Why Is Stopping Power in Halo 4?

Stopping Power is a mechanic that slows down the player when they are hit with projectiles, like bullets or concussive rounds, for those of you who didn’t know. Halo 4’s Multiplayer has Stopping Power so severe that it rivals that of Gears of War 2, which the community despised. SP is used to prevent players from rushing up and using close-range weapons to kill players using long range weapons. However, SP is so severe on precision weapons like the Battle Rifle and Magnum that escaping to cover in a long range engagement is nearly impossible. Quinn DelHoyo is on the multiplayer team at 343 now, and was at Epic during Gears of War 2 and 3, I don’t know how long prior to 2 he was there.

It’s perplexing to have someone who’s seen the worst of SP and then allowing it to be implemented into another game’s Multiplayer that has a similar style of play. A large part of Gears’ Multiplayer is getting up close to use the shotgun, just as a big part of Halo’s close range combat is using the melee. Most of the time SP doesn’t prevent a close range kill, it just guarantees a long ranged one.

TL;DR - Stopping Power only works in certain shooters, Halo is not one of them.

No, because i hate when someone just tries to double punch me for the entire game and doesn’t even shoot.
I think that if someone shoots you when you are sprinting, sprint should be disabled for 1.5 seconds so you can’t run away like a -Yoink-.

> A large part of Gears’ Multiplayer is getting up close to use the shotgun

That’s because the Gnasher was an overpowered mess that limited the game down to just that weapon and players got joy in feeling like they created something, despite the fact that it alienated and pushed away many other players. It annoyed them greatly because their old tactics didn’t work and they were incredibly selfish and heavily reliant on doing the same “successful” thing each game.

The stopping power wasn’t that severe in Reach, or rather, it was mainly based on when you were shot rather then by how much. Annoying many players who also wanted a limited game to just the DMR and being defeated by players sprinting up and punching them.

With sprint available to all players it can easily cause many players to simply dive for cover the second they were shot, as they didn’t land the first shot themselves and have an advantage.

> No, because i hate when someone just tries to double punch me for the entire game and doesn’t even shoot.
> I think that if someone shoots you when you are sprinting, sprint should be disabled for 1.5 seconds so you can’t run away like a -Yoink!-.

How many times has Stopping Power legitimately saved your life in close range? People with a shotgun can still kill you from 10ft away, people with a sword will just lunge at you, any competent meleer will just strafe around you while meleeing. Stopping Power just makes it easy for precision weapons to kill people at a distance since they basically can’t retreat. It doesn’t help that Stopping Power is basically equal no matter what direction you’re getting shot from, a bullet in the back slows you as much as a bullet in the front.

The Plasma Rifle had it in CE.

> > A large part of Gears’ Multiplayer is getting up close to use the shotgun
>
> With sprint available to all players it can easily cause many players to simply dive for cover the second they were shot, as they didn’t land the first shot themselves and have an advantage.

When you’re being shot at in Halo the two usual reactions are to either get behind something and let your shields recharge, or just shoot back and hope to win. With the Stopping Power in Halo 4, running to cover is many times more dangerous than returning fire as no matter where you get shot from you’ll still be slowed the same. Remember the first five months of multiplayer where it was just DMR wars on every map? The DMR’s high range and damage, combined with incredible stopping power made everything else unviable. Precision weapons are better in every way than their automatic counterparts, save for firing rate of course. The Stopping Power of a precision weapon is much higher than that of an automatic, which basically rewards players for sitting back and shooting as a distance. This fosters a camping mentality, with the introduction of Ordnance and Loadouts than can have sentries and regeneration fields also rewarding camping. Players aren’t rewarded for going on the offensive as it’s much easier and safer to just sit back and player defensively. Stopping Power obviously helps the this as the offensive players are slowed to a halt before they can get to the enemies.

> > No, because i hate when someone just tries to double punch me for the entire game and doesn’t even shoot.
> > I think that if someone shoots you when you are sprinting, sprint should be disabled for 1.5 seconds so you can’t run away like a -Yoink!-.
>
> How many times has Stopping Power legitimately saved your life in close range?

Many times, trust me. Also, almost nobody complains about stopping power so i know that most of the players want it.

> > > No, because i hate when someone just tries to double punch me for the entire game and doesn’t even shoot.
> > > I think that if someone shoots you when you are sprinting, sprint should be disabled for 1.5 seconds so you can’t run away like a -Yoink!-.
> >
> > How many times has Stopping Power legitimately saved your life in close range?
>
> Many times, trust me. Also, almost nobody complains about stopping power so i know that most of the players want it.

Isn’t it just as likely they don’t know about it?

No many love it cause no one liked the fact in reach people would always sprint away in battles or double pummel you.

I love that it slows people down when they’re sprinting because it makes the sword more tactical and running away less common, but for it shouldn’t slow me down mid-air.

I’m starting to get annoyed by how many jumps I’ve failed because I was shot mid-air and slowed down just enough to miss my target.

> I love that it slows people down when they’re sprinting because it makes the sword more tactical and running away less common, but for it shouldn’t slow me down mid-air.
>
>
> <mark>> I’m starting to get annoyed by how many jumps I’ve failed because I was shot mid-air and slowed down just enough to miss my target</mark>
> .

agree with this part.

I’ve always thought as long as you have shields there shouldn’t be SP…but once your shields go down there should be.

My two cent :slight_smile:

> I love that it slows people down when they’re sprinting because it makes the sword more tactical and running away less common, but for it shouldn’t slow me down mid-air.
>
> I’m starting to get annoyed by how many jumps I’ve failed because I was shot mid-air and slowed down just enough to miss my target.

While holding the sword you’re not susceptible to stopping power and can keep traveling at the same sprint speed.

They did this because of the vocal minority complaining about sword blocking in Reach (which has the same tactical requirement that you said it does now).

> TL;DR - Stopping Power only works in certain shooters, Halo is not one of them.

Does nobody remember Reach?

Every dam day: Someone just ran up to me and meleed me twice and killed me and lived even though I shot him a bunch of times.

That’s why we have stopping power in H4. In fact, it’s the same reason why stopping power is in Gears. So people don’t just rush each other all dam day and blow each other away with the Gnasher.

> sword blocking

So glad that’s gone.

> > TL;DR - Stopping Power only works in certain shooters, Halo is not one of them.
>
> Does nobody remember Reach?
>
> Every dam day: Someone just ran up to me and meleed me twice and killed me and lived even though I shot him a bunch of times.
>
> That’s why we have stopping power in H4. In fact, it’s the same reason why stopping power is in Gears. So people don’t just rush each other all dam day and blow each other away with the Gnasher.
>
>
>
> > sword blocking
>
> So glad that’s gone.

Double melee had such an easy fix. A fix that I think should have been the norm since Halo 2.

and I prefer sword blocking. Gives more thought to using the weapon as opposed to swinging mindlessly.

> Double melee had such an easy fix. A fix that I think should have been the norm since Halo 2.

3SK Melees.

Apparently that’s never going to happen.

> and I prefer sword blocking. Gives more thought to using the weapon as opposed to swinging mindlessly.

The mechanic was random.

> > > > No, because i hate when someone just tries to double punch me for the entire game and doesn’t even shoot.
> > > > I think that if someone shoots you when you are sprinting, sprint should be disabled for 1.5 seconds so you can’t run away like a -Yoink!-.
> > >
> > > How many times has Stopping Power legitimately saved your life in close range?
> >
> > Many times, trust me. Also, almost nobody complains about stopping power so i know that most of the players want it.
>
> Isn’t it just as likely they don’t know about it?

I’m sure most of the players know it because it’s very noticeable especially when they shoot you with the AR.

> Many times, trust me. Also, almost nobody complains about stopping power so i know that most of the players want it.

I hate Stopping Power and I also hate Sprint. Just because you don’t see people complaining about it doesn’t mean that people like it. There are more important things to try and get fixed, so something like Stopping Power is usually over-looked. That being said I can remember there being a few threads about it.

>
> I’m starting to get annoyed by how many jumps I’ve failed because I was shot mid-air and slowed down just enough to miss my target.

I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve been attempting that trick jump on simplex from the bases to top mid and someone pings me mid air causing me to fail the jump.

OT: Double melee was a problem in Reach I think because of the combination of slow kill times/ bloom, the lack of melee bleed though and Sprint. People didn’t like Double melee because it was a easy noob tactic that was being heavily abused. Simple as that. I’m personally glad it isn’t a problem any more.

I’d rather not deal with a bunch of kids able to sprint away when I’m beating them or have them run up and beat me down because they can’t shoot.

> > Many times, trust me. Also, almost nobody complains about stopping power so i know that most of the players want it.
>
> I hate Stopping Power and I also hate Sprint. Just because you don’t see people complaining about it doesn’t mean that people like it. There are more important things to try and get fixed, so something like Stopping Power is usually over-looked. That being said I can remember there being a few threads about it.

If you want to play a game with sprint, stopping power is necessary.
If there was no sprint, stopping power would not exist
BTW i also don’t like sprint.