Why no spectator mode yet?

Why hasn’t a spectator mode been put into a Halo game yet. It’s very useful for broadcasting e-sports, and since Halo used to be pretty much the face of e-sports, I would think they would put a spectator mode in. Gears 3 got it after launch. Can Halo 4 get it? Even Black Ops 2 is getting spectator mode…

Umm what exactly would spectator mode bring to Halo series? as we already have theatre mode( I know they aren’t the same but do the almost the same things right?)

> Umm what exactly would spectator mode bring to Halo series? as we already have theatre mode( I know they aren’t the same but do the almost the same things right?)

No, with spectator mode you can have players watch others do 1vs1 live etc

> Umm what exactly would spectator mode bring to Halo series? as we already have theatre mode( I know they aren’t the same but do the almost the same things right?)

Theater is good for recaps and what not, but doesn’t work for live gameplay. That’s what Spectator mode would be used for, so they can display live gameplay more efficiently.

And for why it’s not:

> Will there be Spectator Mode in Halo 4? –CyReN CE
>
> There will be some changes to post-death camera, but full spectator mode is a bandwidth hog that we would not introduce into a competitive arena.

Ω

> > Umm what exactly would spectator mode bring to Halo series? as we already have theatre mode( I know they aren’t the same but do the almost the same things right?)
>
> No, with spectator mode you can have players watch others do 1vs1 live etc

Doesn’t really sound that important to me.

> > > Umm what exactly would spectator mode bring to Halo series? as we already have theatre mode( I know they aren’t the same but do the almost the same things right?)
> >
> > No, with spectator mode you can have players watch others do 1vs1 live etc
>
> Doesn’t really sound that important to me.

A Spectator mode would allow for display of players in games that are live more efficiency for tournaments and things like that.

Ω

> > > Umm what exactly would spectator mode bring to Halo series? as we already have theatre mode( I know they aren’t the same but do the almost the same things right?)
> >
> > No, with spectator mode you can have players watch others do 1vs1 live etc
>

Maybe not for you but for some community’s it is, it would allow for more low budget halo tourneys to stream live and online tournaments.

I’d prefer something similiar to League of Legends way of doing spectator where the broadcast is 3 minutes behind. That way no one can fly around with free cam and tell their buddies who are playing where the enemy team is or what they’re doing.

True, it might not be important at all yo you, I bet a majority would never even use it. However, for esports, tournaments, any “real” competition to take place in Halo and be popular, you need it.
People want to watch, not days after a match but in real time or as close to it as possible. That’s why Spectator mode is needed for Halo to once again be a game you don’t only play, but watch. Esport, not just a game :slight_smile:

Doesn’t seem like a necessity to me…

They said they wont add it since its a bandwith hog

> Will there be Spectator Mode in Halo 4? –CyReN CE
>
> There will be some changes to post-death camera, but full spectator mode is a bandwidth hog that we would not introduce into a competitive arena.

It’s a bandwidth hog!? Are you kidding me!? E-sports like MLG are played on a LAN. There is no bandwidth problem!

Spectator modes aren’t mainly used over the internet. They are primarily used to broadcast LAN tournaments. Not watch 1v1s over LIVE.

I would love to see them add a spectator mode to custom games.

> > Will there be Spectator Mode in Halo 4? –CyReN CE
> >
> > There will be some changes to post-death camera, but full spectator mode is a bandwidth hog that we would not introduce into a competitive arena.
>
> It’s a bandwidth hog!? Are you kidding me!? E-sports like MLG are played on a LAN. There is no bandwidth problem!
>
> Spectator modes aren’t mainly used over the internet. They are primarily used to broadcast LAN tournaments. Not watch 1v1s over LIVE.

Seriously, even a LAN only spectator mode would pretty much guarantee H4 on the MLG circuit as pro player Gandhi has already said.

Im tired of the excuses when it comes to supporting the competitive community, EVERY major pvp tournament game has spectator mode except Halo. We have been asking for this feature ever since H2 and still managed to succeed without it. EVERY game currently on the MLG pro circuit has a fully functional spectator mode, it is a necessity for tournament success and we deserve it.

Why would I want to waist my time watching other people play when I could just go play myself?

Besides the MLG tournaments are doing just fine with out it…

> Why would I want to waist my time watching other people play when I could just go play myself?
>
> Besides the MLG tournaments are doing just fine with out it…

The same reason why people watch sports…
Why watch the NFL when you could just go play football with your friends?
Why play Halo when you could just go shoot real people?
Its called entertainment.

Yes you are right. Halo has been doing amazing on the Pro Circuit…
/sarcasm

> Why would I want to waist my time watching other people play when I could just go play myself?
>

Halo has never been very profitable for MLG. It costs so much to stream Halo because you have to split gameplay to the big-screen, live stream, and commentator booth for all eight xboxs. A simple spectator mode cuts the costs of hosting a Halo tournament significantly and opens the door for many other Halo tournaments such as live online ones and makes streaming BTB tournaments much easier as well.

>

Halo is not even part of the circuit so no its not doing fine its doing pretty bad right now. Every game currently on the circuit has a fully functional spectator mode, Halo 4 needs a LAN only spectator mode patched in or its screwed. MLG has already stated Halo costs the most to run out of any game, and is the hardest to broadcast because of the burning absence of a spectator mode that should of been already in the game by now.

There is always the possibility of getting one post launch in a game update.

> There is always the possibility of getting one post launch in a game update.

I hope so. Like Gears of War 3 did :slight_smile: