Why Sprint Will Never, Ever Work

First off, I am going to start by saying, I am all for the idea of new spartan abilities. I think having thruster as default is one of the best things that could happen to halo, is it is a mechanic that has a skill gap. However, not all of the spartan abilities are like that.

That being said, sprint should not be in halo. Ever.

This is why.

No Skill Gap.
How can someone really use sprint more “skillfully” than another person? You can only move in one direction, you can’t shoot, and everyone moves the same speed. Sure there is the argument that your shields won’t recharge while sprinting, but think about what this actually does. Instead of the player running away dying like they should have without sprint, all this does is just delays the death to another place and time. If literally nothing changes to either spartan in the engagement, beside location and time, why the f*** do we have sprint?

The Game is Played WITHOUT Sprint.
Think about it.

What do you do when you aren’t sprinting? You play the game.

This is the reason why maps break so f***ing badly with sprint. The maps are designed for base level movement, because that is how spartans really interact with each other. When you add in sprint, it breaks that dynamic of the map.
That being said, the only way sprint would work, is if you can still shoot while sprinting. And then, if that is the case, why not just bump the movement speed way up and say that your spartan is sprinting all the time (which I thought was originally the case anyway).

Rewards Poor Performance.
From playing Reach or H4, how many of you at any point have been like “I should have killed that guy, but he got away because of sprint”? 100% of you. Guaranteed. Why then are we giving people who make bad plays, the ability to get out of them? This doesn’t teach that player anything, and because of that, effectively makes the gameplay significantly more shallow. There is no depth to getting away, all you have to do is press a button and run behind a wall. Without sprint, not making bad decisions and getting away is an artform. That’s why some of the professional players like pistola are considered wizards or gods, because they come up with the craftiest ways to turn the tides in battle. With sprint you give that power to everyone with a button, something that doesn’t make any sense.

343, H5 is your last chance. I really want Halo to continue, but if you f*** this up with sprint and other unnecessary abilities, Halo Will Die.

OP I guarantee halo will never die, people saw EXACTLY what halo 4 was like and it still sold like crazy.

Don’t like it then don’t buy it

Skill gap: a skilled player will always know when to sprint and sacrifice aim, and to run steadily and aim with more precision. A skilled player will know how to balance the helath regen handicap, and noob won’t. Just watch Pistola playing Halo 5 and his tactical use of sprint.

Maps are designed with sprint in mind, this is something they are very metric about and you can see that on the video doc. No issues there, more mobility means more interaction with maps in any direction.
I never lost a kill because someone started sprinting (since i can sprint after him too). I have lost a ton of kills because Spartans are bullet sponges and someone else steals the last bullet. Maybe 343 should do something about that…
Any more made up theories?

I feel people don’t understand why sprint is different in halo. In a game like cod or battlefield sprint helps speed up game play and favors the stronger player because the weak players use it at unnecessary times, and because kill times are so low in those games you can kill quickly right then and there. In halo however when a player sprints they can use it to escape because it takes time to kill a player, therefore letting weaker players avoid firefights or live a situation they should have died in.(slows down gameplay and favors weak players)
solution?Instead of having players not regen shields, have them stop sprinting completely so they cant escape.

I can’t stand sprint, and here’s why: Sprinting makes the maps too big, defeats map placement, and allows players who make mistakes to not be punished for it. Let me explain my gripes. A) Sprinting makes the maps too big: Did anyone notice the size of the new Midship that they were playing on? It was just like Halo 4. Did anyone notice how big Halo 4’s The Pit was? Same thing. Sprinting makes all maps bigger because you can get around faster. If you played classic Guardian or Lockout with sprint, you could get from one side to the other in no time. By having these big maps, all BR fights are now long range. What made Halo 3 so great was you had long, medium, and close range BR fights because the maps were laid out in a way that allowed for these types of fights. With the huge maps (see Haven, this new Midship, or any other popular Halo 4 map), Halo’s fighting style has become one-dimensional. B) Springing defeats map placement: Setting up was such an important part of Halo 2/3. Capture the flag and most other objective based gametypes (even slayer for that matter) revolved around where you were and where your teammates were. With sprint, however, where you are in relation to your team can be completely negated because the other team can immediately be behind you. This becomes particularly important in capture the flag because if you pull the flag, the enemy team can be on top of you before you can blink. That’s why you got that Pistol in Halo 4 when you picked up the flag, because 343i knew that you had to have some way to defend yourself against the entire enemy team. Sprint really ruins objective gametypes because all you have to do is all out rush the person with the flag/oddball/hill control. C) Lastly, sprint allows players who make mistakes to not be punished for it: This goes without saying I think. If you get caught out or are in a bad spot, simply sprint away to safety. I like how your shields no longer recharge when you’re sprinting, but I think that is a bandaid for the larger problems. You can still survive if you don’t recharge shields, even though, yes, it will be harder.

I have a simple solution guys. Don’t buy the game. I bet you all will buy the game, maybe even after midnight, expecting your issues to to be fixed. Now yes, it’s harsh, but the inplementation of sprint, scope and sliding have been in the Halo Lore since before CE. I bet Bungie would’ve added sprint had they had the knowledge of doing so back in 2001. And what would the conversation be? Make sprint better. You all are hypocrites, and are resistant to change, yet you troll on CoD sites and forums saying CoD never changes when you yourselves are resistant to change. Grow da -Yoink- up scrubs. Learn to accept change, and provide proper feedback. All I saw in the OPs post was whining and joining on the bandwagon.

> 2533274873910058;3:
> Skill gap: a skilled player will always know when to sprint and sacrifice aim, and to run steadily and aim with more precision. A skilled player will know how to balance the helath regen handicap, and noob won’t. Just watch Pistola playing Halo 5 and his tactical use of sprint.

Ok sure, there is that tiny skill gap of when to use it. But compare that to without sprint and the skill gap with sprint is negligible.
No sprint, you have to figure out if you opponent will actually kill you, if you have enough time to get away or if you should just try to do more damage, find the nearest cover to get behind, figure out if they will chase you/if you need to relocate.
Sprint, you press a button and find the nearest corner to run around. Not very skillful.

With the H5 health penalty, all that is going to do is encourage people to keep running until the other player gives up chasing. It just disgusts me that with sprint, halo becomes more similar to Hot Pursuit than it does to halo.

> Maps are designed with sprint in mind, this is something they are very metric about and you can see that on the video doc. No issues there, more mobility means more interaction with maps in any direction.

How can you really design a map with sprint in mind when you don’t know when or where someone is going to sprint. The only thing you could do is expand the distance between cover and elongate everything, which just makes it terrible for actual gameplay.

Take Solace for example. It was very noticeably designed for sprint, but it played like s***. It turned into a base camp fest simply because, sure you could sprint across the top of the map, but you would get melted if the other team played halo like it was supposed to be played, and that is without sprint. If a team held up in a base without needing to use sprint, the team that did sprint, would lose, every time.

> I never lost a kill because someone started sprinting (since i can sprint after him too). I have lost a ton of kills because Spartans are bullet sponges and someone else steals the last bullet. Maybe 343 should do something about that…

You never lost a kill because you can barely get a kill in the first place. (sure you can sprint after him, but when does that sprinting war stop? Ultimately it just ends the same way it would have ended 20 seconds early and 3 miles closer)

H4 and Reach had pretty good hit detection, it was the lack of players (cause the games were bad with sprint) that made finding a good connection game hard.

Time to get with the times, sprint is here to stay. I’d be truly shocked if they removed it from the final cut after the Beta. That will be the true test, anyway. Me, I’m all for it, so long as they don’t blame crappy map design on it.

Guys, the only solution here is to voice our opinion to 343 and let’s hope that they’ll remove sprint. I know that they didn’t listened us even after thousands of threads against sprint and many of the abilities are activated while sprinting, but we must insist till the end, because everyone know that sprint already killed halo 4, and will continue to kill future halo titles

I agree 100% but I really doubt they’ll remove sprint unless they add a classic playlist, there’s no real way to balance sprint perfectly. I know everyone has their opinions on the game but can you guys please stop trying to make it seem like others opinions are invalid if you don’t really care how the games gameplay direction is going as long as it’s “new”.

I’m sure Halo won’t die either way since it still has a fascinating story and much potential with custom games and forge, but the balanced competitive aspect really does seem like it’s dying, I know there’s a lot of players who find this completely trivial and don’t value the simple, balanced, arena gameplay that the older Halo games offered but some of us really just want an improvement on that while remaining in its roots and we shouldn’t be shot down because of it. The best solution would be to make classic vanilla playlists or one with a few updates/abilities that don’t tamper with the balance.

I doubt 343 would make changes to please both sides if we just keep arguing against each other unproductively, we’re both fans of a fantastic franchise why can’t we just work and speak up so we can make the game perfect for everyone?

> 2533274872721237;7:
> > 2533274873910058;3:
> > Skill gap: a skilled player will always know when to sprint and sacrifice aim, and to run steadily and aim with more precision. A skilled player will know how to balance the helath regen handicap, and noob won’t. Just watch Pistola playing Halo 5 and his tactical use of sprint.
>
>
>
> Ok sure, there is that tiny skill gap of when to use it. But compare that to without sprint and the skill gap with sprint is negligible.
> No sprint, you have to figure out if you opponent will actually kill you, if you have enough time to get away or if you should just try to do more damage, find the nearest cover to get behind, figure out if they will chase you/if you need to relocate.
> Sprint, you press a button and find the nearest corner to run around. Not very skillful.
>
> With the H5 health penalty, all that is going to do is encourage people to keep running until the other player gives up chasing. It just disgusts me that with sprint, halo becomes more similar to Hot Pursuit than it does to halo.

Until the other player gives up sprinting? I’m sorry but did you not realize that these maps are arena styled? Where are you gonna run to? The other side if the map which the enemy can clearly see? Or keep going in circles and hop to God that the other team members are busy circle jerking each other.

You didn’t fully watch the video did you?

> 2533274872721237;1:
> First off, I am going to start by saying, I am all for the idea of new spartan abilities. I think having thruster as default is one of the best things that could happen to halo, is it is a mechanic that has a skill gap. However, not all of the spartan abilities are like that.
>
> That being said, sprint should not be in halo. Ever.
>
> This is why.
>
> No Skill Gap.
> How can someone really use sprint more “skillfully” than another person? You can only move in one direction, you can’t shoot, and everyone moves the same speed. Sure there is the argument that your shields won’t recharge while sprinting, but think about what this actually does. Instead of the player running away dying like they should have without sprint, all this does is just delays the death to another place and time. If literally nothing changes to either spartan in the engagement, beside location and time, why the f*** do we have sprint?
>
> The Game is Played WITHOUT Sprint.
> Think about it. What do you do when you aren’t sprinting? You play the game. This is the reason why maps break so fing badly with sprint. The maps are designed for base level movement, because that is how spartans really interact with each other. When you add in sprint, it breaks that dynamic of the map.
> That being said, the only way sprint would work, is if you can still shoot while sprinting. And then, if that is the case, why not just bump the movement speed way up and say that your spartan is sprinting all the time (which I thought was originally the case anyway).
>
> Rewards Poor Performance.
> From playing Reach or H4, how many of you at any point have been like “I should have killed that guy, but he got away because of sprint”? 100% of you. Guaranteed. Why then are we giving people who make bad plays, the ability to get out of them? This doesn’t teach that player anything, and because of that, effectively makes the gameplay significantly more shallow. There is no depth to getting away, all you have to do is press a button and run behind a wall. Without sprint, not making bad decisions and getting away is an artform. That’s why some of the professional players like pistola are considered wizards or gods, because they come up with the craftiest ways to turn the tides in battle. With sprint you give that power to everyone with a button, something that doesn’t make any sense.
>
> 343, H5 is your last chance. I really want Halo to continue, but if you f
this up with sprint and other unnecessary abilities, Halo Will Die.

Sprint is here to stay…hate to tell you. If you don’t want sprint in your Halo game go play the Master Chief Collection.

To be honest, my main problem with Sprint is that it signifies the base movement speed is too low. If the core mechanics were true to Arena gameplay there simply wouldn’t be a place for a Sprint mechanic.

> 2533274839952815;10:
> I agree 100% but I really doubt they’ll remove sprint unless they add a classic playlist, there’s no real way to balance sprint perfectly. I know everyone has their opinions on the game but can you guys please trying to make it seem like others opinions are invalid if you don’t really care how the game’s gameplay direction is going as long as it’s “new”.
>
> I’m sure Halo won’t die either way since it still has a fascinating story and much potential with custom games and forge, but the balanced competitive aspect really does seem like it’s dying, I know there’s a lot of players who find this completely trivial and don’t value the simple, balanced, arena gameplay that the older Halo games offered but some of us really just want an improvement on that while remaining in its roots and we shouldn’t be shot down because of it. The best solution would be to make classic vanilla playlists or one with a few updates/abilities that don’t tamper with the balance.
>
> I doubt 343 would make changes to please both sides if we just keep arguing against each other unproductively, we’re both fans of a fantastic franchise why can’t we just work and speak up so we can make the game perfect for everyone?

Uh watch the video. They are clearly going back to halo 2 arena style as pretty much all the big websites, reviewers, gamers and pros have said and noticed. I doubt the competitive spirit is dying, but bickering like children on a forum just adds a much bigger stereotype with the rest of the world.

> 2535464740959821;6:
> I have a simple solution guys. Don’t buy the game. I bet you all will buy the game, maybe even after midnight, expecting your issues to to be fixed. Now yes, it’s harsh, but the inplementation of sprint, scope and sliding have been in the Halo Lore since before CE. I bet Bungie would’ve added sprint had they had the knowledge of doing so back in 2001. And what would the conversation be? Make sprint better. You all are hypocrites, and are resistant to change, yet you troll on CoD sites and forums saying CoD never changes when you yourselves are resistant to change. Grow da -Yoink- up scrubs. Learn to accept change, and provide proper feedback. All I saw in the OPs post was whining and joining on the bandwagon.

I won’t buy the game. I preordered the H4 limited edition cause I bought into the hype, and that was probably my biggest regret involving halo.

Why should we accept change, when the change isnt for the better? Clearly you didn’t read the first paragraph of my post:

> First off, I am going to start by saying, I am all for the idea of new spartan abilities. I think having thruster as default is one of the best things that could happen to halo, is it is a mechanic that has a skill gap. However, not all of the spartan abilities are like that.

I think Thruster has an amazing ability to take halo to the next level. Because it is a skillful ability (unlike sprint).

Take these two videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la4gJp8n9Ds&t=1m30s

Now with everyone having it, it becomes an equal playing field that players can build the skillful ways they use their thruster pack to get the advantage.

I was advocating for a thruster like ability since reach, where I thought the sprint should have been nerfed to a thruster pack length.
The reason why all you saw was negativity is because that’s all there was. Sprint does not belong in halo. Spartans are already sprinting at base level movement.

> 2533274846258994;2:
> OP I guarantee halo will never die, people saw EXACTLY what halo 4 was like and it still sold like crazy.
>
> Don’t like it then don’t buy it

Halo 4 didn’t die? Keep telling yourself that.

I had some friends who were fans of sprint and new to the Halo franchise. So I had them play some 4v4 on beaver creak when I held a Lan party at my house and they were amazed that not once did they have the urge to sprint. As long as sprint has no effect on map design its negativity will be limited however no sprint > sprint any day everyday.

> 2533274872721237;7:
> No sprint, you have to figure out if you opponent will actually kill you, if you have enough time to get away or if you should just try to do more damage, find the nearest cover to get behind, figure out if they will chase you/if you need to relocate.
> Sprint, you press a button and find the nearest corner to run around. Not very skillful.

What are you talking about? the whole purpose of an arena designed map is to provide quick exits for confrontations. Someone escaping a near death situation is a core reality of any Arena shooter. And that was as much real with older Halo’s as well. In Halo 5 if someone starts sprinting then they will likely die due to low health, picked off by someone else. You really are making up reasons to hate sprint.

> 2535464740959821;11:
> > 2533274872721237;7:
> > > 2533274873910058;3:
> > > Skill gap: a skilled player will always know when to sprint and sacrifice aim, and to run steadily and aim with more precision. A skilled player will know how to balance the helath regen handicap, and noob won’t. Just watch Pistola playing Halo 5 and his tactical use of sprint.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Ok sure, there is that tiny skill gap of when to use it. But compare that to without sprint and the skill gap with sprint is negligible.
> > No sprint, you have to figure out if you opponent will actually kill you, if you have enough time to get away or if you should just try to do more damage, find the nearest cover to get behind, figure out if they will chase you/if you need to relocate.
> > Sprint, you press a button and find the nearest corner to run around. Not very skillful.
> >
> > With the H5 health penalty, all that is going to do is encourage people to keep running until the other player gives up chasing. It just disgusts me that with sprint, halo becomes more similar to Hot Pursuit than it does to halo.
>
>
> Until the other player gives up sprinting? I’m sorry but did you not realize that these maps are arena styled? Where are you gonna run to? The other side if the map which the enemy can clearly see? Or keep going in circles and hop to God that the other team members are busy circle jerking each other.
>
> You didn’t fully watch the video did you?

Lol you really under estimate how badly sprint breaks maps. I’ve run circles around the pillars on haven and stayed alive because of it. It’s really not that hard to get away sprinting, which is exactly the problem.

Plus I would run to my side of the map so my teammates could kill the guy that was chasing me, which in reality I should have died.

And I’ve watched the video fully twice. And notice how they subtly tried to sneak in sprint kinda at the end. It’s cause they know they are f***ed for putting it in, but its all of you casuals that keep demanding that there be sprint, or just not caring.

Unless halo gets Sub 0.5s kill times, sprint will never work.

> 2535464740959821;14:
> > 2533274839952815;10:
> > I agree 100% but I really doubt they’ll remove sprint unless they add a classic playlist, there’s no real way to balance sprint perfectly. I know everyone has their opinions on the game but can you guys please trying to make it seem like others opinions are invalid if you don’t really care how the game’s gameplay direction is going as long as it’s “new”.
> >
> > I’m sure Halo won’t die either way since it still has a fascinating story and much potential with custom games and forge, but the balanced competitive aspect really does seem like it’s dying, I know there’s a lot of players who find this completely trivial and don’t value the simple, balanced, arena gameplay that the older Halo games offered but some of us really just want an improvement on that while remaining in its roots and we shouldn’t be shot down because of it. The best solution would be to make classic vanilla playlists or one with a few updates/abilities that don’t tamper with the balance.
> >
> > I doubt 343 would make changes to please both sides if we just keep arguing against each other unproductively, we’re both fans of a fantastic franchise why can’t we just work and speak up so we can make the game perfect for everyone?
>
>
> Uh watch the video. They are clearly going back to halo 2 arena style as pretty much all the big websites, reviewers, gamers and pros have said and noticed. I doubt the competitive spirit is dying, but bickering like children on a forum just adds a much bigger stereotype with the rest of the world.

The pros also mentioned the same about Halo 4, this all just seems like deja vu. Though it seems like it’s better balanced than Halo 4 with the equal starts and removal of loadouts it’s losing its simplicity, right now the multiplayer looks like a hot mess that tried to incorporate everything all the rest of the FPS genre has in attempts to “modernize” Halo. I’ll hold my judgment until I play the Beta though, I just really think they should add a sprintless playlist with abilities that improve on the old without breaking the balance.