Why is auto aka aim assist so high and what is its purpose?

The auto assist on reach is very very high. Go to custom games and go from left to right over an opposing spartan. You will realize how much your aim is helped. It seems like it is significantly better than it was on halo 3. What is the reason for such a high auto assist? Wouldn’t not having an auto assist lead to aiming taking more skill and everyone having a larger room for improvement? Surely the reason isn’t just to help people that are bad at aiming. I don’t really know the answer to why auto assist is needed. What do you guys think? I think it should be lessened or removed from the game. To just make it less would probably be the best option. I think gamers have gotten skilled enough with the controller that they can have the training wheels taken off. The emphasis in a fps should be shooting and accuracy. Even though teamwork and strategy are vital to a fps that should come second.

Auto-aim is a feature incorporated by Bungie first then the rest of the FPS developers as a way to combat the effects of lag and host advantage.

Also, it is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than halo 2 and halo 3. The only game that is lower than Reach in autoaim is halo 1, but there was no xbox live in halo 1 so it wasn’t as necesarry.

> Auto-aim is a feature incorporated by Bungie first then the rest of the FPS developers as a way to combat the effects of lag and host advantage.

I did not know this. It seems worse to me on halo reach than halo 3. Also, can you explain how auto aim combats lag? I know it makes the target easier to hit. But, wouldn’t that make the host be able to aim better too? So the host would still have the advantage? Right?

H4 needs lower aim assist and smaller hitboxes (less bullet magnetism). It pathetically to use the AR, even the DMR on default settings. Also, strafe acceleration must be upped. A higher skill gap is always good.

The aim assist is so bad that I have been killed because the game switched targets on me. I agree with the strafe speed and skill separation though. Both need to go up.

> Also, it is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than halo 2 and halo 3. The only game that is lower than Reach in autoaim is halo 1, but there was no xbox live in halo 1 so it wasn’t as necesarry.

Auto-aim is definitely higher in Reach than in Halo 3. Anyone can find the reticule pulled like a magnet, just go to Firefight and aim over a bunch of grunts. I understand the concept of aim assist, but wonder as well why it needs to be so strong these days.

I thought the hitbox or whatever its called was for lag. Bullet magnetism is just to help people who can’t aim.

> Also, it is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than halo 2 and halo 3. The only game that is lower than Reach in autoaim is halo 1, but there was no xbox live in halo 1 so it wasn’t as necesarry.

Aim assist or bullet magnetism is higher in Reach then Halo 3. That’s why you have bad players running with the sniper pulling of no scopes. Only above average and awesome could pull a no-scope of repeatedly in 3. Now even a friend who has a .57 k/d is capable of doing it quite often.

Simply because Reach was, for a lack of a better word, “noobified” more so than previous halo games.

I agree they made the game more for social players than the competitive crowd. I’m not attacking the people who play for fun. I’m just speaking the truth. The game is to easy and has a low ceiling for how good you can be.

> I thought the hitbox or whatever its called was for lag. Bullet magnetism is just to help people who can’t aim.

The Hitbox is the game’s representation of your character; basically your character’s geometry. Its what allows your character to be shot/run over/affected by the game world. Its basically a set of squares and rectangles put together in the shape of the character.

Bullet Magnetism is the way games compensate for lag by gently steering bullets that should’ve hit but may have missed based on lag or bad host. Except for Halo 2, Halo game shave never really had an issue with this. Call of Duty is a game that relies heavily on bullet magnetism and is a far better example of it.

Auto-Aim/Aim Assist is developers attempting to compensate for the fact that the thumbstick isn’t as precise an aiming device as a mouse, cannot react as fast and and is harder keep on target. Games on console almost all use it to a varying degree, with few exceptions (Shadowrun being one).

I believe it is needed. Reach just has too much of an auto assist. Go to custom games. Get another person to stand in front of you about ten feet away. Look to the left of him. The scroll to the right passing the character. Then you see how bad it is.

I don’t know about aim assist, but one thing is for sure, you can be a total frube on Reach and get kills alot easier than Halo 3 ( AR melee Frags Armour lock Sprint etc… )

> I believe it is needed. Reach just has too much of an auto assist. Go to custom games. Get another person to stand in front of you about ten feet away. Look to the left of him. The scroll to the right passing the character. Then you see how bad it is.

I know what Auto-Aim is.

It just doesn’t bother me since I use 10 sensitivity.

> …just go to Firefight and aim over a bunch of grunts. I understand the concept of aim assist, but wonder as well why it needs to be so strong these days.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that aim assist and bullet magnetism are stronger in Campaign/Firefight settings.

Also, the reason it’s stronger is due to the audience. More and more gamers don’t actually know how to play games without them playing themselves. Arcade racers these days are a joke, along with most FPS games.

I always thought the fun part about gaming was knowing that a game was difficult and that if you actually became good at a game it was an accomplishment. Halo Reach has the lowest skill ceiling of any halo game by far. I never got real serious into halo until halo 3 came out. It took me a year to where I could get competitive with the better players. I feel as though if reach was my first halo game it would have taken me maybe a month to become good. The skill in reach is not in running and gunning. The skill lies with hiding behind walls and good teamwork. This isn’t the players fault. It just isn’t possible to be better than other people. All the good players are at a deadlock in skill.

> Simply because Reach was, for a lack of a better word, “noobified” more so than previous halo games.

> I always thought the fun part about gaming was knowing that a game was difficult and that if you actually became good at a game it was an accomplishment. Halo Reach has the lowest skill ceiling of any halo game by far. I never got real serious into halo until halo 3 came out. It took me a year to where I could get competitive with the better players. I feel as though if reach was my first halo game it would have taken me maybe a month to become good. The skill in reach is not in running and gunning. The skill lies with hiding behind walls and good teamwork. This isn’t the players fault. It just isn’t possible to be better than other people. All the good players are at a deadlock in skill.

Please, stop making me post this video this video. Constantly stating a non-fact will not make it true if enough people believe it to be so.

Aim assist as high as it is has to do with latency and lag issues. That it exists already in Halo is because it is a console shooter. XBL-play is very random and actually a simulation of a game, not an representation of a game as though it were played LAN. For that aim-assists help players of all skill levels play.

If perfect precision shooting is your preference of how to judge skill, I do suggest looking to PC-FPSs and not console FPSs for your fix. It’s the nature of the beasts. Consoles have to have more aim-assists than PC.

That video was of halo 2. Reach has a WAYYYY higher aim assist than that in my opinion. Why do you need aim assist that high on a game where the movement speed is so slow? Without DMR bloom good players would probably have a 80% hit rate. (random estimate just to prove a point)