Why isn't Chief bitter at the UNSC?

So I always assumed that the Chief was just completely hard wired and indoctrinated into serving the UNSC. To him it is a completely simple case of the UEG=humanity and everything I do serves humanity. Even if it involved massacring innocent people or murdering political dissidents. He would have done that without qualm; its just the Halo universe keeps throwing him against various evil aliens. So he has been completely indoctrinated. Indeed in Halo 4 introduction Halsey describes how “childrens minds are more easily indoctrinated”.

Which is fine until in Halo 5 during the Breaking mission in response to Cortana saying she is going to remake the galaxy in her image the Chief likens this to what Halsey did to him. Now, if he accepts that what they did to him was wrong. You know, the abduction, taking him away from his parents, the years of physical and emotional torture, the illegal conscription of a minor without legislation being passed an elected assembly and being forced to murder people asking for more political rights. That stuff.

Well, why does he still work for the UNSC?

If he feels like they robbed him of his life and committed some great crime against him and his fellow Spartans (which they did) then why is the Chief okay continuing to serve this clearly fascist regime? I mean correct me if I am wrong but Halsey did not live in some mountaintop lair where she plotted her nefarious designs? This was a government led, military project and one which could not have happened without power figures within that state backing it. They share the blame. Near as I can tell nobody except Halsey seems to have been held to account. To the point of that embarrassing scene where ONI give her a moral lecture on the project they ordered her to do…

To put it simply: where else would he go? He’s a warrior, after all. John was trained to protect humanity. How better to do so than with the UNSC?

Could be for the fact that he was raised in the UNSC. So it basically became his only home, and the people close to him in the UNSC (especially his fellow Spartans) became a family to him.

> 2533274803587475;1:
> So I always assumed that the Chief was just completely hard wired and indoctrinated into serving the UNSC. To him it is a completely simple case of the UEG=humanity and everything I do serves humanity. Even if it involved massacring innocent people or murdering political dissidents. He would have done that without qualm; its just the Halo universe keeps throwing him against various evil aliens. So he has been completely indoctrinated. Indeed in Halo 4 introduction Halsey describes how “childrens minds are more easily indoctrinated”.
>
> Which is fine until in Halo 5 during the Breaking mission in response to Cortana saying she is going to remake the galaxy in her image the Chief likens this to what Halsey did to him. Now, if he accepts that what they did to him was wrong. You know, the abduction, taking him away from his parents, the years of physical and emotional torture, the illegal conscription of a minor without legislation being passed an elected assembly and being forced to murder people asking for more political rights. That stuff.
>
> Well, why does he still work for the UNSC?
>
> If he feels like they robbed him of his life and committed some great crime against him and his fellow Spartans (which they did) then why is the Chief okay continuing to serve this clearly fascist regime? I mean correct me if I am wrong but Halsey did not live in some mountaintop lair where she plotted her nefarious designs? This was a government led, military project and one which could not have happened without power figures within that state backing it. They share the blame. Near as I can tell nobody except Halsey seems to have been held to account. To the point of that embarrassing scene where ONI give her a moral lecture on the project they ordered her to do…

If I remember correctly,Fred said to someone that he was given a purpose and probably wouldn’t have been anything of significance or even alive when the covenant presented themselves

Bunch of reasons really. Its all he’s known, its what he’s good at, what he was literally MADE for…
The other options are go rouge (impossible for an S-II, even when Blue went AWOL, they were doing so for the betterment of the UNSC and humanity as a whole, hoping ot retrieve Cortana, a valuable asset) or…well, do nothing.
And Spartan-IIs NEVER do nothing.

Well the UEG/UNSC does not equal humanity any more than the Soviet Union did. Most governments today can barely claim to represent the people within their own nations at the best of times and certainly not if people on Earth get represented. If you have the realization that your government is evil then the logical thing to do is to either refuse to work for it, or to actively seek its overthrow. Otherwise you would have situations like him being asked to, again, murder political dissidents and their sympathizers. Its not like in Starship Troopers where none of the characters care or acknowledge the evils of their own society. If the Chief sees the rot it runs counter to his characterization as a hero to continue slavishly working for an evil regime.

Just as an aside, the only reason the Federation in Starship Troopers are the “good guys” is because like the UNSC they just happen to be fighting a war of annihilation for humanities survival. I mean what exactly has the UNSC/UEG done to merit being called the good guys aside from just happening to be in the path of various genocidal aliens and AI Overlords?

> 2533274982219444;3:
> Could be for the fact that he was raised in the UNSC. So it basically became his only home, and the people close to him in the UNSC (especially his fellow Spartans) became a family to him.

Which is exactly why Halo 4’s ending was so representational. His old home was supposed to have shattered with Cortana disappearing(and represented by the Didact’s ship debris falling behind him) and Cortana was welcoming John(not Chief) to Earth - his “new” home, humanity. (“Wake up, Chief - I need you.” “Welcome home, John.”)

> 2533274974033696;7:
> > 2533274982219444;3:
> >
>
> Which is exactly why Halo 4’s ending was so representational. His old home was supposed to have shattered with Cortana disappearing(and represented by the Didact’s ship debris falling behind him) and Cortana was welcoming John(not Chief) to Earth - his “new” home, humanity. (“Wake up, Chief - I need you.” “Welcome home, John.”)

Wow do I like this. Well said.

> 2533274961806222;8:
> > 2533274974033696;7:
> > > 2533274982219444;3:
> > >
> >
> > Which is exactly why Halo 4’s ending was so representational. His old home was supposed to have shattered with Cortana disappearing(and represented by the Didact’s ship debris falling behind him) and Cortana was welcoming John(not Chief) to Earth - his “new” home, humanity. (“Wake up, Chief - I need you.” “Welcome home, John.”)
>
> Wow do I like this. Well said.

Thanks. I loved how much theme and metaphor went into Halo 4. It really, really makes me sad that Halo 5 wasn’t the same.