Why is Halsey's Character Wrong?

I’ve been reading a lot about the “Karen Travis incident”, and how she turned Halsey into a sadistic, evil and maniacal scientist. I read Glasslands and Ghosts of Onyx, and her character made sense in both of them. What I don’t get is why all the hate? What is her character supposed to be like? I don’t know if I wasn’t really reading the books but I don’t get any sort of vibe that Halsey was ‘evil’, only someone who was embittered after saving humanity and getting blamed for everything. I read the journal that came with Reach, and her character in that book which Bungie wrote (correct me if I’m wrong) seems to match her character in Halo 4, Glasslands and Onyx.

It’s not how she portrayed her character, it’s how she’s being treated.

Its not hate pointed toward Halsey in general I believe but people seem to blame Karen for somehow mistreating Halsey or something? Even though this is a logical step for the story, Halsey being thrown under the bus by ONI for the acts they allowed, commanded her, to do, makes Halsey look like someone who is in a more vulnerable position.

It seems like good story telling to me, to show such a loved character in his weakest moments, betrayed by the organization who commanded her to create a army of Super Soldiers from children she grew attached to.

Halsey has been completely at ONI’s mercy, and pretty much put into a position where her options are very limited, this pushes characters like Halsey to a point where their decisions must be more drastic at times, just like what is happening in Spartan Ops right now.

> I’ve been reading a lot about the “Karen Travis incident”, and how she turned Halsey into a sadistic, evil and maniacal scientist. I read Glasslands and Ghosts of Onyx, and her character made sense in both of them. What I don’t get is why all the hate? What is her character supposed to be like? I don’t know if I wasn’t really reading the books but I don’t get any sort of vibe that Halsey was ‘evil’, only someone who was embittered after saving humanity and getting blamed for everything. I read the journal that came with Reach, and her character in that book which Bungie wrote (correct me if I’m wrong) seems to match her character in Halo 4, Glasslands and Onyx.

Eric Nylund, the same person who wrote Fall of Reach, First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx, wrote Halsey’s Journal. If she seems overly bitter and treated as Evil now it’s because she has spent several years being ONI’s scapegoat. However Halsey was not arrested or charged for anything she did during the Spartan Project. She was arrested for stealing the Spartans away when Humanity needed them the most. She personally kidnapped Kelly and convinced Lord Hood to send the remaining Spartans to Onyx with the intent of running away with them because as far as she was concerned, Humanity was doomed.

As it has already been stated, Halsey herself is portrayed just fine. It’s how others treat her that most people complain about.

I understand what Traviss is getting at–a different perspective for Halsey’s character, from Parangosky’s point of view. But I still think she takes it too far in her writing.

Halsey is being used as a scapegoat of ONI, so that the full body can seem to remain innocent. In actuality, ONI was fully aware of all aspects of what Halsey did in the Spartan II program, and signed off on most if not all of it.

The real villains here are ONI, but because of their ability to control information they can easily make it look like Halsey is the bad guy.

Halsey has never really done anything wrong, aside from “kind of” kidnapping Kelly, and “kind of” stealing a ship to get to Onyx. She hasnt dont anything worthy of all the hate she gets in the recent literature/game, and certainly not worthy of a death order or even being impriosoned.

The fact of the matter is, Halsey has done far more good than bad, and honestly the ends of her endevours have always justified the means in my eyes.

What we’re seeing now, is 343i and Karen Travis bulldozing Halsey for their own agendas, which is really quite sad.

Halsey acts like Halsey. All is fine…

HERESY ! BLAM

>

Maggie makes it clear that Halsey was arrested for cloning the children. Which she had to have some kind of approval to get the facilities and the machines. She seems to know how she created cortana and has no issues with that but for some reason has a soft spot for the spartan children.

Even though she praised the spartan III project for being dirt cheap.

My main problem is how Halsey was arrested.

Its as if they waited for the end of the war and said “hey, lets act like these past crimes that were for the greater good actually mattered!”. Halsey was not arrested once or spoken to about her work with the Spartan Program. ONI is acting like they had no idea about what she did, yet ONI was the ones funding and protecting her program. Yeah, her kidnapping Spartans was a crime, but it was for the greater good, allowing them to find Onyx and save several important Spartans.

It just look slike ONI (and Maggie) are just trying to make up excuses to get Halsey out of the picture. Halsey wasn’t a war criminal. ONI knew exactly what she did with the Spartans, and her actions at the end of the war allowed the discovery of a Forerunner Shield World and the survival of several Spartans. How does that say war criminal as a whole?

She is being treated badly, everyone is buying the war criminal excuse. ONI is making up excuses to have her arrested. And its starting to show how bad ONI is, to show truly who is leading us.

Parongosky was treated the same way. In The Thursday war Maggies ok but in Glasslands shes made out to be an evil monster

What people need to understand is that we’re essentially Gods. We know characters’ thoughts and feelings, we know what they’ve done. We know more than the characters in this universe. People keep complaining because Traviss’ characters treat Halsey as a monster, without taking into account that they’ve been given information to make them think that. Same goes for Parongosky. Other characters think they’re complete monsters, we see the many different aspects of these characters. The opinions of these fictional characters are skewed by the information they are privy to.

> What people need to understand is that we’re essentially Gods. We know characters’ thoughts and feelings, we know what they’ve done. We know more than the characters in this universe. People keep complaining because Traviss’ characters treat Halsey as a monster, without taking into account that they’ve been given information to make them think that. Same goes for Parongosky. Other characters think they’re complete monsters, we see the many different aspects of these characters. The opinions of these fictional characters are skewed by the information they are privy to.

So, what information was Mendez given that made him so angry towards Halsey between GoO and Glasslands?

> It’s not how she portrayed her character, it’s how she’s being treated.

No, Halsey’s portrayal is pretty poor as well. As I’ve said countless times; she goes from being the cool, collected and assertive person we know her to be, to an emotionally fragile twelve year old.

Not to mention that in Spartan Ops she sorta comes across as your stereotypical mad scientist type who’s only goal is knowledge, no matter the cost. Not that big of a leap as the Glasslands Halsey, but I still couldn’t get into it that much.

Also, am I the only one wondering why ONI would need a scapegoat in the first place? I mean, why would they release the additional details about the Spartan-II Program?

> It’s not how she portrayed her character, it’s how she’s being treated.

Halsey’s portrayal and the way she is treated are both pretty crappy.

> > What people need to understand is that we’re essentially Gods. We know characters’ thoughts and feelings, we know what they’ve done. We know more than the characters in this universe. People keep complaining because Traviss’ characters treat Halsey as a monster, without taking into account that they’ve been given information to make them think that. Same goes for Parongosky. Other characters think they’re complete monsters, we see the many different aspects of these characters. The opinions of these fictional characters are skewed by the information they are privy to.
>
> So, what information was Mendez given that made him so angry towards Halsey between GoO and Glasslands?

I’ll admit, Mendez’s change was pretty abrupt. Halsey’s own changes had a basis in First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx and her journal, and there was an arc in Glasslands. Mendez didn’t get this. Glasslands was the first time we really got in his head but there really should have been more of a build up.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with her portrayal or how she’s being treated. I’ve been saying this since Glasslands.

I don’t much care for the comparisons Karen Traviss brings up for Halsey. Comparing her to Josef Mengele is way off as far as I’m concerned. The only real comparison between the two is that both their work dealt with kids, but Mengele also used people of various ages, races and other affiliations. Mengele MADE conjoined twins, amputated people, injected chemicals in various orifices, vivisected pregnant women and even give kids candy and treat them nicely before dumping them in gas chambers.

And that is only scratching the surface. He would also sterilize people, perform shock treatments, perform surgeries without anesthesia and so on. Mengele did not care one bit for his patients safety in his experiments. Halsey did. Karen Traviss only namedropped Mengele as a comparison to Halsey because it was emotional and the easiest way to villainize someone without actually having to think.

Ironic when Ms. Traviss is so outspoken against -Yoink!- ideas, especially when her own characters are as morally bankrupt as they are.

People are full of it.

I guess the only complaint that has any credibility that I can think of is Mendez’s sudden shift of attitude towards Halsey, although, it probably wasn’t so sudden in the Canon, just that they didn’t fully explain it.

I guess my word isn’t that credible, either, though, since it’s been like 8 years since I read FoR and First Strike, but I read GoO, the Kilo 5 books, the Forerunner saga this summer, and I don’t think anything’s that amiss.

Are people really mad b/c Halsey’s being “mistreated?” Get over it, she’s clearly an important part of the story, and they are not going to kill her off. She doesn’t have to have universal praise within the universe, and I’m sure there are plenty of reasons for characters to dislike and mistreat her.

> She doesn’t have to have universal praise within the universe, and I’m sure there are plenty of reasons for characters to dislike and mistreat her.

Nobody said she does need universal praise, please actually read our points instead of flaming us.