Why put CSR in a noncompetitive game?

I think the title is pretty self-explanatory. Now that I actually think about it the CSR isn’t even in the game. It is just 343’s more generic version of Halotracker.com.

Placing a real ranking system(or website app) in a game that has the following traits really doesn’t make any sense:

• Massive amounts of aim assist
  • Massive amounts of bullet magnetism
  • Unbalanced starts because of loadouts
  • Unbalanced and luck-based winning because of ordnance
  • Unbalanced playing field because of perk system
  • No party matching system resulting in uneven matches
  • Being able to spawn with the noob combo
  • Instant respawn(being able to be killed by a just defeated opponent)
  • Lack of map control because of random weapon placement(luck-based)
  • Lack of map control because of dynamic spawning system(luck-based)

At the GDC panel 343 openly admitted that Halo 4 was targeted and designed for people who are bad at Halo. So if you obtain a 50 in a game that was designed for people that don’t understand Halo, in the end what does it really mean?

There is a skill gap. It’s minuscule, but it’s there.

I don’t really have high expectations for CSR right now, you know, since it’s not actually in the game. I’m hoping it reintroduces some kind of element of competition back to Halo.

Wouldn’t surprise me if you were one of the (many, many) people demanding CSR up until a couple of days ago.

Why did they put it in? perhaps because everyone was demanding it. They just can’t win can they.

Not all play-list’s are completely non competitive though. I agree with you equal starts should make a return and Ordinance needs a lot of work if they want it to stay (NO POWER WEAPONS IN ORDINANCE). They can change all of that but they’ve been so apprehensive. They have added the back end tuning but have applied no changes after like 3 weeks.

> Wouldn’t surprise me if you were one of the (many, many) people demanding CSR up until a couple of days ago.
>
> Why did they put it in? perhaps because everyone was demanding it. They just can’t win can they.

Nope, and I like how the OP twisted the comments of 343i to suit his agenda…

“At the GDC panel 343 openly admitted that Halo 4 was targeted and designed for people who are bad at Halo. So if you obtain a 50 in a game that was designed for people that don’t understand Halo, in the end what does it really mean?”

Come on now…

> Wouldn’t surprise me if you were one of the (many, many) people demanding CSR up until a couple of days ago.
>
> Why did they put it in? perhaps because <mark>everyone was demanding it</mark>. They just can’t win can they.

I wouldn’t really call a bunch of forum posters “everyone”.

> > Wouldn’t surprise me if you were one of the (many, many) people demanding CSR up until a couple of days ago.
> >
> > Why did they put it in? perhaps because everyone was demanding it. They just can’t win can they.
>
> Nope, and I like how the OP twisted the comments of 343i to suit his agenda…
>
> “At the GDC panel 343 openly admitted that Halo 4 was targeted and designed for people who are bad at Halo. So if you obtain a 50 in a game that was designed for people that don’t understand Halo, in the end what does it really mean?”
>
> Come on now…

haha I almost updated my post to say the very same thing.

joker.

>
> Why did they put it in? perhaps because everyone was demanding it. They just can’t win can they.

Those asking for ranks(including me), never asked for such thing as only view-able through waypoint.

> > Wouldn’t surprise me if you were one of the (many, many) people demanding CSR up until a couple of days ago.
> >
> > Why did they put it in? perhaps because <mark>everyone was demanding it</mark>. They just can’t win can they.
>
> I wouldn’t really call a bunch of forum posters everyone.

OK let me clarify.
When I say everyone,
I do not mean the 7 billion people on this planet.
Nor do I mean everyone who owns an Xbox.
Nor do i mean everyone who owns Halo 4.
Nor do I mean everyone on this forum.
I do mean a large number of people who post on this forum though.

> >
> > Why did they put it in? perhaps because everyone was demanding it. They just can’t win can they.
>
>
> “At the GDC panel 343 openly admitted that Halo 4 was targeted and designed for people who are bad at Halo. So if you obtain a 50 in a game that was designed for people that don’t understand Halo, in the end what does it really mean?”
>
> Come on now…

That picture that they’ve shown, pretty much supports OP’s claim.

> >
>
> Those asking for ranks(including me), never asked for such thing as only view-able through waypoint.

That is true. But they did warn you before the game was released that there would not be a visible CSR in game.

jesus christ too many comment to quote. at posted above me that picture of a disabled spartan in no way backs up what the OP said.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> >
>
>
>
> Come on now…

Would you prefer that I said 343 admitted to targeting the gameplay style to grant new players success and then posted a picture of a crippled spartan? It is pretty much the same thing. New players aren’t usually skilled players - IE = the same thing, not much twisting if you ask me.

It seems 343 is contradicting themselves by adding any type of ranking system at all.

> > > Wouldn’t surprise me if you were one of the (many, many) people demanding CSR up until a couple of days ago.
> > >
> > > Why did they put it in? perhaps because everyone was demanding it. They just can’t win can they.
> >
> > Nope, and I like how the OP twisted the comments of 343i to suit his agenda…
> >
> > “At the GDC panel 343 openly admitted that Halo 4 was targeted and designed for people who are bad at Halo. So if you obtain a 50 in a game that was designed for people that don’t understand Halo, in the end what does it really mean?”
> >
> > Come on now…
>
> That picture that they’ve shown, pretty much supports OP’s claim.

Are you gonna post the apology that proceeded that picture also?

You know, just to be fair and all…

> Would you prefer that I said 343 admitted to targeting the gameplay style to grant new players success and then posted a picture of a crippled spartan?

Yes. That is what I would rather you had said.

And then as the poster above says, you could then have linked the picture, and quoted the subsequent apology…

> > > > Wouldn’t surprise me if you were one of the (many, many) people demanding CSR up until a couple of days ago.
> > > >
> > > > Why did they put it in? perhaps because everyone was demanding it. They just can’t win can they.
> > >
> > > Nope, and I like how the OP twisted the comments of 343i to suit his agenda…
> > >
> > > “At the GDC panel 343 openly admitted that Halo 4 was targeted and designed for people who are bad at Halo. So if you obtain a 50 in a game that was designed for people that don’t understand Halo, in the end what does it really mean?”
> > >
> > > Come on now…
> >
> > That picture that they’ve shown, pretty much supports OP’s claim.
>
> Are you gonna post the apology that proceeded that picture also?
>
> You know, just to be fair and all…

I’m not trying to be biased.

Ya know Pokemon has a leader board, as does Portal, and Audiosurf all have leader boards.

People like comparing each other no matter what the game.

You have some good points OP but I still think there is a significant skill gap. I’ve played with people who are much worse than me as well as people who are better. I do agree that a lot of the game is luck based though. Adding CSR is just 343’s attempt to please the competitive community. Hopefully the competitive community and old Halo fans will be remembered more in Halo 5.

Because people like comparing themselves to other people? It’s human nature, dude.

Even Pokémon has leaderboards. So does Portal 2, hell Call of Duty has a ranked playlists with 5 times as many players as Halo 4 has population.

People like the idea of being better than other people.

Because CSR is a non-competitive ranking system, it’s just for team-based win streak gameplay. . .nothing more.

> - Massive amounts of aim assist
> - Massive amounts of bullet magnetism
> - Unbalanced starts because of loadouts
> - Unbalanced and luck-based winning because of ordnance
> - No party matching system resulting in uneven matches
> - Being able to spawn with the noob combo
> - Instant respawn(being able to be killed by a just defeated opponent)
> - Lack of map control because of random weapon placement(luck-based)
> - Lack of map control because of dynamic spawning system(luck-based)

dont forget sprint for allowing to run away even if being outplayed and giving players a much larger rom for error if they are misplaced around the map and AAs for creating a cheap and gimmicky playstle