Why Regicide doesn't work as an intro to FFA.

So I just watched the Game Informer video on Halo 4’s MP changes and something is really bothering me.

He said that having a King of the match will help new players get into FFA easier. What? No. No. No. NO! That is not how it works. Halo’s FFA has always worked in a certain way.

• All players start off with the same weapon set
  • All players have the same base traits
  • All players must rush the power weapons and powerups to get a good head start
  • All players have access to the same (armor) abilities
  • Equality is key

What this mode suggests is everyone gets locked in against a Juggernaut who is worth more points but your fellow underlings are worth points too. This mode sounds like Juggernaut, King of the Hill, and Headhunter combined. You want to introduce new players to this?! This is not how a traditional introduction to FFA should ever be approached. Him saying something like that worries me a little.

While Regicide sounds like it could be fun, it doesn’t sound new-user-friendly. I may enjoy it but damn, they’re really muddling things up now. Invasion is a complicated gametype and yet it’s so simple. Hold your ground twice (or arm a bomb in Phase 2), and then capture a high value target. You also have new spawning systems, phase-locked weapons and vehicles, and objective reset timers. Simple, yet complex.

Regicide wants you to vie for a position among the common rabble while still trying to team up against a single stronger opponent, and then fight to become that stronger opponent. This promotes betrayal and treachery while fighting for a form of ultimate power. I can easily see someone creating a custom variant named “A Game of Thrones” or “Thrones Game”. What about your custom loadouts? Are there forced abilities and weapons or are the wild cards allowed to roam free as they please, bringing great unbalance?

Anyone else’s thoughts on the matter?

Its not replacing FFA, you have not played it yet.

Never mind. You saw the double post. :smiley:

> Anyone else’s thoughts on the matter?

If you make something really unapproachable, you aren’t going to get a lot of people to play, and when the interest of the players who do play it dies and they leave, you just “die” that much sooner.

> Its not replacing FFA, you have not played it yet.

I never said I thought it was. As an introduction to FFA, as implied by Brad Welch, the idea of Regicide isn’t a wise choice. Standard FFA, sure. Regicide is far too complicated for a brand new player. That’s what I’m trying to say. I also question the balancing of it and then again, I don’t work at 343i so I don’t know how they’re handling it.

> Never mind. You saw the double post. :smiley:

Yeah…I meant to edit the title but had hit post too soon.

Hey bro, can I borrow your time machine when you’re done playing Halo 4? I have a plan to take out -Yoink!- before he even came to power.

I would love to have a time machine…sigh

Y’know, stupid remarks like that don’t contribute to discussion. The whole point of this topic is to post your personal views on something like Regicide being an introduction to FFA as a whole. My stated point is that introducing new players to a simple concept by providing an overly complicated, muddled up combination of concepts isn’t the way to do it.

This entire topic is based upon one sentence uttered by a developer in an interview.

> - All players start off with the same weapon set
> - All players have the same base traits
> - All players must rush the power weapons and powerups to get a good head start
>
> - Equality is key

yes

> - All players have access to the same (armor) abilities

No. No. No. No!

worry wort…

A crazy variant of FFA is a good way to introduce new players to FFA because… what? This makes no sense.

> Hey bro, can I borrow your time machine when you’re done playing Halo 4? I have a plan to take out -Yoink!- before he even came to power.

Don’t do it! If the Nazis never came to power, Russia would’ve been much more powerful, a poor Germany would have possibly had nukes unless the same German scientists that fled to the U.S. were captured by Stalin, and we’d either be speaking Russian or dead from nuclear war. As terrible as WWII and the -Yoink!- were (please don’t peg me as an anti-Semite because I’m not), it could be worse. Just sayin’.

Oh, there’s an actual topic? :3

Regicide actually sounds fun. It sounds like Headhunter, but without the annoying tendency to get killed while staring at the ground while trying to desperately find skulls. I like how you would still get kills for killing other players, but there’s one player who is potentially worth so much more.

I do agree that something like this would be a little too much for players new to Halo or FPS games in general, but I am HYPED for this gametype.

In short: Regicide sounds like a cool gametype, it’s not for newbs, and DON’T KILL -Yoink!-.

Regicide is just a bad idea to begin with.

I mean really, it’s just like Juggernaut but without the powerups. Everyone’s going to swarm the “king” and ignore everyone else.

How they didn’t see that is beyond me.

> Regicide is just a bad idea to begin with.
>
> I mean really, it’s just like Juggernaut but without the powerups. Everyone’s going to swarm the “king” and ignore everyone else.
>
> How they didn’t see that is beyond me.

Through play testing that’s how, also you score points by killing anyone, you just get more when you kill the King. Only when your near the King would you concentrate your fire power on him/her, other than that you’ll be shooting up everyone else.

> > - All players start off with the same weapon set
> > - All players have the same base traits
> > - All players must rush the power weapons and powerups to get a good head start
> >
> > - Equality is key
>
> yes
>
>
>
> > - All players have access to the same (armor) abilities
>
> No. No. No. No!

Armor Abilities such as Sprint. As in the built-in ability.

> > Regicide is just a bad idea to begin with.
> >
> > I mean really, it’s just like Juggernaut but without the powerups. Everyone’s going to swarm the “king” and ignore everyone else.
> >
> > How they didn’t see that is beyond me.
>
> Through play testing that’s how, also you score points by killing anyone, you just get more when you kill the King. Only when your near the King would you concentrate your fire power on him/her, other than that you’ll be shooting up everyone else.

You forget that people are total idiots.

Everyone’s going to go for the guy with the waypoint on his head because he’s worth more points, even if they could kill other people and probably get more. It’ll just end up being a total -Yoink- around one area because everyone’s just throwing themselves at the King.

> > > Regicide is just a bad idea to begin with.
> > >
> > > I mean really, it’s just like Juggernaut but without the powerups. Everyone’s going to swarm the “king” and ignore everyone else.
> > >
> > > How they didn’t see that is beyond me.
> >
> > Through play testing that’s how, also you score points by killing anyone, you just get more when you kill the King. Only when your near the King would you concentrate your fire power on him/her, other than that you’ll be shooting up everyone else.
>
> You forget that people are total idiots.
>
> Everyone’s going to go for the guy with the waypoint on his head because he’s worth more points, even if they could kill other people and probably get more. It’ll just end up being a total -Yoink!- around one area because everyone’s just throwing themselves at the King.

I see what you are saying but, I’ve played enough KoTH and oddball in Halo 3 Rumble Pit and Lone Wolves (kinda ignored FFA in Reach) to know that most people attack anyone they see instead of actually killing the guy in the lead with the ball or in the hill.

Besides, the “bounty” for killing the king may end up just being spartan points and only add 1 kill to your total score in the actual game.