Why isn't ONI its own branch?

ONI is a branch of the UNSC, which is a branch of the UEG. ONI serves as the naval intelligence for the UNSC. But here’s something I’m wondering, why isn’t ONI a branch unto itself under the UEG? Like in the US, the CIA serves the government directly, and doesn’t report to the Secretary of Defense. This seems a bit strange to me, as it seems.

The Clue is in the Navy bit… Seriously though they are a part of the military and would fall under the UNSCDF. aswell as gathering, processing and analyzing national security information from around the galaxy, they also develop asymmetrical warfare and black ops projects to be utilized by the other branches of the military. The halo equivilent of the CIA is the DSA (Department of Colonial Security) dedicated to monitoring the Inner and Outer Colonies. ONI also does what the U.S ONI does so it being a branch of it own is a bit odd when they are essentially the navys R&D/Intelligence agency

The DCS was incorporated into the Office of Naval Intelligence by then-Captain Margaret Parangosky when the CAA “fell from grace” because no other agency wanted it.
Halo: Mortal Dictata

Office of NAVAL Intelligence.

I’m still wondering if there is and Office of Army Intelligence or Office of Air Force Intelligence… To be honest considering how much ONI handles and how little of it actually has to do with the Navy, the UNSC should just change the name to something more broad. Office of Naval Intelligence seems to imply there are other intelligence services when in reality anything espionage or surveillance is under ONI.

> 2533274974597111;4:
> I’m still wondering if there is and Office of Army Intelligence or Office of Air Force Intelligence… To be honest considering how much ONI handles and how little of it actually has to do with the Navy, the UNSC should just change the name to something more broad. Office of Naval Intelligence seems to imply there are other intelligence services when in reality anything espionage or surveillance is under ONI.

Hahaha true. They seem more focused on government secrets and covert operations than helping the Navy of the UNSC. They should just be the Office of Intelligence…

ONI operates with the UNSC Navy. (Office of Naval Intelligence.)

> 2533274840469109;5:
> > 2533274974597111;4:
> > I’m still wondering if there is and Office of Army Intelligence or Office of Air Force Intelligence… To be honest considering how much ONI handles and how little of it actually has to do with the Navy, the UNSC should just change the name to something more broad. Office of Naval Intelligence seems to imply there are other intelligence services when in reality anything espionage or surveillance is under ONI.
>
>
> Hahaha true. They seem more focused on government secrets and covert operations than helping the Navy of the UNSC. They should just be the Office of Intelligence…

Agreed. 343 take this into account, maybe if something drastic happens to ONI in Guardians you can have it be renamed to Office of Intelligence or something else in a comic. Or you know have ONI actually do stuff with the Navy…

Navy is a very broad term used by the UNSC to pretty much refer to anything operating on a multi-planetary level. Therefore a lot of what they do does involve the navy.

Also, it seems weird that ONI is associated with the government than with the UNSC. Maybe ONI is closer related to the feds than other parts of the UNSC, maybe this is just me…

> 2533274974597111;4:
> I’m still wondering if there is and Office of Army Intelligence or Office of Air Force Intelligence… To be honest considering how much ONI handles and how little of it actually has to do with the Navy, the UNSC should just change the name to something more broad. Office of Naval Intelligence seems to imply there are other intelligence services when in reality anything espionage or surveillance is under ONI.

The Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps likely have their own organic intelligence units in the same manner that ONI Section One handles the fleet intelligence role for the Navy. It’s implied that the Army and Air Force don’t particularly care for ONI’s influence according to Colonel Urban Holland.

Like nowadays there’s the Office of Naval Intelligence in the Department of the Navy that serves across the entire Fleet. The United States Marine Corps still has it’s own intelligence battalions to conduct surveillance and analysis in support of the Marine Air-Ground Task Force to counter opposing forces. The United States Army has tens of thousands of troops in multiple brigades for similar roles.

Also, it seems that ONI has authority over the Marines, Army, and Air Force. I guess ONI is just its own branch that just uses the term naval.

How many alien space ships did the Army or Air Force blow up during the war? Not many.

The Navy fought and won the war against a much more powerful foe. And it was all due to the research that it’s intelligence agency, ONI did.

> 2533274840469109;11:
> Also, it seems that ONI has authority over the Marines, Army, and Air Force. I guess ONI is just its own branch that just uses the term naval.

Don’t think they have any authority over the other branches (well, maybe the Marines since they are a subbranch of the Navy just like ONI). They can make requests, but they wouldn’t be able to, say, order the Army to do anything they dont want to do without authorization from HIGHCOM.

And to address the original post, i think that while ONI has grown much bigger than just mere subbranch of the Navy, they prefer being being part of the Navy organization. It’s the most useful branch for interstellar intelligence activities anyhow.

> 2535466940321820;12:
> How many alien space ships did the Army or Air Force blow up during the war? Not many.
>
> The Navy fought and won the war against a much more powerful foe. And it was all due to the research that it’s intelligence agency, ONI did.

Except the research wasn’t just used for the Navy For example Air Assault helmet is used by Army airborne special operations. :confused:
Army forces were deployed on Reach and they fought with Noble Team. Also ONI doesn’t do everything related to the Navy just because it is Office of Naval Intelligence. All of it’s black operations, it’s high tech research, all of that is done on its own and not for the purpose of the Navy. With the exception being the Spartan Program. The Navy didn’t win the war alone, they need the Army and ONI.

> 2533274865717713;13:
> > 2533274840469109;11:
> > Also, it seems that ONI has authority over the Marines, Army, and Air Force. I guess ONI is just its own branch that just uses the term naval.
>
>
> Don’t think they have any authority over the other branches (well, maybe the Marines since they are a subbranch of the Navy just like ONI). They can make requests, but they wouldn’t be able to, say, order the Army to do anything they dont want to do without authorization from HIGHCOM.
>
> And to address the original post, i think that while ONI has grown much bigger than just mere subbranch of the Navy, they prefer being being part of the Navy organization. It’s the most useful branch for interstellar intelligence activities anyhow.

Wrong.
Halsey, a civilian from section three, ordered Noble Team (army) to do what she wanted. With this I don’t mean that ONI can officially control units of other branches, but in facts they do. And when it’s complicated they invent a mission and then change the orders when the needed units are on place, as we have seen last time in escalation.

ONI in some ways is a branch itself, as they have a seat at security council with navy, army, etc, and in others it’s seen as even an alternative to UNSC, thanks mostly to our imagination and some Travis work too. But officially it’s Navy, and this because Navy is the most important branch and it makes sense for ONI to be there if they want to do anything related with space and ships.

> 2533274974597111;4:
> I’m still wondering if there is and Office of Army Intelligence or Office of Air Force Intelligence… To be honest considering how much ONI handles and how little of it actually has to do with the Navy, the UNSC should just change the name to something more broad. Office of Naval Intelligence seems to imply there are other intelligence services when in reality anything espionage or surveillance is under ONI.

In both the original and the rerelease version of The Fall of Reach refers to a group called “UNSC Military Intelligence Division” I can’t remember 100% how it was used in the book but halopidea says its referring to ONI. If it is, then it could be a section of ONI that deals with other branches of the UNSC.

> 2533274881534340;15:
> > 2533274865717713;13:
> > > 2533274840469109;11:
> > > Also, it seems that ONI has authority over the Marines, Army, and Air Force. I guess ONI is just its own branch that just uses the term naval.
> >
> >
> > Don’t think they have any authority over the other branches (well, maybe the Marines since they are a subbranch of the Navy just like ONI). They can make requests, but they wouldn’t be able to, say, order the Army to do anything they dont want to do without authorization from HIGHCOM.
> >
> > And to address the original post, i think that while ONI has grown much bigger than just mere subbranch of the Navy, they prefer being being part of the Navy organization. It’s the most useful branch for interstellar intelligence activities anyhow.
>
>
> Wrong.
> Halsey, a civilian from section three, ordered Noble Team (army) to do what she wanted. With this I don’t mean that ONI can officially control units of other branches, but in facts they do. And when it’s complicated they invent a mission and then change the orders when the needed units are on place, as we have seen last time in escalation.

She briefed the team as authorized by HIGHCOM. Thats quite a bit diffrent from giving direct orders she herself made up. Regardless, she had HIGHCOM approval. Now, ONI might have considerable influence over HIGHCOM but that does not give them ANY direct authority over any military units not part of ONI without prior approval which was the argument here.

> 2533274865717713;17:
> > 2533274881534340;15:
> > > 2533274865717713;13:
> > > > 2533274840469109;11:
> > > > Also, it seems that ONI has authority over the Marines, Army, and Air Force. I guess ONI is just its own branch that just uses the term naval.
> > >
> > >
> > > Don’t think they have any authority over the other branches (well, maybe the Marines since they are a subbranch of the Navy just like ONI). They can make requests, but they wouldn’t be able to, say, order the Army to do anything they dont want to do without authorization from HIGHCOM.
> > >
> > > And to address the original post, i think that while ONI has grown much bigger than just mere subbranch of the Navy, they prefer being being part of the Navy organization. It’s the most useful branch for interstellar intelligence activities anyhow.
> >
> >
> > Wrong.
> > Halsey, a civilian from section three, ordered Noble Team (army) to do what she wanted. With this I don’t mean that ONI can officially control units of other branches, but in facts they do. And when it’s complicated they invent a mission and then change the orders when the needed units are on place, as we have seen last time in escalation.
>
>
> She briefed the team as authorized by HIGHCOM. Thats quite a bit diffrent from giving direct orders she herself made up. Regardless, she had HIGHCOM approval. Now, ONI might have considerable influence over HIGHCOM but that does not give them ANY direct authority over any military units not part of ONI without prior approval which was the argument here.

What?
First of all, ONI does not take orders from HIGHCOM and rarely (never say never, but this can be a case) we have seen them ask HIGHCOM for approval.
Secondly as I said if they can’t do it otherwise they make up a false mission to get the units on place and then change orders at last.

Where did you read that Halsey had HIGHCOM approval??? I’m pretty certain that this is wrong… For sure not Earth HIGHCOM. But even Reach one, I checked the sources they don’t talk about HIGHCOM.

Watching a vid for Nightfall, they describe ONI as being the CIA/KGB of Halo. They’re probably part of the UNSC because for the most part they recruit soldiers with some civilians such as Ben. I wonder if they’re not the Halo equivalent of the CIA, why we haven’t seen the other intelligence agencies for the Army or Air Force.

> 2533274840469109;19:
> Watching a vid for Nightfall, they describe ONI as being the CIA/KGB of Halo. They’re probably part of the UNSC because for the most part they recruit soldiers with some civilians such as Ben. I wonder if they’re not the Halo equivalent of the CIA, why we haven’t seen the other intelligence agencies for the Army or Air Force.

Because the Navy is by far the most important branch of any space-faring military.