Why I think 343i should bring dual wield back

Dual Wielding is just something that has become a part of what Halo is. Along with Equipment (scrap AAs, bring this back), it added a new layer of strategy that wasn’t forced, kept you guessing, mixes things up, and made Halo even less of a rock paper scissors game by adding so many weapon combinations. SMGs did normal damage to health and shield, Plasma Rifle did more shield damage and didn’t have to be reloaded, but also doing less health damage, and the Spiker did bonus health damage, less shield damage, had a small mag, and bonus melee damage. Not to mention the Magnums, Mauler (SMG or Plasma Rifle with this in the bases of Standoff or High Ground were amazing), Plasma Pistol, along with the first three, you had insane amounts of combat situations combined with what area and map you were in, along with the standard non-dual wield weapons.

I’ve never seen balanced dual wielding mechanics in a PvP game. It’s either too powerful (Halo 2) or too weak (Halo 3). Leave it out.

I would have to agree with Shamona220. I think Halo is much better without dual wield.

In all fairness, dual wielding is no longer part of halo. Look at the last 2 main games for proof.

The new system is so simple and uniform allowing for less errors.

We have three types of guns. Pistols, Primary weapons and Power weapons.

Duel wields are too hard to balance and won’t fit into any of these categories without ruining the fun of the mechanic.

And trying to make duel wields it’s type of weapon in the game would require a lot of balancing and while that happens problems are probably going to rise up so it’s just not worth the trouble.

I would like dual wielding if it could be balanced properly perhaps as another thread suggests they could do forced dual wield. If they stick with loadouts for the next Halo perhaps as an example you could select two SMG’s as your primary weapon instead of the assault rifle for example?

> I’ve never seen balanced dual wielding mechanics in a PvP game. It’s either too powerful (Halo 2) or too weak (Halo 3). Leave it out.

Duel smg’s rocked in Halo 3. I was a terror on the Pit with those things.

Dual Wielded Boltshots

> Dual Wielded Boltshots

You know, that WOULD be a way to differentiate it from the pistol if you took away the charge. Right now it would just be a weaker pistol with no zoom, but that way you could make both of them at full speed more powerful than the pistol, with the tradeoff that you don’t have a scope or grenades.

Dual Wielding needs to return. I’m sorry but the reasons against it are just ridiculous. “It’s imbalanced”, AA’s and Loadouts aren’t?

> Dual Wielding needs to return. I’m sorry but the reasons against it are just ridiculous. “It’s imbalanced”, AA’s and Loadouts aren’t?

WORD!

In all seriousness, if you make it semi balanced when you have two, then having one is 100% worthless. That means that you might as well just make it so you can only have one and balance it around that for game play reasons. There just isn’t any depth to it.

I would be 100% in favor of replacing the SAW with dual SMGs as the automatic power weapon in the next game. B.A.!

> > Dual Wielding needs to return. I’m sorry but the reasons against it are just ridiculous. “It’s imbalanced”, AA’s and Loadouts aren’t?
>
> WORD!
>
> In all seriousness, if you make it semi balanced when you have two, then having one is 100% worthless. That means that you might as well just make it so you can only have one and balance it around that for game play reasons. There just isn’t any depth to it.
>
> I would be 100% in favor of replacing the SAW with dual SMGs as the automatic power weapon in the next game. B.A.!

Why replace it? Ever since I saw sketches of an LMG in the concept art for Reach I’ve wanted one. Personally, I’m not huge on the drum magazine because that seems like it would be awkward to carry if you were a soldier, but it’s still awesome.

There’s a really simple and big difference between dual SMGs and the SAW, you can melee and throw nades while holding the SAW.

Why do we have to keep getting rid of weapons? It’s annoying, if I had the choice I’d throw all the weapons into Customs Games for consistency and simply to not lose cool guns.

I’m gonna be honest. I was never fond about Duel Wielding b/c if you want to throw a grenade, you would have to drop the weapon and then throw the grenade which takes long. I rather wield only one weapon in my hand, instead of two.

Also, whomever said, “Duel Wielding Boltshots” that would be extremely unbalanced, especially that Charge Shot, lol. Its like carrying two shotguns.

> > > Dual Wielding needs to return. I’m sorry but the reasons against it are just ridiculous. “It’s imbalanced”, AA’s and Loadouts aren’t?
> >
> > WORD!
> >
> > In all seriousness, if you make it semi balanced when you have two, then having one is 100% worthless. That means that you might as well just make it so you can only have one and balance it around that for game play reasons. There just isn’t any depth to it.
> >
> > I would be 100% in favor of replacing the SAW with dual SMGs as the automatic power weapon in the next game. B.A.!
>
> Why replace it? Ever since I saw sketches of an LMG in the concept art for Reach I’ve wanted one. Personally, I’m not huge on the drum magazine because that seems like it would be awkward to carry if you were a soldier, but it’s still awesome.
>
> There’s a really simple and big difference between dual SMGs and the SAW, you can melee and throw nades while holding the SAW.
>
> Why do we have to keep getting rid of weapons? It’s annoying, if I had the choice I’d throw all the weapons into Customs Games for consistency and simply to not lose cool guns.

Aesthetically and conceptually I just think dual SMGs would be neater. No reason you couldn’t melee with dual wielding if you wanted to. Especially if SMGs were the only dual wielding option, you could even make it so when you switch weapons you don’t drop one (package deal, two or none) and the only limitation is no grenades. If you just balance from the start using three assumptions, there is no problem.

1. you will have two- don’t have to worry about making it usable with 1
  2. they are a power weapon- doesn’t have to be balanced with other weapons because as a power weapon its supposed to be powerful in a unique way from the rest of the sand box.
  3. no grenades- affects how you would go about balancing it, can’t throw a grenade with no free hand

I’d rather they just focused on LMG’s. They fit in better with the sandbox.

That Vanquish Forerunner LMG someone conceptualized looks awesome.

My only gripe with the SAW is it’s too easy to use and a bit too powerful.

> It’s annoying, if I had the choice I’d throw all the weapons into Customs Games for consistency and simply to not lose cool guns.

Frankly you can’t just pile and pile items into a game and expect it to remain competitive and balanced.

It’s simply pointless to bring them back just for the sake of it.

> It’s simply pointless to bring them back just for the sake of it.

I feel like the precision rifles crowd the sand box s little bit right now. Of course, without any real use for map spawns, it doesn’t really matter much in Halo 4.

Grenade launcher was my favorite gun in the franchise. Would like to see it come back at the expense of the sticky det.

> I’d rather they just focused on LMG’s. They fit in better with the sandbox.
>
> That Vanquish Forerunner LMG someone conceptualized looks awesome.
>
> My only gripe with the SAW is it’s too easy to use and a bit too powerful.
>
>
>
> > It’s annoying, if I had the choice I’d throw all the weapons into Customs Games for consistency and simply to not lose cool guns.
>
> Frankly you can’t just pile and pile items into a game and expect it to remain competitive and balanced.
>
> It’s simply pointless to bring them back just for the sake of it.

How many popular Custom Games have ever been truly balanced? I’m not demanding the use of all weapons from Halo’s past in Matchmaking, I just want to keep the unique weapons we had. Having to go back to an older Halo game, like Reach, if I want the Plasma Launcher for a gametype where all the walls are shield doors is unnecessary.

To all those that say duelies are too hard to balance, please take a seat.

You say they are too hard to balance, yet 343 makes over half of the in-game weapons one shot kills? That is unbalanced. Making a majority of the weapons kill in one hit is rediculous and is what helped ruin halo 4.

There is no excuse as to why duelies shouldnt be in halo 5. Halo needs more weapon diversity and adding more ordanace weapons/ one shot kill (zero skill) weapons is not an option.

Duelies were always fun and required players to aim their shots, unlike every other weapon in the H4 universe. I think they deserve to come back.

Everyone knows that dual wielding in real life is about as effective as asking an obese man to do a triathalon, right? It just breaks arms, and is nearly is impossible to aim two guns at once… And I would even say it would be extremely difficult for a spartan to aim two guns at once while running or doing something else.

> I’ve never seen balanced dual wielding mechanics in a PvP game. It’s either too powerful (Halo 2) or too weak (Halo 3). Leave it out.

How was it “Too Powerful” in Halo 2? It was perfect.

On spawn, you had a full on BR and SMG. And if you went out of your way to pick up a second weapon, you had a combo that could dominate CQC vs a BR, but would still get beat out at longer ranges.

The reason so many players Dual Wielded AS OPPOSED to relying on their BR was simple mathematics. In Halo 2, you by default spawned with an SMG. Most maps, especially in 4v4, had no more than 2 BRs on them, and MAYBE one Carbine. While most maps had several Dual Wieldable weapons. Thus Dual Wield became extremely common. But Dual Wield’s relatively small advantage vs a BR, meant that in BR starts, only a player who knew they would be in close quarters needed to dual wield.

But that was the kicker, you had to PICK UP your dual wield, like it was a power weapon.

Not to mention, Dual Wield would actually successfully balance out a few of the problems we have now in Halo 4.

The Boltshot would get the nerf it NEEDS, as Dual Wield would justify it as a 2 overcharge kill, instead of one. (Perhaps even nerfed to where one overcharge doesn’t even fully break the shield, requiring 2 headshots from a primary weapon to finish a player off, as opposed to 1).

The Plasma Pistol needs it’s overcharge tweaked to be less effective at EMPing vehicles and players obviously. But if you could Dual Wield Halo 4’s plasma pistols, they would actually be able to kill something semi-automatically, as you would get twice the power.

The Magnum needs to fill more of a backup sidearm role as opposed to being a simple mini-DMR. If the Halo 4 Magnum had no scope, and was dual wieldable, did slightly less damage but with a higher magazine capacity, it would probably balance out quite a bit better.

The SMG, and Plasma Rifle could both see a return with Dual Wield, as spawnable sidearms. It would be awesome.