Why is Halo CE prized by so many?

I started Halo with CE but didn’t get Xbox Live until Halo 4. My question is: why do so many people think that Halo CE was and continues to be the greatest Halo? I have heard about the “innovation” and “it was the first” or “it revolutionized fps”. But seriously, what is so good about its story that people have clung to for years? I overplayed CE as a kid enough to make me bored of it. It’s story was fine for a first game but kind of simple. Yet Halo 4, which adds character and emotion to Master Chief, gets hate. Did the community want the new games to stay the same in both gameplay and character development?

Halo CE releases, reaction: the music was great, the story was interesting, the game did something new.
Halo 4 releases, reaction: the music was too different, the story was too complicated, the gameplay changed to a difference style.

Halo CE is a basic Halo game that other Halos improved upon. I see it as more of a game setting up the rest of the series, but I don’t think that it is the best purely because it came first. Now when I play it, I feel irritated by the repetitive regions and enemies and limited weapons and abilities. The music just sounds like generic Halo themes vs Halo 2’s High Charity, Reach’s Long Night of Solace, or Halo 4’s Arrival.

I think it comes down to the core of halo. Starting with reach, it began to feel more like call of duty with all the armor abilities. Now I write this actually being a fan and enjoyed halo 4 tremendously. But, I halo 4 a lot of people didn’t like all the abilities and ways the guns worked. I miss the days when BR vs. AR and BR would win everytime assuming you were not close enough for the melee. It feels like a lot of the mechanics and guns have been altered to change the core halo experience. Now halo 5 is a completely different animal in the fact that you no longer played primarily as master chief. I mean, halo is built around him and to make a game where he is the enemy? that was hard to deal with. I hope this helps, it’s my opinion, as I said, I really enjoyed halo 4 multiplayer a lot.

I can’t put it into words man, but for me Halo CE is an amazing game!

It’s because that’s the game that set Bungie on the map, it was a rebellious game, thought out by an independent studio.
Bought by Microsoft, but with their own say-so. It shows, or am I wrong? They put in what they wanted, and they rolled the way they liked it.
But seriously it’s because of that reason, it had a fps gameplay wich NONE of the major fps series have today.
It’s still a game on it’s own, and Anniversary confirmed that. Believe what you will, the change in Halo 4 was immense, I played it…
The Prometheans that teleport are just annoying to shoot, it’s not fun if it pops away right before my name-written bullet vaporizes him.
The flying things that give shield’s to enemy’s are interesting, but unless you shoot precisely, prepare to waste a magazine. - Not fun.
The only fun enemy I really liked was the dog-like Promethean. And of course the Covenant (which actually, physically dodge and move around normally)
It’s bad design, the teleporting thing was just to make them look good for the art, they even admitted it in a making-of video. I never stood still at the music aspect of the game, it never really captured me to be honest.
The story was cool, but the story was done, Halo 3 had an ending. M.I.A, it was beautifully fitting. On to another aspect of the new Halo’s: micro transactions and skins? All there to -Yoink!- your chief, but also flush your money, and it creates an unbalanced game experience. Why do people like the Bungie games? Because they were beautifully simplistic, unique and (for me) the perfect examples of fps games, they figured out a formula that worked, and with every Halo game that followed they improved it, changed some things, but balanced it out perfectly, so you had a new experience but the same formula. (Except Reach, people didn’t really like the armor abilities, it had lots of modern shooter elements, and thus, creating a different Halo experience that freaked some people out)
Cheers!

Halo CE is amazing because it was the start of the Halo series. If you get a chance, you should watch this video that Bungie posted back in 2011 called O Brave New World. It’s a documentary Bungie put together as their final goodbye to the Halo franchise. It gives you an idea on the hype around the early Halo games. Many of us old Halo vet’s were around since the beginning so the early games hold a special place in our hearts. Halo CE and Halo 2 were released in a time where consoles were still fairly new to the online age and long before the market became saturated with games. Honest to God, 95%+ of Xbox owners had an Xbox just to play Halo. Halo was dominate from 2001 to 2008 where everyone was playing!

The documentary might give you an idea but it really is hard to explain. It was something that you had to be there for and experience for yourself. CE was incredible, Halo 3 was the height of the Halo Hype just before it became a competition with Call of Duty and the market became flooded with countless games.

Halo CE is great. It has basic and it’s fun. But then you get the flood which multiplies and the teleporting prometheans. It just gets to be to much.

Maybe is a little bit old but still really amazing to play it

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Hang em high…nuff said…

for me CE’s arena is still the best.
things they removed and changed starting at H2 still annoy me like removing health packs, removing falling damage, changing jump height (like in CE you can’t jump over someone on the same eye to eye level and then H2 started with the jumping like clear over the head which has only gotten more absurd in all FPS games since then), trashing the pistol, trashing the AR, no weird maps like Chiron TL34, and 10+ years of the BR dominance inappropriately called weapon balanced

also CE exists without the toxic waste of ranks, K/D, and any metric of stat tracking
and there wasn’t clans or pub stompers stepping on casuals
people just played it for fun and it should be becoming obvious that these things are part of how todays games are getting ruined

> 2546678360738636;5:
> Halo CE is amazing because it was the start of the Halo series. If you get a chance, you should watch this video that Bungie posted back in 2011 called O Brave New World. It’s a documentary Bungie put together as their final goodbye to the Halo franchise. It gives you an idea on the hype around the early Halo games. Many of us old Halo vet’s were around since the beginning so the early games hold a special place in our hearts. Halo CE and Halo 2 were released in a time where consoles were still fairly new to the online age and long before the market became saturated with games. Honest to God, 95%+ of Xbox owners had an Xbox just to play Halo. Halo was dominate from 2001 to 2008 where everyone was playing!
>
> The documentary might give you an idea but it really is hard to explain. It was something that you had to be there for and experience for yourself. CE was incredible, Halo 3 was the height of the Halo Hype just before it became a competition with Call of Duty and the market became flooded with countless games.

That was so inspiring to read! Thanks, I still recall the good old days where like you said: The market isn’t saturated with games. (And where most games were unique)

You have to understand the history behind Halo CE, as well as the mindset people had back then. It was a different time back in 2001. We didn’t have CoD, GoW, Titanfall, Overwatch, etc. Furthermore, the only successful shooter that had been released on console was Golden Eye on the N64. When Halo CE came to the Xbox, it broke all kinds of expectations.

• Open environments in a FPS game
  • Fluid controls in a console FPS, which I’m going to further break down
    ᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠ- Aim assist is present, but not obvious or invasive, dissimilar to Half Life 1 on PS2
    ᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠ- Enemies stand tall and wide, making them easy to aim at
    ᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠ- The control scheme was well made
    ᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠ- Enemies move in predictable paths and sudden fast movements are not present, making it easier to aim at enemies
  • Only 2 weapons could be held, creating a different gamestyle
  • Although it’s story wasn’t amazing, it’s storytelling was done so well and differently from the way other games did at the time.

All of these things we take for granted in today’s world, so it’s easy to understand why someone today wouldn’t see what the big deal is with HCE, but it was a huge deal back in 2001 because all of these things were new.

I also started with CE. And while it’s personally not my favorite either, I can totally see why it would be a favorite for many. As others have stated, theirs just a lot to like about it.

> 2535416616313329;1:
> I started Halo with CE but didn’t get Xbox Live until Halo 4. My question is: why do so many people think that Halo CE was and continues to be the greatest Halo? I have heard about the “innovation” and “it was the first” or “it revolutionized fps”. But seriously, what is so good about its story that people have clung to for years? I overplayed CE as a kid enough to make me bored of it. It’s story was fine for a first game but kind of simple. Yet Halo 4, which adds character and emotion to Master Chief, gets hate. Did the community want the new games to stay the same in both gameplay and character development?
>
> Halo CE releases, reaction: the music was great, the story was interesting, the game did something new.
> Halo 4 releases, reaction: the music was too different, the story was too complicated, the gameplay changed to a difference style.
>
> Halo CE is a basic Halo game that other Halos improved upon. I see it as more of a game setting up the rest of the series, but I don’t think that it is the best purely because it came first. Now when I play it, I feel irritated by the repetitive regions and enemies and limited weapons and abilities. The music just sounds like generic Halo themes vs Halo 2’s High Charity, Reach’s Long Night of Solace, or Halo 4’s Arrival.

Most people that hold Halo CE to such high regards are not talking about its Campaign or story line its about how good it is from a competitive multiplayer standpoint.

I started with CE, and it is still my favorite Halo. Bungie’s other Halos improved upon the formula in some ways, but none of them have the same exact feel CE has, or many of the multiplayer mechanics that to me make CE the most fun. And I must strongly disagree with you on the music-- CE’s soundtrack is brilliant. If it sounds like generic Halo themes to you, that’s probably because it was the first Halo soundtrack, and set the standard for much of the music used throughout Bungie’s other Halos, especially in Halo 3 where many of the tracks had reprises of Halo CE’s music.

I actually think the story and set-up of CE is very well done. You start off in a cramped ship with small corridors and dark colors, a fairly standard design layout for FPSes at the time, but when you first step onto the Halo ring, you’re in a new, unexpected world, that has a large explorable area, and feels breathtakingly expansive and beautiful. The first time I played the 2nd level was when I became hooked on Halo.
Then you spend half the game fighting the Covenant, thinking they’re the only enemy, just to have the Flood introduced seemingly out of nowhere. And the game suddenly has all these elements of horror, which changes the feel of the story, and I think the build up to that was fantastic.
And I agree that CE’s campaign can get repetitive at times, but that was mostly due to the limitations Bungie had to work with. They had to reuse maps for the campaign, but they made the best of it by altering the feel of the areas (compare the last level to the first level, for example).
CE didn’t have much in the way of character development, but I don’t think it needed it, either. I’m fine with character development, but I don’t particularly like the way 4 handled it, because it just felt too obvious that 343 was trying to go their own way with the Halo story. 5, on the other hand, could’ve used way more character development. But I think Bungie’s Halos had the perfect amount.

> 2535416616313329;1:
> I have heard about the “innovation” and “it was the first” or “it revolutionized fps”. But seriously, what is so good about its story that people have clung to for years? I overplayed CE as a kid enough to make me bored of it. It’s story was fine for a first game but kind of simple. Yet Halo 4, which adds character and emotion to Master Chief, gets hate.

Wake up in a cryo-tube aboard a UNSC ship being boarded by the Covenant. Link up with your AI companion. Fight your way off the ship. Crash land on mysterious Forerunner installation. Walk out of the crash sight and look up in awe at the immense scale of the structure you’ve landed on. Explore the installation as you fight Covenant & track down UNSC forces. Accidentally wake up terrifying monstrosities that go everywhere fighting you and the Covenant. Encounter evil Bond villain who basically has control over the whole place and could easily kill you out right but never does. Have Cortana tune your shields to emit an EMP to disrupt a beam thingy. She takes control over the installation’s teleportation grid …

… Blah blah blah you figure out which game I’m talking about yet? CE & Halo 4 are like 68% the same story … up to a point.

The fact that every shooter today is still using the model Halo perfected is why. That’s why the gameplay still holds up. That’s why so many people still play it. That’s why you can hop in and play it and it can go toe to toe with contemporary shooters in terms of its gameplay. They’re all based on it. How many 17 year old games hold up that well? Hell, the first Witcher game is only 10 years old and that’s damn near unplayable.
You know how console FPS’s work? Two triggers, two analog sticks, a button for your grenades and a melee button? Halo CE first did that. Many of them before that didn’t have hotkeys for melee or grenades. They didn’t have duel analog sticks. Before Halo, the only decent console shooters were Perfect Dark & Goldeneye. Have you played the N64? One analog stick … and you couldn’t even jump in those games. Halo is the game that brought shooters to console. It was also one of the first to tell a decent story with decent voice acting in a FPS with a decent score. It was a pretty impressive piece of work. I remember quite well because I wasn’t a kid when it was out. I was already rather familiar with how shooters worked before Halo. Hell, this is what the first video game I ever played looked like: http://i.imgur.com/H0aHTtg.gif. My dad had an Asteroids machine in the garage and an Atari 2600 and I’ve kept up with gaming ever since, so I can tell you, Halo was a milestone.

> 2533274925041864;11:
> > 2546678360738636;5:
> > Halo CE is amazing because it was the start of the Halo series. If you get a chance, you should watch this video that Bungie posted back in 2011 called O Brave New World. It’s a documentary Bungie put together as their final goodbye to the Halo franchise. It gives you an idea on the hype around the early Halo games. Many of us old Halo vet’s were around since the beginning so the early games hold a special place in our hearts. Halo CE and Halo 2 were released in a time where consoles were still fairly new to the online age and long before the market became saturated with games. Honest to God, 95%+ of Xbox owners had an Xbox just to play Halo. Halo was dominate from 2001 to 2008 where everyone was playing!
> >
> > The documentary might give you an idea but it really is hard to explain. It was something that you had to be there for and experience for yourself. CE was incredible, Halo 3 was the height of the Halo Hype just before it became a competition with Call of Duty and the market became flooded with countless games.
>
> That was so inspiring to read! Thanks, I still recall the good old days where like you said: The market isn’t saturated with games. (And where most games were unique)

Thank you. And yes, the market is over saturated with games now days. Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo, and PC. There thousands upon thousands of games to pick from and trying to decide what to play can be really hard. Back in the old days of the original Xbox, it was either Halo or possibly Battlefront. Everyone who owned an original Xbox had one specifically to play Halo. When Halo 2 came out, literally everyone was playing it! Halo 3 was the same way until 2009 when Call of Duty and Gears of War really started picking up steam then the countless other titles followed suit

I find this a fascinating thread on the longevity of a video game. Having played Halo 4 as my first owned Xbox 360 game this thread has actually encouraged me to seek out a copy of Halo Anniversary. I do have a preference for the old ways (at least some of them), and this reflective discussion on the continued value of Halo Anniversary even when compared with its descendants is satisfyingly palatable.

Where it all began for me. My opinion Halo 3 is the best and Halo 2 being my favorite but Halo CE will always have a place for me!

Pistols friends and pizza.