Why is the halo comunity so fixed on the chief

This is something i have been wondering since halo reach, why there is so much cry out to always have the masterchief.
I know a lot of people followed him through 1 2 & 3. He has become a symbl of the franchise.
But it seems like with a big part of the comunity is like a little child with his green kuddle blanket, take it away and they cry forever untill they have it back…
It seems this way when it goes the halo story…
Maybe these person just cry the loudest,so what are your thoughts?

How would you feel about Mortal Kombat without Liu Kang?
Star Wars without Luke Skywalker?
The NFL without the Buffalo Bills?
I mean… do you realize what you are saying here?

It’s like Star Trek without Spock

> 2533274797328974;2:
> How would you feel about Mortal Kombat without Liu Kang?
> Star Wars without Luke Skywalker?
> The NFL without the Buffalo Bills?
> I mean… do you realize what you are saying here?

i do. But this is extremly hard to find of new ways to present another halo game/book/show/ whatever if you are bouned that much to the chief.
343 is trying to bring in new characters, like locke(who is a failiure of writting characters in my mind)
i did not said to remove the chief, but to give new characters a chance of becoming fan loved.

> 2533274797328974;2:

Admittedly I dont play much MK, but I’ve never seen its fans all that obsessed with the character.

> 2533274797328974;2:

He’s not in 2 movies, and barely has 5 minutes in 2 others.

> 2535455850878312;3:
> It’s like Star Trek without Spock

There’s like…4 entire series and 2? movies without spock. He may have made a cameo in an episode of 1-2 of the series though.

I don’t see the lack of any of these chars getting the same reaction that halo fans get with chief.

> 2535414341107016;4:
> 343 is trying to bring in new characters, like locke(who is a failiure of writting characters in my mind)

Honestly the dropping of the hunting chief plot was a major blow to him. Its pretty clear that was to be the main focus of his character arc in 5. Having to hunt a hero is a pretty grim task how he comes to terms with that would have been some great writing.

Instead he just cleans up the covies for the majority of the game and feels completely disassociated with the chief and cortana story.

> 2533274797328974;2:

You gotta go harder then those man

Like a hot dog without the bun
Pizza without the sauce
Fruit salad without the fruit

> 2533274964189700;5:
> > 2533274797328974;2:
> > How would you feel about Mortal Kombat without Liu Kang?
>
>
> Admittedly I dont play much MK, but I’ve never seen its fans all that obsessed with the character.
>
>
>
>
> > 2533274797328974;2:
> > Star Wars without Luke Skywalker?
>
>
> He’s not in 2 movies, and barely has 5 minutes in 2 others.
>
>
>
>
> > 2535455850878312;3:
> > It’s like Star Trek without Spock
>
>
> There’s like…4 entire series and 2? movies without spock. He may have made a cameo in an episode of 1-2 of the series though.
>
> I don’t see the lack of any of these chars getting the same reaction that halo fans get with chief.

Admittedly, Sub Zero probably would have been a better character to go with… I’m not sure what your age is but if they made MK3 without Sub Zero, or Liu Kang really, people probably would have lost their -Yoink-.

Maybe you’re right as it pertains to Luke… He wasn’t in a few of the movies and no one got too bent out of shape.

It worked with ODST and Reach, but we weren’t expecting Chief in those games. I don’t expect Chief to be in every future Halo title, but we need some solid characters moving forward that can fill his role. We got a taste of that with H5, but there was a lack of backstory and the characters felt shallow which led to me being disappointed that Chief wasn’t in more missions.

> UrbaneRocket495:
> “Honestly the dropping of the hunting chief plot was a major blow to him. Its pretty clear that was to be the main focus of his character arc in 5. Having to hunt a hero is a pretty grim task how he comes to terms with that would have been some great writing.Instead he just cleans up the covies for the majority of the game and feels completely disassociated with the chief and cortana story.”

Maybe, but in halo 5 he is just there, no strugle, no persolnal motivation,nothing, an empty shell, which cold have been better replaced with a nameless spartan (reach style)

> 2533274797328974;2:

Well, Star Wars doesn’t need Luke. it needs Vader (good or evil)
Mortal Kombat just needs raiden. :wink:

> 2535414341107016;9:
> > UrbaneRocket495:
> > “Honestly the dropping of the hunting chief plot was a major blow to him. Its pretty clear that was to be the main focus of his character arc in 5. Having to hunt a hero is a pretty grim task how he comes to terms with that would have been some great writing.Instead he just cleans up the covies for the majority of the game and feels completely disassociated with the chief and cortana story.”
>
>
> Maybe, but in halo 5 he is just there, no strugle, no persolnal motivation,nothing, an empty shell, which cold have been better replaced with a nameless spartan (reach style)

Oh I certainly agree that’s what he ended up being. Which is a shame.

Halo to me is about discovering new and exciting worlds that almost seem impossible in reality.

I honestly don’t care who I play as, as long as they shut the hell up and injoy the scenery as much as I do.

Almost every series has a character that is associated with that series. If that character is removed, then the community riots. Just imagine The Walking Dead without Rick Grimes.

> 2533274900911359;13:
> Almost every series has a character that is associated with that series. If that character is removed, then the community riots. Just imagine The Walking Dead without Rick Grimes.

Mmm… see that could happen bruv… don’t think the TV show goes along with the comics…

lol

OP, you win the award for asking a question with the most obvious answer.

> 2533274991067213;15:
> OP, you win the award for asking a question with the most obvious answer.

thanks it was very hard to fin a casual topic to shitchat about, thank you sir

I’m ok with a game without MC but it has to be done the right way. I think the universe has many stories it can offer that don’t involve him.

> 2535414341107016;16:
> > 2533274991067213;15:
> > OP, you win the award for asking a question with the most obvious answer.
>
>
> thanks it was very hard to fin a casual topic to shitchat about, thank you sir

Bypassing the swear filter will get you a slap on the wrist, young man.

> 2533274991067213;18:
> > 2535414341107016;16:
> > > 2533274991067213;15:
> > > OP, you win the award for asking a question with the most obvious answer.
> >
> >
> > thanks it was very hard to fin a casual topic to shitchat about, thank you sir
>
>
> Bypassing the swear filter will get you a slap on the wrist, young man.

well my bad :smiley:

Chief should have died in Halo 3 and paved way for other characters like Buck, novela Palmer, Locke, R’tas, and Thel. Chief has been milked dry and needs to rest, 343i is so scared to kill him off I stopped caring about his well being. Isn’t that the point of a story surrounded in heavy combat? To fear for the characters?