Why is Spartan Locke hated so much?

Alright so I finally played Halo 5 and beat it on heroic solo first time around. The story fell short for me just like many others but it did have some upside. I actually liked Spartan Locke and his team. I mean yeah it was kinda sad that you barely played as Chief but I love the new “team” feature and how can you not be happy about playing with Buck again?..cool dude haha. Anyway why does Locke get so much hate? Honestly people say he’s one sided and emotionless and “boring” but come on. So was Chief in the first Halo… Idk I just don’t think he should get so much hate. I personally like him as a character. Even if Luke Cage is the reason why ahaha. Anyway I hope he’s in more Halo stuff in the future. Just not more than Chief…

Most claim there wasn’t character development, a complaint I don’t understand as Halo never really had character development and H5 actually has good character development you just have to listen to what is being said. Also using outside media helps. Locke was in Nightfall, a very underrated movie IMO. But almost any new Spartans aren’t going to be liked as they are going to be looked at as 343 trying to replace Master Chief.

It felt like 343 tried too hard to make Locke this badass super soilder. The chief was given to us and the part of him being this bonified bad*** was the fact they didn’t really try(bungie). But the way they implemented him gave us that impression. Being the last Spartan etc.

> 2535452857177459;1:
> Alright so I finally played Halo 5 and beat it on heroic solo first time around. The story fell short for me just like many others but it did have some upside. I actually liked Spartan Locke and his team. I mean yeah it was kinda sad that you barely played as Chief but I love the new “team” feature and how can you not be happy about playing with Buck again?..cool dude haha. Anyway why does Locke get so much hate? Honestly people say he’s one sided and emotionless and “boring” but come on. So was Chief in the first Halo… Idk I just don’t think he should get so much hate. I personally like him as a character. Even if Luke Cage is the reason why ahaha. Anyway I hope he’s in more Halo stuff in the future. Just not more than Chief…

To a lot of people, he can be seen as the poster boy for all of 343i’s mistakes as of recent.

For me, it’s because he has very little to do with the overarching plot. That’s not a fault of Locke, that’s a fault of the game. He has some connection to Chief which makes him relevant on Meridian, and he has some connection to Arbiter which makes him relevant on Sanghelios (Even though neither of those connections are explained all that much). You can make an argument on how his character went from capturing/killing Chief & Arbiter to eventually saving them, but what about Cortana? He and his team are literally nobodies to her.

Look no further than the dialogue of the final mission. It consists of Locke doing 3 things:

• Saying the same thing John said: “Hey your plan sucks, stop killing people!” Cortana: “EXCUSE ME?! I’m the victim here! I deserve this!” - Antagonizing Cortana which only makes her reinforce her beliefs: “You were built, not born.” - Literally ignoring Cortana: “Stay focused, Osiris. Ignore her. Find the cores.”

> 2535462450434439;3:
> It felt like 343 tried too hard to make Locke this badass super soilder. The chief was given to us and the part of him being this bonified bad*** was the fact they didn’t really try(bungie). But the way they implemented him gave us that impression. Being the last Spartan etc.

But Bungie did try to make Chief seem like a badass. Between all of the insane stunts that he pulled in the original trilogy and the non-stop one-liners that he spouted, everything about the way that Bungie’s writing team handled 117 basically wants you to look at him and say, “He is a badass”. The only difference between Chief and Locke is that 343 never really showed Locke doing things that would make you feel that way.

Locke seems like a very formal guy.

Throughout the Halo 5 campaign (and Nightfall) he chose his words very carefully.
That being said, you don’t see much of his personal opinions, beliefs, and mentality in Halo 5 because he really has no reason to be personal. He’s just following orders. The players have no way to connect to his character.

Also, for the first two thirds of the campaign, he’s Chiefs’ antagonist, and most people who grew up playing Halo really like Master Chief, so that probably attributed to how he was received.

He barely said anything that was cool or interesting. He just smooth talks to more interesting people.

What I would’ve preferred was more Noble Team-style dialogue between Team Osiris. There was too much exposition dump and not enough banter.

People thought he was a cardboard cutout, but then again, so was CE Chief.

People bring up the point that Master Chief didn’t have any personality in CE, and that’s -Yoink- for a few reasons.
1: Bungie wanted to provide us with a blank slate. His personality and who he was specifically didn’t matter, so they gave us someone who we could see ourselves as.
2: CE was before Bungie knew they were going to make a big, expanded universe of HALO. Back then, it was just going to be a one-off game. At the end of the game, everything looks like you’ve won, because you don’t know how big the Covenant is. It was made to be a closed story, just like the first Star Wars movie.
Since Halo 5: Guardians is partially a setup for Halo 6, they should’ve expanded on Locke’s character more. He’s not a blank slate, because no other Spartan-IV acts anything like him. We know a few things about him, all of which set him apart from us, instead of giving us the chance to believe that we’re him. And with only a few details, he seems like not such a great guy.
That’s why people hate him. We know very little about him, except that he seems to be a -Yoink-. Hopefully, 343 will give us reason to believe that he’s not.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Inserts Peter Griffin “OMG who the heck cares!!” gif.

Just play the game and move on. Go to school. Get an education and become a functioning contributing member of society.

Who cares?

I don’t think he is hated, he just wasn’t portrayed well. Neither Locke or any of his fireteam members were given the proper character development he needed. As well as this lack of character you played as Locke for most of the Campaign, which would be fine if we got to know and really enjoy Locke as a character, with each mission of Osiris shuffling their feet on Sanghelios feeling like a missed opportunity to flesh out Chief as a character. So it’s not that we don’t like Locke, it’s just that its hard to see him take so much space in the campaign of a core Halo FPS game and not see his character fully fleshed out.

Just a quick edit: I see a lot of people compare Locke to CE Chief, and I can see why; both are mainly blank canvases traveling to foreign worlds (except in CE it was one world. And it wasn’t really a world it was a ring. A murder ring.) and shooting their way to point B. However, I think that CE chief had the slack of being the protagonist of a fairly early franchise, whereas Locke is a new main/side character to a fairly developed franchise, which would put lots of expectations to making this new character a more likable person then what we have.

He just felt bland, soulless and didn’t really give me any reason to get behind him. It also didn’t help that I wasn’t fond of the voice acting which was probably exacerbated by the bad dialogue. I’ll admit I haven’t played the campaign for a long time so I’m just going on distant memories.

Because Locke was a character created to “bring in” our little green giant as this sort of war criminal. Even in the game dialogue there’s a piece I think Buck tells him “everyone will know what we’re doing, and they will hate us.” Maybe not those exact words but definitely along the lines, the crazy part is 343i kinda succeeded in garnering the despise for Locke and his mission by the amount of resentment the actual character receives from the Halo fan base. I felt this instant hatred for the guy, and its not really that hard to connect the reasons why: they portray MC as a solider who is ultimately fighting for a friend, Cortana, and has everyone turned on him despite going above and beyond the call to save them all. Again, this is one odd grey area that I applaud 343i for masterfully executing. If anything, it made the Halo community that much more hungry for the return of the GOAT.

I could take him or leave him. I don’t think he should be hated. But I think the mistake was they pretty much made him the main character in a main halo entry. So he gets alot of blame for that reason imo. I don’t think he was a terrible character, but I know that I would have rather been the MC almighty for the entire game.

> 2535461287427665;13:
> Because Locke was a character created to “bring in” our little green giant as this sort of war criminal. Even in the game dialogue there’s a piece I think Buck tells him “everyone will know what we’re doing, and they will hate us.” Maybe not those exact words but definitely along the lines, the crazy part is 343i kinda succeeded in garnering the despise for Locke and his mission by the amount of resentment the actual character receives from the Halo fan base. I felt this instant hatred for the guy, and its not really that hard to connect the reasons why: they portray MC as a solider who is ultimately fighting for a friend, Cortana, and has everyone turned on him despite going above and beyond the call to save them all. Again, this is one odd grey area that I applaud 343i for masterfully executing. If anything, it made the Halo community that much more hungry for the return of the GOAT.

Along with this, people just tend to dislike change, at least from my experience, so having a character that isn’t chief just pop up out of no where caught people off guard.

My opinion on Halo 5’s campaign goes back and forth, but my opinion right now is that it is one of the best (behind Halo Wars 2 and Halo 2). One reason is Spartan Locke, who I came to really like. One of the reasons is that he did not have much character. Just like the Master Chief from Halo: CE, Spartan Locke did not have much character, and that is all right. Also, you can support the actions of Spartan Locke as well as the Master Chief. You can sympathize with the Chief because of his emotional connection to Cortana, but you can also support Locke because the Chief could be dangerous and going mental. His decision to directly disobey orders accomplished that.

Buck’s character was developed in Halo 3: ODST, but for Halo 5 players who did not play that game, what I am about to say about Vale and Tanaka applies to him as well. In real life, people cannot reveal their character within a couple of days. I know that my personality cannot be summarized in a ten hour story; it would take a few weeks. So, in a way, the development of Vale and Tanaka is more realistic than that of let’s say Sergeant Johnson from the original trilogy. That being said, I do prefer greater character development because I do not want to play a campaign that is two weeks long for the sake of understanding a character in a realistic time frame. Instead, I would like to be able to know the characters of whatever story I am playing/watching/reading relatively quickly so that I can get emotionally attached with them for the rest of their journey. However, I do not despise Halo 5’s lack of character development because it feels more real.

Because He’s no Chief, & He’s no Noble-Six

Because he took a large chunk of the spotlight away from the chief. The fanbase reacted in a similar way to playing as the Arbiter in Halo 2, though not as harshly because of the different circumstances. Since it was the first sequel, people weren’t as attached to chief as they are now, and the ratio of Chief missions to Arbiter missions was pretty much an even 50/50. On the other hand, now that we’re in Halo 5’s era, we’ve had 4 games of him as the main character instead of just one, and the ratio of Chief missions to Locke missions heavily leans toward’s Locke, 20/80, which is like a double whammy.

The Arbiter became a fan favorite even though people didn’t like him at first for taking some of Chief’s screentime, so there’s a chance that Locke could become a favorite too, but it all depends on 343 goes about presenting him. For starters, they need to stop designing the game’s story in a way that assumes that all fans have looked into Halo’s story in others forms, such as the novels, because not everyone has. On top of that, they also need to let Chief be in the spotlight, simply because that’s what the fans want.

We need to see his backstory some more…But I still dont like him lol

He lacks a soulfulness.