Why is gameplay in widescreen???

Don’t get me wrong, I’m loving the game so far, but why is the in game action in widescreen? Meaning, I have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen when I’m playing. All the other Halo games I have, in game action takes up the entire screen.

A small problem, and mostly because I’m obssessive compulsive, but I like everything to all match up and be the same. Is there some way, in game, that I can reset the video controls so that in game stuff is fullscreen, like with Reach, Halo 3, ODST etc?

Besides that, I love it!!!

> Don’t get me wrong, I’m loving the game so far, but why is the in game action in widescreen? Meaning, I have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen when I’m playing. All the other Halo games I have, in game action takes up the entire screen.
>
> A small problem, and mostly because I’m obssessive compulsive, but I like everything to all match up and be the same. Is there some way, in game, that I can reset the video controls so that in game stuff is fullscreen, like with Reach, Halo 3, ODST etc?
>
> Besides that, I love it!!!

I feel the same way. I unfortunately still play on a standard definition television and the game itself is in widescreen the entire time, even classic mode. None of the other Halos do this. The games adapt to my screen, but this one doesn’t. It makes things much harder to see and hurts my eyes when all of that extra added detail is crammed onto a smaller screen.

I just really don’t like how this game needs special equipment in order to get the full value out of it. If you want the REAL Anniversary you’ll need to have Reach, Kinect, and an HD or 3D tv. Otherwise you’re paying the same $40 price for half the value.

If it weren’t for those, the slight lag here and there, and lack of original multiplayer this would be my favorite game of all time surpassing the original CE.

I’m crossing fingers for another title update to fix some of these issues.

> > Don’t get me wrong, I’m loving the game so far, but why is the in game action in widescreen? Meaning, I have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen when I’m playing. All the other Halo games I have, in game action takes up the entire screen.
> >
> > A small problem, and mostly because I’m obssessive compulsive, but I like everything to all match up and be the same. Is there some way, in game, that I can reset the video controls so that in game stuff is fullscreen, like with Reach, Halo 3, ODST etc?
> >
> > Besides that, I love it!!!
>
> I feel the same way. I unfortunately still play on a standard definition television and the game itself is in widescreen the entire time, even classic mode. None of the other Halos do this. The games adapt to my screen, but this one doesn’t. It makes things much harder to see and hurts my eyes when all of that extra added detail is crammed onto a smaller screen.
>
> I just really don’t like how this game needs special equipment in order to get the full value out of it. If you want the REAL Anniversary you’ll need to have Reach, Kinect, and an HD or 3D tv. Otherwise you’re paying the same $40 price for half the value.
>
> If it weren’t for those, the slight lag here and there, and lack of original multiplayer this would be my favorite game of all time surpassing the original CE.
>
> I’m crossing fingers for another title update to fix some of these issues.

Same to me. It’s like you must have a HD TV. Let’s give them some time to fix things like these.

I have a 4:3 TV as well, do you really think they will fix this?

I sure hope so.

No offense guys, but you can’t even buy standard definition televisions anymore. Why would they go through all this trouble upgrading the graphics to play on televisions that are obsolete?

> No offense guys, but you can’t even buy standard definition televisions anymore. Why would they go through all this trouble upgrading the graphics to play on televisions that are obsolete?

Just b/c SD TVs aren’t on the market anymore doesn’t mean 343 should assume nobody still has them. They need to incorporate the fact that there are still many gamers out there who still use them. Bungie did with all of their games, but 343 didn’t.

If the Xbox 360 is supposed to support SD TVs, then why doesn’t it’s games?

If 343 took into account users w/o HDD in the last Reach update, then why can’t they take into account users w/o HD TVs for Anniversary?

I just really don’t like how this game is designed for a select crowd, and leaves the rest of us behind when we paid the same $40 as them.

You can use a computer monitor with Xbox’s, that’s what I do. Though I have a widescreen monitor now, I used to have a 4:3. Since Halo has supported things like 4-player split-screen long after most developers started neglecting it, it’s just a little unusual, you know?

I didn’t say 343 should assume nobody has a standard definition TV. I just suggested that they don’t need to worry about formatting a game for obsolete technology, and that’s what standard def TV’s are.

> No offense guys, but you can’t even buy standard definition televisions anymore. Why would they go through all this trouble upgrading the graphics to play on televisions that are obsolete?

Obsolete? Where?

> You can use a computer monitor with Xbox’s, that’s what I do. Though I have a widescreen monitor now, I used to have a 4:3. Since Halo has supported things like 4-player split-screen long after most developers started neglecting it, it’s just a little unusual, you know?

Really?

I know this is a HD remake but is there a way to turn off widescreen? I’m playing on a SD TV and it’s honestly kind of annoying and makes everything smaller.

> I didn’t say 343 should assume nobody has a standard definition TV. I just suggested that they don’t need to worry about formatting a game for obsolete technology, and that’s what standard def TV’s are.

They need to format it for obselete technology b/c some people out there can’t afford anything else. Times are tough right now. Money is tight for a lot of people.

The new graphics will work just fine on an SD TV as long as the screen fits it. Not making the game fit SD is basically like 343 saying you aren’t worthy enough to play this game.

I’m fairly certain that economic turmoil is not a factor into developing a remastered version of a decade old video game.

If all other Halo games fit SD TVs and 343 never said anything about HCEA not supporting it, then consumers would assume that HCEA would support SD TVs the same way that other games do.

If I had known it didn’t, I wouldn’t have paid $40 for the game. I would’ve waited. It’s called withholding information from the consumer, and as this thread’s replies show most SD consumers who bought HCEA are disappointed.

I guess I just never thought about it since I have all HDTV’s in my 20 bedroom house because I’m rich and I ride a golden giraffe to work.

> I’m fairly certain that economic turmoil is not a factor into developing a remastered version of a decade old video game.

And I’m fairly certain that not taking into account every possible screen configuration is lazy programming.

For the record, I can’t think of a single other xbox360 game that does not support a 4:3 aspect ratio.

> > I’m fairly certain that economic turmoil is not a factor into developing a remastered version of a decade old video game.
>
> And I’m fairly certain that not taking into account every possible screen configuration is lazy programming.
>
> For the record, I can’t think of a single other xbox360 game that does not support a 4:3 aspect ratio.

I couldn’t either. I know that Battlefield 3 had a screen adjust system to fit to any TV. HCEA could’ve at least done something like that.

Either 343 just plain forgot this feature, or they were so limited on time that they had to leave it out.

We feel your pain dude. All other Halo games supported SD TVs, but for some reason this one doesn’t.

I don’t think there is a way to turn it off. I’ll try digging around a bit later to see what I can find.