Why should we be grateful for Spartan Ops?

Whenever I see criticism levelled at Spartan Ops, the main defence used is “It’s FREE, what are you complaining about?”

No, my friends, no. It is not free. We already paid for the first season when we bought the retail game. We did not pay for future seasons as they will be released as paid DLC (laughable, really).

Just because they’re releasing it weekly in short little episodes, it casts the illusion of being this great bonus feature for which we should be ever so grateful to 343i. Oh, and don’t forget the fact you need XBL Gold to play it.

Truth is, it’s an utterly lazy and rigid feature and a sorry replacement for Firefight, where freedom and replayability were strong (I’m talking ODST FF, not Reach’s Arcade FF).

To add insult to injury they’re now taking a mid-season break… Wow, did making the first 5 episodes really take that much effort? I expect the mid-season break is to encourage people to buy the new map pack.

You know what’s funny, though? My real motivation behind making this post is that those intelligent guys over at IGN are saying that SpOps is a boring, dull, empty feature and is not what they expected. Surely, considering SpOps is one of the 4 main features of Halo 4, this then warrants decreasing their extremely generous review score of 9.8? (p.s I wonder was their score influenced by the fact that 343 is giving them exclusive access to map walkthroughs and developer interviews? Hmmm…of course?)

Nothing a business does is free. Whenever a business gives you something for “Free” it is made up for by charging you extra somewhere else.

As BWO said above, nothing in business is free, so you’re still “paying” for Spartan Ops through the original price of the game.

However, I for one really enjoy Spartan Ops. Through the first episode, I was iffy, but now that I’m through the 5th, it feels like a great addition to the Halo universe. I still miss Firefight and really wish Spartan Ops had some sort of scoring system, but the episodes and missions are fun and tell an intriguing story.

The only downside to Spartan Ops, in my opinion, is that they reuse some of the same maps for different chapters. This is understandable though. It would be too much to ask to have a new build for every chapter, it’s not practical.

Each missions is scripted and generally brings a new dynamic to that map, even if you’ve played it in a different mission. 343 did a great job of making the missions FEEL different, even though you’re playing in the same map.

I’m always excited for a new episode now! :slight_smile:

> Nothing a business does is free. Whenever a business gives you something for “Free” it is made up for by charging you extra somewhere else.

Indeed, but why does the illusion of “free” episodes exclude SpOps from criticism? They’re not free, people!!

I don’t think anyone in their right mind would pay to play spartan ops when it’s just rehashed content. The CGI cutscenes could just be found online, so gameplay wise there is nothing there.

343i would be even more insane to think anyone would buy it.

Also mid-season break wat?

I found Firefight to be rather boring myself. I never played it for anything other than challenges. As I recall it barely even worked in Reach, horrible lag when playing with others. I’ll take more story any day, even if it is just a few short missions.

NOBODY LIKES Spartans ops! Everyone plays it because of the amount of XP your getting to boost your rank up. The Story is horrible in every way, with stupid and lame -Yoink- humor put on to it. Most games are laggy as ****. And there is a Covenant terrorist i mean WHAT!? Why they couldn’t they just put both in it Firefight AND Spartan ops. Oh yeah CRIMSON do this CRIMSON Do that CRIMSON CRIMSON CRIMSON CRIMSON CRIMSON ehmmmmmm CRIMSON!!?

I like it, so your comment is wrong. What’s your problem with the thought of covenant terrorists?

> NOBODY LIKES Spartans ops! Everyone plays it because of the amount of XP your getting to boost your rank up. The Story is horrible in every way, with stupid and lame -Yoink!- humor put on to it. Most games are laggy as ****. And there is a Covenant terrorist i mean WHAT!? Why they couldn’t they just put both in it Firefight AND Spartan ops. Oh yeah CRIMSON do this CRIMSON Do that CRIMSON CRIMSON CRIMSON CRIMSON CRIMSON ehmmmmmm CRIMSON!!?

I think you need to lay off the crack a bit, buddy.

Spartan OPs is a worthy replacement for Firefight. Nuff said. Its a great addition to Halo, I actually enjoy it more then I did firefight because it has a narrative and uses objective.

> I found Firefight to be rather boring myself. I never played it for anything other than challenges. As I recall it barely even worked in Reach, horrible lag when playing with others. I’ll take more story any day, even if it is just a few short missions.

While your opinion is your own, I have to ask some questions as I’m curious about the answer.

What is it about SpOps that you prefer over ODST Firefight?

Firefight was about survival, seeing how long you could go, racking up a high score. That’s where the replayability came from. Couch co-op in ODST Firefight was great fun. It gets so tense during the later waves after your lives have dwindled and you’re facing off against Hunters where death will result in Game Over. Not to mention you could include skulls and tweak and customize the waves and the rules of firefight if you pleased.

SpOps consists of linear 10 minute missions that will never change. You have unlimited lives. Die? No problem. It encourages rushing into battle without a plan because there’s no real consequence. Power Weapons/Vehicles are in plentiful supply. If your Mantis is destroyed it respawns immediately. There is no real link between the cutscenes and your missions. Your customized Spartan does not feature in any cutscenes. Your task in SpOps is often as simple and dull as killing all the enemies in a small area. Yes, this was the same premise used for Firefight but the difference is there was a heavy emphasis on survival in ODST FF and Reach’s FF Limited.

> Spartan OPs is a worthy replacement for Firefight. Nuff said. Its a great addition to Halo, I actually enjoy it more then I did firefight because it has a narrative and uses objective.

So you can’t see the shallowness of it?

Firefight was a survival mode and the objective was achieving a high-score. Therefore it had replayability.

Can you tell me what is replayable about killing all enemies in a small area for 10 minutes just to get evac?

Just curious, will you buy future seasons when they are released as paid DLC?

> NOBODY LIKES Spartans ops! Everyone plays it because of the amount of XP your getting to boost your rank up. The Story is horrible in every way, with stupid and lame -Yoink!- humor put on to it. Most games are laggy as ****. And there is a Covenant terrorist i mean WHAT!? Why they couldn’t they just put both in it Firefight AND Spartan ops. Oh yeah CRIMSON do this CRIMSON Do that CRIMSON CRIMSON CRIMSON CRIMSON CRIMSON ehmmmmmm CRIMSON!!?

Sorry but i like spartan ops, and there are people who do like it. So saying nobody likes it is bit one sided.

> > Spartan OPs is a worthy replacement for Firefight. Nuff said. Its a great addition to Halo, I actually enjoy it more then I did firefight because it has a narrative and uses objective.
>
> So you can’t see the shallowness of it?
>
> Firefight was a survival mode and the objective was achieving a high-score. Therefore it had replayability.
>
> Can you tell me what is replayable about killing all enemies in a small area for 10 minutes just to get evac?
>
> Just curious, will you buy future seasons when they are released as paid DLC?

I prefer to waste money on SO then FF, FF was to boring for me.

I miss Limited Firefight. I miss how the Ai were distinct and had character. I miss saying oh crap here comes the Ultras because in Limited they would hand your armored rear if you didn’t get to a choke point or had managed to find a power weapon. Spartan Ops needs someone to shower the Ai with some love, purpose, and character.

Seeing how future episodes aren’t free, I consider that kind of -Yoink-, but idk. I really only just watch the videos for the story. I play for the achievements.

> I prefer to waste money on SO then FF, FF was to boring for me.

You didn’t have to pay for FF lol

> > I prefer to waste money on SO then FF, FF was to boring for me.
>
> You didn’t have to pay for FF lol

Yea i did, when i bought reach :stuck_out_tongue:

> Yea i did, when i bought reach :stuck_out_tongue:

Your original response was in reference to paying for future seasons of SO. You said you would prefer to pay for SO than FF. You didn’t have to pay extra to get all of FF. It was a standalone, finished mode right there on the disc.

Yea but I like SO enough to pay for more, but i also only play solo. I also stay out of MP threads and talks because I prefer solo and story gaming.