Why is customization getting worse with each game?

As you may know it was recently revealed that customization will be limited to helmets and suits in Halo 5. Only helmets and suits, a whooping 2 options. I can’t be the only one who thinks this is ridiculous. How can a Halo game release in 2015 has less player customization than a Halo released in 2007? Its only been getting worse and worse since it peaked in Reach.

Halo 4 was already heavily criticized for its lack of customization compared to Halo: Reach and now Halo 5 has even less than that. This is getting utterly ridiculous, combine this with no playable elites a feature that was implemented back in 2004 I can’t help but feel 343i has no idea what they are doing. I feel like each piece of information that comes out about Halo 5 the less and less hyped I am. I don’t buy this artistic consistency excuse either as 3, Reach and 4 had more options and they were completely fine.

Sequels are supposed to add features with each new game not remove them.

I can’t agree more but I won’t go into full rant mode again, this is one of the less annoying feature cuts for me but I still don’t understand it either.

343 WAT R U DOIN? 343 STAHP!

Theres also visors.

<em>I am truly disappointed with 343 for this decision * Shakes Head Furiously whilst shouting NOOOO!</em>

> 2533274825022855;1:
> As you may know it was recently revealed that customization will be limited to helmets and suits in Halo 5.Only helmets and suits, a whooping 2 options. I can’t be the only one who thinks this is ridiculous. How can a Halo game release in 2015 has less player customization than a Halo released in 2007? Its only been getting worse and worse since it peaked in Reach.
>
> Halo 4 was already heavily criticized for its lack of customization compared to Halo: Reach and now Halo 5 has even less than that. This is getting utterly ridiculous, combine this with no playable elites a feature that was implemented back in**2004 I can’t help but feel 343i has no idea what they are doing. I feel like each piece of information that comes out about Halo 5 the less and less hyped I am. I don’t buy this artistic consistency excuse either as 3, Reach and 4 had more options and they were completely fine.
>
> Sequels are supposed to add features with each new game not remove them.

100% agree with you it’s just ridiculous. I’d rather have 15-20 armor sets that are fully customizable instead of 343’s most armor sets ever seen with just three lousy options. And let’s not even get started on their design, from soldier in reach to power rangers in Halo 4&5… I mean most of reach armors had sensors, mac bags, protective extra parts, knives, tactical info monitors, grenade bags and munition on it which all looked protective and ready for combat and then there is Halo 4/5’s armor which is more undersuit than armor, like 40% of the body are without armor plating. Then there is no tactical gear at all on them, making each armor look exactly as ineffective as the other ones.

Spartan looked like super soldiers once but seems like 343 is more into the shiny color power ranger look.

> 2533274915983628;3:
> Theres also visors.

Honestly I’m shocked they decided to keep those in.

> 2533274825022855;6:
> > 2533274915983628;3:
> > Theres also visors.
>
>
> Honestly I’m shocked they decided to keep those in.

How is it getting worse? So you can’t customise every part of your spartan but you now get custom weapon skins and vehicles skins so it is not all lose, lose.

I’ve yet to see anyone mention how hard and how much work it is to make customization items for a FPS.

This isn’t simply a paint job. They have to make and model a male/female version of each piece plus texture it with the dozen or more colours. Not only that but they have to make it flow so all the pieces look nice.

Reach had a lot of options to customize your character but most of them were silly. You could change the thing on your wrist to glow or change the pouch on your leg. Could anyone tell if you were wearing pouch A, B or C in game? Or what wrist option you had or what pants you were wearing? I doubt it. Even then, everyone ended up wearing the robot arm, the Emile helmet and the giant shoulder pads with lightening effect. It looked stupid.

In Halo 5 we get body, helmet and visor (maybe undersuit?) which is the biggest distinguishable mark you can see in a players silhouette. You’ll be able to tell which armor their wearing.

And not only that, because the options are limited, 343i can make more options for the body and helmet.

People expect them just to import all the options from previous Halo games into the next one. It doesn’t work like that and Reach’s armor style wouldn’t work in Halo 5.

People wanted more armor through DLC in Halo 4 and they got it. Now they’re going to get it again on a bigger scale with new armor added in constantly through REQ packs.

This is a good thing

> 2535416383459646;7:
> > 2533274825022855;6:
> > > 2533274915983628;3:
> > > Theres also visors.
> >
> >
> > Honestly I’m shocked they decided to keep those in.
>
>
> How is it getting worse? So you can’t customise every part of your spartan but you now get custom weapon skins and vehicles skins so it is not all lose, lose.

Yeah but they don’t replace the degree of individuality you could achieve with a full armor customization. Even if other peoples might not look trough the Spartans in the lobby, it still helps you to identify yourself with the character your controlling.
Don’t get me wrong I like the point that skins are in but not the cost of them (R.I.P. customization)

What? Halo 4 had way more customisation than Reach did… I really don’t understand how you can think otherwise…

> 2533274931864540;9:
> > 2535416383459646;7:
> > > 2533274825022855;6:
> > > > 2533274915983628;3:
> > > > Theres also visors.
> > >
> > >
> > > Honestly I’m shocked they decided to keep those in.
> >
> >
> > How is it getting worse? So you can’t customise every part of your spartan but you now get custom weapon skins and vehicles skins so it is not all lose, lose.
>
>
> Yeah but they don’t replace the degree of individuality you could achieve with a full armor customization. Even if other peoples might not look trough the Spartans in the lobby, it still helps you to identify yourself with the character your controlling.
> Don’t get me wrong I like the point that skins are in but not the cost of them (R.I.P. customization)

Level of individuality? Everyone ended up wearing the highest level/priced item in Halo Reach. In Halo 4 at least people had more options because they could take on different specializations at different times.

> 2533274795233660;11:
> > 2533274931864540;9:
> > > 2535416383459646;7:
> > > > 2533274825022855;6:
> > > > > 2533274915983628;3:
> > > > > Theres also visors.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Honestly I’m shocked they decided to keep those in.
> > >
> > >
> > > How is it getting worse? So you can’t customise every part of your spartan but you now get custom weapon skins and vehicles skins so it is not all lose, lose.
> >
> >
> > Yeah but they don’t replace the degree of individuality you could achieve with a full armor customization. Even if other peoples might not look trough the Spartans in the lobby, it still helps you to identify yourself with the character your controlling.
> > Don’t get me wrong I like the point that skins are in but not the cost of them (R.I.P. customization)
>
>
> Level of individuality? Everyone ended up wearing the highest level/priced item in Halo Reach. In Halo 4 at least people had more options because they could take on different specializations at different times.

I never had that impression, if you go online in Halo reach you will see a lot of cool creations and no one barely looks the same. And specializations were a joke that was over after a week

> 2533274931864540;12:
> > 2533274795233660;11:
> > > 2533274931864540;9:
> > > > 2535416383459646;7:
> > > > > 2533274825022855;6:
> > > > > > 2533274915983628;3:
> > > > > > Theres also visors.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Honestly I’m shocked they decided to keep those in.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > How is it getting worse? So you can’t customise every part of your spartan but you now get custom weapon skins and vehicles skins so it is not all lose, lose.
> > >
> > >
> > > Yeah but they don’t replace the degree of individuality you could achieve with a full armor customization. Even if other peoples might not look trough the Spartans in the lobby, it still helps you to identify yourself with the character your controlling.
> > > Don’t get me wrong I like the point that skins are in but not the cost of them (R.I.P. customization)
> >
> >
> > Level of individuality? Everyone ended up wearing the highest level/priced item in Halo Reach. In Halo 4 at least people had more options because they could take on different specializations at different times.
>
>
> I never had that impression, if you go online in Halo reach you will see a lot of cool creations and no one barely looks the same. And specializations were a joke that was over after a week

It doesn’t matter if they were a joke or not. What matters is that there was no end game armour where everyone picked the same item because it was the highest level or last item available.

People do that because they want to show off which is why most people who were top XP rank in reach (or close to it), wore the robot arm, Emile helmet, big shoulders and lightening armor effect.

> 2533274931864540;12:
> > 2533274795233660;11:
> > > 2533274931864540;9:
> > > > 2535416383459646;7:
> > > > > 2533274825022855;6:
> > > > > > 2533274915983628;3:
> > > > > > Theres also visors.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Honestly I’m shocked they decided to keep those in.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > How is it getting worse? So you can’t customise every part of your spartan but you now get custom weapon skins and vehicles skins so it is not all lose, lose.
> > >
> > >
> > > Yeah but they don’t replace the degree of individuality you could achieve with a full armor customization. Even if other peoples might not look trough the Spartans in the lobby, it still helps you to identify yourself with the character your controlling.
> > > Don’t get me wrong I like the point that skins are in but not the cost of them (R.I.P. customization)
> >
> >
> > Level of individuality? Everyone ended up wearing the highest level/priced item in Halo Reach. In Halo 4 at least people had more options because they could take on different specializations at different times.
>
>
> I never had that impression, if you go online in Halo reach you will see a lot of cool creations and no one barely looks the same. And specializations were a joke that was over after a week

Okay but why are you paying attention that anyway? If I play Halo I play for fun, to win and shoot people I don’t care what they look like I don’t stop go ooo look at what this guy is wearing then die because I was more interested in someones outfit than the game itself. Gameplay is always the most important aspect nothing else. I tell a small lie however the only time I looked at other people is if they played as an Elite then I would make it my mission during that game to -Yoink!- them and kill them as many time as possible for looking so dumb in the first place.

Oh no, now I won’t be able to see that guy’s knee-pads even though no one has ever paid attention to that in-game.

Just when you thought the complaint well had run dry…

Well it really isn’t though. While the lack of modular armor customization sucks, at the same time, we’ve gained quite a bit more than what we’ve lost.

Now we have weapon skins, armor skins, stances, assassination animations, weapon variants, visor colors, vehicle skins and vehicle variants.

It’s not like we’ve lost stuff without gaining something back.

> 2535416383459646;7:
> > 2533274825022855;6:
> > > 2533274915983628;3:
> > > Theres also visors.
> >
> >
> > Honestly I’m shocked they decided to keep those in.
>
>
> How is it getting worse? So you can’t customise every part of your spartan but you now get custom weapon skins and vehicles skins so it is not all lose, lose.

Applying preset skins is not nearly the level of customization you get with mixing and matching differing armor pieces.

> 2533274827167643;10:
> What? Halo 4 had way more customisation than Reach did… I really don’t understand how you can think otherwise…

Really? Did you even play Reach? Outside of skins what did 4 have that Reach did not?

> 2533274825022855;19:
> > 2533274827167643;10:
> > What? Halo 4 had way more customisation than Reach did… I really don’t understand how you can think otherwise…
>
>
> Really? Did you even play Reach? Outside of skins what did 4 have that Reach did not?

A greater range of forearm and leg options and visor colours. Don’t get me wrong, Reach had a lot of variety, but I think saying 4 had less is wrong. In terms of quantity/the amount of things you could do I’d say they were pretty even. The quality of what you could do, now that’s up for debate.

MCC and Halo 5 have just gutted the whole system. Heads and bodies, that’s really it? It’s less than Halo 3!