Why isn't Johnson viable 1v1?

Hi. Was reading a lot about Johnson and I was thinking about buying this leader and specializing myself on it since i found that his powers would fit the strategies i tend to use and i simply liked it. But, I’m reading lots of information on the web/forums saying that it isn’t viable in the current meta 1v1. I only play 1v1. So, my questions are:

• Why is it unviable in the 1v1 current meta? - Whats the meta? - **And can i make it viable if i specialize myself on it?**Thanks in advance.

Kyltz,

I believe the main reason that he isn’t viable in 1v1 is his leader powers all focus on his mechs, which just aren’t that cost effective. They have received an indirect buff because anti-vehicle infantry will be nerfed, but I don’t know if that will cut it.

cuz forges hog

yeah Johnson is interesting but his mechs are just not that good. Mantis got the indirect buff but colossus got a indirect Nerf as well. His Colossus are a super not viable for their cost and with no economy help or cheaper unit leader power he just falls flat. Digging in deep doesn’t come soon enough, most people have two bases with full building by the time you get to Digging in Deep so it can become a wasted leader power.

> 2533274899499504;1:
> - Why is it unviable in the 1v1 current meta? - Whats the meta? - And can i make it viable if i specialize myself on it?

I’ll wait to answer these questions because we’re on the verge of a patch that’ll shake up the meta.

After the patch this week he will be more viable. Bunker drop will cost no population and his mechs are getting a slight buff indirectly cause Cyclops and hunters are going to do 31% less damage to them. He is a very good team leader late game especially with combat salvage.
His hero is decent also alone with the bunker.

There are a good many issues. I might be able to write a thesis paper on Johnson.

I think the main issues are that:

1. like breezy said, his units are not cost effective for what they are and how they perform. That may change with the next patch somewhat.

2. Despite him relying on very expensive mechs, he doesn’t have any leader powers that can boost his economy. And the powers he does have don’t do very well at keeping him alive until he can get his mechs out and upgraded.

All that said, he’s super fun to use. He would be worth getting, because I think they will continue to improve his viability in future patches.

Thank you all for the very helpful answers.

Before the forgehog meta I would occasionally run him in 2v2s and I was surprisingly very effective. His main weakness is that it takes him far too long to reach his full steam roll potential. I would recommend to use his bunker drop, infantry, and high DPS hero unit to secure power nodes. Don’t play him aggressively. His strengths come into play when defending a push and then counter attacking quickly by using the pelican drop power. Use his combat salvage and bunker drop to help defend against your enemies attacks. Then use the emp mac blast and mech overdrive to break your opponents defense when your on the counter attack. I’ve had the most success using him in this sort of block then hit kind of playstyle. just keep in mind that although this may sound good on paper, it is much harder to pull off in practice due to johsons lack of effective economic support powers and because he is slow to build up when it comes to his heavy mech units.

I don’t think he is as bad as people say he is. I do regularly beat people in top 100 with Johnson. Maybe at the very very highest level he will struggle but you should not have many issues other wise.

I think people don’t realize how effective early bunkers and the mac blast are. Also good use of remote sensors gives you a big scouting advantage. Why buy scouts when you can drop a bunker on hill next to opponents base for permanent vision on it?

He is also very good support leader in 3v3. Also I never use colossus, just mantis and sniper armies unless game goes on forever.

> 2533274843762975;9:
> Before the forgehog meta I would occasionally run him in 2v2s and I was surprisingly very effective. His main weakness is that it takes him far too long to reach his full steam roll potential. I would recommend to use his bunker drop, infantry, and high DPS hero unit to secure power nodes. Don’t play him aggressively. His strengths come into play when defending a push and then counter attacking quickly by using the pelican drop power. Use his combat salvage and bunker drop to help defend against your enemies attacks. Then use the emp mac blast and mech overdrive to break your opponents defense when your on the counter attack. I’ve had the most success using him in this sort of block then hit kind of playstyle. just keep in mind that although this may sound good on paper, it is much harder to pull off in practice due to johsons lack of effective economic support powers and because he is slow to build up when it comes to his heavy mech units.

Thanks for the great reply. I’m gonna try playing this out, since i’m here just to have fun and i found these mantis amazing…

Kyltz.

> 2641843709990435;10:
> I don’t think he is as bad as people say he is. I do regularly beat people in top 100 with Johnson. Maybe at the very very highest level he will struggle but you should not have many issues other wise.
>
> I think people don’t realize how effective early bunkers and the mac blast are. Also good use of remote sensors gives you a big scouting advantage. Why buy scouts when you can drop a bunker on hill next to opponents base for permanent vision on it?
>
> He is also very good support leader in 3v3. Also I never use colossus, just mantis and sniper armies unless game goes on forever.

yea people are constantly underestimating him

> 2533274899499504;1:
> Hi. Was reading a lot about Johnson and I was thinking about buying this leader and specializing myself on it since i found that his powers would fit the strategies i tend to use and i simply liked it. But, I’m reading lots of information on the web/forums saying that it isn’t viable in the current meta 1v1. I only play 1v1. So, my questions are:
>
>
> - Why is it unviable in the 1v1 current meta? - Whats the meta? - **And can i make it viable if i specialize myself on it?**Thanks in advance.
>
> Kyltz,

Bunker change might change things. The actually biggest change you’ll see is when Hunters and Cyclops do less damage to Mantis because a quick T3 will give his power spike a huge boots.

I was top 25 (1 of 2 Johnsons ib top 100) in his rralease season. He is very good for infantry rushes, and well, thats it. All just leave it at this, you better let your opponent feel your wrath early game becuse Johnsons mid game is non existent

He is surprisingly fun to play. I started playing him this season because there was no reason not to (the game was broken anyway). I won more often with him than I expected.

Agree with all the analysis above, however. He could be better.