why reach failed and what halo 4 needs.

I know that a lot of you are going to disagree with me here and say that Reach, regardless of the new additions, was a good game. I understand that, I want to say that Reach is fun too. I’ve been playing Halo over 2/3 of my life. I will never forget that Christmas in 2004 when I got Halo 2. I was so excited and I would never trade those years on Halo 2 XBL for anything in the world.

I know that Bungie noticed this and I’m SURE 343i noticed this but I feel like I need to bring it up. The numbers in Reach compared to any of the other Halo games are horrible. There is only a maximum of 50k people on Reach at any given time. I remember in Halo 3, there would be 50k in Team Slayer alone and don’t even get me started on the Halo 2 numbers. Something in the game is driving people from wanting to play this game and I know you have already heard of these before but please just hear me out.

1. Lazy Map Design
    -None of you can deny this, Bungie got extremely lazy with the map design in Reach and just threw us rehashed maps from the other game. Now, sometimes this can be a good thing (Beaver Creek in Halo 2, Warlock in Halo 2, Breakneck in Halo: Reach) but most of the time, it is just a failure (Asylum in Halo: Reach, Blackout in Halo 3, Desolation in Halo 2, Tombstone in Halo 2). Bungie just gave us HORRIBLE stock maps and expected us to make the maps we wanted in Forge and in my eyes, that is lazy. I don’t want to make maps, I understand that some of you LOVE forge and I think it’s a great addition, but the stock maps should be playable.

2. Bloom w/ a 1 shot weapon
    -I don’t think any weapon is more famous from the Halo series than the Battle Rifle. Now, I understand that they couldn’t put it into this game because of continuity issues with the storyline, which is fine. This drove about all my friends away from the Halo series completely. They were already fedup with the Halo 3, no hit scan crap, and then they get on Reach, hoping for the Halo 2 hitscan weapon but they made it EVEN WORSE. No one asked for this… Shadowrun failed for a reason. Halo 4 NEEDS the BR with hitscan, it NEEDSSSS ITTTTTTT.

3. Armor Abilities
    -Halo succeeded because of it’s core game was simple yet the metagame is hard. There is so much underneath the top layer of Halo that makes you a better player. That is where the skillgap comes in, when a player that just gets on Halo, he should not be able to lay a finger on a veteran but in the past 2 Halos, they have. Those armor abilities kill the metagame and -Yoink- all over what we have grown to love. Sprinting allows a player to not be punished for making a bad in-game decision. When you rush in Halo against a team, you should die but with sprint, it allows you to rush and rush back with no backlash.

4. No Ranking System
    -This is probably the main reason, alongside bloom, that Halo Reach didn’t work. I understand that there is that TrueSkill garbage but that doesn’t work either. I straight run train in every playlist that I play in (not saying I’m like the best but I’m above average) and it gets really, really boring. I know, I KNOW, that it is not fun for below average players to get pwned every single game that they play. There needs to be a 1-50 leveling system and it needs to be like Halo 2. A 50 in Halo 3 was WAY too easy. Games where the people are on the same skill level are the most fun games in the world. Close games where your teamwork matters is what Halo is all about!

-I think that the leveling up to get new armor thing was actually a really good idea but that does get really dumb as you get up to the high levels. I think you should keep this in but PLEASE ADD THE RANKING SYSTEM.

I’m sure that a lot of you will disagree with me my points and reasoning but it’s true guys. We don’t need all this farfetch stuff that people are suggesting. We need,

-Good map design
-BR
-Hitscan
-Good Ranking System

I highly doubt a BR is ever going to make an appearance to a Forerunner planet…Besides, the gun was getting old and over reduntant anyways

> I highly doubt a BR is ever going to make an appearance to a Forerunner planet…Besides, the gun was getting old and over reduntant anyways

…so are the guns in Call of Duty but kids still eat that game up like hotcakes. It was the perfect primary weapon and everyone loved it.

I’m just scared this game is going to be so -Yoinking!- farfetch, it’s going to be unplayable. Phaser guns with force armor abilities. That’s not what I -Yoinking!- play Halo for.

Chief could call home and get marines to come to the planet and bring the BR AND -Yoink- UP ALL THE BISHES.

> > I highly doubt a BR is ever going to make an appearance to a Forerunner planet…Besides, the gun was getting old and over reduntant anyways
>
> …so are the guns in Call of Duty but kids still eat that game up like hotcakes. It was the perfect primary weapon and everyone loved it.
>
> I’m just scared this game is going to be so Yoink! farfetch, it’s going to be unplayable. Phaser guns with force armor abilities. That’s not what I Yoink! play Halo for.
>
> Chief could call home and get marines to come to the planet and bring the BR AND Yoink! UP ALL THE BISHES.

I am pretty sure there are much more important weapons than the BR anywys, Halo 4 would definetly bring in new type of guns and other mre important materials. I pay money to play Halo 4 not a damn copy of Halo 2 or 3

I think the reason why Reach failed is a relatively abstract one. Not to drift too far away from your topic, but…

By itself, standing on its own, Reach is a great FPS. It has plenty of maps by now, a firefight system, relatively diverse weapon sandboxes, and forge.

The reason Reach failed was because everyone compared it to Halo 3. Bloom or armor abilities are theoretically good ideas for an FPS. But they weren’t good ideas for Halo.

Halo Reach is a great game by itself, but compared to past Halo games, it pales in comparison. It’s both a blessing and a curse upon 343i to have inherited such an outstanding reputation. As a result, it’s much more difficult to make a successful Halo game than a successful FPS game.

The problem with Reach is that it’s a Halo game. Just think about it like this: do you think Reach players have higher expectations for Halo 4 than BLOPS players had for MW3?

> I think the reason why Reach failed is a relatively abstract one. Not to drift too far away from your topic, but…
>
> By itself, standing on its own, Reach is a great FPS. It has plenty of maps by now, a firefight system, relatively diverse weapon sandboxes, and forge.
>
> The reason Reach failed was because everyone compared it to Halo 3. Bloom or armor abilities are theoretically good ideas for an FPS. But they weren’t good ideas for Halo.
>
> Halo Reach is a great game by itself, but compared to past Halo games, it pales in comparison. It’s both a blessing and a curse upon 343i to have inherited such an outstanding reputation. As a result, it’s much more difficult to make a successful Halo game than a successful FPS game.
>
> The problem with Reach is that it’s a Halo game. Just think about it like this: do you think Reach players have higher expectations for Halo 4 than BLOPS players had for MW3?

^ this I can agree with alot

> I think the reason why Reach failed is a relatively abstract one. Not to drift too far away from your topic, but…
>
> By itself, standing on its own, Reach is a great FPS. It has plenty of maps by now, a firefight system, relatively diverse weapon sandboxes, and forge.
>
> The reason Reach failed was because everyone compared it to Halo 3. Bloom or armor abilities are theoretically good ideas for an FPS. But they weren’t good ideas for Halo.
>
> Halo Reach is a great game by itself, but compared to past Halo games, it pales in comparison. It’s both a blessing and a curse upon 343i to have inherited such an outstanding reputation. As a result, it’s much more difficult to make a successful Halo game than a successful FPS game.
>
> The problem with Reach is that it’s a Halo game. Just think about it like this: do you think Reach players have higher expectations for Halo 4 than BLOPS players had for MW3?

I honestly think the hardest part of making a Halo game would be satisfying the Single Player buffs. The multiplayer portion has basically made itself over the years. We all want a game that can create memories. The only memory I have from Halo: Reach is wanting to break my disc and the voices of my friends getting pissed off.

Halo multiplayer needs the BR, hitscan, good maps & a ranking system. The rest will make itself man. You just need a good core game with some customization like adding in the forge and theater and stuff.

I really think Bungie made Halo Reach and it was perfect and just started adding random -Yoink- to a hat and pulled it out and used it. I don’t even know where the idea of Bloom and Armor Abilities came from because -Yoink-, they were bad ideas for a Halo game.