Why Mendicant Bias should've been Halo 5's villain

It may have pissed alot of people off (myself included) that Cortana being the villain of Halo now is a bit odd. We came to love and respect her character over 16 years of this wonderful franchise and mourned with Chief as she died. Come Halo 5 it turns out the death of Cortana was meaningless and the potential to explore new parts of Chief’s character in later games was wasted. I believe that rather than the Didact, Cortana, the Warden or Halsey, Halo 5 should have made Mendicant Bias the game’s main antagonist. For those of you who are unaware, Bias is the most powerful and dangerous AI ever created by the Forerunners, he was made to lead the countless armies and fleets of the Forerunners to confront and destroy the Flood. However he became locked in an extended conversation with the Gravemind and over an extended period of time came to be convinced to betray his masters and go rampant, Hal 9000 style. He came to lead the infected Flood armies instead with his near infinite strategic genius and the Forerunners realised that only by activating the Halo Array could Bias be stopped. The IsoDidact (UrDidact’s clone/student) imprisoned Bias after the rings were fired on the Arc with only one thought allowed to it for 100,000 years; “Atonement”.

Come Halo 3 Bias has had enough time to ponder his actions that he realised the Gravemind was evil and must be stopped, he aided Master Chief indirectly at the end of Halo 3 and basically didn’t appear after that. I’m putting forward that after the death of the Didact, Librarian, Master Builder and any Forerunner authority figure the Warden and Promethean’s turn to the only entity strong enough to lead them, a rehabilitated Mendicant Bias. Bias will reason that to atone for his crimes that resulted in literally the death of the galaxy he will fulfil the Forerunners vision by saving it. Bias would use the Guardians to enforce the Mantle and do what the Didact failed to do. Now if you watch HaloFollowers excellent theory video here >> Halo Infinite - Master Chief's Darkest Secret - YouTube << and think its legit you accept that Chief is the reincarnation of the IsoDidact, the “culmination of a thousand lifetimes of planning” and Bias knows this. Imagine being locked in solitary confinement with only your thoughts to keep you company for 100,000 and the reincarnation of your greatest enemy is there when you get out? How hellbent on vengeance would you be? The motive of Mendicant Bias would be this, to spit on the IsoDidact’s legacy by doing in ten thousand years what the Forerunners couldn’t in millions, to show him that despite being the Creators the Mantle in fact belongs to the Created, the Mendicant Bias. He would lure Chief to the Domain with the ghost of Cortana and reveal himself as the mastermind behind it all, that Cortana is in fact dead.

I will end on this quote from Bias in Halo 3’s final terminal:
“And so here at the end of my life, I do once again betray a former master. The path ahead is fraught with peril. But I will do all I can to keep it stable - keep you safe. I’m not so foolish to think this will absolve me of my sins. One life hardly balances billions.” In Halo 5, Bias would find redemption, by claiming the Mantle and saving the galaxy.
Tell me what you think in the comments below and whether you would have preferred to have Cortana or Mendicant Bias as Halo 5’s main antagonist.

The more Halo games dip into the books for story, the ****tier the storylines become.

> 2615706747871287;2:
> The more Halo games dip into the books for story, the ****tier the storylines become.

Those weren’t from the books, most of the information I used was sourced from Halo 3’s terminals.

I really don’t get why they didn’t go for the Mendicant Bias, it seemed odd that they went with the plot from H5 instead since it felt pretty underwhelming most of the game.

menedict would’ve been so much better then cortana as the villain. why 343 using was a cheap move and they alreasy had the backstory for menedict there. why they chose not to use him i have no idea

> 2533274885993654;3:
> > 2615706747871287;2:
> > The more Halo games dip into the books for story, the ****tier the storylines become.
>
>
> Those weren’t from the books, most of the information I used was sourced from Halo 3’s terminals.

Ok, any optional/supplemental material.

Halo’s story has spiralled out of control as the writers get more and more obsessed with lore (what happened before) instead of writing compelling conflicts and objects for their main, player characters (what’s happening now, what is the player accomplishing).

Frankly, I’m hoping Halo 6 brings nothing from the expanded universe. Chief vs Cortana. That’s the crux, that’s all you need. Any references or nods to the expanded universe should be small, disposable fan service at best.

> 2615706747871287;2:
> The more Halo games dip into the books for story, the ****tier the storylines become.

Um, Halo 4 was Halo’s best story since Halo 2 and so far Halo’s the only video game, and one of few franchises overall, that actually pays attention to it’s extended universe instead of having it exist for fan service.

He is broken in 3 pieces, has another bias designed to beat him, can barely function, and has no known weapons. As for the flood, we don’t know how well the grave mind compares to the primordial.
I rather fight a grunt at least the grunt can shoot back and isn’t impossible to find.

Offensive bias would be interesting to fight if anyone could stood a chance against him.

i would of rather it been mediant bias because quiet frankly the halo 5 story was so cliche. it was like mass effect 3, deus ex human revolution etc. say story “organics vs synthetics” “augmented vs non augmented” “robots vs humans” “AI vs living” etc it was so like “oh god not this again” like last time i ever liked machines against humans was iRobot. now its just as over used as Zombies. Walking Dead is the only new fun zombie tv show thats interesting, anything else is just saying "hey look everyone an other zombie tv show/movie. aren’t we so creative?"i would this it would be more bad -Yoink-. i mean there is rumor that some rings are like delta halo n have flood runnign rampant. halo wars had flood in it and that wasnt even a planet. for all we know flood is still roaming the galaxy since clearly the books suggest the Halos were a fail in a way since it didnt stop the flood. so the idea mediant bias goes to help the flood again would have been nice or just straight up just hates humans and wants to destroy them it would have been nice to see an ancient machine of the forerunner empire set out to destroy the humans rather than a power hungry cortana that talks about peace and uniting created n creators. lol personally i feel halo 6 is all too predictable. i feel like cortana lied and that her original plan was to reactivate the halo rings as shown in the legendary ending. i think she was going to do to john what librarian did to didact. remember halo 2 “IF I WERE A MEGALOMANIAC… and I’m not… that’s where I’d be.”

Remember Arbiter said “The seeds of our future are sown in his past

> 2615706747871287;6:
> > 2533274885993654;3:
> > > 2615706747871287;2:
> > > The more Halo games dip into the books for story, the ****tier the storylines become.
> >
> >
> > Those weren’t from the books, most of the information I used was sourced from Halo 3’s terminals.
>
>
> Ok, any optional/supplemental material.
>
> Halo’s story has spiralled out of control as the writers get more and more obsessed with lore (what happened before) instead of writing compelling conflicts and objects for their main, player characters (what’s happening now, what is the player accomplishing).
>
> Frankly, I’m hoping Halo 6 brings nothing from the expanded universe. Chief vs Cortana. That’s the crux, that’s all you need. Any references or nods to the expanded universe should be small, disposable fan service at best.

I want fan service, I loved that the Didact was the villain in Halo 4 and was hoping that trend would continue with Halo 5, but it didn’t. I love when we see the most fascinating entities and events from the universe and bring them into the games, it gives Halo a sense of epic wonder and awe.

> 2533274909139271;8:
> He is broken in 3 pieces, has another bias designed to beat him, can barely function, and has no known weapons. As for the flood, we don’t know how well the grave mind compares to the primordial.
> I rather fight a grunt at least the grunt can shoot back and isn’t impossible to find.
>
> Offensive bias would be interesting to fight if anyone could stood a chance against him.

Mendicant Bias nearly destroyed the Forerunner Empire. With a Promethean army at his back and a collection of Guardians he would be a VERY powerful foe for humanity indeed.

> 2533274885993654;10:
> > 2615706747871287;6:
> > > 2533274885993654;3:
> > > > 2615706747871287;2:
> > > > The more Halo games dip into the books for story, the ****tier the storylines become.
> > >
> > >
> > > Those weren’t from the books, most of the information I used was sourced from Halo 3’s terminals.
> >
> >
> > Ok, any optional/supplemental material.
> >
> > Halo’s story has spiralled out of control as the writers get more and more obsessed with lore (what happened before) instead of writing compelling conflicts and objects for their main, player characters (what’s happening now, what is the player accomplishing).
> >
> > Frankly, I’m hoping Halo 6 brings nothing from the expanded universe. Chief vs Cortana. That’s the crux, that’s all you need. Any references or nods to the expanded universe should be small, disposable fan service at best.
>
>
> I want fan service, I loved that the Didact was the villain in Halo 4 and was hoping that trend would continue with Halo 5, but it didn’t. I love when we see the most fascinating entities and events from the universe and bring them into the games, it gives Halo a sense of epic wonder and awe.

Didact was absolutely my favorite villain in halo. I wanted him back but After the halo chunk crushed him I’m not sure…

> 2533274885993654;10:
> > 2615706747871287;6:
> > Ok, any optional/supplemental material.
> >
> > Halo’s story has spiralled out of control as the writers get more and more obsessed with lore (what happened before) instead of writing compelling conflicts and objects for their main, player characters (what’s happening now, what is the player accomplishing).
> >
> > Frankly, I’m hoping Halo 6 brings nothing from the expanded universe. Chief vs Cortana. That’s the crux, that’s all you need. Any references or nods to the expanded universe should be small, disposable fan service at best.
>
>
> I want fan service, I loved that the Didact was the villain in Halo 4 and was hoping that trend would continue with Halo 5, but it didn’t. I love when we see the most fascinating entities and events from the universe and bring them into the games, it gives Halo a sense of epic wonder and awe.

Didact was absolutely my favorite villain in halo. I wanted him back but After the halo chunk crushed him I’m not sure…

Remember, Chief said he was “contained, not dead”

> 2533274885993654;13:
> Remember, Chief said he was “contained, not dead”

Was that after he was crushed?

Personally I think the books are great, and enjoy reading about the expanded lore/universe of Halo. I really don’t see a problem with incorporating them into the games. I understand that not everyone reads the book and that causes frustrations for them when they played Halo 4 and the Halo 5 campaigns. I think a simple fix for the would have been using the intel pieces you collect as a side objective to help make the connections, and fill in the gaps that are there for people who didn’t read the books.

> 2533274847563380;14:
> > 2533274885993654;13:
> > Remember, Chief said he was “contained, not dead”
>
>
> Didact?

Yeah. 343 isn’t going to kill off on of it’s best villains in a comic. Truth be told I was convinced he was gonna be revealed to be the Warden Eternal after being composed.

> 2533274885993654;16:
> > 2533274847563380;14:
> > > 2533274885993654;13:
> > > Remember, Chief said he was “contained, not dead”
> >
> >
> > Didact?
>
>
> Yeah. 343 isn’t going to kill off on of it’s best villains in a comic. Truth be told I was convinced he was gonna be revealed to be the Warden Eternal after being composed.

That sounds right, I honestly wanted him to come back in halo 5, but hopefully halo 6 will bring him back full force.

> 2533274847563380;14:
> > 2533274885993654;13:
> > Remember, Chief said he was “contained, not dead”
>
>
> Didact?

Yeah, it was in a comic, Chief composed the Didact or something like that.

> 2533274915643658;18:
> > 2533274847563380;14:
> > > 2533274885993654;13:
> > > Remember, Chief said he was “contained, not dead”
> >
> >
> > Didact?
>
>
> Yeah, it was in a comic, Chief composed the Didact or something like that.

Correct.

> 2533274885993654;19:
> > 2533274915643658;18:
> > > 2533274847563380;14:
> > > > 2533274885993654;13:
> > > > Remember, Chief said he was “contained, not dead”
> > >
> > >
> > > Didact?
> >
> >
> > Yeah, it was in a comic, Chief composed the Didact or something like that.
>
>
> Correct.

Only reason I know that is from Halopedia and reading on the Waypoint forums, because I don’t really read the expanded universe novels. I think my last Halo book was Ghosts of Onyx.