Why is the Championship 18+ only?

I was just wanting some sort of answer for it because when they first announced the tournament, 343 didn’t really clarify much about it. I started playing Rumble Pit and got really hyped for this tournament and then 343 came out and said 18+. Does anybody know what the reasoning for that is because I know every other tournament with a large payout is normally any age with parental consent or even 17+ with parental consent. Call of Duty’s Championship was 17+ with parental consent, so why can’t this Halo’s be?

That is just the law I think. Most contests/tournaments usually have you be at least 18. Which sucks for me considering that I am 15.

Every tournament in my recent memory(aside from the first Halo 4 tournament)has been 17+ at the VERY least. All I’m trying to get across is if previous tournaments have pulled off parental consent, I don’t understand why this one can not.

> Every tournament in my recent memory(aside from the first Halo 4 tournament)has been 17+ at the VERY least. All I’m trying to get across is if previous tournaments have pulled off parental consent, I don’t understand why this one can not.

It will certainly be due to laws in various regions. Even if they can have it open to every age, you can be sure they have to jump through a number of hoops to make it legal.

Can you link/name said tournaments?

I googled the COD championship you mentioned and took this from their FAQS

> All participants must be at least 18 years of age to qualify through the Black Ops II World League in game. See official rules for more details. For regional qualification events, please visit MLG here and ESL here for eligibility requirements.
> link

I can’t 100% tell what that means since I’ve rarely played BO2. You may have been able to play at 17 in your region, but you certainly weren’t allowed to qualify, and in other regions you may not have been able to play at all. In H4 they have blanket restrictions across all regions.

> Every tournament in my recent memory(aside from the first Halo 4 tournament)has been 17+ at the VERY least. All I’m trying to get across is if previous tournaments have pulled off parental consent, I don’t understand why this one can not.

They aren’t going to fly parents/guardians to Washington to watch minors.

BTW - if you weren’t eligible for the last Halo tournament, why did you get “really hyped” for this one?

> I can’t 100% tell what that means since I’ve rarely played BO2. You may have been able to play at 17 in your region, but you certainly weren’t allowed to qualify, and in other regions you may not have been able to play at all. In H4 they have blanket restrictions across all regions.

The official rules for the Halo tournament state:

> ELIGIBILITY: Subject to the following restrictions, the Tournament is open to everyone (excluding residents of AZ, CT, MD, TN, QUEBEC AND WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW) who have reached the age of 18 or the age of majority in the jurisdiction in which they reside before the start of the Tournament.

Now I’m not 100% if the “18 or age of majority” means if you live in a region with an age of majority younger than 18 you can compete or if it means that if it’s say 21 in your region than you have to be 21 instead.

> > I can’t 100% tell what that means since I’ve rarely played BO2. You may have been able to play at 17 in your region, but you certainly weren’t allowed to qualify, and in other regions you may not have been able to play at all. In H4 they have blanket restrictions across all regions.
>
> The official rules for the Halo tournament state:
>
>
>
> > ELIGIBILITY: Subject to the following restrictions, the Tournament is open to everyone (excluding residents of AZ, CT, MD, TN, QUEBEC AND WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW) who have reached the age of 18 or the age of majority in the jurisdiction in which they reside before the start of the Tournament.
>
> Now I’m not 100% if the “18 or age of majority” means if you live in a region with an age of majority younger than 18 you can compete or if it means that if it’s say 21 in your region than you have to be 21 instead.

Ah fair play, well either way OP based on that you can almost certainly blame it on your own government (rather than anyone elses) wherever you may be.

In Black ops 2 to qualify “in game” you had to be 18, but an alternative to qualifying for the Championship was to place I believe top 8 in an MLG event. At that point 17+ became an option. My main point that I am just trying to get across is if other tournaments on other games with larger fan bases, meaning more people under the legal age limit of any given Territory/State, have pulled off allowing minors into their tournament, then Halo should have the same ability.

> > Every tournament in my recent memory(aside from the first Halo 4 tournament)has been 17+ at the VERY least. All I’m trying to get across is if previous tournaments have pulled off parental consent, I don’t understand why this one can not.
>
> They aren’t going to fly parents/guardians to Washington to watch minors.
>
> BTW - if you weren’t eligible for the last Halo tournament, why did you get “really hyped” for this one?

Maybe because the prize is 200k for first place and that sounds just a little appealing. They could have came out the gates saying 18+ and I’d still get excited. Plus, the legal age for an unaccompanied flight can be as low as 12 years old. I don’t parental supervision is necessary for people 17+. I don’t think 17 to 18 makes that big of a jump in maturity level.

> > > Every tournament in my recent memory(aside from the first Halo 4 tournament)has been 17+ at the VERY least. All I’m trying to get across is if previous tournaments have pulled off parental consent, I don’t understand why this one can not.
> >
> > They aren’t going to fly parents/guardians to Washington to watch minors.
> >
> > BTW - if you weren’t eligible for the last Halo tournament, why did you get “really hyped” for this one?
>
> Maybe because the prize is 200k for first place and that sounds just a little appealing. They could have came out the gates saying 18+ and I’d still get excited. Plus, the legal age for an unaccompanied flight can be as low as 12 years old. I don’t parental supervision is necessary for people 17+. I don’t think 17 to 18 makes that big of a jump in maturity level.

Then go tell the government that you’re also mature enough to go to strip clubs. An age limit must be imposed, they cannot write laws that say “18+ or 17 if you’re mature for your age”. Like it or not, all you are arguing is that the laws in place are over protective. This may well be true, but laws are laws whether we feel like the government is treating us like children or not - and in this you are literally arguing about when law should stop treating you as a child.

> > > > Every tournament in my recent memory(aside from the first Halo 4 tournament)has been 17+ at the VERY least. All I’m trying to get across is if previous tournaments have pulled off parental consent, I don’t understand why this one can not.
> > >
> > > They aren’t going to fly parents/guardians to Washington to watch minors.
> > >
> > > BTW - if you weren’t eligible for the last Halo tournament, why did you get “really hyped” for this one?
> >
> > Maybe because the prize is 200k for first place and that sounds just a little appealing. They could have came out the gates saying 18+ and I’d still get excited. Plus, the legal age for an unaccompanied flight can be as low as 12 years old. I don’t parental supervision is necessary for people 17+. I don’t think 17 to 18 makes that big of a jump in maturity level.
>
> Then go tell the government that you’re also mature enough to go to strip clubs. An age limit must be imposed, they cannot write laws that say “18+ or 17 if you’re mature for your age”. Like it or not, all you are arguing is that the laws in place are over protective. This may well be true, but laws are laws whether we feel like the government is treating us like children or not - and in this you are literally arguing about when law should stop treating you as a child.

This is just straying from my main topic which is if OTHER tournaments HAVE done this in the past then why can’t Halo? That’s all I’m trying to get across. This doesn’t even involve the government other than the legal age and I’m not arguing that in the slightest. The requirements for any game on the Pro Circuit for Major League Gaming is any age with parental consent. I didn’t once argue that legal age should be lowered for maturity level, I was insinuating that a person of 17 can take care of themselves in a different State with no guidance.

> This is just straying from my main topic which is if OTHER tournaments HAVE done this in the past then why can’t Halo? That’s all I’m trying to get across.

Fair, but the one tournament that you mentioned was also 18+ for online qualifiers. Halo is not on the MLG circuit for us to qualify that way which presumably had different laws applying.

Any way I’m done ranting, if you have still not found your answer then I hope you soon do.

> > This is just straying from my main topic which is if OTHER tournaments HAVE done this in the past then why can’t Halo? That’s all I’m trying to get across.
>
> Fair, but the one tournament that you mentioned was also 18+ for online qualifiers. Halo is not on the MLG circuit for us to qualify that way which presumably had different laws applying.
>
> Any way I’m done ranting, if you have still not found your answer then I hope you soon do.

See the thing that I forgot to mention is that you have to qualify online for certain aspects of an MLG event, which is the same as this. You can still show up at the door and buy your way in or you can win the online qualify and have free admittance plus no age restrictions. Thanks though for responding.