Why so butthurt over Master Chief?

So as we all know Master Chief’s face “face” was revealed. I don’t understand why some people are so poopoo about it. You’re not him. His name is John. He has a voice, he’s his own person. Yes, I know he didn’t talk very much during Halo CE and Halo 2, but my point is that you’re just a gamer who is playing from his perspective. You’re not actually immersed into being him. There are several points throughout Halo 4’s campaign that show that John wants to claim himself as a human, not just a machine built for war. “She said that to me once. About being a machine.” This confirms that Cortana wanted John to act more human than just tool of war. Ok, I wanted type this to see your reactions. My question to you is, why do you care so much about a damn video game character? It’s a bunch of -Yoinking!- pixels. I respect your opinions, but I’m asking you why are you guys so pissed off that 343i is showing more of John’s human side. Can you just let 343i do what they want in campaign? We, the fans, have no voice in it. If you do care so much, please explain.

> I always thought revealing Master Chief’s face was a bad idea until 343 actually revealed part of it in the Legendary Ending.
>
> As Master Chief, I was never able to picture myself AS JOHN-117 because he does everything for me. He has his own voice, his own armor, his own name, his own skill set, and makes his own choices. He’s a CHARACTER that I never truly felt like when playing Halo. Sure, I could play as him during gameplay but I was never really “him”.
>
> So I don’t know why everybody is still getting all butthurt. My friends agree with me that revealing his face wasn’t too bad, even though they originally thought it would be.

You’re completely right.
But here’s afunny video where Chief explains why he doesn’t show his face :slight_smile:
I pretend I’m somebody else- my OWN Spartan.

Can you paste and quote what I wrote on 0T4, Ark?

I’d greatly appreciate it. :slight_smile:

That’s exactly how I feel. I’m glad they didn’t show his whole face yet. I think they’re definitely leading up to it, though. I’d guess we’ll actually see it in Halo 6.

You guys!

No one should be mad. We only saw his eyes, no big whoop.

Lulz, i do remember one of the most funny threads after, and this kid was like,

“why you show halos face?”

> You guys!
>
> No one should be mad. We only saw his eyes, no big whoop.
>
> Lulz, i do remember one of the most funny threads after, and this kid was like,
>
> “why you show halos face?”

Because eh’s a pretty cool guy.

> > You guys!
> >
> > No one should be mad. We only saw his eyes, no big whoop.
> >
> > Lulz, i do remember one of the most funny threads after, and this kid was like,
> >
> > “why you show halos face?”
>
> Because eh’s a pretty cool guy.

Do you think he would be fun to hang out with?

> > > You guys!
> > >
> > > No one should be mad. We only saw his eyes, no big whoop.
> > >
> > > Lulz, i do remember one of the most funny threads after, and this kid was like,
> > >
> > > “why you show halos face?”
> >
> > Because eh’s a pretty cool guy.
>
> Do you think he would be fun to hang out with?

Of course, eh kills aleins and doesn’t afraid of anything (misspelings intentional).

Yeah I know, they should be focusing on his gameplay mechanics.

Chief, you’re now a worthless cripple!

Or perhaps not?

> > > > You guys!
> > > >
> > > > No one should be mad. We only saw his eyes, no big whoop.
> > > >
> > > > Lulz, i do remember one of the most funny threads after, and this kid was like,
> > > >
> > > > “why you show halos face?”
> > >
> > > Because eh’s a pretty cool guy.
> >
> > Do you think he would be fun to hang out with?
>
> Of course, eh kills aleins and doesn’t afraid of anything (misspelings intentional).

Get a room!
A room in space!
Candle light…some flowers, SPAGHETTI DINNER!

You know why I’m so butthurt? I’ll tell you why! Because of chicken nuggets I can’t… wait, wrong topic.

I didn’t, don’t and won’t have a problem with the revelation of John’s face.
It is moving his story forward. He has had much back story told in the books, even describing his features as a child, so he was truly never a faceless, hollow character.

> > > > > You guys!
> > > > >
> > > > > No one should be mad. We only saw his eyes, no big whoop.
> > > > >
> > > > > Lulz, i do remember one of the most funny threads after, and this kid was like,
> > > > >
> > > > > “why you show halos face?”
> > > >
> > > > Because eh’s a pretty cool guy.
> > >
> > > Do you think he would be fun to hang out with?
> >
> > Of course, eh kills aleins and doesn’t afraid of anything (misspelings intentional).
>
> Get a room!
> A room in space!
> Candle light…some flowers, SPAGHETTI DINNER!

Thats what i’m talkin bout!

> You know why I’m so butthurt? I’ll tell you why! Because of chicken nuggets I can’t… wait, wrong topic.
>
>
> I didn’t, don’t and won’t have a problem with the revelation of John’s face.
> It is moving his story forward. He has had much back story told in the books, even describing his features as a child, so he was truly never a faceless, hollow character.

Exactly Armada!

He is a man, not just a suit of armor or a robot. A man has a face.

> > > You guys!
> > >
> > > No one should be mad. We only saw his eyes, no big whoop.
> > >
> > > Lulz, i do remember one of the most funny threads after, and this kid was like,
> > >
> > > “why you show halos face?”
> >
> > Because eh’s a pretty cool guy.
>
> Do you think he would be fun to hang out with?

No, but it kills aliens and doesn’t afraid of anything.

> > You know why I’m so butthurt? I’ll tell you why! Because of chicken nuggets I can’t… wait, wrong topic.
> >
> >
> > I didn’t, don’t and won’t have a problem with the revelation of John’s face.
> > It is moving his story forward. He has had much back story told in the books, even describing his features as a child, so he was truly never a faceless, hollow character.
>
> Exactly Armada!
>
> He is a man, not just a suit of armor or a robot. A man has a face.

which means 343i has every right to do whatever the hell they want with campaign, right? yeppers.

> > > > You guys!
> > > >
> > > > No one should be mad. We only saw his eyes, no big whoop.
> > > >
> > > > Lulz, i do remember one of the most funny threads after, and this kid was like,
> > > >
> > > > “why you show halos face?”
> > >
> > > Because eh’s a pretty cool guy.
> >
> > Do you think he would be fun to hang out with?
>
> No, but it kills aliens and doesn’t afraid of anything.

You win, everyone else go home.

OT: I don’t think it’s a huge deal. I’m annoyed by it certainly, but it was bound to happen at some point anyway.

I like your style, OP

The only reason(s) I can think of to NEVER reveals his face:

• The Internet would break from all the Halo fans posting “what haz 343 done!”
  • In some ways I think the mystery behind his look is what makes his character appealing. Players form their own image of what he looks like. It’s in that sense that they ‘become’ the Master Chief. I think.
  • But if he does remove his helmet, 343 could make sure to always have a strategically placed bowl of fruit (or other item) to obscure his face
  • The main reason it’s probably not a good idea - there’d probably be a never ending argument over how he SHOULD have looked, and more than likely many people will hate it

Ok, fellas turn it around.

I think that people were upset because they wanted him to remain faceless, mostly because they had grown up with him being under the helmet. Change is sometimes a painful process, i think 343i got some unfair flack for showing his “face” because the are the new guys on the block and in some members eyes, driving the bus blind.

Honestly, i think they would have had alot more issue with it, if they had shown his entire face.

> > > > > You guys!
> > > > >
> > > > > No one should be mad. We only saw his eyes, no big whoop.
> > > > >
> > > > > Lulz, i do remember one of the most funny threads after, and this kid was like,
> > > > >
> > > > > “why you show halos face?”
> > > >
> > > > Because eh’s a pretty cool guy.
> > >
> > > Do you think he would be fun to hang out with?
> >
> > No, but it kills aliens and doesn’t afraid of anything.
>
> You win, everyone else go home.
>
> OT: I don’t think it’s a huge deal. I’m annoyed by it certainly, but it was bound to happen at some point anyway.

yes, it was bound to happen whether or we wanted it. Like i said, We the fans have no say in campaign. :slight_smile:

> > > You know why I’m so butthurt? I’ll tell you why! Because of chicken nuggets I can’t… wait, wrong topic.
> > >
> > >
> > > I didn’t, don’t and won’t have a problem with the revelation of John’s face.
> > > It is moving his story forward. He has had much back story told in the books, even describing his features as a child, so he was truly never a faceless, hollow character.
> >
> > Exactly Armada!
> >
> > He is a man, not just a suit of armor or a robot. A man has a face.
>
> which means 343i has every right to do whatever the hell they want with campaign, right? yeppers.

Yeppers Ark, really whatever they want to do with the game as a whole.