Why is John 117 Called the Master Chief?

Why

So this is how you make these things

It’s his military rank.

It’s short for Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy, his rank. That’s the highest enlisted rank in the Navy. Spartans generally weren’t promoted to officer ranks.

.what they said^

It is the rank he was given. It’s not a name but a rank. 117 is his assigned number when he was taken as a child. John was his real name.

Fun fact that some people don’t know: John 117 is a bible reference for John 1:17

Also, to add on, I don’t think they actually had a name worked out for him when the first Halo game came out. Calling him by his rank fits the nameless space marine archetype. I’m fairly certain the name was established by the Fall of Reach novel, and it’s never mentioned in the games until Halo 4.

> 2533274800839679;7:
> Fun fact that some people don’t know: John 117 is a bible reference for John 1:17

I don’t believe that. Here’s John 1:17: “For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.” That doesn’t relate to Halo in any way.

It’s the highest non comissioned rank that can be reached. Which he did. Title accorded by rank. Like Master sgt. But for the navy. I was in the army so only making an educated assumption as to naval rankings.

It’s his military rank the equivalent of calling someone ‘sarge’

I look at all of the people saying the same thing as the others, why bother with it, someone already answered the question.

aye its just a rank

> 2533274806245761;8:
> Also, to add on, I don’t think they actually had a name worked out for him when the first Halo game came out. Calling him by his rank fits the nameless space marine archetype. I’m fairly certain the name was established by the Fall of Reach novel, and it’s never mentioned in the games until Halo 4.
>
>
> > 2533274800839679;7:
> > Fun fact that some people don’t know: John 117 is a bible reference for John 1:17
>
> I don’t believe that. Here’s John 1:17: “For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.” That doesn’t relate to Halo in any way.

It actually is true. They had multiple meanings behind it. It was John 1:17 and Revelations 1:17 which was also called The Revelation of Saint John 1:17. I don’t remember their reasoning for John 1:17, but reading Revelations 1:17 makes a lot of sense.“and when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last.” I think with John 1:17 he’s supposed to embody both roles. He’s the lawbringer, but he also brings truth and grace to humankind.

How did this sit in the “Other” support section without us catching it lol.

> 2533274890452763;13:
> > 2533274806245761;8:
> > Also, to add on, I don’t think they actually had a name worked out for him when the first Halo game came out. Calling him by his rank fits the nameless space marine archetype. I’m fairly certain the name was established by the Fall of Reach novel, and it’s never mentioned in the games until Halo 4.
> >
> >
> > > 2533274800839679;7:
> > > Fun fact that some people don’t know: John 117 is a bible reference for John 1:17
> >
> > I don’t believe that. Here’s John 1:17: “For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.” That doesn’t relate to Halo in any way.
>
> It actually is true. They had multiple meanings behind it. It was John 1:17 and Revelations 1:17 which was also called The Revelation of Saint John 1:17. I don’t remember their reasoning for John 1:17, but reading Revelations 1:17 makes a lot of sense.“and when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last.” I think with John 1:17 he’s supposed to embody both roles. He’s the lawbringer, but he also brings truth and grace to humankind.

I really don’t think we needed to resurrect this thread 2+ years later for this.