Why some casual players hate the end of halo 5.

So I know this will be a controversial topic and I’m excited to see comments, but now it’s time to dive in.
In my honest opinion, I think Halo 4 and 5 were both pretty good stand-alone games. I think 4 was 343i gaining their strides and 5 was them making Halo their own along with modernizing the multiplayer experience. Now when both of these games came out, they got decent reviews and the stories were very different from bungie. I think both companies did a good job with the game but after seeing how Bungie did with Destiny, I’m glad that they aren’t directing Halo. I think Destiny was fine post all DLC but not what Halo should have evolved to (but I’m getting side tracked). Halo 4, 5 and soon 6 are a trilogy. When Halo 5 concluded (and we all know what happened) I heard tremendous backlash from a lot of people that got it for the multiplayer because of the cliff hanger. I personally think that the cliff hanger is fine and my reasoning is simple. People are not realizing that this is a trilogy because were I an age of gaming where most are stand-alone and have terrible campaigns (COD, Battlefield, Titanfall). It seems like that’s what people want anymore, so when a game is published in a cinematic way, it confuses some casual gamers (not to be misconstrued as an insult). I still think Halo is pumping out good additions to the franchise and is still an iconic game. It just seems as though gaming is moving towards stand-alone campaigns and away from cinematic experiences. Halo is still pushing the movie like story and I think it should continue on this path, even if some people don’t realize the individuality that Halo and 343i have.

Please feel free to comment!

The sp in h5 is pure garbage. It was marketing fraud… Ahahaha chief vs louche more like a small punch out. Also 3 or 4 chief missions. And character developement was trash. I played it halfway and lost desire to finish it. I just watched the ending on YouTube omg… Such crap. I play h5 for mp only and reccomend that they forget it exists

The single player sucks because there not ending the trilogy with halo 6, how are they gonna stop the forerunner, cortana, and all the guardians in one game. No Halo 5 it basically a game that helps 343 come out with more then just one more game based around chief. But the story has been going on for 15 years it needs to end at halo 6. Some one can grow up into a young adult in 15 years and if master chiefs story keeps telling the whole story is all gonna blend together at some point. Also halo 5 ruined halo 4, it ruined cortanas sad emotional death and halo 5 had nothing to do with the forerunner and by that I mean the Librarian and the Didact. So -Yoink- Halo 5.

No, it’s not just the casual players. I have read all of the books and the comics. I’ve played through all of the campaigns and found all of the terminals. The reason there was backlash is that Halo 5’s story was a horribly written mess which ret-conned the hell out of H4 and with a cliff-hanger ending that left literally nothing resolved or explained in any way. Tons of questions raised. None answered. Character development was amateurish at best. Blue Team’s role was basically non-existent.

H5’s story was garbage. Period. Published in a “cinematic way?” What on Earth do you think that means?

Clearly you’re in the vast minority. And wrong too.

I don’t think it’s the cliffhanger that was the problem. Sure, alot of people commented on the how the cliffy felt undeserved, but it wasn’t the cliffy alone. Much of Halo 5’s story ignored the events of Halo 4 and the comics that tell the events between 4 and 5; not to mention, Halo 5’s story ignores the absolutely stellar marketing campaign, from the Hunt the Truth episodes to the Locke vs. Chief trailers. Halo 5 also took a beloved character, retconned their death, and made them a bad guy. Halo 5 didn’t feel like a direct extension of the previous game. Based on Halo 4, Spartan Ops, and Escalation, one might have expected Halo 5 to deal with how the Chief handles life without Cortana, how the UNSC deals with all the Forerunner tech out there in the galaxy, what’s going on with the Didact now that he’s contained, Halsey’s relationship with the UNSC, and so on. But Halo 5 kind of skipped over all that and went straight for this new “man vs AI”, Cortana-is-like-Palpatine storyline.

Even stories that are part of a trilogy have their beginning middle and end. Even halo 2, much maligned for its cliffhanger, told a story about the evolution of the arbiter from the hand of the prophets to a rebel leader. From the covenant being at its strongest to suddenly ripping itself apart.

H5 doesn’t do this. It just wraps up h4 cheep in the first 30 minutes and wastes your time with Osiris cleaning up the covenant. Them Cortana just becomes galactic empress. The covenant have already been given 2 excuses to be around despite the game toting their end.

Setup movies are also being much a maligned these days because of the sacrifices they make trying to advertise how great a future movie will be.

I’m not a casual gamer, and I hated Halo 5’s entire campaign, not just the ending. The cliff hanger didn’t bother me at all, it’s how the entire story panned out and made absolutely no sense.

The path shall continue

> 2533274795515722;2:
> The sp in h5 is pure garbage. It was marketing fraud… Ahahaha chief vs louche more like a small punch out. Also 3 or 4 chief missions. And character developement was trash. I played it halfway and lost desire to finish it. I just watched the ending on YouTube omg… Such crap. I play h5 for mp only and reccomend that they forget it exists

Wasn’t H2’s?

“DEFEND EARTH FROM THE COVENANT ONSLAUGHT!”

Yet Halo 2’s campaign is praised…

> 2533274873580796;10:
> > 2533274795515722;2:
> > The sp in h5 is pure garbage. It was marketing fraud… Ahahaha chief vs louche more like a small punch out. Also 3 or 4 chief missions. And character developement was trash. I played it halfway and lost desire to finish it. I just watched the ending on YouTube omg… Such crap. I play h5 for mp only and reccomend that they forget it exists
>
>
> Wasn’t H2’s?
>
> “DEFEND EARTH FROM THE COVENANT ONSLAUGHT!”
>
> Yet Halo 2’s campaign is praised…

Apparently you missed the entirety of the Arbiter’s arc?

> 2533274873580796;10:
> > 2533274795515722;2:
> > The sp in h5 is pure garbage. It was marketing fraud… Ahahaha chief vs louche more like a small punch out. Also 3 or 4 chief missions. And character developement was trash. I played it halfway and lost desire to finish it. I just watched the ending on YouTube omg… Such crap. I play h5 for mp only and reccomend that they forget it exists
>
>
> Wasn’t H2’s?
>
> “DEFEND EARTH FROM THE COVENANT ONSLAUGHT!”
>
> Yet Halo 2’s campaign is praised…

H2 had equal chief and arbiter missions. Fleshed out and introduced us to the arbiter. H5 had none of it. Sorry h2 had a great sp and hard one on legendary

> 2533274890584596;11:
> > 2533274873580796;10:
> > > 2533274795515722;2:
> > > The sp in h5 is pure garbage. It was marketing fraud… Ahahaha chief vs louche more like a small punch out. Also 3 or 4 chief missions. And character developement was trash. I played it halfway and lost desire to finish it. I just watched the ending on YouTube omg… Such crap. I play h5 for mp only and reccomend that they forget it exists
> >
> >
> > Wasn’t H2’s?
> >
> > “DEFEND EARTH FROM THE COVENANT ONSLAUGHT!”
> >
> > Yet Halo 2’s campaign is praised…
>
>
> Apparently you missed the entirety of the Arbiter’s arc?

You’re missing the point…

Halo 2’s story wasn’t what was advertised either.

> 2533274873580796;13:
> > 2533274890584596;11:
> > > 2533274873580796;10:
> > > > 2533274795515722;2:
> > > > The sp in h5 is pure garbage. It was marketing fraud… Ahahaha chief vs louche more like a small punch out. Also 3 or 4 chief missions. And character developement was trash. I played it halfway and lost desire to finish it. I just watched the ending on YouTube omg… Such crap. I play h5 for mp only and reccomend that they forget it exists
> > >
> > >
> > > Wasn’t H2’s?
> > >
> > > “DEFEND EARTH FROM THE COVENANT ONSLAUGHT!”
> > >
> > > Yet Halo 2’s campaign is praised…
> >
> >
> > Apparently you missed the entirety of the Arbiter’s arc?
>
>
> You’re missing the point…
>
> Halo 2’s story wasn’t what was advertised either.

Sure it was. The launch trailer was just a re-imagining of the iconic “give the Covenant back their bomb”, and the preceding E3 teaser was a re-imagining of the battle of New Mombasa. What you saw in the trailers was very close to what you did in the beginning of the game (as Chief). We don’t get any semblance of what we saw in the Halo 5 “Hunt the Truth” trailers or the 2013 E3 trailer in the actual game.

My problem is this: Make the Campaign reflect a story for the people who care about.

> 2533274890584596;4:
> No, it’s not just the casual players. I have read all of the books and the comics. I’ve played through all of the campaigns and found all of the terminals. The reason there was backlash is that Halo 5’s story was a horribly written mess which ret-conned the hell out of H4 and with a cliff-hanger ending that left literally nothing resolved or explained in any way. Tons of questions raised. None answered. Character development was amateurish at best. Blue Team’s role was basically non-existent.
>
> H5’s story was garbage. Period. Published in a “cinematic way?” What on Earth do you think that means?

See I haven’t read the books or comics, I’ve watched the movies and played the games, and I was left completely confused by Halo 5’s story. I figured at least the book people got it, but I guess H5 came out of left field for them too. I can agree that Halo 5 would’ve been fine as a stand alone game, but it shouldn’t have been treated as such. It had all of the lore and build up from Halo 4 to support it, but instead it dropped it all. It could have easily been a better campaign than what we received. Cliff hangars are fine; It is a useful writing implement to create suspense. I didn’t mind that. What does bother me is that it felt like they disconnected Halo 5 from the rest of the franchise and went in a completely different direction with things. That’s just my mini-rant/opinion. I hope Halo 6 has a phenomenal campaign, and builds off the good parts of H4 and H5.

> 2533274817408735;14:
> Sure it was. The launch trailer was just a re-imagining of the iconic “give the Covenant back their bomb”, and the preceding E3 teaser was a re-imagining of the battle of New Mombasa. What you saw in the trailers was very close to what you did in the beginning of the game (as Chief). We don’t get any semblance of what we saw in the Halo 5 “Hunt the Truth” trailers or the 2013 E3 trailer in the actual game.

h2 trailers also talked about it like this was the big invasion of earth, look at the h2 announcement trailer, earth is a nuclear wasteland and radios are talking about the apocalypse. In game they’re just like “meh, we’ve seen bigger”, and earth, even by h3’s time, is better than it looks in the h2 trailer.

Locke and chief fought, just not in the way advertised.

> 2533274964189700;16:
> > 2533274817408735;14:
> > Sure it was. The launch trailer was just a re-imagining of the iconic “give the Covenant back their bomb”, and the preceding E3 teaser was a re-imagining of the battle of New Mombasa. What you saw in the trailers was very close to what you did in the beginning of the game (as Chief). We don’t get any semblance of what we saw in the Halo 5 “Hunt the Truth” trailers or the 2013 E3 trailer in the actual game.
>
>
> h2 trailers also talked about it like this was the big invasion of earth, look at the h2 announcement trailer, earth is a nuclear wasteland and radios are talking about the apocalypse. In game they’re just like “meh, we’ve seen bigger”, and earth, even by h3’s time, is better than it looks in the h2 trailer.
>
> Locke and chief fought, just not in the way advertised.

I guess a long-hyped fight for you is a non-interaction cutscene.

> 2533274964189700;16:
> > 2533274817408735;14:
> > Sure it was. The launch trailer was just a re-imagining of the iconic “give the Covenant back their bomb”, and the preceding E3 teaser was a re-imagining of the battle of New Mombasa. What you saw in the trailers was very close to what you did in the beginning of the game (as Chief). We don’t get any semblance of what we saw in the Halo 5 “Hunt the Truth” trailers or the 2013 E3 trailer in the actual game.
>
>
> h2 trailers also talked about it like this was the big invasion of earth, look at the h2 announcement trailer, earth is a nuclear wasteland and radios are talking about the apocalypse. In game they’re just like “meh, we’ve seen bigger”, and earth, even by h3’s time, is better than it looks in the h2 trailer.
>
> Locke and chief fought, just not in the way advertised.

So, two seasons of Hunt the Truth intrigue culminating in a pathetic spartan slap fight in-cutscene is equivalent to a more dramatic portrayal of a massive alien invasion that definitely did happen in-game? OK.

> 2533274873580796;10:
> > 2533274795515722;2:
> > The sp in h5 is pure garbage. It was marketing fraud… Ahahaha chief vs louche more like a small punch out. Also 3 or 4 chief missions. And character developement was trash. I played it halfway and lost desire to finish it. I just watched the ending on YouTube omg… Such crap. I play h5 for mp only and reccomend that they forget it exists
>
>
> Wasn’t H2’s?
>
> “DEFEND EARTH FROM THE COVENANT ONSLAUGHT!”
>
> Yet Halo 2’s campaign is praised…

Hey, at least Halo 2 told a story from two sides evenly and had a satisfying conclusion with a more deserved cliffhanger. Halo 2 also had unique boss fights and not some recycled cheap boss fight. The campaign was longer and more challenging. Arbiter was a lot more favorable than Locke. Compared to Halo 5, Halo 2 had a golden story and campaign.

> 2533274817976264;17:
> I guess a long-hyped fight for you is a non-interaction cutscene.

After indulging in the fiction and halo CE at the time, the covenant invasion of earth in h2 was an absolute joke.
ODST and halo 3 definitely made it seem more impressive, but halo 2 doesn’t really feel like earth is all that threatened.

> 2533274890584596;18:
> So, two seasons of Hunt the Truth intrigue culminating in a pathetic spartan slap fight in-cutscene is equivalent to a more dramatic portrayal of a massive alien invasion that definitely did happen in-game? OK.

‘Massive alien invasion’ isn’t till ODST/Halo 3. In h2 by itself its just a small fleet that has bumped into us by accident, their fleet seems to get tangled up in orbit, only 1 ship makes it to the surface. Chief snaps the laws of physics in half to deliver a bomb and land on a ship. The one ship that does make it to the surface than high-tails it and runs. Dialogue on high charity makes it seems like their next attack is well, a second attack, and not reinforcing occupation forces.

Oh and then the covenants falls apart.

Admittedly h2’s ending does still show a battle happening at earth, so this ‘massive invasion’, despite the passage of time, still seems to not be accomplishing much. And honestly the whole scene is chief mostly just saying he’s got things handled.

Honestly I expected h2 to feel like Reach, where humanity actually seems like its outgunned and has its back to the wall. Where victory is snatched out of the jaws of defeat. Instead Chief just goes around being unstoppable and the covenant is apparently snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory. The covenant in halo 2 honestly felt like a joke to me till later games patched things up.

I will admit h5’s promotions did push a certain angle more, but it also simply had more promotions.Perhaps my luke-warm disappointment at the advertising material is merely due to my expectations already being lowered by 2’s situation.