Why is 343i keeping Sprint?

Now LISTEN…before you go trolling my OP about the same argument that has been reshashed a bazillion times since Reach, hear me out: This isnt the same question you are accustomed to reading on Waypoint. So please just give this a bit of thought. Thanks!

Why do you think 343 wants to keep Sprint in Halo? Not why a majority of fans hate Sprint, but why 343 insists on keeping it in Halo right now when they know for a fact that MANY people arent fond of it?
PLEASE…please dont throw out the old argument “343 want to make Halo like CoD” or that “343 wants to make Halo noob-friendly”. You guys beat a dead horse with those arguments.

Because if a new comer to the Halo series jumps on Halo 5 and says “What is dis why cant i sprint -Yoink- dis me needz to play sum cod”

It’s a requirement for modern day shooters these days and even though Halo is different which is what makes it good, 343 doesn’t care what Halo used to be or should be and try to make it look cool enough for people to preorder even if it turns out to be a piece of crap.

To make you feel more like a spartan. In the books it says that spartans can run really fast (38.5mph or something), however the previous game movement feels like walking pace.

You can’t really increase the speed without the sprint mechanic, because it would feel wierd being able to strafe at 60kph, or have forward movement scaled faster than moving sideways or backwards.

Fortunately they seem to have found a way to implement sprint while dealing with the problem of people running away from gunfights with the shield mechanic.

Unfortunately halo fanatics don’t like this change, because it is a change. They apparently play Halo because it doesn’t have sprint, and it’s not ‘Halo’ without its old fashioned slow pace.

I personally play halo for its gunfight mechanics, and while slow pace does have certain gameplay advantages, it doesn’t mean that I won’t accept sprint ever in a halo game; it doesn’t mean that sprint doesn’t come wih its own advantages. What I won’t accept is changing the reticle to massive crosshairs, and the ttk to a split-second.

I actually find Halo 4’s gameplay fun (I think its more enjoyable than other non-halo shooters), although the loadouts pretty much means that everyone has a ranged rifle, so equal starts in H5 is good news. I also enjoyed playing Halo 1-3 mp in the mcc, so im not biased.

> 2533274872578239;3:
> To make you feel more like a spartan. In the books it says that spartans can run really fast (38.5mph or something), however the previous game movement feels like walking pace.
>
> You can’t really increase the speed without the sprint mechanic, because it would feel wierd being able to strafe at 60kph, or have forward movement scaled faster than moving sideways or backwards.
>
> Fortunately they seem to have found a way to implement sprint while dealing with the problem of people running away from gunfights with the shield mechanic.
>
> Unfortunately halo fanatics don’t like this change, because it is a change. They apparently play Halo because it doesn’t have sprint, and it’s not ‘Halo’ without its old fashioned slow pace.
>
> I personally play halo for its gunfight mechanics, and while slow pace does have a certain gameplay advantages, it doesn’t mean that I won’t accept sprint ever in a halo game. What I won’t accept is changing the reticle to massive crosshairs, and changing the ttk to a split-second.
>
> I actually find Halo 4’s gameplay fun (I think its more enjoyable than other non-halo shooters), although the loadouts pretty much means that everyone has a ranged rifle, so equal starts in H5 is good news. I also enjoyed playing Halo 1-3 mp in the mcc, so im not biased.

Seems you’re about the only one that gives some thought to this matter and understans that if you play the same style of Halo for a decade, it gets a little old after a while haha.
I am welcome to new things in Halo, but they have to be done RIGHT. Sprint is better in Halo 5, but not perfect. There are still too many Abilities, and the button combos/layouts are trash.
I am slighly optimistic for H5s multiplayer, but I am SIKKED for the campaign!

> 2533274924814769;2:
> Because if a new comer to the Halo series jumps on Halo 5 and says “What is dis why cant i sprint -Yoink- dis me needz to play sum cod”
>
> It’s a requirement for modern day shooters these days and even though Halo is different which is what makes it good, 343 doesn’t care what Halo used to be or should be and try to make it look cool enough for people to preorder even if it turns out to be a piece of crap.

I agree…it almost seems like devs think Sprinting mechanics are a requirement ONLY because Call of Duty, Battlefield, and other popuolar FPSs popularized it. But the truth is, some games can be played VERY well without it. All the 13 year olds out there who think CoD is the best game out there have no idea what a quality FPS is…they just play what is popular with the game industry.

Shouldn’t a spartan be able to sprint? I mean like, wow, does he have to jog everywhere he goes?

343 probably wants Halo to be as fast-paced as the other major FPS titles like Battlefield ad CoD.

> 2535428610650002;6:
> Shouldn’t a spartan be able to sprint? I mean like, wow, does he have to jog everywhere he goes?

Spartans should sprint, but in the area of multiplayer mechanics, sprinting in Halo doenst work very nicely unless you implement it really well.

I found that implementing Sprint for Halo 5 seems to work quite well and a lot better than it did for Halo 4.
The shield regen being stopped is perfect and if someone runs away you are NOT forced to run after them and then into a group of 2+ enemys. If they run, sometimes just let them and get them again later on. It adds this dynamic which i think the Anti-sprinters are so stuck in their ways of, “i’ve managed to get your shields down so you are my kill” attitude that they don’t understand it has become a tactiacl decision to either finish fighting and die or run away and ambush them if they follow.

After getting good at halo’s 1-3, I was able to easily become better than others who spent all their time playing call of duty, or similar shooters. That is because they take skill. All of this sprint and beat down, or jetpack, shield crap is just special effect fluff. Halo used to have a special place in gaming because it had a sport event like feel because it was so skill oriented. These new halo titles have minimized skill of headshots and straffes and added in special effects. They are like the movie industry when 3d got big. Storylines and quality was put second to action scenes and effects. Lets get back to the good old days. MLG.

> 2533274865694708;10:
> After getting good at halo’s 1-3, I was able to easily become better than others who spent all their time playing call of duty, or similar shooters. That is because they take skill. All of this sprint and beat down, or jetpack, shield crap is just special effect fluff. Halo used to have a special place in gaming because it had a sport event like feel because it was so skill oriented. These new halo titles have minimized skill of headshots and straffes and added in special effects. They are like the movie industry when 3d got big. Storylines and quality was put second to action scenes and effects. Lets get back to the good old days. MLG.

Not sure I agree with your thinking on new Halo minimizing headshot skill and strafe. They are skillfull to an extent in Halo 5, but they are a tiny bit easier than they should be. Its all about the aim assist and bullet magnetism that 343 just loves to add into the game lol.

> 2533274805386380;11:
> > 2533274865694708;10:
> > After getting good at halo’s 1-3, I was able to easily become better than others who spent all their time playing call of duty, or similar shooters. That is because they take skill. All of this sprint and beat down, or jetpack, shield crap is just special effect fluff. Halo used to have a special place in gaming because it had a sport event like feel because it was so skill oriented. These new halo titles have minimized skill of headshots and straffes and added in special effects. They are like the movie industry when 3d got big. Storylines and quality was put second to action scenes and effects. Lets get back to the good old days. MLG.
>
>
> Not sure I agree with your thinking on new Halo minimizing headshot skill and strafe. They are skillfull to an extent in Halo 5, but they are a tiny bit easier than they should be. Its all about the aim assist and bullet magnetism that 343 just loves to add into the game lol.

True that

People need to just move on and stop trying to live in the past. Every FPS out now basically has sprint and there’s no logical reason not to have sprint in Halo in this day and age. When I first played halo I could understand because Halo pick up the community from Prefect Dark, 007, and other shooters out at that time which had no sprint back then. But now every shooter has it and if Halo didn’t there would be no point for even trying to have competitive community for the game if its boring and not as epic as the other shooters out there.

> 2533274804280158;13:
> People need to just move on and stop trying to live in the past. Every FPS out now basically has sprint and there’s no logical reason not to have sprint in Halo in this day and age. When I first played halo I could understand because Halo pick up the community from Prefect Dark, 007, and other shooters out at that time which had no sprint back then. But now every shooter has it and if Halo didn’t there would be no point for even trying to have competitive community for the game if its boring and not as epic as the other shooters out there.

Sorry to say, but that isnt putting much thought into the subject. Just because most FPSs, or all, use a form of running around doesnt mean all games need to follow.

> 2533274801098279;9:
> I found that implementing Sprint for Halo 5 seems to work quite well and a lot better than it did for Halo 4.
> The shield regen being stopped is perfect and if someone runs away you are NOT forced to run after them and then into a group of 2+ enemys. If they run, sometimes just let them and get them again later on. It adds this dynamic which i think the Anti-sprinters are so stuck in their ways of, “i’ve managed to get your shields down so you are my kill” attitude that they don’t understand it has become a tactiacl decision to either finish fighting and die or run away and ambush them if they follow.

I agree, and It’s just another layer of strategy, plus after you die, it gets you back to the “hot-zone” faster.

> 2533274804280158;13:
> People need to just move on and stop trying to live in the past. Every FPS out now basically has sprint and there’s no logical reason not to have sprint in Halo in this day and age. When I first played halo I could understand because Halo pick up the community from Prefect Dark, 007, and other shooters out at that time which had no sprint back then. But now every shooter has it and if Halo didn’t there would be no point for even trying to have competitive community for the game if its boring and not as epic as the other shooters out there.

I agree with this, too. I remember playing Grifball and getting killed & sent back to the “starting line” only to have realized “Oh yeah, this is Grifball Classic, I can’t run”. Then having to “wait-walk” back to the action. Y’all know what I’m mean AND it can be applied to every multiplayer map after Bungie gave us sprint.

> 2533274872578239;3:
> wasTo make you feel more like a spartan. In the books it says that spartans can run really fast (38.5mph or something), however the previous game movement feels like walking pace.
>
> You can’t really increase the speed without the sprint mechanic, because it would feel wierd being able to strafe at 60kph, or have forward movement scaled faster than moving sideways or backwards.
>
> Fortunately they seem to have found a way to implement sprint while dealing with the problem of people running away from gunfights with the shield mechanic.
>
> Unfortunately halo fanatics don’t like this change, because it is a change. They apparently play Halo because it doesn’t have sprint, and it’s not ‘Halo’ without its old fashioned slow pace.
>
> I personally play halo for its gunfight mechanics, and while slow pace does have certain gameplay advantages, it doesn’t mean that I won’t accept sprint ever in a halo game; it doesn’t mean that sprint doesn’t come wih its own advantages. What I won’t accept is changing the reticle to massive crosshairs, and the ttk to a split-second.
>
> I actually find Halo 4’s gameplay fun (I think its more enjoyable than other non-halo shooters), although the loadouts pretty much means that everyone has a ranged rifle, so equal starts in H5 is good news. I also enjoyed playing Halo 1-3 mp in the mcc, so im not biased.

I agree. I thought the main reason people played Halo over CoD was the gunfight mechanics. Halo is all about taking out the shields, then going for the kill before the shields recharge again, where CoD is just about something Halo Swat players can understand as “body-swat”– bang you’re dead, instead of bang, bang, bang, bang, now you’re dead. Which one do you think takes more skill and strategy?

I think it’s because it gives more urgency to the combat. Matches feel much more fast paced and frantic, and I like that. I don’t have a problem with Halo 1-3’s speed, I have been playing H2:A MP and H4 MP interchangeably on MCC and enjoy both; neither is better or worse for me, they just fit those particular games in the series. While reverting back to a single movement speed for Halo 5 would seem odd seeing as they chose to have sprint in 4, I wouldn’t be heart broken if they did.

Modern day shooter require fast pace play. In Order to fit the fashion 343 has added sprint, ADS ect. I don’t mind, I mean Spartans are super soldiers so I see nothing wrong w/ halos modern progression. This is no longer Bungies Glorified Halo. Spartans run, jump, climb, and talk too.

I think sprint would be better if there was another risk like getting slowed down a bit while taking damage durning sprinting but hey that’s just me