Why is this game so "money driven?"

So let’s go back to the good old Halo 3 days.

You bought the game, and everything was included. Maps, the campaign, you could easily unlock all the armor, achievements, did not have to buy anything to get to that 100% complete status…until…they released map packs with some achievements added on…

but…these map packs revolutionized the game in various ways, think how influential Foundry was, and than Sandbox, and than think about how dull BTB would have been if all you had was Valhalla, and Sandbox. They were maps worth getting, and greatly enhanced the game.

The only “blocked” content was “Recon”, and “Flaming Recon”, which they gave out to special people who actually deserved it for doing something amazing for Bungie.

Than things…started going downhill…

“Get Recon, and Maps if you buy ODST” - This basically ended the series.

Made a video long ago of my H3 screenshots, and still watch it today in memory:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTSP0P3tB1k

343i= greedy mofos

I have read some interesting things on this Forum…

But this is the oddest complaint I’ve heard in a while…

DLC and incentivising buying the game ruined the series…

YEAH, THAT’S WHAT IT WAS! The Pre-Order Bonuses, those evil fiends…

Sweet baked beans, I know this game DOES have problems, but you’ll be telling me it’s the sodding Avatars next…

Because Halo 3/4 are the only games to ever feature map packs, ever.

And if they make it someone or everyone will want to buy it.

> I have read some interesting things on this Forum…
>
> But this is the oddest complaint I’ve heard in a while…
>
> DLC and incentivising buying the game ruined the series…

The real concern, is “blocking content” we should have had, and taking away content to make money. Many game companies have started to do this, and it’ sad. When I buy a game, I want full access to everything it contains or be notified beforehand of all the content I’ll be blocked from.

Because Microsoft has greater control than ever before.

> Because Halo 3/4 are the only games to ever feature map packs, ever.

My post is the beginning, you must think on…

And yes, at this age, map packs are a scam in itself. Look at the Xbox 360 Far Cry 2 Map Editor (released during the same time as Halo 3)

Ive been playing ME3 online for sometime. And take my word for it EA have mastered the art of extracting money out of people for playing their games. (you can buy DLC in that game and end up with nothing)

343 are not ripping us off we get to play all the game use all the weapons as and when. just have to pay for some more Maps which tbh im more than happy to do as i feel so far ive had my moneys worth. Thanks to 343i.

I’m so sick of seeing this thread.

It’s called the Game Industry — not the game charity. Obviously they’re going to do what sells games (especially this game, have you seen the budget for it? they had a lot of money to make back).

Yes, there are changes from previous installments in the series. Of course not everyone is going to be thrilled about every single one of them… (That would be kind of weird right? Imagine this whole forum was just full of “WOOOHOO YOU GUYS ROCK 343i” posts. That would be like an alternate universe for the gaming community. I digress.) The important part (and the often glossed over or half-realized part) is that 343i pay attention to their base now and figure out what works and what doesn’t for the next installment.

> > Because Halo 3/4 are the only games to ever feature map packs, ever.
>
> My post is the beginning, you must think on…
>
> And yes, at this age, map packs are a scam in itself. Look at the Xbox 360 Far Cry 2 Map Editor (released during the same time as Halo 3)

Map packs have been around since before Xbox 360, bro.

> So let’s go back to the good old Halo 3 days.
>
> You bought the game, and everything was included. Maps, the campaign, you could easily unlock all the armor, achievements, did not have to buy anything to get to that 100% complete status…until…they released map packs with some achievements added on…
>
> but…these map packs revolutionized the game in various ways, think how influential Foundry was, and than Sandbox, and than think about how dull BTB would have been if all you had was Valhalla, and Sandbox. They were maps worth getting, and greatly enhanced the game.
>
> The only “blocked” content was “Recon”, and “Flaming Recon”, which they gave out to special people who actually deserved it for doing something amazing for Bungie.
>
> Than things…started going downhill…
>
> “Get Recon, and Maps if you buy ODST” - This basically ended the series.
>
> Made a video long ago of my H3 screenshots, and still watch it today in memory:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTSP0P3tB1k

Halo is a business bro, always has been, always will. It is a product and a brand just like Oreo, Ford, or Nokia.

Money makes the human world go round, deal with it since it will never change.

This thread really just blows my mind. Why would any company put man hours and effort into designing new levels or an expansion pack and not get paid for their work? Those money sucking fiends!..

This school of thought simplified into a single sentence: “I can’t believe microsoft wants to make money!”

Because Microsoft doesn’t have enough money.

Microsoft, and the fact that 343 is trying to go head to head with cod, but failed miserably.

> Because Microsoft doesn’t have enough money.

Unfortunately there a very few companies who feel that there huge profits are enough and therefore they squeeze money out of places previously believed to be unsqueezable. It’s one of the many reasons I currently have no motivation to buy new games or future consoles.

> This thread really just blows my mind. Why would any company put man hours and effort into designing new levels or an expansion pack and not get paid for their work? Those money sucking fiends!..

Idk you’ll have to ask Valve or even the majority of the modding community.

EDIT: Not saying that I have a problem with paying for DLC, I’m just saying some people do it because they like doing it and some companies have found a way to make it a working business model.

The one thing I find humorous is when people forget that 343i, -Yoink!-, etc are all businesses. They make products (in this case video games) to earn money. That’s how they make a living. To think that a company makes video games for the pure enjoyment for all mankind is foolish.

Do people work at Pizza Hut for the sheer enjoyment of providing people with pizzas? Do people work at Best Buy because they have an altruistic nature and want to help people find the right plasma tv for their lives? OR, do people work jobs and sell products to help them make money? The video game industry is no different.

If you want free games, go to Kongregate or some other independent site. But, what you’ll eventually find on those sites is that the games that are the most successful will either start coming with in-game purchases (that are near impossible to avoid if you really want to make it through the game) or the game itself will be purchased by a larger company to be resold to a larger market of people.

DLC, other ancillary products (Dew/Doritos XP), et al are all successful practices for profit. This model works because there’s demand for it. Gamers want stuff…so companies sell various armor, they sell map packs, etc. If players didn’t want these things, they wouldn’t buy them, and the companies would have to find a different way to earn money.

Great thread