Why not just replace bloom with spray patterns?

People’s problem with bloom is It’s random bullet spread and that it encourages spam instead of precise shots. So why not just add spray patterns? Spray patterns:

• Removes the RNG element
  • Allow low skill players to still spam and land shots
  • Allows high skill players to fire at max rof while maintaining accuracy

It’s basically bloom but controllable. It adds a skill gap that people want while still maintaining the balancing ideas of bloom.

> 2533274872218024;1:
> People’s problem with bloom is It’s random bullet spread and that it encourages spam instead of precise shots. So why not just add spray patterns? Spray patterns:
>
> * Removes the RNG element
> * Allow low skill players to still spam and land shots
> * Allows high skill players to fire at max rof while maintaining accuracy
>
> It’s basically bloom but controllable. It adds a skill gap that people want while still maintaining the balancing ideas of bloom.

There’s already a game that does this, it’s called Rust, and it’s available right now actually.

Giving Halo the aim-style or recoil style of Rust would not only make the game… Rust… but would literally make it no longer a Halo game. This idea is just awful.

It’s also hilarious that you don’t want to encourage “spam” (another word for spraying) but you want “spray patterns” for… spraying…

You can’t make this stuff up

> 2535410017197749;2:
> > 2533274872218024;1:
> > People’s problem with bloom is It’s random bullet spread and that it encourages spam instead of precise shots. So why not just add spray patterns? Spray patterns:
> >
> > * Removes the RNG element
> > * Allow low skill players to still spam and land shots
> > * Allows high skill players to fire at max rof while maintaining accuracy
> >
> > It’s basically bloom but controllable. It adds a skill gap that people want while still maintaining the balancing ideas of bloom.
>
> There’s already a game that does this, it’s called Rust, and it’s available right now actually.
>
> Giving Halo the aim-style or recoil style of Rust would not only make the game… Rust… but would literally make it no longer a Halo game. This idea is just awful.
>
> It’s also hilarious that you don’t want to encourage “spam” (another word for spraying) but you want “spray patterns” for… spraying…
>
> You can’t make this stuff up

No I don’t think that’s how that works. By that logic Rust is actually Counterstrike since CS did spray patterns before Rust.

Also spam and spray are not inherently the same thing. A spray pattern is a set deviation. You actually have to learn spray patterns and adjust your aim accordingly to maximize efficiency. Not just spam over a person. Learning spray patterns is a skill gap as opposed to now where it’s just RNG at a lot of time.

> 2533274872218024;3:
> > 2535410017197749;2:
> > > 2533274872218024;1:
> > > People’s problem with bloom is It’s random bullet spread and that it encourages spam instead of precise shots. So why not just add spray patterns? Spray patterns:
> > >
> > > * Removes the RNG element
> > > * Allow low skill players to still spam and land shots
> > > * Allows high skill players to fire at max rof while maintaining accuracy
> > >
> > > It’s basically bloom but controllable. It adds a skill gap that people want while still maintaining the balancing ideas of bloom.
> >
> > There’s already a game that does this, it’s called Rust, and it’s available right now actually.
> >
> > Giving Halo the aim-style or recoil style of Rust would not only make the game… Rust… but would literally make it no longer a Halo game. This idea is just awful.
> >
> > It’s also hilarious that you don’t want to encourage “spam” (another word for spraying) but you want “spray patterns” for… spraying…
> >
> > You can’t make this stuff up
>
> No I don’t think that’s how that works. By that logic Rust is actually Counterstrike since CS did spray patterns before Rust.
>
> Also spam and spray are not inherently the same thing. A spray pattern is a set deviation. You actually have to learn spray patterns and adjust your aim accordingly to maximize efficiency. Not just spam over a person. Learning spray patterns is a skill gap as opposed to now where it’s just RNG at a lot of time.

Spraying a weapon= spamming bullets.

If you think pvp in Halo is RNG based, I honestly don’t know what to tell you lmfao

> 2535410017197749;4:
> > 2533274872218024;3:
> > > 2535410017197749;2:
> > > > 2533274872218024;1:
> > > > People’s problem with bloom is It’s random bullet spread and that it encourages spam instead of precise shots. So why not just add spray patterns? Spray patterns:
> > > >
> > > > * Removes the RNG element
> > > > * Allow low skill players to still spam and land shots
> > > > * Allows high skill players to fire at max rof while maintaining accuracy
> > > >
> > > > It’s basically bloom but controllable. It adds a skill gap that people want while still maintaining the balancing ideas of bloom.
> > >
> > > There’s already a game that does this, it’s called Rust, and it’s available right now actually.
> > >
> > > Giving Halo the aim-style or recoil style of Rust would not only make the game… Rust… but would literally make it no longer a Halo game. This idea is just awful.
> > >
> > > It’s also hilarious that you don’t want to encourage “spam” (another word for spraying) but you want “spray patterns” for… spraying…
> > >
> > > You can’t make this stuff up
> >
> > No I don’t think that’s how that works. By that logic Rust is actually Counterstrike since CS did spray patterns before Rust.
> >
> > Also spam and spray are not inherently the same thing. A spray pattern is a set deviation. You actually have to learn spray patterns and adjust your aim accordingly to maximize efficiency. Not just spam over a person. Learning spray patterns is a skill gap as opposed to now where it’s just RNG at a lot of time.
>
> Spraying a weapon= spamming bullets.
>
> If you think pvp in Halo is RNG based, I honestly don’t know what to tell you lmfao

Spray patterns are a pretty basic concept to understand, and bloom deviation is RNG. Don’t know why you’d lie about that? I merely suggested a solution to a community pain point, by suggesting something that keeps 343s balance design while also creating a much wanted skill gap. I clearly struck a weird nerve with you, sorry this set you off.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.</mark>

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> > > > > People’s problem with bloom is It’s random bullet spread and that it encourages spam instead of precise shots. So why not just add spray patterns? Spray patterns:
> > > > >
> > > > > * Removes the RNG element
> > > > > * Allow low skill players to still spam and land shots
> > > > > * Allows high skill players to fire at max rof while maintaining accuracy
> > > > >
> > > > > It’s basically bloom but controllable. It adds a skill gap that people want while still maintaining the balancing ideas of bloom.
> > > >
> > > > There’s already a game that does this, it’s called Rust, and it’s available right now actually.
> > > >
> > > > Giving Halo the aim-style or recoil style of Rust would not only make the game… Rust… but would literally make it no longer a Halo game. This idea is just awful.
> > > >
> > > > It’s also hilarious that you don’t want to encourage “spam” (another word for spraying) but you want “spray patterns” for… spraying…
> > > >
> > > > You can’t make this stuff up
> > >
> > > No I don’t think that’s how that works. By that logic Rust is actually Counterstrike since CS did spray patterns before Rust.
> > >
> > > Also spam and spray are not inherently the same thing. A spray pattern is a set deviation. You actually have to learn spray patterns and adjust your aim accordingly to maximize efficiency. Not just spam over a person. Learning spray patterns is a skill gap as opposed to now where it’s just RNG at a lot of time.
> >
> > Spraying a weapon= spamming bullets.
> >
> > If you think pvp in Halo is RNG based, I honestly don’t know what to tell you lmfao
>
> Spray patterns are a pretty basic concept to understand, and bloom deviation is RNG. Don’t know why you’d lie about that? I merely suggested a solution to a community pain point, by suggesting something that keeps 343s balance design while also creating a much wanted skill gap. I clearly struck a weird nerve with you, sorry this set you off.

??? You are really bad at trolling

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members. This includes stat-flaming.</mark>

> > > > > > People’s problem with bloom is It’s random bullet spread and that it encourages spam instead of precise shots. So why not just add spray patterns? Spray patterns:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > * Removes the RNG element
> > > > > > * Allow low skill players to still spam and land shots
> > > > > > * Allows high skill players to fire at max rof while maintaining accuracy
> > > > > >
> > > > > > It’s basically bloom but controllable. It adds a skill gap that people want while still maintaining the balancing ideas of bloom.
> > > > >
> > > > > There’s already a game that does this, it’s called Rust, and it’s available right now actually.
> > > > >
> > > > > Giving Halo the aim-style or recoil style of Rust would not only make the game… Rust… but would literally make it no longer a Halo game. This idea is just awful.
> > > > >
> > > > > It’s also hilarious that you don’t want to encourage “spam” (another word for spraying) but you want “spray patterns” for… spraying…
> > > > >
> > > > > You can’t make this stuff up
> > > >
> > > > No I don’t think that’s how that works. By that logic Rust is actually Counterstrike since CS did spray patterns before Rust.
> > > >
> > > > Also spam and spray are not inherently the same thing. A spray pattern is a set deviation. You actually have to learn spray patterns and adjust your aim accordingly to maximize efficiency. Not just spam over a person. Learning spray patterns is a skill gap as opposed to now where it’s just RNG at a lot of time.
> > >
> > > Spraying a weapon= spamming bullets.
> > >
> > > If you think pvp in Halo is RNG based, I honestly don’t know what to tell you lmfao
> >
> > Spray patterns are a pretty basic concept to understand, and bloom deviation is RNG. Don’t know why you’d lie about that? I merely suggested a solution to a community pain point, by suggesting something that keeps 343s balance design while also creating a much wanted skill gap. I clearly struck a weird nerve with you, sorry this set you off.

Considering this is your response, to very lukewarm clarifications (Also the weird Rust comment) and that your profile says “top 4% in Halo Infinite flight” while your stats are literally hot garbage. I’m gonna go ahead and say you’re trolling. Weird thing to troll about honestly.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members. This includes stat-flaming.</mark>

> 2533274872218024;7:
> > 2535410017197749;6:
> > > 2533274872218024;5:
> > > > 2535410017197749;4:
> > > > > 2533274872218024;3:
> > > > > > 2535410017197749;2:
> > > > > > > 2533274872218024;1:
> > > > > > > People’s problem with bloom is It’s random bullet spread and that it encourages spam instead of precise shots. So why not just add spray patterns? Spray patterns:
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > * Removes the RNG element
> > > > > > > * Allow low skill players to still spam and land shots
> > > > > > > * Allows high skill players to fire at max rof while maintaining accuracy
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > It’s basically bloom but controllable. It adds a skill gap that people want while still maintaining the balancing ideas of bloom.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > There’s already a game that does this, it’s called Rust, and it’s available right now actually.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Giving Halo the aim-style or recoil style of Rust would not only make the game… Rust… but would literally make it no longer a Halo game. This idea is just awful.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > It’s also hilarious that you don’t want to encourage “spam” (another word for spraying) but you want “spray patterns” for… spraying…
> > > > > >
> > > > > > You can’t make this stuff up
> > > > >
> > > > > No I don’t think that’s how that works. By that logic Rust is actually Counterstrike since CS did spray patterns before Rust.
> > > > >
> > > > > Also spam and spray are not inherently the same thing. A spray pattern is a set deviation. You actually have to learn spray patterns and adjust your aim accordingly to maximize efficiency. Not just spam over a person. Learning spray patterns is a skill gap as opposed to now where it’s just RNG at a lot of time.
> > > >
> > > > Spraying a weapon= spamming bullets.
> > > >
> > > > If you think pvp in Halo is RNG based, I honestly don’t know what to tell you lmfao
> > >
> > > Spray patterns are a pretty basic concept to understand, and bloom deviation is RNG. Don’t know why you’d lie about that? I merely suggested a solution to a community pain point, by suggesting something that keeps 343s balance design while also creating a much wanted skill gap. I clearly struck a weird nerve with you, sorry this set you off.
> >
> > ??? You are really bad at trolling
>
> Considering this is your response, to very like warm clarifications and that your profile says “top 4% in Halo Infinite flight” while your stats are literally hot garbage. I’m gonna go ahead and say you’re trolling. Weird thing to troll about honestly.

Someone clearly didn’t click the imgur. Spend less time flaming/trolling and more time using logic and reasoning.

Nice 0.9 KDA in Halo 5 btw, mine is only literally 3 times higher than yours LOL

> 2535410017197749;8:
> > 2533274872218024;7:
> > > 2535410017197749;6:
> > > > 2533274872218024;5:
> > > > > 2535410017197749;4:
> > > > > > 2533274872218024;3:
> > > > > > > 2535410017197749;2:
> > > > > > > > 2533274872218024;1:
> > > > > > > > People’s problem with bloom is It’s random bullet spread and that it encourages spam instead of precise shots. So why not just add spray patterns? Spray patterns:
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > * Removes the RNG element
> > > > > > > > * Allow low skill players to still spam and land shots
> > > > > > > > * Allows high skill players to fire at max rof while maintaining accuracy
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > It’s basically bloom but controllable. It adds a skill gap that people want while still maintaining the balancing ideas of bloom.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > There’s already a game that does this, it’s called Rust, and it’s available right now actually.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Giving Halo the aim-style or recoil style of Rust would not only make the game… Rust… but would literally make it no longer a Halo game. This idea is just awful.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > It’s also hilarious that you don’t want to encourage “spam” (another word for spraying) but you want “spray patterns” for… spraying…
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > You can’t make this stuff up
> > > > > >
> > > > > > No I don’t think that’s how that works. By that logic Rust is actually Counterstrike since CS did spray patterns before Rust.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Also spam and spray are not inherently the same thing. A spray pattern is a set deviation. You actually have to learn spray patterns and adjust your aim accordingly to maximize efficiency. Not just spam over a person. Learning spray patterns is a skill gap as opposed to now where it’s just RNG at a lot of time.
> > > > >
> > > > > Spraying a weapon= spamming bullets.
> > > > >
> > > > > If you think pvp in Halo is RNG based, I honestly don’t know what to tell you lmfao
> > > >
> > > > Spray patterns are a pretty basic concept to understand, and bloom deviation is RNG. Don’t know why you’d lie about that? I merely suggested a solution to a community pain point, by suggesting something that keeps 343s balance design while also creating a much wanted skill gap. I clearly struck a weird nerve with you, sorry this set you off.
> > >
> > > ??? You are really bad at trolling
> >
> > Considering this is your response, to very like warm clarifications and that your profile says “top 4% in Halo Infinite flight” while your stats are literally hot garbage. I’m gonna go ahead and say you’re trolling. Weird thing to troll about honestly.
>
> Someone clearly didn’t click the imgur. Spend less time flaming/trolling and more time using logic and reasoning

Very interesting how you’re getting 2 likes the instant you post :thinking:

> 2533274872218024;9:
> > 2535410017197749;8:
> > > 2533274872218024;7:
> > > > 2535410017197749;6:
> > > > > 2533274872218024;5:
> > > > > > 2535410017197749;4:
> > > > > > > 2533274872218024;3:
> > > > > > > > 2535410017197749;2:
> > > > > > > > > 2533274872218024;1:
> > > > > > > > > People’s problem with bloom is It’s random bullet spread and that it encourages spam instead of precise shots. So why not just add spray patterns? Spray patterns:
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > > * Removes the RNG element
> > > > > > > > > * Allow low skill players to still spam and land shots
> > > > > > > > > * Allows high skill players to fire at max rof while maintaining accuracy
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > > It’s basically bloom but controllable. It adds a skill gap that people want while still maintaining the balancing ideas of bloom.
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > There’s already a game that does this, it’s called Rust, and it’s available right now actually.
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > Giving Halo the aim-style or recoil style of Rust would not only make the game… Rust… but would literally make it no longer a Halo game. This idea is just awful.
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > It’s also hilarious that you don’t want to encourage “spam” (another word for spraying) but you want “spray patterns” for… spraying…
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > You can’t make this stuff up
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > No I don’t think that’s how that works. By that logic Rust is actually Counterstrike since CS did spray patterns before Rust.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Also spam and spray are not inherently the same thing. A spray pattern is a set deviation. You actually have to learn spray patterns and adjust your aim accordingly to maximize efficiency. Not just spam over a person. Learning spray patterns is a skill gap as opposed to now where it’s just RNG at a lot of time.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Spraying a weapon= spamming bullets.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > If you think pvp in Halo is RNG based, I honestly don’t know what to tell you lmfao
> > > > >
> > > > > Spray patterns are a pretty basic concept to understand, and bloom deviation is RNG. Don’t know why you’d lie about that? I merely suggested a solution to a community pain point, by suggesting something that keeps 343s balance design while also creating a much wanted skill gap. I clearly struck a weird nerve with you, sorry this set you off.
> > > >
> > > > ??? You are really bad at trolling
> > >
> > > Considering this is your response, to very like warm clarifications and that your profile says “top 4% in Halo Infinite flight” while your stats are literally hot garbage. I’m gonna go ahead and say you’re trolling. Weird thing to troll about honestly.
> >
> > Someone clearly didn’t click the imgur. Spend less time flaming/trolling and more time using logic and reasoning
>
> Very interesting how you’re getting 2 likes the instant you post :thinking:

Nice job deflecting, you mention my stats when they are literally 3 times higher than yours LOL maybe next time click the imgur before you try to flame someone 3x better than you

Thanks for the laugh

Rust has the hardest spray pattern/recoil system, which outranks CS:GO in difficulty as Shroud/others have pointed out it doesn’t reset. So pattern memory is persistent. If you have time in Rust (especially competitive) it highlights how absurd lasers like Hjune are.
A lot of arena FPS use patterns because people LOVE to complain about RNG… (No offense to OP)

It is a slight pet peeve of mine because “bloom” is more akin to how actual gunfighting works. Like poker you’re playing percentages and there’s a reason you tend to aim center mass in certain situations. Where as straight repeatable patterns create two issues.

1. People just min-max training headshots, aka (X time played = X amount of ability) So you screw over people with jobs and lives.
  2. Cheaters/macros/mouse memory workarounds, etc. -Yoink- sucks (again, see Rust)

Now Gun_A having bloom and tending to kick up and right vs Gun_B having bloom that has more horizontal sway when moving/shooting too fast are quality gunfighting dynamics (in overly generalized terms). You still have to learn each weapon, but it becomes less about how much pattern memorization “up,up,right,up,left,up,up,right repeat” (Which is a skill, but like a lame & impressive one) vs actually knowing throttle control and the chance to hit center mass… That’s how guns work.

Although I have to acknowledge my bias as someone who prefers objective modes and MilSims, so my meat & potatoes is tactics/tomfoolery during matches. Although I do think it fits with the sandbox of Halo. So despite the Buck Rogers comic book spaceman who never takes his suit off silliness, guns should work like guns I think.

What weird comments in this thread, I agree OP. Good players deserve to be good, as someone who also isn’t a teen, has a job and a life, having as many variables that are controllable and are an indicator of ones skill is a bonus for the game, not a detriment. Halo is not a MilSim, it uses elements of arena shooters (pick-ups, space control, rotation) like quake and tactical shooters like CSGO (weaker movement, positioning, setups, teamwork). We went through this in Reach, the game is better without it. In CE if you hold the magnum trigger down the gun blooms, no-one does it, it’s a detriment to aim and skill. The H3 BR was also criticised for its spread. Controllable and learnable mechanics are superior to fingers crossed hope for the best mechanics.

> 2533274836395701;12:
> What weird comments in this thread, I agree OP. Good players deserve to be good, as someone who also isn’t a teen, has a job and a life, having as many variables that are controllable and are an indicator of ones skill is a bonus for the game, not a detriment. Halo is not a MilSim, it uses elements of arena shooters (pick-ups, space control, rotation) like quake and tactical shooters like CSGO (weaker movement, positioning, setups, teamwork). We went through this in Reach, the game is better without it. In CE if you hold the magnum trigger down the gun blooms, no-one does it, it’s a detriment to aim and skill. The H3 BR was also criticised for its spread. Controllable and learnable mechanics are superior to fingers crossed hope for the best mechanics.

I’m not saying it’s MilSim, but as someone who has range time. Patterns feel like lasers.

That said, there is bad pattern implementation as well as bad RNG spread implementation.

To clarify at least my point. I want something balanced, there should be a tiny bit of RNG to bullet trajectory. So the person who just holds the trigger down can do some damage or get A kill, but the skilled player that can burst and adjust their fire based on range/lead can do more with less.

Again, I’m super biased here, but I think people who just flatout think straight pattern recoil is the ultimate skill should go to a range. It’s not black & white. Halo IS a sim technically because it’s sandbox based, but I’d kinda look at it like those simcade racers that are in the middle of the road. It’s in that sweetspot where it has a wide range to work with.

A general behavior pattern, with a tiny RNG offset modifier to prevent pixel perfect shot predication -Yoink-.

> > People’s problem with bloom is It’s random bullet spread and that it encourages spam instead of precise shots. So why not just add spray patterns? Spray patterns:
> >
> > * Removes the RNG element
> > * Allow low skill players to still spam and land shots
> > * Allows high skill players to fire at max rof while maintaining accuracy
> >
> > It’s basically bloom but controllable. It adds a skill gap that people want while still maintaining the balancing ideas of bloom.
>
> Giving Halo the aim-style or recoil style of Rust would not only make the game… Rust… but would literally make it no longer a Halo game. This idea is just awful.

bloom also does not have any place in a halo game. and a more apt comparison would be counter-strike, the competitive FPS game with no ADS universally known for its skill-based recoil patterns.

> It’s also hilarious that you don’t want to encourage “spam” (another word for spraying) but you want “spray patterns” for… spraying…
>
> You can’t make this stuff up

i’m guessing you’ve never touched counter strike then. not that I fully agree with OP but it’s not a far fetched suggestion considering halo’s past and current attempts to balance spam.

> 2533274849655646;13:
> > 2533274836395701;12:
> > What weird comments in this thread, I agree OP. Good players deserve to be good, as someone who also isn’t a teen, has a job and a life, having as many variables that are controllable and are an indicator of ones skill is a bonus for the game, not a detriment. Halo is not a MilSim, it uses elements of arena shooters (pick-ups, space control, rotation) like quake and tactical shooters like CSGO (weaker movement, positioning, setups, teamwork). We went through this in Reach, the game is better without it. In CE if you hold the magnum trigger down the gun blooms, no-one does it, it’s a detriment to aim and skill. The H3 BR was also criticised for its spread. Controllable and learnable mechanics are superior to fingers crossed hope for the best mechanics.
>
> I’m not saying it’s MilSim, but as someone who has range time. Patterns feel like lasers.
>
> That said, there is bad pattern implementation as well as bad RNG spread implementation.
>
> To clarify at least my point. I want something balanced, there should be a tiny bit of RNG to bullet trajectory. So the person who just holds the trigger down can do some damage or get A kill, but the skilled player that can burst and adjust their fire based on range/lead can do more with less.
>
> Again, I’m super biased here, but I think people who just flatout think straight pattern recoil is the ultimate skill should go to a range. It’s not black & white. Halo IS a sim technically because it’s sandbox based, but I’d kinda look at it like those simcade racers that are in the middle of the road. It’s in that sweetspot where it has a wide range to work with.
>
> A general behavior pattern, with a tiny RNG offset modifier to prevent pixel perfect shot predication -Yoink-.

Given the speed at which targets are moving in Halo and how they can change trajectory instantly, such rng offsets aren’t really needed if the spray patterns are sufficiently difficult.

Giving the commando the spray pattern of something like the flatline from apex would achieve the desired effect just as well as bloom I suspect, but without all the associated rng.

I don’t necessarily agree with this but I don’t disagree with it either it would be a ok compromise but in my opinion one of my favorite things in and throughout all the halo games is that they have almost never have had spray patterns. I think I would take bloom over spray patterns because I have never really liked them. But that’s just me.

It just needs to be consistent within the ranges that most players wish to engage in combat.

I was always a closer fan to how HCE did it, especially in regards to executing headshots. It combined random bullet spread and hitbox magnetism to create consistency and a good feel for console FPS. I’m also not talking about the PC ports of those games which had a different feel.

Halo’s hitbox always has had it where there is magnetism around the outer edges and none within the those edges.

So, let’s use HCE’s M6D for example:

• when aiming the M6D, you were likely to miss shots if you aimed directly at the head. This is because there was no magnetism and you could actually be hitting under the head’s hitbox, especially if you did not pulse fire for more accurate spread. However, you could get highly consistent outcomes by aiming above the head. (it was a huge part as to why the game had a large skill gap, and this single-most important tip allowed me to be one of the best 3-shot players at my college)

In Halo 2, something changed. I’m not sure exactly, but there was lot more emphasis on having height advantage because you could not as consistently execute headshots in the same way as you could in HCE when aiming upward. But, I can’t criticize that game too much cause I still like it the most out of the series, despite its plethora of game-breaking bugs.

Halo 3 is where things started going down this bloom path. They began to try and fix problems that weren’t even problems, by trying to limit engagements within certain ranges, etc. Thus, brought us the BR Spread thread which might still be alive today, lol.

• since the spread was so wild this made apparent how inconsistent Halo is and always has been to its core, and bullet magnetism couldn’t save it. Now, when aiming at the head, it was more common for bullets to randomly hit below the chin where there is no magnetism, and similarly, when aiming above the head, bullets would randomly hit outside of the magnetism range. There could be compensation by the player to “sweep” their reticule across the head area, therefore increasing the chance that all bullets hit within the magnetism range, but no guarantees.

It didn’t fix the problems that they were trying to fix, thus as to why bloom came in. But, it wasn’t executed well.

You now have it designed in a way that by firing faster, your bullets become less accurate to control range. But, fire them at a specific (slow) pace, you can fire with super-accuracy. Believe it or not, but this was what the competitive community were advocating for.

The problem, however, is now it forces players to need to pace shots slower than they want to engage at the ranges which most players want to fight within. And, at closer ranges, it encourages players to fire really fast, resulting in battles determined more by who fired more rapidly.

Ideally, it should be like this, in my opinion:

• No major advantage to TTK for using auto-fire vs pulse-fire - Fastest RoF with pulse-fire is consistent - Adjusted head hitbox and magnetism to be smaller and more above the head, but still enough for a good consistent feel - Range is controlled mostly by distance from reticule to target and percent of target within certain area of reticule.

i like it and im surprised i never thought it before. Ill be honest bloom never screwed me over as far as i can remember but this is a good idea.

> 2535410017197749;4:
> > 2533274872218024;3:
> > > 2535410017197749;2:
> > > > 2533274872218024;1:
> > > > People’s problem with bloom is It’s random bullet spread and that it encourages spam instead of precise shots. So why not just add spray patterns? Spray patterns:
> > > >
> > > > * Removes the RNG element
> > > > * Allow low skill players to still spam and land shots
> > > > * Allows high skill players to fire at max rof while maintaining accuracy
> > > >
> > > > It’s basically bloom but controllable. It adds a skill gap that people want while still maintaining the balancing ideas of bloom.
> > >
> > > There’s already a game that does this, it’s called Rust, and it’s available right now actually.
> > >
> > > Giving Halo the aim-style or recoil style of Rust would not only make the game… Rust… but would literally make it no longer a Halo game. This idea is just awful.
> > >
> > > It’s also hilarious that you don’t want to encourage “spam” (another word for spraying) but you want “spray patterns” for… spraying…
> > >
> > > You can’t make this stuff up
> >
> > No I don’t think that’s how that works. By that logic Rust is actually Counterstrike since CS did spray patterns before Rust.
> >
> > Also spam and spray are not inherently the same thing. A spray pattern is a set deviation. You actually have to learn spray patterns and adjust your aim accordingly to maximize efficiency. Not just spam over a person. Learning spray patterns is a skill gap as opposed to now where it’s just RNG at a lot of time.
>
> Spraying a weapon= spamming bullets.
>
> If you think pvp in Halo is RNG based, I honestly don’t know what to tell you lmfao

Hi yes while spray patterns might not be the answer bloom is no better and does in fact add RNG to the game.

The theory behind reach’s dmr was you had to pace your shots to keep it from becoming to inaccurate in a gun fight. However that never happens anymore since people found out that full spraying as fast as possible still worked since the chance of hitting the shot to kill a person out weighed everything else, thus adding some level of RNG to gun fights.

Rust is the worst possible example of spray patterns. It’s a survival game that has a ton of bugs. Really Rust?!

Counter Strike, Battlefield, Apex, and Valorant are far better examples.

I’m not sure if it would be better for Halo or not. I do agree with the OP saying that the higher skilled player will land more shots in that system. While lower skilled players can still be very effective, but the same could be argued for bloom.

They’re not going to change that anytime soon though. That’s a huge system to overhaul.