Why no player count on playlists yet?

In Halo 3 and especially Reach showed how many players were playing at any given time. Reach especially shows (still does) how many people are playing in a playlist at any given time. This pretty much solves wait times on its own. You know if someone is playing a playlist and whether to expect some wait times or not. Completely makes the argument of not adding too many playlist to prevent fracturing moot.

They don’t want people seeing how little players there are.

No kidding, i loaded up reach today for some comparison. Not only did i have more fun despite the dated graphics, but the moment i hit A to start finding a Team Slayer match i got a match. Then i teamed up with someone to go into team doubles despite there only being 12 players in the playlist a match started in about 15 seconds.

> 2533274805604025;3:
> No kidding, i loaded up reach today for some comparison. Not only did i have more fun despite the dated graphics, but the moment i hit A to start finding a Team Slayer match i got a match. Then i teamed up with someone to go into team doubles despite there only being 12 players in the playlist a match started in about 15 seconds.

There are more people on my FL regularly playing Reach than H5.

Why?
maybe because five months after launch the game can’t even crack the top 10 most played games on xbl
even halo 4 held a population longer than this and that’s saying something

Where do you see the top ten played xbox live games?

In the store portion of your dashboard
go to game store and scroll down to most played
right now H5 sits #11 behind madden 16 and above Star Wars battlefront

I’m glad they’re not displayed. Our community has a strange fixation where if there is less than X population in a playlist they will abandon the playlist. Where X is more than enough people to support the playlist and keep the matchmaking system functional.

> 2533274803493024;8:
> Where X is more than enough people to support the playlist and keep the matchmaking system functional

Which is why it takes 15 min to find a game for anyone not in the USA and is why here in Aus we can’t get games in breakout BtB or warzone assault
yep…more than enough players to keep it “functional”

It’s possible that playlists with low population would be harmed by this. If players see that the playlist has low population then it deters them from playing it.

> 2533274832130936;9:
> > 2533274803493024;8:
> > Where X is more than enough people to support the playlist and keep the matchmaking system functional
>
>
> Which is why it takes 15 min to find a game for anyone not in the USA and is why here in Aus we can’t get games in breakout BtB or warzone assault
> yep…more than enough players to keep it “functional”

Pop counter won’t fix that… Tell 343 to fix there servers, or remove region lock.

> 2533274923562209;11:
> > 2533274832130936;9:
> > > 2533274803493024;8:
> > > Where X is more than enough people to support the playlist and keep the matchmaking system functional
> >
> >
> > Which is why it takes 15 min to find a game for anyone not in the USA and is why here in Aus we can’t get games in breakout BtB or warzone assault
> > yep…more than enough players to keep it “functional”
>
>
> Pop counter won’t fix that… Tell 343 to fix there servers, or remove region lock.

A pop counter won’t fix anything I agree
i think the pop is intentionally hidden to hide the fact the game is a failure from a retention standpoint
The only thing that will “fix” anything is for 343i to work on and properly develop H6 and give us a full complete experience at launch
and even then if they include microtransactions in H6 I will have my doubts

> 2533274803493024;8:
> I’m glad they’re not displayed. Our community has a strange fixation where if there is less than X population in a playlist they will abandon the playlist. Where X is more than enough people to support the playlist and keep the matchmaking system functional.

Why would you want to wait 5-20 min when you could just go on a populated playlist?

> 2533274832130936;12:
> > 2533274923562209;11:
> > > 2533274832130936;9:
> > > > 2533274803493024;8:
> > > > Where X is more than enough people to support the playlist and keep the matchmaking system functional
> > >
> > >
> > > Which is why it takes 15 min to find a game for anyone not in the USA and is why here in Aus we can’t get games in breakout BtB or warzone assault
> > > yep…more than enough players to keep it “functional”
> >
> >
> > Pop counter won’t fix that… Tell 343 to fix there servers, or remove region lock.
>
>
> A pop counter won’t fix anything I agree
> i think the pop is intentionally hidden to hide the fact the game is a failure from a retention standpoint
> The only thing that will “fix” anything is for 343i to work on and properly develop H6 and give us a full complete experience at launch
> and even then if they include microtransactions in H6 I will have my doubts

I don’t see that, especially when it’s been confirmed h5 has the best rentention of the entire series, accept for h3. Plus there’s records showing how 400k players have at least placed in a rank. It could be arguable they have no counter for population reasons, but if I myself were a dev, I don’t see a reason to have it either. H4 had no counter and reach had 900k players as a peak, so I doubt 343 was scared of the numbers, I think they’re like me, and could care less to showboat a population.

> 2533274923562209;14:
> > 2533274832130936;12:
> > > 2533274923562209;11:
> > > > 2533274832130936;9:
> > > > > 2533274803493024;8:
> > > > > Where X is more than enough people to support the playlist and keep the matchmaking system functional
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Which is why it takes 15 min to find a game for anyone not in the USA and is why here in Aus we can’t get games in breakout BtB or warzone assault
> > > > yep…more than enough players to keep it “functional”
> > >
> > >
> > > pop counter won’t fix that… Tell 343 to fix there servers, or remove region lock.
> >
> >
> > A pop counter won’t fix anything I agree
> > i think the pop is intentionally hidden to hide the fact the game is a failure from a retention standpoint
> > The only thing that will “fix” anything is for 343i to work on and properly develop H6 and give us a full complete experience at launch
> > and even then if they include microtransactions in H6 I will have my doubts
>
>
> I don’t see that, especially when it’s been confirmed h5 has the best rentention of the entire series, accept for h3. Plus there’s records showing how 400k players have at least placed in a rank. It could be arguable they have no counter for population reasons, but if I myself were a dev, I don’t see a reason to have it either. H4 had no counter and reach had 900k players as a peak, so I doubt 343 was scared of the numbers, I think they’re like me, and could care less to showboat a population.

Confirmed by who? 343i?
you mean by the same people who said the game would have selectable data centres at launch?
who said it would be the longest halo campaign ever?

youll forgive me if I don’t believe a single thing 343 said
and incidentally your numbers are off
way off
they said that H5 had the best retention since H2 and claimed it beat H3 in retention (which in of itself is an outright lie) and in Febuary it was 300k unique players that obtained a rank within that month
300k may seem like a lot but that doesn’t mean anything when you can’t get more than 50k online together at any given time and doesn’t account forgot many players played their ten placement matches and then never played again that month

also, H4 didn’t have population counters and suffers the same fate that H5 will which is a premature end to its life cycle
I will
leave this little gem for you to browtse through at your leisure
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=709697

I feel like when games show player count certain playlists get abandoned. That being said, I kinda want to know too.