Why no original Halo 1 multiplayer

Like the subject say’s ‘why is there no original Halo 1 multiplayer’ being released with the anniversary. It is supposed to be for the fans. But being a fan since day 1 myself i do not understand how they decided to skip adding the halo 1 muliplayer…

I first found halo 1 on the xbox at a system link night around my friends, up until this point i was not a gamer in the slightest. I would occasionally play multiplayer with my friends but on that night i formed an addiction for the halo 1 multiplayer. I went out the following week and purchased the first xbox just so i could play halo 1. Spent hours battling the campaign and when i wasn’t making new profiles just to complete it on legendary once again i was hooking up via xlink kai to play the multiplayer over LAN. That and carting my TV off to a friends for a much anticipated link up night!

Then it came to the PC with online multiplayer and i can’t imagine how many weeks if not months of solid time i played. Then came Halo 2 on live which again i devoted a huge chunk of time too. Even when it came to PC i played and played still. Then Halo 3 and once again i was hooked. But then Halo reach comes out and the spark went, it was just like most other FPS shooters and offered me nothing to satisfy that spark that halo 1 originally ignited.

But then i hear they are remaking Halo 1 and i see the trailors and the videos on youtube and i am taken back to that very first encounter with the game. But then i discover that they are not remaking the multiplayer but merely using the reach engine with ‘some’ of the older maps. I am sooo disappointed!

It wouldn’t fit. 343i literally used up all the space on that one disk for CEA. If they did they would need to have a separate disk for it which would result in a jacked up price.

I don’t think i stand alone when i say this, but being a true Halo 1 fan - i would gladly pay extra for their efforts, after all this was mean’t to be for the fans, how many Halo 1 fans can say they didn’t spend hours playing their friends on system link or online with the PC version when compared to the Halo Reach version that they cashed in on?

I believe it to be a big mistake, just look around on the net for disgruntled fans complaining about how they are not remaking the multiplayer side of Halo 1. Laziness and greed maybe…

It wasn’t be able to done without changing the core gameplay experience, Halo 1’s Xbox Multiplayer wasn’t designed to work with Xbox LIVE.

Ripping the Halo PC resources wasn’t going to work either, they would still need to design it for Xbox LIVE, be lucky we got what we got.

-Moa

> I don’t think i stand alone when i say this, but being a true Halo 1 fan - i would gladly pay extra for their efforts, after all this was mean’t to be for the fans, how many Halo 1 fans can say they didn’t spend hours playing their friends on system link or online with the PC version when compared to the Halo Reach version that they cashed in on?

I would pay extra too but because CEA is not necessarily a “new” game, 343i wants to make the price as great of a deal as possible and the truth is that is the correct decision to compete with the other shooters coming this fall.

343i simply didn’t want to draw players away from Reach. Not that I blame them for that decision, but “real” H:CE multiplayer would have been a thousand times more fun for me.

If this had the Halo 1 multiplayer i would buy it over MW3, after all it is just a rehash of MW2, and i have been a fan since COD4 . I just don’t think this anniversary is ‘for the fans’ as they say, if it were then they would have reworked it to have the Halo 1 multiplayer and released it not at the same times as the other years blockbusters

> > I don’t think i stand alone when i say this, but being a true Halo 1 fan - i would gladly pay extra for their efforts, after all this was mean’t to be for the fans, how many Halo 1 fans can say they didn’t spend hours playing their friends on system link or online with the PC version when compared to the Halo Reach version that they cashed in on?
>
> I would pay extra too but because CEA is not necessarily a “new” game, 343i wants to make the price as great of a deal as possible and the truth is that is the correct decision to compete with the other shooters coming this fall.

I don’t even think they’re trying to compete with other shooters with the release of CEA.

> > > I don’t think i stand alone when i say this, but being a true Halo 1 fan - i would gladly pay extra for their efforts, after all this was mean’t to be for the fans, how many Halo 1 fans can say they didn’t spend hours playing their friends on system link or online with the PC version when compared to the Halo Reach version that they cashed in on?
> >
> > I would pay extra too but because CEA is not necessarily a “new” game, 343i wants to make the price as great of a deal as possible and the truth is that is the correct decision to compete with the other shooters coming this fall.
>
> I don’t even think they’re trying to compete with other shooters with the release of CEA.

then why release at the same time?

Halo CE Multiplayer just wouldn’t work online. Apart from all of the technical issues (like making the game playable online in the first place), there are a lot of gameplay elements that would need to be balanced, which goes against what they’re trying to do because they would have to change too much.

There are also things like the spawn times on weapons and people glitching out of the maps which can be fun, but when you’re playing online things can be very different as people would abuse these things. It’s easier if they use Reach as they can get close to the original (the new classic playlist) while having the ability to change certain aspects of the game like weapon placement, maps and gametypes. Plus they don’t have to split up Reach’s population.

I’m glad they’re using Reach instead of the original CE multiplayer.

EDIT:

> then why release at the same time?

Because it’s the 10 year anniversary of Halo. That;s the main reason it’s being made. It’s coming out on November 15th just like the original. They’re not making this game to compete with other shooters, they’re making it for the fans and to celebrate 10 years of the Halo franchise and Bungie. That’s why it’s called Halo Anniversary.

> Halo CE Multiplayer just wouldn’t work online.

I think that H:PC proves you wrong on that point, my friend. =)

And yes, H:PC was different from XBL multiplayer because you had to lead your shots. But then again, you also had to do that in H3.

> > Halo CE Multiplayer just wouldn’t work online.
>
> I think that H:PC proves you wrong on that point, my friend. =)
>
> And yes, H:PC was different from XBL multiplayer because you had to lead your shots. But then again, you also had to do that in H3.

Halo CE on the PC was built for online. The Xbox version was not. They’re remaking the Xbox version so they don’t have any of the online features the PC version added.

A lot of people are missing the point, they advertise this as a game for the fans, when they don’t listen to the fans. Remaking Halo 1 should involve the multiplayer, if they are going to take our money and keep the community then they should stop just cashing in and listen to us. Go back and read the original post before replying, this is about the whole experience from Halo 1, and all they are doing is bringing back the campaign when most people would not be playing games today (me included) if it had not been for the Halo 1 multiplayer!

Frankie said in the Vi-doc that they couldn’t make the original code run on Xbox Live without changing the experience and if they couldn’t make it play the same way it did 10 years ago they didn’t want to do it.

I guess we’d have ended up with a “muddy” version of CE’s multiplayer that none of us would really have wanted so they felt it was best to do a map-pack for Reach.

Personally I’d have liked them to put the old maps on there so I could still do system link, but I guess they felt it wasn’t worth the effort for the small part of the audience that plays LAN.

I have 3 original Xboxes and 3 copies of Halo anyway so it’s not like I can’t play it if I really want to, it would have been nice to have a HD version though.

> A lot of people are missing the point, they advertise this as a game for the fans, when they don’t listen to the fans. Remaking Halo 1 should involve the multiplayer, if they are going to take our money and keep the community then they should stop just cashing in and listen to us. Go back and read the original post before replying, this is about the whole experience from Halo 1, and all they are doing is bringing back the campaign when most people would not be playing games today (me included) if it had not been for the Halo 1 multiplayer!

You are missing the point completely, the experience you are practically begging for now isn’t possible to do if they add Multiplayer, once again, be grateful you got what you did and 7 BEAUTIFUL REMAKES in Reach.

I really get what the OP is trying to say I am a core Halo fan at heart. This remaster version is going to be amazing. I understand that they didnt make an online multiplayer for Halo CEA because it would have split the community. However the disc is not coming with a local co-op function so no system linkage for all of us Halo-LAN-d freaks (no more 4 box router hook-up and 16 players). Out of everything its the only dissapointment. It is a disspaointment I can live with though, after all whats my old copy of CE gonna do collect dust? No way!

> > A lot of people are missing the point, they advertise this as a game for the fans, when they don’t listen to the fans. Remaking Halo 1 should involve the multiplayer, if they are going to take our money and keep the community then they should stop just cashing in and listen to us. Go back and read the original post before replying, this is about the whole experience from Halo 1, and all they are doing is bringing back the campaign when most people would not be playing games today (me included) if it had not been for the Halo 1 multiplayer!
>
> You are missing the point completely, the experience you are practically begging for now isn’t possible to do if they add Multiplayer, once again, be grateful you got what you did and 7 BEAUTIFUL REMAKES in Reach.

I said right at the start that Reach isn’t Halo 1, so making a map pack for it is not giving anything to a Halo 1 fan! Speak to most Halo 1 fans about their opinion of Reach

> A lot of people are missing the point, they advertise this as a game for the fans, when they don’t listen to the fans. Remaking Halo 1 should involve the multiplayer, if they are going to take our money and keep the community then they should stop just cashing in and listen to us. Go back and read the original post before replying, this is about the whole experience from Halo 1, and all they are doing is bringing back the campaign when most people would not be playing games today (me included) if it had not been for the Halo 1 multiplayer!

They have listened and they have addressed the complaints by giving the reasons that I have just posted.They had to beg Microsoft to let them make the game in the first place. Another main factor is time. They don’t have the time or the man power to make the game online as they want to get it out by November 15th and most of 343 is probably working on Halo 4. Also, 343i have proved that they listen to the fans because they changed the Assault Rifle back to what it’s supposed to look like.

Most people remember Halo CE for the Campaign (I know I do). Like I said I’m glad they’re only remaking the Campaign and adding Reach maps because while Reach multiplayer does have it’s problems, it’s a lot less glitchy and a lot more stable than Halo CE’s multiplayer is.

> > > A lot of people are missing the point, they advertise this as a game for the fans, when they don’t listen to the fans. Remaking Halo 1 should involve the multiplayer, if they are going to take our money and keep the community then they should stop just cashing in and listen to us. Go back and read the original post before replying, this is about the whole experience from Halo 1, and all they are doing is bringing back the campaign when most people would not be playing games today (me included) if it had not been for the Halo 1 multiplayer!
> >
> > You are missing the point completely, the experience you are practically begging for now isn’t possible to do if they add Multiplayer, once again, be grateful you got what you did and 7 BEAUTIFUL REMAKES in Reach.
>
> I said right at the start that Reach isn’t Halo 1, so making a map pack for it is not giving anything to a Halo 1 fan! Speak to most Halo 1 fans about their opinion of Reach

Then what do I need to tell you?

Your NOT getting Halo 1 Multiplayer, you have Reach map packs, if you don’t like it, tough, a Multiplayer remake isn’t possible without changing the game YOU loved, the game YOU enjoyed.

They dont want to split the population, and they wouldnt want to leave Reach alone like that. Especially after having just started updating it.
Plus, they have already probaly used too much space already in the disc for: Campaign, Firefight and Forge if they tried to add a whole new Multiplayer, then it would take anotehr disc.