Why is population so...well, popular?

Now I know a lot of people, myself included, feel that halo 4 is pretty lacking. But since when does population determine the fact you will keep playing?

I’ve seen more and more thread posting threads “population is 50k, this game sucks” but in all serious, will you ever notice it? I mean really, does this determine why you play the game? Is this the reason you’re not having fun, is it really that important to you to be such a sheep that you need to play a game were more of the ‘herd’ are?

I’ve never been looking for a match for longer than a minute or two, if you told me this game had 2000 or 2 million people, you wouldn’t notice the difference. It’s not like you’re paired up with the same people for a whole gaming session!

Seriously, we have bigger issues to worry about when it comes to halo and the state it is in. Let 343i care about how many people are playing and buying the game, you just need to concentrate on having fun and basically giving feedback about it.

You are the Reclaimer

People like to bring up population data because it gives some hard data on how many people are continuing to play the game, which in turn can be used to judge if the direction the game is going is a popular choice or not.

From what I’ve gathered, the users here don’t bring up population data because they are concerned about finding matches quickly. Population data is seen more as a way of saying, “See everyone, 343i did X and now X% of the total user-base have left/returned to the game.”

Eh I think it just gets dull and non-competitive sometimes, but this game is great if you have a friend and just hop on something like BTB, it is just so amazing on BTB with a friend.

Matchmaking is not very populated, but is still fun.

(343, please add a Unsc fly-able vehicle in Halo 5, the falcon was the greatest thing in Reach.)

You have a dramatic visual indicator that some like to use as a cudgel. Sorta like 1-50. Halo 4 is not pulling a 50 anymore so it’s getting called a scrub.

People are worried about the population because it is continually dropping. If there were only 2000 people playing, you would know the difference. Games would be laggy, skill matching would be worse than it is now, and you would only have to stick to only a couple of playlists because everyone is going to be holed up in IS and BTB. If the game had 2000000 people playing, searh times would be lower, you would get better matches, and best of all, there would be a ton of playlists to choose from. Halo is at it’s lowest point right now in terms of popularity. I remember when everyone played Halo, but now, I don’t know a single Halo player because they all stopped playing either in Reach or Halo 4. The population decline shows that the game hasn’t kept everyone interested. 343 has made changes though and if the population can stay around where it is now, it will show that the people who stayed are interested in the game still. If the population can remain stable, then that means that people are enjoying the game more, and from their, they will have to try to get players back. If we have a larger playerbase that CONSISTENTLY plays, their will be less complaints from people too since more playlists can be added, and more people can get what they want. Population is important in a game, because the more people that play, the better the experience for everyone.

Perhaps population isn’t all that important if you can find a match, but what’s the quality of that match?

Not only this, but people use the dumbest “logic” when it comes to population. Most notably, comparing the population of Halo 3/Reach to Halo 4 when all of them used much different methods to count population.

Also, the “400,000 peak population when the game launched, but now it’s 100,000-50,000, that means most people hate this game/everybody left”, when all it proves is that people don’t play it as much (which should be obvious with any game).

Overall, one of this forum’s dumber trends, which is saying something.

You may still be able to find a game quickly, but due to the population being at the level it is, it means that the game you do find is less likely to:

1. Have good connection for all players

2. Have a good Trueskill match (which operates in the background)

Therefore, although you can find games quickly, the experience is not as good as it should be due to the low population.

> People like to bring up population data because it gives some hard data on how many people are continuing to play the game, which in turn can be used to judge if the direction the game is going is a popular choice or not.
>
> <mark>From what I’ve gathered, the users here don’t bring up population data because they are concerned about finding matches quickly. Population data is seen more as a way of saying, “See everyone, 343i did X and now X% of the total user-base have left/returned to the game.”</mark>

But you could never know exactly why people left. You can’t prove the changes to the game are the reason for why people left, you can only speculate.

> You are the Reclaimer

Op is a Heritic!
You must follow the herd to be cool on waypoint!!!

Now hurry, complain about the DMR and throw in something about casual or competitive! Redeem yourself Demon!!!

> > You are the Reclaimer
>
> Op is a Heritic!
> You must follow the herd to be cool on waypoint!!!
>
> Now hurry, complain about the DMR and throw in something about casual or competitive! Redeem yourself Demon!!!

Um…they should make halo fun like it used to be back in the trilogy days and people should stop taking it so damn seriously and competitively!

God I miss the old halo days when the community would moan about cool things, like not being able to fly out of Valhalla to see the awesome skybox Bungie did, not pointless things like population!

> > People like to bring up population data because it gives some hard data on how many people are continuing to play the game, which in turn can be used to judge if the direction the game is going is a popular choice or not.
> >
> > <mark>From what I’ve gathered, the users here don’t bring up population data because they are concerned about finding matches quickly. Population data is seen more as a way of saying, “See everyone, 343i did X and now X% of the total user-base have left/returned to the game.”</mark>
>
> But you could never know exactly why people left. You can’t prove the changes to the game are the reason for why people left, you can only speculate.

This forum is full of post from people who hated the game the way he is and leave the game. Halo 3 at this point has the triple of people playing it. of course that means something wrong.

> > People like to bring up population data because it gives some hard data on how many people are continuing to play the game, which in turn can be used to judge if the direction the game is going is a popular choice or not.
> >
> > <mark>From what I’ve gathered, the users here don’t bring up population data because they are concerned about finding matches quickly. Population data is seen more as a way of saying, “See everyone, 343i did X and now X% of the total user-base have left/returned to the game.”</mark>
>
> But you could never know exactly why people left. You can’t prove the changes to the game are the reason for why people left, you can only speculate.

Exactly the problem with using this data to evaluate popularity trends: it’s too limited in its scope.

There real issue here is that there are not enough sources of data available to make any real, logical conclusion about what is working and what isn’t. Naturally this leaves a lot of users making leaps and bounds trying to jump to conclusions based off of what little information they have.

In the end, I find that most just use their own personal experiences to judge what works best, which is fine but it can’t be used to represent the community itself or what it wants as a whole.

Um yes and no… If a population is lower than 500… Then I know finding a match skillwise is next to impossible. That doesn’t mean the game sucks, it just means I don’t have a place to play.

Less population means the ranking structure in the background can’t work properly, which leads to uneven matches and low-quality gameplay for both those who are good at the game, and those who are new or not-as-great.

Nobody likes stomping all over another team (Unless you’re 10 and still laugh as you kill people).

Nobody likes getting stomped on.

This leads to more quitting, and even LESS population in the lower-pop playlists because you know the games are going to suck. This means that if the population drops low enough, the only decent games you’ll be able to get are in Infinity Slayer and Flood.

That is why population matters: It effects the entire structure of the game. Not enough people? The quality of matches plummets and playlist population distribution goes out of whack.

Blops 2 on PC is suffering from this, as they only have 30k players or so at peak times, meaning at off times, you’re lucky to get a match in anything except Team Deathmatch.

Edit: This is also why CSR will fail. There’s not enough active playing population to support a proper 1-50 system.

> People like to bring up population data because it gives some hard data on how many people are continuing to play the game, which in turn can be used to judge if the direction the game is going is a popular choice or not.
>
> From what I’ve gathered, the users here don’t bring up population data because they are concerned about finding matches quickly. Population data is seen more as a way of saying, “See everyone, 343i did X and now X% of the total user-base have left/returned to the game.”

But the people who bring up population data do it in a completely stupid way and have no idea what they are talking about.

Giving an example is easy. The most talked about number is peak population usage. The definition for peak population is the maximum number of individuals simultaneously playing the game in one 24 hour period. So this has an easy-to-see flaw. All this identification shows is how many people play at once. IT doesn’t tell how many people actually play in a day, or how much they are playing, which are the two data sets that would give you real knowledge about the game. But those are data sets 343 isn’t releasing (at least to my knowledge). So the argument goes: Peak population in Halo 4 was 400k on Day 1 and now its down to 100k on Day 243 (or whatever day the argument is made on); that’s a 75% drop so obviously 343 sucks! That’s an incorrect analysis because that just means that 400k weren’t on playing the game AT THE SAME TIME, not that there is an actual population drop of 300k. The same 400k people could be playing, just at different times.

The only way to know how and what type of population drop there is would be to see the data sets of unique individual users (UU) per day and average amount of play time (PT) per session. Now, if UU was 500k on Day 1 and today it’s 200k, then there’s a 60% drop and would be a point of concern. However if UU is 500k on Day 1 and today it’s 600k that would be fantastic. Also, if PT is 1 hour on Day 1 and is 20 min today that would be a concern because that would mean that people play less hen they get on. But if today PT is 2hr, then that would be fantastic. Since we have the data for neither UU OR PT all statistical analysis is basically useless.

When Halo 3 came out, it was one of the only good online multiplayer games on the 360. It´s only main competition was COD 4.
Fast forward 5 years. A ton of popular multiplayer games are available. There´s the last few Call of Duty´s, EA Sports [insertyearhere], Battlefield, Minecraft, Red Dead etc. Halo has a lot more competition than it did 5 years ago. Of course less people are going to be playing Halo.

I never see anyone bring up matchmaking times. I remember waiting for a good 5-10 minutes at times for a match in Halo 2, and even in 3. This game takes literally 15 seconds to put me into a game, and though my teammates are usually all 10 year olds wandering around and staring at the ground it’s not like that’s ever any different in other online games… But yeah, I guess people bring up the population counts so much just because of the bandwagon/sheep herd mentality. Personally I love the game, and though there are things they missed the mark on when it comes to multiplayer this is their first game as a team and those issues aren’t gamebreaking for me.

Because the world is all based on numbers now. Money, population, revenue, income, blah blah blah. In the case of video games, if the numbers indicate a game is either popular and unpopular, then it is determined whether it will continue or not. But Halo is huge so I hope it stays that way.