Why "Random" Weapon Spawns Can be Good.

Before I go on with the rest of my reasoning I want to thank L1NETT for posting this video in another thread. 59:00 is where you’ll want to start if you want to get right to the point.

First of all I’m not the most competitive player ever. Will I say that I’m kind of competitive? Yes . . . in a way. Why does this matter? It doesn’t I’m just giving you kind of a background and I’m trying to relate to some other players.

If you watch the video they’ll explain why they think “random” weapon drops will be good for Halo 4, and they did great. However I still feel that they missed something. Before I continue here is some known info about the “random weapon drops” quoted from other members (who I did not have to good fortune to remember in order to thank them).

• Initial PW (Power Weapon) spawns will be like vanilla halo, they begin on the map.

• The “random” weapon drops aren’t so random. The drop locations are, the weapons are not (at least that’s what this member indicated).

• You’ll have a timer and indicator of the drop.

Now let’s put this all together. Initial spawns will be like Classic Halo. Therefore the beginning will be an all out rush for the PW. Now what most players are complaining about is that the weapons will not spawn there again . . . the drops will become random and because of this memorizing weapon spawn times and locations are useless. That might be true but the inclusion of random spawns -Yoink!- another heavy part of gameplay: Map Movement.

If you’ve ever seen the “Hot Spots” tags on B.net than you know that every map has a “hot zone” where most of the action takes place. More often than not this action occurs around PW spawns. A map will have a large and usually heavy red blotch where this action takes place and all the action around it is either blue, yellow, or untouched. That’s a problem and that indicates that the entirety of a map isn’t being used . . . that’s a complete waste.

With the inclusion of random weapon spawns the action will be more spread out and players will move around the map more. This fixes PW camping and most camping in general. When players are moving around the map more often the gameplay will flow better and the matches will generally be quicker and more action packed (which is good!).

One of the other arguments against this system is that the spawn location might favor one team over another. Well . . . that can depend. It can depend on a few things, but mainly the size of the map and the amount of time that players are notified of a weapon drop before it drops. Think about this . . . let’s say a new map called Imaginary Map 1 is a small size and whenever a weapon drops players receive a ten second notice. All the players in the game will flock to this location (if the weapon is good enough). By the time the weapon drops each team will be fighting over it because of the notification and the “luck” factor basically dies.

Now here is a bad situation, let’s say Imaginary Map 2 is a medium sized map, but whenever a weapon is about to be dropped, players only receive a three second notice before the weapon drops. This will most likely favor one team because of the lack of notice and the luck factor rises. However, if drop notice times are customized for the size of each map than this new feature will cause more good than harm.

BOOM. Halo 4 is a fun, action packed game. The only other problem players could think of is how the weapons that spawn will be random but 343i has indicated that they won’t be as random as we think (again, praying that the user I stole this info from is correct . . . I haven’t heard any of the Sparkasts).

Thank you for your time ~ SuRroundeD By 1

The weapon spawns aren’t really “Random” but I appretiate the sentiment.

I’d actually advise people to start calling it “Ordinace.”

Still, it’ll always favor one team. If it was in a sequential drop pattern, and I suspect is, then it’s significantly better, but you can’t say that there’s no imbalance.

One team could always get more weapon drops than the other based on the time that a game takes to finish.

> Still, it’ll always favor one team. If it was in a sequential drop pattern, and I suspect is, then it’s significantly better, but you can’t say that there’s no imbalance.
>
> One team could always get more weapon drops than the other based on the time that a game takes to finish.

Hypothetically this is true. But (also hypothetically) if players are warned of a weapon drop early enough for players to fight over the drop location I don’t think that they could possibly favor one team since both sides would be fighting over the drop zone. We can’t blame respawns anymore either since their instant.

TL:DR Weapon spawns aren’t completely random. Podcast already explained.

> Hypothetically this is true. But (also hypothetically) if players are warned of a weapon drop early enough for players to fight over the drop location I don’t think that they could possibly favor one team since both sides would be fighting over the drop zone. We can’t blame respawns anymore either since their instant.

the warning time is about 3 seconds (or so I heard) so it shouldn’t be a problem.

> Still, it’ll always favor one team. If it was in a sequential drop pattern, and I suspect is, then it’s significantly better, but you can’t say that there’s no imbalance.
>
> One team could always get more weapon drops than the other based on the time that a game takes to finish.

Hopefully there will be simultaneous weapon drops. For example, if it was in Reach both sides of Asylum would get sniper/shotgun drops at the same time.

> > Hypothetically this is true. But (also hypothetically) if players are warned of a weapon drop early enough for players to fight over the drop location I don’t think that they could possibly favor one team since both sides would be fighting over the drop zone. We can’t blame respawns anymore either since their instant.
>
> the warning time is about 3 seconds (or so I heard) so it shouldn’t be a problem.

3 seconds? Is 343 serious? How is 3 seconds sufficient to let a team on the other side of the map know that a weapon is coming up?

I was expecting 10 seconds at the bare least.

> TL:DR Weapon spawns aren’t completely random. Podcast already explained.

Yes but I brought up more than that too.

> > Hypothetically this is true. But (also hypothetically) if players are warned of a weapon drop early enough for players to fight over the drop location I don’t think that they could possibly favor one team since both sides would be fighting over the drop zone. We can’t blame respawns anymore either since their instant.
>
> the warning time is about 3 seconds (or so I heard) so it shouldn’t be a problem.

Hmm . . . kind of worried that might not be enough time . . . I’d prefer at least ten seconds.

EDIT: Haha just noticed that my post is almost an exact copy of the above.

Players are ofcourse only going to be fighting for power weapons for a very very short amount of time and then they will go back to regularly playing however aware of who has the power weapon bearing in mind many maps have power weps at each side (red side and blue side).

Also how do drop pods change anything and make things better, unless they are dropped dead centre of the map one team will have the advantage of getting that weapon as when they die they will spawn closer. Also, assuming if a particular instance of a drop pod was dropped dead centre, people are still going to be fighting over it just as they would be fighting over lets say rocket launcher on the pit (pit stop) halo 3 map so how do drop pods affect gameplay at all in this scenario.

Also what if a drop pod is dropping right next to 3 players on one team, this gives them time to set up, making it very difficult for the other team to get close, u have to realise the words random and luck are seriously frowned upon in the competitive area of halo and a 10 second warning time does not get rid of the luck factor, not even close and from what i read it doesnt seem like u have watched any mlg players play or played at a high level of halo (not including reach as dis game is terrible) mlg players dnt just sit there and camp power weps all game, they may sit there and camp the area for 10 seconds be4 it spawns maybe longer, sumtimes maybe shorter, players do navigate to most areas on the map if we consider mlg maps if we consider lets say last resort which is still a solid map in my opinion so what if the beach where the vehicles spawn is bearly used, the game still plays well and the rest of the map is used anyway and it works (bear in mind ppl do not go beach just becus theres no power weps there and power weps elsewhere