WHY Is Halo 5: Forge Always Online FOR FORGE MODE?

WHY is it so necessary for Forge Mode in Halo 5 to remain online-only? One of the biggest complaints with Halo 5: Guardians was that Forge Mode sessions were being interrupted by disconnections from the server, costing players hours upon hours of time when they lose their progress because their internet craps out or someone in their house kicks their Xbox One off the router. Sure it makes sense for Warzone, Arena and Custom Games to be online-only- given that those are strictly multiplayer modes- but Forge can be done solo. And for good reason- I’m sure we’ve all got at least ONE Forge story where you’ve been trying to make a map with friends that have caused arguments. Maybe you all have a different view on what the bases should look like, and can’t decide? Maybe someone used up too many items on the central landmark, but wouldn’t let you delete a few bits so you could finish the bridge. Maybe SOMEONE got bored, spawned a bunch of Rocket Launchers and began a monitor-mode genocide.

Like all ‘team assignments’, multiplayer Forging can be a headache-inducing chore. But as it goes, we’ve always had the delightful option of Forging solo. No jerks deleting stuff, no-one bickering over lighting, no ‘too many cooks’ analogies- just one player and their vision of what could be the best map ever- maybe even worthy of being mixed into the multiplayer playlists. Of course this was ruined in Halo 5: Guardians, when Forge was made to rely on the game’s multiplayer servers. Sure you could still Forge alone, but there was always the looming threat of being kicked out of the game before you could finish what you were doing. Just gotta group together Red Base so you can duplicate it for Blue- CRAP, DISCONNECTED AGAIN! And you hadn’t quick-saved since you finished the terrain. This did not go unnoticed- there were THOUSANDS of complaints when this began. It dissipated overtime- maybe people just got used to it, I don’t know- but the problem has yet to be sorted out.

So you’d think, given the community’s voice on the matter, that 343i would fix that second time around with Halo 5: Forge, yes? Well guess what? They did not. Even on this F2P, stripped-down re-release, there is no offline option for Forge Mode. WHY THOUGH?! Why did they overlook it AGAIN?! And this is PC, the land where more people tend to go it alone in map-makers- just look at Garry’s Mod, barely anyone collabs on maps (and rightfully so- those multi-Forge gripes are universal, y’all). So why no offline options? Sure keep Custom Games online, but at least give us the choice! And don’t say “the servers are strong enough”- BULLTRUE [yes, that’s censored]! I’ve had the game for a few hours now, and I’ve yet to have a forge session last 1 MINUTE before getting kicked out. The only thing that seems to allow offline, is the Tutorial. But what’s the point in having an offline tutorial, if people CAN’T STAY IN A SESSION LONG ENOUGH TO USE THE KNOWLEDGE THEY LEARN IN SAID TUTORIAL, BECAUSE THEY CAN’T CONNECT TO THE DAMN SERVER?! I get this is free, but come on 343i- HOW could you screw this up again? This is FREE, and people are still getting jipped!

Anyone else feeling the same way, or am I expecting too much here? I mean an offline option isn’t REALLY too much to ask for, is it?

I just press quick save after every important placement or movement

Yeah- Quick save doesn’t help if you don’t have chance to actually do anything before you’re kicked out.

Some portion of forge operates on cloud computing, which makes it online only. Oh well.

> 2717573882290912;4:
> Some portion of forge operates on cloud computing, which makes it online only. Oh well.

which shouldn’t be the case, from halo 3 to reach, which was a huge improvement for forge, it was able to produce something amazing that didn’t need to be online only. It was a bad call to use the cloud for forge or anything else but it could also have to do with how horribly underpowered the Xbox one really is.

> 2535422616233497;5:
> > 2717573882290912;4:
> > Some portion of forge operates on cloud computing, which makes it online only. Oh well.
>
>
> which shouldn’t be the case, from halo 3 to reach, which was a huge improvement for forge, it was able to produce something amazing that didn’t need to be online only. It was a bad call to use the cloud for forge or anything else but it could also have to do with how horribly underpowered the Xbox one really is.

That wouldn’t explain why it can’t go offline with PC though. If they use the cloud for storage… well, why do they use it for storage? Why not do it how Forge has been done until Halo 4- where we save the maps internally and upload them to a cloud service when we’re done?

> Q: Did you ever consider allowing Forge to be played offline? Because on PC I can’t last 30 seconds before getting kicked off.
>
> A: Yes. We investigated it heavily. Comes down to security of files that were edited offline. Didn’t have time to support it sadly

via Tom French

> 2533274813061580;7:
> > Q: Did you ever consider allowing Forge to be played offline? Because on PC I can’t last 30 seconds before getting kicked off.
> >
> > A: Yes. We investigated it heavily. Comes down to security of files that were edited offline. Didn’t have time to support it sadly
>
>
> via Tom French

Holy crap, that is spooky- I put that on Twitter and it found me here! Huh… so ‘security of files that were edited offline’? So it’s online only to stop people modding maps?

> 2533274835239793;6:
> > 2535422616233497;5:
> > > 2717573882290912;4:
> > > Some portion of forge operates on cloud computing, which makes it online only. Oh well.
> >
> >
> > which shouldn’t be the case, from halo 3 to reach, which was a huge improvement for forge, it was able to produce something amazing that didn’t need to be online only. It was a bad call to use the cloud for forge or anything else but it could also have to do with how horribly underpowered the Xbox one really is.
>
>
> That wouldn’t explain why it can’t go offline with PC though. If they use the cloud for storage… well, why do they use it for storage? Why not do it how Forge has been done until Halo 4- where we save the maps internally and upload them to a cloud service when we’re done?

which is a good reason too which I didn’t mind having to save my maps to the hard drive, never had that issue, which in return no one could figure out what you were working on and steal it if they wanted to.

> 2533274835239793;8:
> > 2533274813061580;7:
> > > Q: Did you ever consider allowing Forge to be played offline? Because on PC I can’t last 30 seconds before getting kicked off.
> > >
> > > A: Yes. We investigated it heavily. Comes down to security of files that were edited offline. Didn’t have time to support it sadly
> >
> >
> > via Tom French
>
>
> Holy crap, that is spooky- I put that on Twitter and it found me here! Huh… so ‘security of files that were edited offline’? So it’s online only to stop people modding maps?

I don’t see the issue in people modding maps, in any case if they were put into matchmaking that player would be banned, Bungie didn’t allow it so why would it be an issue to fix it now by 343. See this is why I don’t get this dev…