Why is Smurfing a Problem Now?

It seems like with Halo 5, everyone suddenly hates smurf accounts, and I don’t understand why. Creating a fake account to play noobs has always been a thing, yet I rarely saw people complaining about it pre Halo 5. All the good montagers, Kampy, Dutchy, you name them, used one-months. Nobody really cared, and anyone who did was in the vast minority. I can understand how the lack of social playlists in 5 could make it more annoying for some, but I don’t get where all the sudden hate came from.

To clarify: I’m not asking why people don’t like it. I know why and I agree with those who think it’s cheap. What I’m asking is why there seems to be a large increase in people complaining about it post-H5

Seriously?

The game is suppose to be fun for everyone. Not “Fun” for one smurf. if your doing that you’re (essentially) no better then a full grown adult trying to play with 9 year olds at football. Play with your own skill level.

You will improve yourself significantly better that way anyway, cause your not going to get better by playing people that are 5 levels below you.

> 2533274925892496;2:
> Seriously?
>
> The game is suppose to be fun for everyone. Not “Fun” for one smurf. if your doing that you’re (essentially) no better then a full grown adult trying to play with 9 year olds at football. Play with your own skill level.
>
> You will improve yourself significantly better that way anyway, cause your not going to get better by playing people that are 5 levels below you.

This, though it does confuse me when people act like it a new thing.

> 2533274925892496;2:
> Seriously?
>
> The game is suppose to be fun for everyone. Not “Fun” for one smurf. if your doing that you’re (essentially) no better then a full grown adult trying to play with 9 year olds at football. Play with your own skill level.
>
> You will improve yourself significantly better that way anyway, cause your not going to get better by playing people that are 5 levels below you.

Totally true Spartan!

> 2535456575907503;1:
> It seems like with Halo 5, everyone suddenly hates smurf accounts, and I don’t understand why. Creating a fake account to play noobs has always been a thing, yet I rarely saw people complaining about it pre Halo 5. All the good montagers, Kampy, Dutchy, you name them, used one-months. Nobody really cared, and anyone who did was in the vast minority. I can understand how the lack of social playlists in 5 could make it more annoying for some, but I don’t get where all the sudden hate came from.

If you rarely saw people complaining about it prior to this game then you weren’t paying very close attention. It was a huge problem in Halo 3 and it got attention accordingly. The only reason it got less-to-no attention in Reach and Halo 4 is because those games changed up the competitive formula to the point where smurfing either had no point (Reach), didn’t matter because no one played competitive (also Reach), or it couldn’t be known for sure to be happening because of invisible ranks (Halo 4). “Nobody really cared…” That’s living in a reality bubble if I ever saw it. I cared and plenty of other people were equally outraged. That saddest thing is that even after all this time it doesn’t appear to outrage you. What is it about willfully circumventing skill-based matchmaking for a player’s own benefit, at the expense of every other player in the game, that doesn’t infuriate you? If the only answer you can muster is, “Everybody’s always done it,” then welcome to the lawless future of Halo multiplayer where the 50% of players who are of average skill just quit playing and move onto some other game because Halo SBMM is worthless and they get really tired really quickly of always losing to lower ranked players who are so obviously superior.

> 2533274925892496;2:
> Seriously?
>
> The game is suppose to be fun for everyone. Not “Fun” for one smurf. if your doing that you’re (essentially) no better then a full grown adult trying to play with 9 year olds at football. Play with your own skill level.
>
> You will improve yourself significantly better that way anyway, cause your not going to get better by playing people that are 5 levels below you.

I get why people don’t like it, what I don’t get is why people are only really being vocal about it after Halo 5’a release.

> 2535456575907503;6:
> > 2533274925892496;2:
> > Seriously?
> > The game is suppose to be fun for everyone. Not “Fun” for one smurf. if your doing that you’re (essentially) no better then a full grown adult trying to play with 9 year olds at football. Play with your own skill level.
> > You will improve yourself significantly better that way anyway, cause your not going to get better by playing people that are 5 levels below you.
>
>
> I get why people don’t like it, what I don’t get is why people are only really being vocal about it after Halo 5’a release.

I honestly don’t know. it could be for multiple reasons. It probably dint happen during halo 1-3 because the internet was not as “evolved” yet. Halo 4 might have had a better ranking system. or simply dint happen a lot. OR, it just wasn’t as notable.

EDIT: ah… look at the guys post directly above yours.

> 2533274873843883;5:
> > 2535456575907503;1:
> > It seems like with Halo 5, everyone suddenly hates smurf accounts, and I don’t understand why. Creating a fake account to play noobs has always been a thing, yet I rarely saw people complaining about it pre Halo 5. All the good montagers, Kampy, Dutchy, you name them, used one-months. Nobody really cared, and anyone who did was in the vast minority. I can understand how the lack of social playlists in 5 could make it more annoying for some, but I don’t get where all the sudden hate came from.
>
>
> If you rarely saw people complaining about it prior to this game then you weren’t paying very close attention. It was a huge problem in Halo 3 and it got attention accordingly. The only reason it got less-to-no attention in Reach and Halo 4 is because those games changed up the competitive formula to the point where smurfing either had no point (Reach), didn’t matter because no one played competitive (also Reach), or it couldn’t be known for sure to be happening because of invisible ranks (Halo 4). “Nobody really cared…” That’s living in a reality bubble if I ever saw it. I cared and plenty of other people were equally outraged. That saddest thing is that even after all this time it doesn’t appear to outrage you. What is it about willfully circumventing skill-based matchmaking for a player’s own benefit, at the expense of every other player in the game, that doesn’t infuriate you? If the only answer you can muster is, “Everybody’s always done it,” then welcome to the lawless future of Halo multiplayer where the 50% of players who are of average skill just quit playing and move onto some other game because Halo SBMM is worthless and they get really tired really quickly of always losing to lower ranked players who are so obviously superior.

I never said it doesn’t make me angry, I agree that it’s a cheap thing to do. I wasn’t trying to justify it by saying that a lot of big names do it, I was saying that that’s what was happening and I hadn’t seen anywhere near the amount of hate for it that I do now. And my only real source for seeing people’s opinions on it was YouTube comments, so maybe I just wasn’t getting the full view of it. Nevertheless what you said about changing up the competitive formula does make sense.

> 2535456575907503;1:
> It seems like with Halo 5, everyone suddenly hates smurf accounts, and I don’t understand why. Creating a fake account to play noobs has always been a thing, yet I rarely saw people complaining about it pre Halo 5. All the good montagers, Kampy, Dutchy, you name them, used one-months. Nobody really cared, and anyone who did was in the vast minority. I can understand how the lack of social playlists in 5 could make it more annoying for some, but I don’t get where all the sudden hate came from.
>
> To clarify: I’m not asking why people don’t like it. I know why and I agree with those who think it’s cheap. What I’m asking is why there seems to be a large increase in people complaining about it post-H5

The family gold set up has made it far more financially viable for people to act like -Yoinks!- when it comes to this. The number of people who can set up a smurf account without a massive expenditure of cash is pretty high, compared to setting up a separate gold account every time. Bad behavior is still bad behavior.

I can see why smurfing can be a bit of a problem, but there is a very good reason to do so - you improve your skills considerably before you play on your actual account. I used to play on my older brother’s account before I had my own, and now I’m much more confident and potent with my own skills.