Why is it so easy to hit people on reach?

If you go to theater and watch a ZB match, you notice that absolutely nobody misses. I feel like the shot connection rate for players is near 90%. It doesn’t make sense that I can go through an entire match and miss only five to ten shots. The MLG setup for ZB is as close as reach can get to halo 3. That is sad. That is similar to Call of Duty and military shooters. But, for some reason players are just so easy to hit. <mark>Why are players so easy to hit on Reach? ZB has no skill gap because nobody misses. Go to theater if you don’t believe me.</mark> If you are successful, you either have a far superior team or you are playing with your back to the wall.

  1. The distance on the DMR does not affect accuracy
  2. The player models are very blocky and almost square.
  3. The reticle and area of impact is too large.
  4. Strafe speed isn’t high enough

There are more reasons are probably didn’t include. Reach just continues to have more basic problems than I could have ever imagined.

Because ZB isnt just a crutch, its a god-damn electric mobility scooter.

> Because ZB isnt just a crutch, its a god-damn electric mobility scooter.

The absence of randomness is not a “crutch”. Far from it. Why should my precision weapon demonstrate an inability to fire where I want it to?

> If you go to theater and watch a ZB match, you notice that absolutely nobody misses. I feel like the shot connection rate for players is near 90%. It doesn’t make sense that I can go through an entire match and miss only five to ten shots. The MLG setup for ZB is as close as reach can get to halo 3. That is sad. That is similar to Call of Duty and military shooters. But, for some reason players are just so easy to hit. <mark>Why are players so easy to hit on Reach? ZB has no skill gap because nobody misses. Go to theater if you don’t believe me.</mark> If you are successful, you either have a far superior team or you are playing with your back to the wall.
>
> 1. The distance on the DMR does not affect accuracy
> 2. The player models are very blocky and almost square.
> 3. The reticle and area of impact is too large.
> 4. Strafe speed isn’t high enough
>
> There are more reasons are probably didn’t include. Reach just continues to have more basic problems than I could have ever imagined.

I have to again start with a question;
So now the problem is that accurate controller use is rewarded too much?

Now to respond in kind:

  1. That is why bloom functions as it does for the DMR in 85 and 100%. That is why the Pistol has a spread without bloom. These are mechanics that limit effectual uses over the ranges.
  2. Only when at far ranges.
  3. Not in ZB. In Vanilla, yes the outer static reticle allows for an inaccurate, yet rested shot to be rewarded.
    In ZB, a player must have the inner circle on the player’s hitbox (which is the tightest its ever been) to register a hit. Though yes, only the edge of the reticle need touch.
  4. You could be right, but with hitscan, it doesn’t matter like it did for the CE-M6 or H3BR. Use the NR with 120% speed to relive the golden.

It is nearly impossible to emulate H3’s BR battles with a ZB DMR. The hitscan nature won’t allow it. The NR is the best way to emulate CE and H3’s M6/BR battles where strafing was important due to the projectile nature of the weapons.

I suggest trying to maintain clarity of ZB, 85% and 100% bloom in the future.

A repeat: I prefer CE’s Pistol’s bloom mechanic, but to the effect that the PC version was “patched” to.
A precision rifle that can be fullautoed can be managed so that those that can rapidly fire the weapon are hindered by spread only at mid-range and beyond. The short side of mid-range and closer would not be effected by the blooming spread much, if at all.
Those that pace ever so slightly will be rewarded with the most precise shots.
Those that fullauto will fire just like an AR will.
The AR would continue to work as is, but I still prefer a slight damage and/or ROF buff.

> If you are successful, you either have a far superior team or you are playing with your back to the wall.

This deserves a medal for its own, the OBVIOUS medal. This is a statement of truth and not of proof. It does nothing but relay the obvious. If one wins, they either did it with superior technical skills or superior strategic skills.

I really think many people who hate on ZB doubt the aiming ability of other players. NONE of my friends knew about bloom. The majority of them were good at Halo 3, but because they didn’t know about bloom in Reach, their accuracy suffered. Players complaining about ZB being easy are forgetting that those who knew nothing about bloom are finally getting their accuracy back.

Answer to OP.

Movement speed is slow in default.

> 4. Strafe speed isn’t high enough

I haven’t actually played ZB outside of MLG yet, but I can tell you that the Strafe Speed is damn well high enough. I’ve only seen a couple of perfect 4 shots, most battles end with each player strafing their buts off until another player from one team comes into to help clean up.

> > 4. Strafe speed isn’t high enough
>
> …
>
> I haven’t actually played ZB outside of MLG yet, but I can tell you that the Strafe Speed is damn well high enough. I’ve only seen a couple of perfect 4 shots, most battles end with each player strafing their buts off until another player from one team comes into to help clean up.

You are either playing against awful opponents or you are playing a different game than me. In each battle I miss one shot at a max. Nobody else misses either. Most likely you camp with your back to the wall across the map.

Checked your stats… Uh… What in the world is that?

I mean I have to go do some work for school, but you really need to post some of these videos.

From what I can gather you are really not good (Just basing on stats here) so if you were really as accurate as you claim I’m guessing you would play a lot better.

I mean honestly, if you’re missing less than 10 shots a game you should be absolutely godly.

Edit: Also noticed you said your teammates never miss too… I mean 99% accuracy and still losing a lot. Not making much sense.

> Checked your stats… Uh… What in the world is that?
>
> I mean I have to go do some work for school, but you really need to post some of these videos.
>
> From what I can gather you are really not good (Just basing on stats here) so if you were really as accurate as you claim I’m guessing you would play a lot better.
>
> I mean honestly, if you’re missing less than 10 shots a game you should be absolutely godly.
>
> Edit: Also noticed you said your teammates never miss too… I mean 99% accuracy and still losing a lot. Not making much sense.

I agree with you. If him and his teammates have some where around 95% accuracy a game than he would be winning nearly every game. I have also noticed that almost everyone that complains about ZB is bad at ZB, its a shame isn’t it?

> Checked your stats… Uh… What in the world is that?
>
> I mean I have to go do some work for school, but you really need to post some of these videos.
>
> From what I can gather you are really not good (Just basing on stats here) so if you were really as accurate as you claim I’m guessing you would play a lot better.
>
> I mean honestly, if you’re missing less than 10 shots a game you should be absolutely godly.
>
> Edit: Also noticed you said your teammates never miss too… I mean 99% accuracy and still losing a lot. Not making much sense.

Well he was playing MLG… lol

OP I honestly would love to see some of these videos you talk about; I honestly haven’t seen a game of ZB where even 10% of 1v1’s ended with only 5 shots being fired by 1 player. I would consider myself “skilled” at this game and to have decent accuracy (top 30% onyx and 2.6 something k/d with the DMR), and I can attest to having most of my ZB 1v1’s on being 6 to 8 shot battles. I can probably count on 1 hand the times I’ve gotten perfect 5SK’s in ZB with the couple hundred (at least) kills I had in the TU playlist. Although this was 2 months ago back when ZB first came out, so maybe everyone’s gotten better since then, but honestly saying that 90% of battles are 5 SK’s is really hard for me to believe.

> OP I honestly would love to see some of these videos you talk about; I honestly haven’t seen a game of ZB where even 10% of 1v1’s ended with only 5 shots being fired by 1 player. I would consider myself “skilled” at this game and to have decent accuracy (top 30% onyx and 2.6 something k/d with the DMR), and I can attest to having most of my ZB 1v1’s on being 6 to 8 shot battles. I can probably count on 1 hand the times I’ve gotten perfect 5SK’s in ZB with the couple hundred (at least) kills I had in the TU playlist. Although this was 2 months ago back when ZB first came out, so maybe everyone’s gotten better since then, but honestly saying that 90% of battles are 5 SK’s is really hard for me to believe.

^This. ZB with the lack of aim assist on the DMR is very punishing, much more than Golf-ball size reticle Bloom DMR ever was. I am able to turn on people and win battles more often than with bloom, and I am able to position myself in different angles without bloom and I can take down enemies from places I wouldnt be able to with bloom. ZBNS saved Reach for competitve players it is x10000 times better than Default Reach.

> Well he was playing MLG… lol

Yeah and with his entire team hitting 95+% of their shots, all of them are still average at best?

I don’t really understand. Unless their opponents are hitting 100% of their shots and never missing.

> If you go to theater and watch a ZB match, you notice that absolutely nobody misses. I feel like the shot connection rate for players is near 90%. It doesn’t make sense that I can go through an entire match and miss only five to ten shots. The MLG setup for ZB is as close as reach can get to halo 3. That is sad. That is similar to Call of Duty and military shooters. But, for some reason players are just so easy to hit. <mark>Why are players so easy to hit on Reach? ZB has no skill gap because nobody misses. Go to theater if you don’t believe me.</mark> If you are successful, you either have a far superior team or you are playing with your back to the wall.
>
> 1. The distance on the DMR does not affect accuracy
> 2. The player models are very blocky and almost square.
> 3. The reticle and area of impact is too large.
> 4. Strafe speed isn’t high enough
>
> There are more reasons are probably didn’t include. Reach just continues to have more basic problems than I could have ever imagined.

> Zero bloom has its problems and I feel as if the death times are too fast. But, zero bloom needs to stay. Randomness in any amount is awful and takes away the skill factor. I notice that I’m able to actually dominate with ZB and make my opponents look inferior. When I switch from ZB to bloom it is amazing to realize how much bloom makes you miss. Bloom in any form is terrible. Make guns shoot slower or have more recoil. But do not add a random element into the game.

You wanna explain the differance in opinion?

While Im not really feeling like looking all the way back through your post history, how long have you been saying you want ZB?

How many new problems are you gonna have when you get the adjustments you are asking for currently?

At some point in the near future, could we try to get more important stuff from 343 instead of wasting our time and theirs with petty issues that add up to .000001 grams of fun or gaming enjoyment?

Things like, but not limited to:

New maps that I dont have to pay for, as the ones I did I cant play on.

New maps that I dont have to pay for, as the ones I did I cant play on.

New maps that I dont have to pay for, as the ones I did I cant play on.

New maps that I dont have to pay for, as the ones I did I cant play on.

New maps that I dont have to pay for, as the ones I did I cant play on.

Thats just a partial list that I have been compiling for the last 6 months, I will most likely add to it at a later date.

343 is only going to do so much for us as a community, the voices of reason should start speaking a little louder. I hope we dont waste whatever finite amount of effort 343 is willing to put in to Reach on getting fricken bloom mechanics and jump hight adjustments, cause that would be sad =(

It is simple really. I don’t camp. In ZB settings if you don’t have a wall to your back your dead no matter how good you are.

> It is simple really. I don’t camp. In ZB settings if you don’t have a wall to your back your dead no matter how good you are.

But that playlist is clearly the most competitive and balanced game mode, right?

Why are you so contradictory?

Edit: Also, your stats in general are incredibly average. I was just giving you some slack because it was the MLG playlist so…

> 4. Strafe speed isn’t high enough

The game designers of Reach added a strafe acceleration, so that strafing would be less effective and easier for players to land shots.

> > 4. Strafe speed isn’t high enough
>
> The game designers of Reach added a strafe acceleration, so that strafing would be less effective and easier for players to land shots.

Hitting people should be a challenge. The easier the game…the lower the skill gap

> > It is simple really. I don’t camp. In ZB settings if you don’t have a wall to your back your dead no matter how good you are.
>
> But that playlist is clearly the most competitive and balanced game mode, right?
>
> Why are you so contradictory?
>
> Edit: Also, your stats in general are incredibly average. I was just giving you some slack because it was the MLG playlist so…

How am I contradictory? The mlg settings do require more skill. All of your shots count and the settings on reach just don’t work with that. It is very simple. I’ll challenge anyone to a DMR duel on MLG settings. Misses are an absolute rarity. Honestly, if you don’t believe me go play halo 3. Using the sniper is way more difficult and so is the BR.
Criticize my previous stats if you want to. I honestly stopped trying the last 6 or 7 mlg matches I played. My friend called this problem out before me. He said don’t shoot and just concentrate on making people miss. Rarely did anyone miss no matter what my strafing pattern was. Then if you play with your back to the wall on the outside of the map you will dominate. I challenge any of you to prove me wrong over xbox live.