Why is Halo 4 so... laggy?

EDIT: THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!

It’s just Halo 4 for me. Halo 3 and Reach plays fine, no lag.

Don’t say “it’s your connection” or “terrible aim”. My Ping is 73 today(usually 65~70).

When I throw grenades there are no grenades being thrown but I lose grenade count. Also played BTB right now, in a Banshee and I shoot the cannon and literally 2 seconds later the cannon fires. When I also boost with the Banshee, I committed suicide.

After this lagfest I went in Halo 3 and Reach to test if it’s actually my connection. No it’s not, H3/Reach played perfectly, no lag, clean gameplay.

Haven’t played H4 for months due to my Gold expiring. My friend gave me his 14 day trial code, so I was looking forward to play with the weapon update.

Holy crap, what’s with the lag?! It’s insane, Sniper shots not registering, takes few seconds for enemies to die after the kill shot(they kill me during the delay of their death), and stuck on 5 second spawn time for awhile.

What happened during my absence, I never experienced this on normal basis. I checked if my connection was bad, but nothing is wrong. Are the servers not working properly or something?

… Just wasted my friend’s Gold trial if this is normal.

Well Halo 4 pushes the 360 too hard but if its just one person playing it should run fine for the most part if there isnt 1 million things happening on the screen however, if you’re mplaying split screen you will get more fps lag and delay but its playable… on halo 4 default maps, on ANY map introduced after the release date such as simplex and you r playing a split screen online game you will be running at like 5 fps

> Well Halo 4 pushes the 360 too hard but if its just one person playing it should run fine for the most part if there isnt 1 million things happening on the screen however, if you’re mplaying split screen you will get more fps lag and delay but its playable… on halo 4 default maps, on ANY map introduced after the release date such as simplex and you r playing a split screen online game you will be running at like 5 fps

I never play split-screen because of that reason lol.

I don’t know why it’s so laggy, it’s driving me nuts!! My NAT is open, internet is running better than usual today, and yet it’s still laggy. I’ve played 2 games so far, Adrift and Solace and the lag was terrible… Come to think of it, they were both JiP games. Can that be the reason?

Depends, could be the host, your connection, 343i trolling you, hackers, gremlins, etc. I play split screen with my lil bro and we almost never have lag issues.

A little advice, open the curtains and let lots of sunlight into your house before you check the wire room.

> Depends, could be the host, your connection, <mark>343i trolling you</mark>, hackers, etc. I play split screen with my lil bro and we almost never have lag issues.

If that is true, I’m not laughing. I’m on a 14 day trial that my friend gave me, I do not want to put it to waste.

Halo did become quite laggy for me in the last week or two. To ridiculous amounts.

Just imagine you’re playing SWAT and shoot a guy in the head. Then he kills you. And in the short time after you’ve died and before you respawn, that guy drops dead and you get the points for shooting him in the face. Sounds awesome, right?

> Just imagine you’re playing SWAT and shoot a guy in the head. Then he kills you. And in the short time after you’ve died and before you respawn, that guy drops dead and you get the points for shooting him in the face. Sounds awesome, right?

Exactly what happened in my 2 games I played. 2 body-shots with Sniper and didn’t go down. So I switched to my BR and went for headshots. I died first, and then the next second he dies.

EDIT: To everyone that says/thinks I missed shots or blaming on lag, well I went into Theatre and my 2 Sniper shots did hit him in the chest, and blood came out.

Well whats your internet speed/ping like, and is it FPS lag/delay or internet lag, if its FPS lag then its just the game but if ure in the game and ure red bar or your ping isnt less than 50 its probably ure net

> Well whats your internet speed/ping like, and is it FPS lag/delay or internet lag, if its FPS lag then its just the game but if ure in the game and ure red bar or your ping isnt less than 50 its probably ure net

Just checked and my Ping and it’s 66, that’s my usual speed(65~70). I believe it’s not my connection, and I’m not having frame-rate lag at all. It’s just my shots aren’t registering, and it’s annoying.

I drilled a guy in the head with 8 sniper rounds before he dropped because of this…

It’s because the population is too low to match people into optimal matches anymore, at least connection wise. But you can just check who is host in the lobby, just press X while the voting takes place, and the person at the top of the list is host.

Go to the gamercard and check their location, and if they are from a place you don’t connect well to just leave the game. This sounds like its unfair for the other people on your team, but hey, 343 didn’t put any search filters so what else are you supposed to do, besides suffer through laggy match after laggy match.

I’m going to give it another try… going to be pissed if it still exists.

> It’s because the population is too low to match people into optimal matches anymore, at least connection wise. <mark>But you can just check who is host in the lobby, just press X while the voting takes place, and the person at the top of the list is host.</mark>
>
> Go to the gamercard and check their location, and if they are from a place you don’t connect well to just leave the game. This sounds like its unfair for the other people on your team, but hey, 343 didn’t put any search filters so what else are you supposed to do, besides suffer through laggy match after laggy match.

Did not know that, that is very helpful information thanks.

Try clearing your system cache, it should help a bit with any latency.The lag wont go away but it shouldn’t be as bad as it is now.

Though not much you can do with the crap netcode and no dedicated servers.The no regional filter sucks a tad bit too.Not to mention the fact the population is very low.A bunch of factors play a role that cause the horrendous amount of lag in some games.

Try what i suggested, it wont hurt to try it.If ya wanna learn how go HERE.

> Did not know that, that is very helpful information thanks.

Yeah I figured it out after some trial and error, after I noticed the person at the top of the list isn’t sorted alphabetically like everyone else. Unfortunately not everyone has their location on their gamercard, but it’s better than nothing.

> Yeah I figured it out after some trial and error, after I noticed the person at the top of the list isn’t sorted alphabetically like everyone else. Unfortunately not everyone has their location on their gamercard, but it’s better than nothing.

Just got out of a game and like you said, I was host in my last game, and did not experience any lag whatsoever. About to search for another game, and hope there is no lag even if I’m not host.

> Try clearing your system cache, it should help a bit with any latency.The lag wont go away but it shouldn’t be as bad as it is now.
>
> Though not much you can do with the crap netcode and no dedicated servers.The no regional filter sucks a tad bit too.Not to mention the fact the population is very low.A bunch of factors play a role that cause the horrendous amount of lag in some games.
>
> Try what i suggested, it wont hurt to try it.If ya wanna learn how go HERE.

Oh, didn’t know 360 had a system cache lol.

halo 4 servers wouldnt be the problem, id say the second biggest issue would be the population but more so ive noticed this game can pick some silly hosts. Back in the days of halo 3 i lagged but even still it wasnt too bad even with my 1-2mb 50-100 ping, as a guy with 66 ping you shouldnt be getting picked for host, internet speed is honestly more than likely the thing affecting you the most with host selection and lower population than halo 3 (hence why i believe halo 3 to be a less laggy game in general even with my poor connection back in that day) being second and third. I have 60 mb 10 ping internet and even when a laggy host is selected the advantage a host can sometimes have is literally non-existant because that persons internet is probably terrible and they r laggin themselves. that host tip is a good find ty sir, i have a good connection so will be interesting to see how often i get host and to see if when im not host the game lags.

woohoo, i didnt know about the “how to see if I am Host”-thing. I will also try to clear my cache folders. after then i ll post if it changes something or not. i have the same problems as <mark>Kei as in K</mark>. Would be cool if it works :smiley:

I haven’t had a problem after the first two games I’ve played… guess it was just dumb-luck for having my first two games laggy as hell.