Why I like Smart Scope

Obviously, this been a topic of controversy on the forums. I would like to share my reasons why I welcome Smart Scope. I do not think it’s a flawless feature but I do think it brings much more positive points than it does negative.

Let me also set this straight from the beginning, I’m not here to argue. So don’t bother trying to pick apart my post and reply with something like “This isn’t a good argument for Smart Scope, nice try”. I am open to discussion but I’m not here to spur the horde or to attempt to “justify” 343’s design decisions.

What always made precision weapons more interesting and ultimately the definitive weapons of the series is that they had a learning curve not seen in other weapons due to the fact that they could zoom while others could not. Why not try to apply this sort of learning curve to all weapons? A big part of Halo is learning when to zoom and when to hip-fire, as seen with the Battle Rifle and all other precision weapons. This is something unique to Halo and Zoom vs Hip-Fire is very balanced. In games like COD and Destiny, hip-firing isn’t a good tactic unless you’re extremely close to your target, it’s always better to ADS and even then you lose some mobility. The games are forcing you to slow all your momentum to be able to even hit a player. This reduces the combat to running, stopping, shooting and then back to running.

In Halo this is simply not the case. Zooming in is only necessary when you are trying to hit a far away target. In most situations, you want to be hipfiring so you maintain full view of the area and keep your motion tracker up. Weapons like the AR now have more depth and can hold their own ground for once. This makes Halo’s multiplayer more diverse and discourages the need to have things like BR starts just to have an enjoyable match that isn’t completely one sided.

Smart Scope also looks very sci-fi and fitting to the Halo universe. I see people complaining about visibility issues but I don’t agree that this is a problem. You have plain sight of your target when they are in your sights, the way it was intended to be. Maybe some old school gamers that only have played Halo games find it jarring but the vast majority of players are already used to it from other games and they certainly welcome it, even if it doesn’t function the exact same as other games’ ADS. It’s a brilliant way to attract new players while changing the way the game plays at the same time.

sorry AR starts do not have a place in competitive play. no matter if they have a scope or not. also the smart scope is the scope we have in every halo but 5.

> 2533274795515722;2:
> sorry AR starts do not have a place in competitive play. no matter if they have a scope or not.

Which I find is a problem that definitely needs to be rectified. If the AR has no edge that gives it a purpose at all, I rather it be removed completely rather than clutter the disk.

There is no “hip fire” in Halo. Spartans are already holding their weapons in the ready position, not at the hip.

> 2533274814289862;4:
> There is no “hip fire” in Halo. Spartans are already holding their weapons in the ready position, not at the hip.

I used hip-fire for the lack of a better word.

> 2533274873310828;3:
> > 2533274795515722;2:
> > sorry AR starts do not have a place in competitive play. no matter if they have a scope or not.
>
>
> Which I find is a problem that definitely needs to be rectified. If the AR has no edge that gives it a purpose at all, I rather it be removed completely rather than clutter the disk.

I agree 100%

I like smart scope. Most of the beta I killed without scoping. The only time I scoped was for the majesty of the new light rifle and hydra launcher.

> Which I find is a problem that definitely needs to be rectified. If the AR has no edge that gives it a purpose at all, I rather it be removed completely rather than clutter the disk.

AR STARTS have no purpose in competitive play. That doesn’t mean the weapon itself has no reason to be there. Though if I’m to be completely honest it’s outshined by the SMG almost entirely.

> Weapons like the AR now have more depth and can hold their own ground for once. This makes Halo’s multiplayer more diverse and discourages the need to have things like BR starts just to have an enjoyable match that isn’t completely one sided.

I really can’t agree with any of that.

1. Reducing the differences between weapons makes the game less diverse.
  2. The AR can hold its own ground just fine…within its proper niche.
  3. There’s other ways to implement depth to the weapon. Ce isn’t a great example but it’s still an example, quick camo and faster melees open up new opportunities without changing the AR into essentially an easier-to-use-BR.

> Smart Scope also looks very sci-fi and fitting to the Halo universe.

I’d argue it looks less sci-fi.

> 2533274819302824;8:
> > Which I find is a problem that definitely needs to be rectified. If the AR has no edge that gives it a purpose at all, I rather it be removed completely rather than clutter the disk.
>
>
> AR STARTS have no purpose in competitive play. That doesn’t mean the weapon itself has no reason to be there. Though if I’m to be completely honest it’s outshined by the SMG almost entirely.
>
>
>
> > Weapons like the AR now have more depth and can hold their own ground for once. This makes Halo’s multiplayer more diverse and discourages the need to have things like BR starts just to have an enjoyable match that isn’t completely one sided.
>
>
> I really can’t agree with any of that.
>
> 1. Reducing the differences between weapons makes the game less diverse.
> 2. The AR can hold its own ground just fine…within its proper niche.
> 3. There’s other ways to implement depth to the weapon. Ce isn’t a great example but it’s still an example, quick camo and faster melees open up new opportunities without changing the AR into essentially an easier-to-use-BR.
>
>
> > Smart Scope also looks very sci-fi and fitting to the Halo universe.
>
>
> I’d argue it looks less sci-fi.

If all gametypes were BR/smg or ar (currently how team brs is) than its niche is filled. And give the BR 2mags instead of 3 to balance it slightly. BR for long range and AR for close range

> 2533274819302824;8:
> > Which I find is a problem that definitely needs to be rectified. If the AR has no edge that gives it a purpose at all, I rather it be removed completely rather than clutter the disk.
>
>
> AR STARTS have no purpose in competitive play. That doesn’t mean the weapon itself has no reason to be there. Though if I’m to be completely honest it’s outshined by the SMG almost entirely.
>
>
>
> > Weapons like the AR now have more depth and can hold their own ground for once. This makes Halo’s multiplayer more diverse and discourages the need to have things like BR starts just to have an enjoyable match that isn’t completely one sided.
>
>
> I really can’t agree with any of that.
>
> 1. Reducing the differences between weapons makes the game less diverse.
> 2. The AR can hold its own ground just fine…within its proper niche.
> 3. There’s other ways to implement depth to the weapon. Ce isn’t a great example but it’s still an example, quick camo and faster melees open up new opportunities without changing the AR into essentially an easier-to-use-BR.
>
>
> > Smart Scope also looks very sci-fi and fitting to the Halo universe.
>
>
> I’d argue it looks less sci-fi.

What I meant by being more diverse was having a more diverse weapon sandbox. We have 3 different versions of the Battle Rifle which utterly dominate the sandbox.

I don’t believe the AR can hold its own against anything besides an SMG. The AR was always meant to be an automatic weapon that bridged the gap between an SMG’s close range dominance and a precision weapons range. It wouldn’t even hold a candle to a BR’s range/accuracy or even the killing power of an SMG at close range but it would provide some of the benefits of both worlds. This is something the AR has simply not done until the Halo 5 Beta.

There are other ways to implement depth but lets be honest, zooming is the most natural and makes the most sense. Why not keep these changes? The Halo 5 AR isn’t ruining any other gun’s parade.

It’s subjective whether Smart Scope looks futuristic or not, I suppose. But what exactly was so sci-fi/futuristic about zooming in old Halo games? Now we have a truly unique zoom for each weapon, complete with holographic displays thanks to the Spartan’s HUD.

Old BR Scope

New BR Scope

The old BR scope is just a circle with slightly faded peripherals on the outside. It doesn’t have its own ammo readout (uses the top right corner just like when hip-firing) and it just looks like we are looking through a plain ACOG scope. The new one has its own holographic display that sways with the gun, has its own ammo readout, range readout, zoom magnification, and interesting geometrical shapes with the holographs that aren’t even limited to being directly on the gun itself.

I’m not trying to bash on the old design, I just don’t think it looks sci-fi at all in comparison to Smart Scope.

I really like Smartlink Scope, It looks really beautiful and less plain compared to traditional Halo scopes.

Curiously for me, it didn’t feel any different to the old Halo scopes functionality but the Sniper’s scope-delay was awful.

They are removing that for launch though so I can’t wait to use it again.

> 2533274819302824;8:
>
>

Precisely my point. I always swap the AR out for the SMG simply because it is that better.

I envision the AR to be an at least adequate jack-of-all trades starter until you find a weapon of choice (and can still hold its own if you can’t) rather than a pathetic master of none that gets wussed on by a lot of weapons.

Also, what do you mean by no purpose in competitive play yet still relevant?

EDIT: To add on, I do not want a seasoned player with an AR to be beaten out by a “stormtrooper” with a BR simply because of the weapons they are holding.

> 2533274833600810;5:
> > 2533274814289862;4:
> > There is no “hip fire” in Halo. Spartans are already holding their weapons in the ready position, not at the hip.
>
>
> I used hip-fire for the lack of a better word.

Regardless, smart scope is still not needed. What’s the point of an animation of bringing the gun up to their face when they’re already holding the gun in that position?

> 2533274814289862;13:
> > 2533274833600810;5:
> > > 2533274814289862;4:
> > > There is no “hip fire” in Halo. Spartans are already holding their weapons in the ready position, not at the hip.
> >
> >
> > I used hip-fire for the lack of a better word.
>
>
> Regardless, smart scope is still not needed. What’s the point of an animation of bringing the gun up to their face when they’re already holding the gun in that position?

Of course it’s not needed. It’s a video game; none of it is needed. It’s there because it looks cooler than a circle. That’s it.

> 2533274814289862;13:
> > 2533274833600810;5:
> > > 2533274814289862;4:
> > > There is no “hip fire” in Halo. Spartans are already holding their weapons in the ready position, not at the hip.
> >
> >
> > I used hip-fire for the lack of a better word.
>
>
> Regardless, smart scope is still not needed. What’s the point of an animation of bringing the gun up to their face when they’re already holding the gun in that position?

Just because they’re super-soldiers doesn’t mean they were always sprinting at full speed pre-Reach, nor does it mean because they are holding the weapon in an assault posture that they are able to snipe the wings off a fly down range without focus.

Going from free-fire/unscoped fire to smart scope is more about going from an accurate shooting posture to a precise shooting posture. Or if you will, going from aiming at a large target to going to aiming at a small target. It’s still aiming and not Rambo/Scarface hip-firing.
That is why free-fire is no different than previous Halos and precision weapons are no different than Reach, on. And if you will…

The AR and M6 don’t ADS like the SMG, BR or DMR do. And many power and heavyweapons have a “standard Halo” scope aniation.
The AR is held tighter but not down sights. The M6 is held up but the hitting reticle isn’t centred with the iron sights. The SMG, BR and DMR line up their hitting reticles with their sights when scoped. And of course the Legendary weapons are said to have “standard scoping.”
So really to follow a lot of these so-called technicalities, “ADS” only exists on a few weapons in H5, not every weapon.
Spartans are still using their HUD’s and armour to assist in shooting.

I love Smart Scope. I’ve always preferred precisions due to many of their bonuses over fullautos and this is an alternative to H4’s way to balancing in these tricky beasts.
There is still a need to mind one’s weapon and range BUT if one has superior position and/or awareness, one isn’t at the mercy of “fullautos are reserved for close range while precisions can be used at almost any range.”
And the look isn’t too shabby. I like how the loadout weapons are smooth in animation when zooming in and out. I love how I can pop domes while taking damage with a precision and it feels smoooooooth while doing so.

I love the addition of smartscope. I also agree that it makes the scopes look more futuristic-y and polished. I loved it in the beta, and hope they don’t change much of the functionality of it. Obviously the benefits can be toned down a bit, but the functionality and delay of the scope in were perfectly timed to me.

Instead of going ADS (and people can split hairs all they want but it’s still ADS) I think they should have reworked the old zoom to look more modern & sci-fi and also to represent what the spartans might actually see when their armor links with the gun and the visor enhances their vision & aiming.

It would have taken one of the things that sets Halo apart from all the other shooters and made it even MORE unique, all while being more consistent with the lore. But instead they just caved and did what the other shooters are doing.

> 2533274795515722;2:
> sorry AR starts do not have a place in competitive play. no matter if they have a scope or not. also the smart scope is the scope we have in every halo but 5.

They very much do, h5 was the most competitive with ar starts, it made you fight for the br power instead of spawning with it.

When I really think about it, I’m not too sure what their incentive was to change from classic to Smart Scope. Smart Scope works nice and all, but why did they need to do it? I know I’ve argued for the mechanic in the past, but it just want to know the thought process behind the decision.

> 2533274867157068;19:
> When I really think about it, I’m not too sure what their incentive was to change from classic to Smart Scope. Smart Scope works nice and all, but why did they need to do it? I know I’ve argued for the mechanic in the past, but it just want to know the thought process behind the decision.

Same reason the game needed sprint, perks, ordnance, and so on.