Why is Halo 3 considered a good casual game?

My problem with Halo 5 is that it is emphasized around competitiveness. I know this is a common viewpoint; Halo 5 attracts the “sweaty kids”. Why is Halo 3 such a popular game when it emphasizes competitiveness too. Halo 3 is not a game I can relax while playing. Halo Reach and Halo 4 are the only games that I can play completely casually. Despite this, many diehard classic fans dislike Reach and 4 because of the casual multiplayer, yet; they dislike Halo 5 because of the competitiveness.

Now this doesn’t mean I dislike Halo 3, just that I have to concentrate and it makes me frustrated when I lose. Halo 3 is a game that I have played years offline, and now discovered that the multiplayer is impossible to play casually.

The one thing that Halo 4 and Reach have in common is armor abilities and mainly sprint and they are the reason why they’re casual games because it promotes less
emphasis on skill. “But how can an armor ability make an entire game less competitive” I hear you asking from afar. Well, allow me to elaborate. Sprint allows you
to flee from gunfights or near death engagements with an opponent. By simply pressing a button you can run away and survive which makes map placements a joke, you
don’t really need to know a map or where to position yourself if you can run across the arena within 10 seconds. This might be the reason why Halo 3 is so much
harder for you, because you’re choices have consequences and armor abilities let you avoid your consequences half of the time but without them you’ll most likely
die because there is no quick means of escape or a way to stall your enemy in Halo 3. All you have is your primary, secondary, grenades, skill and map knowledge
to help you survive (Excluding equipment because you have to find them around the map and they’re on a timer which forces them to be deployed less often then armor
abilities, plus they’re also specific types of equipment on a given map and they’re one time use). Other armor abilities can also save you from death and give you
an advantage, Regeneration Field, Jetpack, Hardlight Shield, Armor Lock, Drop Shield, etc. They all can save you from whatever poor choices you make.
As for your other question, Halo 5 is viewed as competitive because all players are given the same abilities which levels the playing field for everyone and
that is what competitive games are all about, balanced gameplay. Yes it still has sprint but now gameplay and maps are created specifically for it (but it doesn’t
remove the fact that people can still run away) clamber was made because of sprint and allows players to be more efficient but less coordinated in their jumps.
Halo 5 was made as a competitive game and that’s a big reason why a lot of people don’t like it, the past Halo’s offered competitive gameplay but also an enjoyable
environment for casuals, that’s why there wasn’t a Social playlist for the first few months of Halo 5.

I would say Halo 3 is so much more popular than games such as Halo Reach and 4 mostly due to the fact it released when more and more people started getting into halo. For some players it’s more nostalgic in the sense that it might have been their first taste at competitive gaming, not to mention their first taste at Major League competitive halo. As for today people recognize it as the game that got them started, though they may not be frequent players; old school players who are more familiar with older halo’s such as 1, 2, and 3 look to them as good casual games because even if they’re washed up players some still find fun in having a competitive match every couple of weeks.
I see Halo 5 as a good game, but as though it was more or less created to offer up more towards competitive players rather than your average casual gamer.

> 2535416616313329;1:
> My problem with Halo 5 is that it is emphasized around competitiveness. I know this is a common viewpoint; Halo 5 attracts the “sweaty kids”. Why is Halo 3 such a popular game when it emphasizes competitiveness too. Halo 3 is not a game I can relax while playing. Halo Reach and Halo 4 are the only games that I can play completely casually. Despite this, many diehard classic fans dislike Reach and 4 because of the casual multiplayer, yet; they dislike Halo 5 because of the competitiveness.
>
> Now this doesn’t mean I dislike Halo 3, just that I have to concentrate and it makes me frustrated when I lose. Halo 3 is a game that I have played years offline, and now discovered that the multiplayer is impossible to play casually.

> 2535416616313329;1:
> My problem with Halo 5 is that it is emphasized around competitiveness. I know this is a common viewpoint; Halo 5 attracts the “sweaty kids”. Why is Halo 3 such a popular game when it emphasizes competitiveness too. Halo 3 is not a game I can relax while playing. Halo Reach and Halo 4 are the only games that I can play completely casually. Despite this, many diehard classic fans dislike Reach and 4 because of the casual multiplayer, yet; they dislike Halo 5 because of the competitiveness.
>
> Now this doesn’t mean I dislike Halo 3, just that I have to concentrate and it makes me frustrated when I lose. Halo 3 is a game that I have played years offline, and now discovered that the multiplayer is impossible to play casually.

halo 3 as a competitive game was kinda optional unlike halo 5, also halo 3 had good story,custom games,maps,etc while halo 5 wasn’t as good, i also didn’t know halo 5 was competitive game, edit: ok that sounded like a contradiction

> 2533274906908240;2:
> The one thing that Halo 4 and Reach have in common is armor abilities and mainly sprint and they are the reason why they’re casual games because it promotes less
> emphasis on skill. “But how can an armor ability make an entire game less competitive” I hear you asking from afar. Well, allow me to elaborate. Sprint allows you
> to flee from gunfights or near death engagements with an opponent. By simply pressing a button you can run away and survive which makes map placements a joke, you
> don’t really need to know a map or where to position yourself if you can run across the arena within 10 seconds. This might be the reason why Halo 3 is so much
> harder for you, because you’re choices have consequences and armor abilities let you avoid your consequences half of the time but without them you’ll most likely
> die because there is no quick means of escape or a way to stall your enemy in Halo 3. All you have is your primary, secondary, grenades, skill and map knowledge
> to help you survive (Excluding equipment because you have to find them around the map and they’re on a timer which forces them to be deployed less often then armor
> abilities, plus they’re also specific types of equipment on a given map and they’re one time use). Other armor abilities can also save you from death and give you
> an advantage, Regeneration Field, Jetpack, Hardlight Shield, Armor Lock, Drop Shield, etc. They all can save you from whatever poor choices you make.
> As for your other question, Halo 5 is viewed as competitive because all players are given the same abilities which levels the playing field for everyone and
> that is what competitive games are all about, balanced gameplay. Yes it still has sprint but now gameplay and maps are created specifically for it (but it doesn’t
> remove the fact that people can still run away) clamber was made because of sprint and allows players to be more efficient but less coordinated in their jumps.
> Halo 5 was made as a competitive game and that’s a big reason why a lot of people don’t like it, the past Halo’s offered competitive gameplay but also an enjoyable
> environment for casuals, that’s why there wasn’t a Social playlist for the first few months of Halo 5.

I actually enjoy all the things that make Halo 4 hated by so many(AA, sprint, personalized loadouts, flinch, Ordinance, etc.). I like that the randomness allows newer players to have a better chance by narrowing the skill gap. I am a casual gamer, but let’s dive into what that means for a second. Does that mean I don’t care about winning or loosing? No, I just don’t like to take my games too seriously. Am I using less skill in Halo 4 and Reach? Probably, but I don’t really care(hence, why I consider myself casual).

I enjoy games that I can win, feel good about, and most importantly, have a good time. I am somewhat competitive; therefore I don’t enjoy the classic Halo games as much because I am bad at them. It frustrates me because of my competitiveness not because of being a casual gamer.

Now I want to return to the point of my question: how is Halo 3 casual? If I play like I do in Reach or 4, I will get slaughtered in any mode( social or ranked). I have been playing a lot of Halo 3. Every time I play, I focus on not rushing, not dying, paying more attention to teamwork, map control, and reaction time. How do I play like this without being competitive? I have been turning more and more competitive, too stand any chance. In Halo 4, I pick what weapon I want in a loadout and run in, paying little attention to teammates or map control. This is why I can’t wait till Halo 4 becomes backwards compatable. I will probably play the original Halo 3 too. Halo 4 for casual and Halo 3 for competitive. I like both games, I just do see the casual side of Halo 3.

Halo 3 had the best of both worlds. You could be a casual or a sweaty. Halo 2 was the same way

> 2533274826890965;6:
> Halo 3 had the best of both worlds. You could be a casual or a sweaty. Halo 2 was the same way

Yea halo 3’s social slayer playlist was as casual as it could get. I really enjoyed big team battle too

The best multiplayer is halo 3. Halo 5 is good but there is too much difference in connection with other players. Halo reach and halo 4 are too easy.