Why so Hateful?

I thought that the Halo community was supposed to be a good one. I really appreciated all that 343 has done and the effort that they made on their “First Ever Game”. I love Halo 4 and of course I have things that I wish were different but it is a brilliant game. It isn’t generic either. It still feels like halo and it has kept its sandbox style gameplay.

I think people have a lot to be grateful for and bashing the community managers is not going to help with any 343 enthusiasm. You can’t just bash something that so many people put their heart and soul into for so many years. The 343 team are actually fans, they care about the game.

I’m not saying that people shouldn’t try to hint to the 343 team things that they would have liked more in the game but you can be civil and also respect them. 343 made a great Halo and actually decided to explore new things.

How is halo becoming more generic just because it has sprint or an instant respawn? It is like saying to the guy in the ice cream truck, “You added a chocolate flake into my mint ice cream and now it tastes just like vanilla”. Honestly I don’t understand that kind of logic.

If you have a complaint fine but to say that one flavour of game somehow became another just because some things were added is insane. What happened to sensible discussion and the mature Halo community?

It used to be a lot of fun here on waypoint before all of those people started ruining it. In fact ranting on about it shows a certain amount of immaturity in the Halo community at present.

To try another analogy for the artists out there. Imagine that you have been spending a lot of time on a painting or drawing and you think it is going well and finally after all of that effort you finally release it to people and they tell you that it sucks. You know that feeling well imagine what it is like for 343. They have spent years on this game and suddenly on their own waypoint forums all they are getting is hate with a severe lack of objectivity.

I personally wish 343 all the best and I am really happy with the way it turned out the old Halo LAN parties have been breaking out again amongst my friends. It has been a blast.

Whilst the multiplayer isn’t perfect it is still fun to play. I know that we get annoyed with the boltshot and other things but that doesn’t take away from the fun of it. I just hope that the guys in 343 know that they made a great game and a lot of people still love it.

More people will come back to the multiplayer but it has been a crazy winter with ACIII, BLOPS II >:(, Far Cry 3.

Just to summarise some of the points:
It is ok have a complaint about the game so long as you can put it forward in a cordial manner.
You should respect other peoples hard work and effort into making a game on a series that they love.
Hate posts don’t get anyone anywhere and just serve to demoralise the poor souls of 343 that are tasked with monitoring the forums.

Wish you all the best at 343 and I hope you continue to make good Halo games and learn from this game as well.

Sarah Palin.

The Community Is good .You just got to watch out for the ones who have nothing to do but cry on forums 24/7

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members. This includes stat-flaming.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

dude i gave them 60$ for halo 4, they gave me halo reach 2, you clearly cant get pass lvl 20 or even 15 in halo 3 lmfao, but to make this constructive, i do like the way they improved the grapics and the concept of the great shading and contrast and graphic violence, but everything else is garabage lmfao

Lets face it … Halo 4 is just a beta for Halo 5 .

> To try another analogy for the artists out there. Imagine that you have been spending a lot of time on a painting or drawing and you think it is going well and finally after all of that effort you finally release it to people and they tell you that it sucks. You know that feeling well imagine what it is like for 343. They have spent years on this game and suddenly on their own waypoint forums all they are getting is hate with a severe lack of objectivity.

That painter is not going to sell millions of paintings irrespective of his efforts. 343 did.

Of course everyone has been overly harsh. But we’re talking about the masses here. When have the masses EVER been civilized? I would hope that they’re not letting their feelings get hurt by insignificant people like me and others.

A good portion of the complaints come from a gap between personal expectations, 343’s public statements, and reality. All three of these things are clashing (amongst other things, like Microsoft’s, 343’s, and our interests).

It’s how you deal with all of it. 343 has been very quiet. A good way to cut down on the ranting would be to simply tell the forum community that they do not want us providing feedback here. There are other ways of harvesting feedback, ones not as rant-prone as an internet forum.

> dude i gave them**…**

He likes Halo 4 so he is bad at Halo 3 .That is a totally ridiculus Post LOL .

> Lets face it … Halo 4 is just a beta for Halo 5 .

> Technically, this should be a retrospective, but it’s safe to say I’m more excited about the future than the past. Excited about what this team is already working on. Excited about what this team is capable of. And excited about the future of Halo. A future we want you to be a part of. A future we’re building for you.

You’re exactly right. They’ve got their minds in the future, not the present, even though we were told that they would be HEAVILY focused on the present: playlist maintenance, map packs, TUs. Of course, all of these things are still going to happen, but they’re clearly not top priority.

Again, we were told one thing, but they’re doing another.

> dude i gave them**…**

For the record I did get past skill rank 20 and you have made a good example of someone that shows a complete lack of restraint. Constructive does not mean say something you thought was good and continue to bash the game.

> > Lets face it … Halo 4 is just a beta for Halo 5 .
>
>
>
> > Technically, this should be a retrospective, but it’s safe to say I’m more excited about the future than the past. Excited about what this team is already working on. Excited about what this team is capable of. And excited about the future of Halo. A future we want you to be a part of. A future we’re building for you.
>
> You’re exactly right. They’ve got their minds in the future, not the present, even though we were told that they would be HEAVILY focused on the present: playlist maintenance, map packs, TUs. Of course, all of these things are still going to happen, but they’re clearly not top priority.
>
> Again, we were told one thing, but they’re doing another.

And they are focusing on the present. In fact they have even hired on extra staff to support them in this.

I’ll tell you why WE are hateful. The game is bad, even after WE begged and pleaded with them for traditional Halo, an upgraded/updated version of H2/H3. Why not build from the successful games in the series instead of the unsuccessful? WE told them WE didn’t want another Reach, as the majority of Halo players rejected this game. They didn’t listen to US and gave US Reach on steroids. WE already dealt with 2 years of a game that’s not really Halo and now WE are expected to play a Halo game that isn’t Halo at all! Now, WE are mad as hell and WE are coming on to the forum to let 343 know that they have ruined Halo, the game that WE once loved and couldn’t stop playing. I’ll do a quick list of a few reasons why the game is bad in case you’ve been living under a rock the past 3 months.

  • all new weapons overpowered
  • random player spawns
  • bullet magnetism and the aim assist
  • random weapon drops and the silly labels that accompany them
  • ordinance drops
  • spawning with plasma pistol & stickies, rendering vehicles useless
  • no friendly-fire in BTB(not sure about other playlists since i no longer play)
  • flinch
  • sprint
  • AA’s
  • damage and speed boost(game wasn’t gimmicky enough i guess)

There are many other reasons, but those are some biggies that I can think of from the top of my head.

I love Halo 4 and that’s it. I know that there are some annoying features that people over exaggerate like being a bright green color if you’re a spartan in Flood, but to be honest most of these people who moan about Halo 4 being a bad game need to get over them selves. 2007 has been and gone. So if you’re one of those people, if you don’t like Halo 4 then don’t play it for crying out loud. Until I signed up with Waypoint I thought the Halo community was great, but what do you know? About 35% are a bunch of hardly supportive groaners. Please just stop spamming up the forums with negative comments as most of the stuff you guys say isn’t constructive criticism, it’s just uncalled for! Yes, there are some things that you may not like about Halo 4 but 343 have more than likely taken it into consideration to improve Halo 4 and help build upon the latest game of a series that we all know and love.

> You’re exactly right. They’ve got their minds in the future, not the present, even though we were told that they would be HEAVILY focused on the present: playlist maintenance, map packs, TUs. Of course, all of these things are still going to happen, but they’re clearly not top priority.
>
> Again, we were told one thing, but they’re doing another.

Ummm…I think you are wrong.

Playlist maintenance: New playlist every week. It might not be the playlist maintenance many of us want, but it is happening.

Map Packs: We got a new map pack one month after the game was released. Another next month, and another in April(?) With Halo 3 and Reach, we didn’t get a map pack for several months with no word on when others were coming. They are also introducing forge maps on the 21st to be playtested and eventually added to MM.

TUs: We got one on Day 1, another a month later, another one (that just fixed MS’s flub with the map pack) in December and we have a THIRD one coming by the end of Feb. Again, with Halo 3, the first TU didn’t come for 5 months, and Reach didn’t get one until a year later.

You should check your facts next time. We are being told one thing…which just so happens to be what they are doing.

Oh, and OP: I think the reason things have gotten so…crazy…is because a new Halo game was released. It happens every time, sadly. People hate the new Halo at first, grow to love it, forums calm down, hype is built for the new game, it is released and the cycle begins again.

Why not be so hateful? I hate new Halo games, every single new release but the old ones (including Reach) were perfect. It’s not nostalgia it’s a fact, Halo 4 will never reach the heights of the older Halo games.

#forumlogic

> Why not be so hateful? I hate new Halo games, every single new release but the old ones (including Reach) were perfect. It’s not nostalgia it’s a fact, Halo 4 will never reach the heights of the older Halo games.
>
>
>
> #forumlogic

I can understand it not living up to Halo CE, Halo 2, or Halo 3, but It is by far better than reach. Only thing reach had was a better file sharing system…which possibly could make it better. I dunno…I’m really tired.

> > Why not be so hateful? I hate new Halo games, every single new release but the old ones (including Reach) were perfect. It’s not nostalgia it’s a fact, Halo 4 will never reach the heights of the older Halo games.
> >
> >
> >
> > #forumlogic
>
> I can understand it not living up to Halo CE, Halo 2, or Halo 3, but It is by far better than reach. Only thing reach had was a better file sharing system…which possibly could make it better. I dunno…I’m really tired.

Looks like you didn’t pick up on my mocking of the Halo forums :stuck_out_tongue:

> > You’re exactly right. They’ve got their minds in the future, not the present, even though we were told that they would be HEAVILY focused on the present: playlist maintenance, map packs, TUs. Of course, all of these things are still going to happen, but they’re clearly not top priority.
> >
> > Again, we were told one thing, but they’re doing another.
>
> Ummm…I think you are wrong.
>
> Playlist maintenance: New playlist every week. It might not be the playlist maintenance many of us want, but it is happening.
>
> Map Packs: We got a new map pack one month after the game was released. Another next month, and another in April(?) With Halo 3 and Reach, we didn’t get a map pack for several months with no word on when others were coming. They are also introducing forge maps on the 21st to be playtested and eventually added to MM.
>
> TUs: We got one on Day 1, another a month later, another one (that just fixed MS’s flub with the map pack) in December and we have a THIRD one coming by the end of Feb. Again, with Halo 3, the first TU didn’t come for 5 months, and Reach didn’t get one until a year later.
>
> You should check your facts next time. We are being told one thing…which just so happens to be what they are doing.
>
> Oh, and OP: I think the reason things have gotten so…crazy…is because a new Halo game was released. It happens every time, sadly. People hate the new Halo at first, grow to love it, forums calm down, hype is built for the new game, it is released and the cycle begins again.

You’re right. However, it upsets me to be hearing about talk of the future or even hints at the next Halo game. I continue to argue that everyone would be better off if all these updates and maps and everything could’ve just been released all at once.

I’m new to the Xbox universe. I honestly didn’t realize how large the pay-to-have-more-fun market was. I didn’t realize how much weight DLC content had in the Xbox universe. I honestly thought it was almost unique to the Halo universe. But I guess not. I also did not understand the extent to which late updates are accepted.

I would much rather have effort be put in to MINIMIZE future updates. It makes a better product. It makes a happier customer. When I finally bought my very first Xbox and nearly all of the 360 Halo games, I didn’t realize I was jumping into a universe that demands a constant cash flow. I thought I was buying the games as total packages.

This is why I am upset with talk of future as if right now doesn’t matter. “Don’t worry, we’ll make everything better LATER, and it’ll probably cost you too” (think Spartan Ops. Fortunately they offered the War Games Map Pass which is a one-time package buy and it’s a little cheaper than buying all three individually).

Hateful because our loved franchise got butchered, and has even less features than before. I know they had a bumpy development but this just sucks.

To understand it you simply have to notice how many of the haters use the term “My/Our Halo” in their posts.

They’re people who’ve decided they know what the series should look like and will not accept, even begrudgingly, anything else and asset vehemently that anyone who disagrees with them isn’t a true Halo fan.

They’re the people who never really gave 343 any slack for their first Halo game, and looked at the recent apology and ‘we know we made mistakes, we’re still learning’ blog from 343 and said “not good enough, fix it NOW!”

Heck I’m sure some of them have now forgiven Bungie for Reach, deciding instead that it was 343’s fault as they consulted on the game…

In short it’s a self important, intolerant rose-coloured glasses attitude, that completely refuses to give Halo 4 a chance or acknowledge that the series must evolve with the times or it will die out.

Oh yeah btw, just a note I’m not including people who say that there are problems then go on to offer suggestions on how things can be fixed - they’re at least being constructive. I’m talking about the “take it back to how it was in Halo 2/3!” people.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Waste of a thread here, op obviously never played 1-3, or at least was to young or drunk to remember.