn’t. Sprint is being used as a gimmick to appeal to a wider casual audience, it’s a artificial way to speed up game play and it gives the illusion to the player that they are moving faster so therefore the game play must be faster also when it’s not even close to the truth at all. 343 doesn’t really care about how fundamentally detrimental sprint is to Halo. All 343 really cares about is what publishers tell them to put into the game, their marketing research, and what their market focus groups say(cough cough their surveys that you only can get by requesting one to be sent to your email and are limited to certain countries.) 343 is putting sprint into Halo because they are a flagship triple A developer for Microsoft that must appeal to a wide range of audiences so they can meet their sales quota and sell a lot of units of the xbox one. The problem is 343 isn’t really thinking about the longevity and player retention of Halo 5 because they aren’t making the game with competitively viable out of the box settings. 343 gave us the ability to toggle off sprint in custom games but the problem with this though is that it will alienate and divide the player fan base because there are going to be different versions of the game. The competitive settings for Halo 5 need to be as close as possible to the out of box settings so new players don’t get alienated from the competitive side of Halo which has happened with every Halo after Halo CE. The competitive Halo community won’t compromise on having sprint in the HCS tournament settings because it’s not competitively viable for the game and the no sprint settings is the only competitively viable settings for the game so something needs to drastically change. If 343 wants to stay relevant in E-Sports then something big needs to change. Either 343 needs to rethink their backwards mentality towards the competitive side of Halo and E-Sports in general by making the game have no sprint with the out of box settings and make it where you can toggle sprint on in custom games instead so the game can be competitively viable with the out of box settings. Or 343 should make a free to play Halo game that fully embraces the competitive and arena shooter side of Halo with microtransactions only being cosmetic and not game changing and the money from all the microtransactions would go straight towards the prize pool of HCS tournaments. 343 could name it Halo arena and have it free to play for the xbox one and windows 10 with cross-platform play and they could also keep Halo 5. This would allow 343 to continue their changes to the Halo saga without having to worry about alienating the core competitive Halo community and would allow them to expand their player base. New players and old players both would have a home and wouldn’t have to worry about other peoples preferences getting in the way of their enjoyment of how they want to play the game. The $60 triple A development cycle doesn’t really work for E-sports anyways, just look at the most popular E-sports games(CS:GO $15 which is pretty much free to play compared to $60 Triple A games), LOL and DOTA are both free games. Having a free to play Halo game that’s strictly for E-sports would allow 343 to constantly update the game to keep it fresh and won’t have to worry about alienating casual or new players. Alright time to get back to the topic at hand. Why is sprint bad for competitive play in Halo? It’s bad for competitive play in Halo because it takes away the ability to move at the fastest speed of the game and shoot at the same time, it turns it from a RUN AND GUN game into a RUN OR GUN game. It stretches the maps out because they have to be scaled to accommodate for sprint so as a result of this it causes the game to became more slow than it already is. It takes away individual empowerment from players and forces them to have to rely on team-shooting to get a optimal TTK thus making the meta more one dimensional. Anybody that has ever played arena shooters like Quake and Unreal Tournament can tell you that there are natural ways to speed up Halo’s game play that are better than trying to shoehorn in a modern military shooter esk mechanic like sprint into Halo. All 343 has to do to speed up game play without having to add sprint into Halo is increase the base player movement speed to sprint speed, increase strafe acceleration(which they are already doing), make the static spawns for power-ups and power weapons more frequent to promote map movement, give us a useful fast TTK utility weapon that is easy to learn but hard to master like the Halo CE pistol, and give us the ability to shoot at all times with no delay while using all of the other spartan abilities so the game play becomes more fluid. This concludes my rant.

“Sprint prevents small arena maps”

Empire and Regret would like to have a word with you.