Why is Chief still an NCO?

As the title states, John holds the rank of Master Chief Petty Officer. I’m just curious why he hasn’t been promoted despite getting loads of commendations and medals (other than game / being iconic reasons)? We have seen other SPARTANs holding officer ranks (before the SPARTAN IVs) such as SPARTAN-B312 (Noble 6) who held the rank of lieutenant and by the time of Halo 5, Fred-104 holds the rank of lieutenant junior grade (so he, in fact, outranks chief).

The simple real world answer is that “The Master Chief” is an iconic name that will never go away.

The in-universe answer is less clear. There’s a comic where I believe Lord Hood asks John his thoughts on promoting and John responds by saying “The Admiral” just didn’t sound quite right, or something to that effect. That being said, Master Chief is the highest enlisted rank in the UNSC. Unless he wants to move into the officer ranks, he’s gone as high as he can go. Although it is kinda funny that he is a Master Chief Petty Officer since that is apparently a rank consisting of Fleet Admin or HIGHCOM staff duties.

> 2535435902217648;2:
> The simple real world answer is that “The Master Chief” is an iconic name that will never go away.

Yeah there’s also some awkward parts in Nightfall and Halo 4 where its literally used as his name.

“This is UNSC Master Chief to station” like what?

It is really like Naruto lol. He save his village, become stronger than the most tanked ninja of his village but he is still a genin.

> 2533274933000695;4:
> It is really like Naruto lol. He save his village, become stronger than the most tanked ninja of his village but he is still a genin.

Yeah except he actually did go on to become a hokage. John is still in the same rank after all these years.

Anyways, it would be “odd” if the top ranking guy was out there kicking enemies rear. The leaders usually stay behind to plot and plan things.

Maybe he just doesnt want to become an officer. Hes more at home in the armor than a uniform. Maybe he doesnt care about the military ranking system and just wants to serve.

As for why in lore Chief isn’t promoted I don’t know, but Noble Six was under jurisdiction of the Army, not the Navy, that’s why he has the rank of lieutenant.

> 2533274828524404;5:
> > 2533274933000695;4:
> > It is really like Naruto lol. He save his village, become stronger than the most tanked ninja of his village but he is still a genin.
>
> Yeah except he actually did go on to become a hokage. John is still in the same rank after all these years.
>
> Anyways, it would be “odd” if the top ranking guy was out there kicking enemies rear. The leaders usually stay behind to plot and plan things.

Yeah I totally agree with you. However MC should get some promotion.

Likely doesn’t want the extra responsibility on his shoulders since he turned down the hints of being commissioned.