Why must everyone use a precision weapon?

Hi there. Before I begin, just saying that this is my first thread/topic of discussion so forgive me if I do things incorrectly. Now lets begin:

I am constantly annoyed playing against other people who use precision weapons. I have nothing against them, don’t get me wrong as I use them as well but only to get 100% commendations as I am more of a fully-automatic gun player. I am really annoyed because, reminiscing back to Halo 3, everyone started off with Assault Rifles and it was awesome in my opinion because it was all close-quarter combat with no campers using their precision weapons from a distance. Personally, I find it really hard to come against other players who also use fully-automatic weapons because everyone seems to use the BR because it’s OP as F***! So basically, the point of this topic, is what do you think I should do? Go with the saying “If you can’t beat em’, join em’!” or just simply deal with it?

Also, could someone please give me a playlist where I would find it easier to use the fully-automatic weapons in playlists? FFA seems to be the one for me but it’s annoying because everyone always goes for me when there are up to 7 other people on the map…pick on the fat kid why don’t ya!

Have a good day everyone! :slight_smile:

i think the question should be “why doesn’t halo ever have good automatic weapons” if halo had an automatic that was hard to aim with requiring skill (projectile, low aim assist / magnetism) then there would be more people using automatics as 343 could increase range and decrease kill-time in accordance with making it much more difficult to use.

not to say all automatics should be like this, but atleast 1.

gears of war did an alright job in this aspect especially hammerburst.

however halo could make it much more polished and less random

If you don’t like precision weapons, you are in the wrong game, hehe!
(^^)
Just as you will have a tough time in GoW, if you don’t like shotties (I don’t ^
- ). I think CoD is pretty automatics-centered, true?

I can only theorize why the developers keep the automatics down. I can think of GoW’s Retro working excellent for Halo, yet the automatic rifles still behave like SMGs. Guess it’s because Halo fans want their BR to be the main weapon. Most people like its mechanics and of course, nostalgia. Maybe the devs think something along the lines of: “Hey, the competitives will always want their precision feel, so balancing a BR-esque automatic would be a waste no matter what! Let’s focus on balancing precisions for competitive play and leave the automatics for more casual players, but make them slightly better in their niche only!”

BTW, Celt, what did GoW right with the HB? In GoW1 it was pickup, so out of equation. GoW2 it completely dominated over the Lancer until one of the last patches. In GoW3, again and still, it completely annihilates the Lancer. Modded controllers add to this. Thankfully, the Retro is more OP, which is however bad for the Gnasher. Judgmenet has every starting weapon pretty balanced. But that’s it, rest of that game is dirt.

> If you don’t like precision weapons, you are in the wrong game, hehe!
> (^^)
> Just as you will have a tough time in GoW, if you don’t like shotties (I don’t ^
- ). I think CoD is pretty automatics-centered, true?

The Kawaii is strong with this one.

Anyway, I would say CoD is also very…“precision-based”… (>.<)

What I mean by that is that CoD isn’t so much defined by automatic weapons as it is by it’s lack of a sharp black/white head/body-shot divide. Inversely, Halo is not so much defined by the BR as it is the gameplay mechanic the BR carries. Incidentally, that mechanic is currently tilted in the BR’s favor.

You need to pick your fights when using an automatic weapon.

Kills can be racked up with the AR if you know how and when to use it. It will kill quick at mid-short range, remember to melee as well and only engage in tight spaces or areas that have a lot of cover available.

Also, pick the right loadout for the map and if you want to use automatic, play the smaller playlists with 8 players.

Since the map sizes have been increased (thanks sprint), most engagements now lean towards mid-range far more than ever. However. If you’re trying to rack up automatic kills, I’d recommed voting for any Majestic DLC map in the rare event that they appear as they’re smaller in size and have tighter spaces.

The precision weapons have no limitations being able to do what the AR can at close range and so much more. The automatic weapons are far from bad in this game. I mean if you have an AR on host, it is pretty much the equivalent to a Saw…

TBH I think the automatic weapons are balanced almost perfectly into the sandbox (aside from the Suppressor). If anything I would like to see them have a small reduce in power/aim assist/whatever be necessary because they are far to easy to use and far to powerful at range.

I’m a HUGE fan of the suppressor AND a big fan of BTB… You may call me crazy but CQC is my favorite place to be, but at the same time i love playing as part of a team (the more the merrier). Yes I’m often outgunned by BR, LR, and DMR users, but I still stick with the suppressor. Why? because nothing is more satisfying for me than going up against a bunch of ppl with precision weapons and making it into the top 3 highest scores of the match. Maybe my K/D suffers, but I’m still having fun using the type of weapons I love

Honestly, there really isn’t much reason not to use automatics. Automatic weapons are the most powerful they have ever been in Halo 4. That being said, a precision weapon will always beat them outside of close range. Sure, the Assault Rifle, for instance, can be effective with burst fire at medium range. But a precision rifle is much better at this range.

And most of the maps included in the default vanilla game are BTB maps. Yes, there are interior areas, but generally speaking, a precision weapons is more effective all-around on these maps.

In short, yes the autos can find themselves effective, but in most situations where you can use one, a precision rifle is much more effective. But I’ll still love my Assault Rifle.

If you can’t beat em, join em

> BTW, Celt, what did GoW right with the HB? In GoW1 it was pickup, so out of equation. GoW2 it completely dominated over the Lancer until one of the last patches. In GoW3, again and still, it completely annihilates the Lancer. Modded controllers add to this. Thankfully, the Retro is more OP, which is however bad for the Gnasher. Judgmenet has every starting weapon pretty balanced. But that’s it, rest of that game is dirt.

i was simply referencing a skillful assault rifle.

i was referring to the GoW 3 hammerburst, not its killtime or power within the GoW sandbox, but the way it fires and functions being closer to what a skillful auto in halo should look like

a skillful auto in halo should be

• precise
  • projectile
  • headshot capable
  • zoom
  • no randomness
  • medium range like the br
  • slower rate of fire like GoW 2 hammerburst
  • not too many shots to kill (9-11)
  • kill time equal or slightly less to that of the br
  • lower aim assist/magnetism

despite the hammerburst being quite different to these specs, it’s the closest auto i could think of that ticks the most boxes

at the least make it medium ranged, zoom and headshot capable and it could be viable at higher level competitive play

> > BTW, Celt, what did GoW right with the HB? In GoW1 it was pickup, so out of equation. GoW2 it completely dominated over the Lancer until one of the last patches. In GoW3, again and still, it completely annihilates the Lancer. Modded controllers add to this. Thankfully, the Retro is more OP, which is however bad for the Gnasher. Judgmenet has every starting weapon pretty balanced. But that’s it, rest of that game is dirt.
>
> i was simply referencing a skillful assault rifle.
>
> i was referring to the GoW 3 hammerburst, not its killtime or power within the GoW sandbox, but the way it fires and functions being closer to what a skillful auto in halo should look like
>
> a skillful auto in halo should be
>
> - precise
> - projectile
> - headshot capable
> - zoom
> - no randomness
> - medium range like the br
> - slower rate of fire like GoW 2 hammerburst
> - not too many shots to kill (9-11)
> - kill time equal or slightly less to that of the br
> - lower aim assist/magnetism
>
> despite the hammerburst being quite different to these specs, it’s the closest auto i could think of that ticks the most boxes
>
> at the least make it medium ranged, zoom and headshot capable and it could be viable at higher level competitive play

I like the lines upon which you’re thinking. I would be of the opinion that if we were to give the M7s SMG, (The one from ODST),a headshot multiplier and a slight boost in damage coupled with a decrease in Auto-aim/Magnetism, we might attain a skillful auto.

> Also, could someone please give me a playlist where I would find it easier to use the fully-automatic weapons in playlists?

Nope, just get good with the BR and then you won’t have such a rough time.

If your focus is Completing the Commendations, I’d probably go to Rumble Pit and try for clean-up kill. Other than that, you’ll need to play inside where the Precision Weapons don’t have as much of an advantage.

This is Halo 4. Aren’t you supposed to adapt?

Halo 3 was often times the opposite problem for me. AR starts honestly ruined the game for me personally. So I feel your pain… only opposite (: I will say it made it all the sweeter when I would make my way to the precision weapon.

Frankly, with how open H4 is, I would recommend adapting (as Vektor pointed out, albeit sarcastically, above (: ).

I feel like team slayer actually has a decent amount of Auto-kill situations. Of course FFA is a great bet too if you can handle it emotionally without wanting to punt a goat. Really anything but BTB should be okay with patience.

I find CQC combat to be the best. With rifles or tight-shotguns that is, because the skill gap is drastically increased when players can out-strafe easier at a closer range, unlike long-range where strafe doesn’t matter.

Automatics, you simply just spray everywhere near an enemy, where even if you miss the shot it doesn’t matter.

I get really annoyed with people that use jet packs and survivor…but i end up just cussing them out and killing them another way. so you just gotta live with it. you either need to find a way to use a precision weapon, or just get over it and face the fact that they’re better than you.

In a game that features a motion tracker, regenerating shields, and where assault rifles have limited range, precision, and deal less damage, and headshots are key, most players will tend to use the weapons that are better suited for their combat situations, have greater range, and allow them to score headshots.

The SAW melts faces quite nicely, better than the AR if you ask me. I find BTB or CTF playlists have the SAW on map spawns a fair amount. Team Action Sack seems like a good fit for less precision based weapons too.